Author Topic: Wenger Swiss Army Knives are back as....  (Read 938 times)

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
Wenger Swiss Army Knives are back as....
« on: September 13, 2017, 04:22:14 PM »
Swiza knives.  These are a totally redesigned SAK and I like them.  I always liked the Wenger brand more than Victorinox because the scissors and can openers worked better.  The new ones are pretty basic but I am sure they will expand the line as time goes on.  Check them out on eBay or Amazon.
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: Wenger Swiss Army Knives are back as....
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 04:36:45 PM »
Probably a matter of taste like anything else. :shrug:   

I don't know about the difference in the scissors, but I'll kick your a$$ in a race between my Victorinox can opener vs. your Wenger. :taunt:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 04:56:26 PM »
I have carried "A" SAK everyday since 1982 ......lately added a Mini on key ring and money clip...
As far as I know they have all been Victorinox and I have used all of them, changing models every once in awhile..
I use the crap out f them

When they get retired....that are missing scales, broke blades, spring gone on scissors , toothpick missing ....and even burn marks on the blade from short across a starter solenoid.......

Can't say if I ever had a Wenger...????
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 05:07:16 PM »
My very first hiker was a Wenger. I didn't think there was a difference. I carry a champ now. My favorite tool is the saw blade. The main reason I wanted a hiker at age 16.

I need more info on this lifetime guarantee. My main blade is missing the point and the screw driver/bottle opener is snapped clean off.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 06:37:03 PM »
I cannot remember where I read Swiza was the old Wenger but it makes sense.  Victorinox bought Wenger and probably sold off some capacity to some execs who left Wenger in the merger.  Just speculation.  Wolfy, I would not challenge you to a race to get to the contents of a can of food if I had a hand grenade and you had a toothbrush.  I own about 6 SAKs, 5 of them are Victorinox because they had the tools I wanted.  I still prefer my Victorinox SAK Multitool to the other big names.
-John Denver

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 06:57:52 PM »
I prefer the Leatherman Super tool or any of the subsequent versions of them to the various Swiss Army knives and their tools.  The saw seems to work better and the can opener does too.  Just my opinion of course, yours may vary. 

Of course if you use the scissors a lot (for what I cannot imagine) then the SAK has the advantage in that department. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 09:02:47 PM »

Of course if you use the scissors a lot (for what I cannot imagine) then the SAK has the advantage in that department.

Fingernail clipping.......wire insulation stripping...the is a notch on the opener, but scissors better.
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 04:55:53 AM »
I read that the CEO of Swiza is the former CEO of Wenger.  Fancy that.
-John Denver

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 10:10:15 AM »
All things considered....If and when I am in the market for a new SAK ....I would look at both....

So thanks for posting...wasn't aware they were not around again, till now.....

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 10:21:22 AM »

Fingernail clipping.......wire insulation stripping...the is a notch on the opener, but scissors better.

I had a SAK with scissors a long time ago.  One of those models that had just about everything including the toothpick.  The scissors were terrible finger nail clippers on the one I had, a Victorinox.  Looking at some of them on the net they look the same to me and are, at best, second rate clippers.  I actually don't strip much wire except in the shop and there I use a wire stripper. 

My main complaint with them is they don't do anything really well.  Like most multi-tools they are a compromise and in the case of the SAKs they don't have pliers which are kind of useful so they don't get any attention from me.  I don't like non-locking knife blades on anything as I am somewhat of a klutz at time and a locking blade saves me a lot of bandaids.  They do have pretty good awls on a lot of the models and the GAK is one I would consider if the blade had a liner lock.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 10:26:51 AM by wsdstan »
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 10:46:42 AM »
Scissors are unimportant to me.....I hardly ever use them.  Heather loves hers, so on the rare occasion that I do, like when I need to clip an extra-long nose hair, I borrow hers. :lol:   I had to replace the spring in hers about 10 years ago and it took two of us and a bench vise to make it happen.....little teeny bugger that takes 2 people and 4 hands to install. >:( >:(

Another strike against the current Swiza offerings for me is the lack of a toothpick.....by far, my most-used 'blade.'  It's why my Victorinox Farmer with no toothpick rides in the toolbox and my Hiker rides in my pocket.  I have extra toothpicks in reserve if I lose one.  It happened ONCE.....never again. 8)

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 11:42:48 AM »
The Swiza main blade has a unique type of liner lock. Push the button under the logo cross to close the blade.  A new one available only in Europe right now also includes a wood saw.  No scissors yet but I guess you could saw your fingernails off.  And the blades are 440c at RC 57.
-John Denver

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 11:53:33 AM »
Thanks for that information QC,  I might look at the one with the lock. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 12:32:00 PM »
THe SAK in not and end all proper tool for anything.......as pointed out.

But as a... JIC... tool with you don't have all the proper tools with you ....and works well enough to get by.

35 years worth makes it a important EDC tool.

BTW found a place on the interweb, that had a Mini Key chain knife   and 6 toothpicks and 6 tweezers for like $20 bucks ...Don't see that offer now.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2017, 01:04:11 PM »
hunter that is exactly right.  The SAK and various multi-tools are JIC tools.  Thinking about it I have a multi-tool in every vehicle, the tractor tool box, the skid steer cab, and the ATV storage box, the street motorcycle, the dirt bike kit.

(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2017, 04:20:08 PM »
I figure that as long as I'm going to be carrying SOME kind of pocket-knife anyway, it might as well have some useful doodads on it, too. :shrug:

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2017, 04:48:40 PM »
Thanks , I kinda like the C06 , orange one with a saw.
What a great day to be outside.

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2017, 04:49:24 PM »
FYI, the scissors are great for braided fishing line. Use mine all the time.

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2017, 07:32:13 PM »
The corkscrew.....when you grab the wrong wine bottle without the screw cap.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2017, 09:36:35 AM »
I have always preferred the Victorinox brand better than Wenger.  I don't use any with scissors.   These Swiza branded knives look very nice indeed.  I like the curved handle, and the little cut outs on the blades to help getting them deployed.
Might have to order one of those 'Silva' models. 
Thanks for posting this

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2017, 12:20:50 PM »
In a previous post, I mentioned replacement toothpicks and scissor springs for SAKs, but not a source for them.  :P     They also have tweezers, scissor screws, batteries, etc.

Here ya' go.....
https://www.swissknifeshop.com/1/swiss-army/swiss-army-replacement-parts?gclid=CjwKEAjwl_PNBRDcnobn1dvCk1ESJADimmVFCdWDx7BDWrAbW31y8Zkjo2VwG80aV_DbIWb8iY-sOhoCXmjw_wcB

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2017, 03:07:41 PM »
Well, I received my D04 Suiza Knife today and honestly, I am a bit disappointed.  It is well made and has the feel of a traditional SAK but the blades are all thinner than Victorinox.  It came sharp but not sharp enough for my taste.  I will fix that.  The awl functions as a normal awl and a precision cutting tool which is actually an improvement. The rubbery scales are OK but Mora has a better feel.  I think for the $33 price, it was not a bargain when compared with a Victorinox or an old Wenger.  I will keep it and use it, though.
-John Denver

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2017, 03:52:46 PM »
Thanks for that review.  I haven't bought one yet but that kind of kills it for me.
(Mark Twain)

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2017, 04:39:20 PM »
Well, Opinel blades are quite thin too and are excellent slicers.  I am a belt and suspenders guy, i like my stuff to be fairly robust.  This blade steel is 440c which is going to be more abrasion resistant than the lower carbon Victorinox steel.  It may be thinner by design.
-John Denver

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2017, 05:59:36 PM »
My Opinel knives are thin but they are mostly kitchen knives for me or at least something I like to peel apples with.  I think my collection of thin blades is enough.  I like thicker blades as well so something like my smaller Buck folders will do nicely when compared to the Swiza.
(Mark Twain)

Offline dancan

• Whetstone +
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2017, 04:54:48 PM »
Thanks for the review , saves me from getting a case of buyers remorse .
I did look long and hard , I like the shape but only see reference to 440 on their website , not what grade it is .

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
-John Denver

Offline dancan

• Whetstone +
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2017, 06:10:25 PM »
Hmm , not sure , only 440 listed on the Swiza sight

https://www.swiza.com/en/Products/Swiss-Knives/SWIZA-D02.html

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2017, 07:15:38 PM »
 440 A and B and F are not generally chosen for cutlery.  Not to say the couldnt use them but it is not the best design choice.  I can also see a distributor adding a C because they were accustomed to seeing it.  Heck, big names like Buck use 420j.  One of the things I dont like about Victorinox is a somewhat softer steel.
-John Denver