Author Topic: Silky Big Boy 2000 XL Folding Saw  (Read 968 times)

Offline ThoseWhoWander

• Mill File+
Silky Big Boy 2000 XL Folding Saw
« on: September 29, 2017, 01:46:39 AM »
Hi guys, I made a video review of the Silky Big Boy 2000 XL that I'd like to share with you guys and get your thoughts on.  I personally feel in love with it.  I've used several others: Bahco, Fiskars, and some other brands you can get at home improvement stores.   Man this thing cuts through wood like a laser!  The weight isn't too bad at all considering how well it cuts. 

I've taken it backpacking and we had a ton on fun making firewood.  I used the Silky and my Junglas.   I'm sorry but I don't have that particular Silky/Junglas tag team footage in the video review.

Offline Punty

• Whetstone +
  • puntyventures.com
Re: Silky Big Boy 2000 XL Folding Saw
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 08:04:01 AM »
  I tried this saw, but there were a couple of things I didn't care for about it.

It cuts great for most applications, but those huge teeth don't cut well in dense, frozen wood. To be expected, of course...but that's a problem for me.

Mostly, though, I just can't seem to use it without unlocking the blade from my hand trying to choke up on the handle. That's a problem with the user, not the saw, but it's something to be aware of. It was a problem that I just couldn't overcome.

I went through laplander (which I like a lot, but it has size limitations), the Corona Saw, and this one. I ended up just buying a a 15" Stanley Fat Max, and I love it, but now I have to figure a way to make a sheath for it. I wish I knew a kydex guy.

The Silky Saw is now in a good place, in the workshop at my cabin. It gets used plenty, but I fear someone will break the blade not knowing how to properly use it.
If the iron be blunt, and he do not whet the edge, then must he put to more strength: but wisdom is profitable to direct.
Ecclesiastes 10:10

Offline ThoseWhoWander

• Mill File+
Re: Silky Big Boy 2000 XL Folding Saw
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 06:07:54 PM »
  I tried this saw, but there were a couple of things I didn't care for about it.

It cuts great for most applications, but those huge teeth don't cut well in dense, frozen wood. To be expected, of course...but that's a problem for me.

Mostly, though, I just can't seem to use it without unlocking the blade from my hand trying to choke up on the handle. That's a problem with the user, not the saw, but it's something to be aware of. It was a problem that I just couldn't overcome.

I went through laplander (which I like a lot, but it has size limitations), the Corona Saw, and this one. I ended up just buying a a 15" Stanley Fat Max, and I love it, but now I have to figure a way to make a sheath for it. I wish I knew a kydex guy.

The Silky Saw is now in a good place, in the workshop at my cabin. It gets used plenty, but I fear someone will break the blade not knowing how to properly use it.

Thanks for your insight brother.  Very good points you bring up.  I don't camp or backpack much in the snow, but maybe I'll do more this winter.  The ice changes everything.

Funny story about others using the saw.  One of my backpack buddies wanted to use the Silky and I was more than happy to let him- less work for me since I was in charge of the fire wood and I wanted to share the awesomeness of the tool.  I handed him the saw and explained to him how to use it properly and why that was so, the harden teeth, and he said he didn't want to use it anymore. I think he was offended or was afraid of breaking it.    I told him I want him to use it and I was just passing along manufacturer's instructions and as long as he did that, everything would be fine.    I think a lot of people, myself included, are used to overbuilt products that are dummy proof.  Those products are great but tend to have some drawbacks.  With the Silky, I love the longer lasting teeth so following the basic instructions are well worth it. 

Thanks for sharing your  thoughts @Punty