Author Topic: Spam, canned ham, and other potted meats  (Read 477 times)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Spam, canned ham, and other potted meats
« on: October 31, 2017, 11:26:35 AM »

Since we're on the topic of Spam, it would be interesting, informing, and entertaining if some of us posted some of the ways we use these meats in our recipes both at home and in camp other than sliced and fried or roasted over the fire.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: Spam, canned ham, and other potted meats
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 11:33:00 AM »
I cut it into small chunks and put in the macaroni and cheese you get in a box.  (do the same with hot dogs too).

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 11:58:35 AM »
  Not long ago I read a post (don't remember which forum) from a guy who was explaining how he made rice in the bush without the need to use any measuring device, it involved sticking his index finger into his pot and adding the dried rice up to the first joint, then filling the pot with water, shaking it up and then dumping out half the water in an effort to rinse the rice and.........., In my opinion it was allot of trouble and work just to avoid a little measuring, since rice involves only one part rice and two parts water it doesn't matter much what is used for a measure.
  What that got to do with Spam you ask, well I use rice often as a base for some of my campfire meals, and I often use Spam as both a protein and a flavor enhancer along with finely chopped onion, celery, bell pepper, and carrots, add a little chopped ginger and some Soy and you have oriental rice, when it's cooked toss in some diced spam and let it sit for a few minutes and enjoy.
  I might add that I quit using regular rice in camp, I found that the new (?) Minute Rice is easier, quicker, and tastes almost as good,  when using minute rice I put all my ingredients in including salt, pepper, oil, and a little chicken bullion in the cold water and then bring it to a boil for a few minutes to cook the veggies before adding the rice, equal parts of rice to water, put it in the boiling flavored water give it a stir, cover and take it off the heat, in ten minutes it's done.
  I prepare most of the ingredients at home,  substitute potatoes for the rice, add a can of creamed corn and some evaporated milk and you have creamy potato/corn chowder, use the diced Spam in both.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 12:36:48 PM »
Spam musubi.  The egg McMuffin of the Hawaiian Islands.  Fried Spam on a block of rice wrapped in nori.    That was my breakfast down there for months.
(If you remove the top and bottom of the Spam can, you have a mold for the rice.)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 12:52:10 PM by madmax »
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 01:08:55 PM »
I believe I read somewhere that Hawaii uses more Spam than any other state in the union. :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 01:50:05 PM »

Yup, my sister in law lives on Kauii and 'P' goes out to visit her every once in a while for a month or so,  and she's told me often that they have very inventive ways of sneaking Spam into their daily menu planning.

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 02:57:31 PM »
Hawaiians definitely love their Spam. Hawaii's Spam Bandits:

http://www.grubstreet.com/2017/10/hawaii-spam-robberies.html

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 03:41:03 PM »
Spam musubi,
one you'll need sticky rice not long grain
cook rice ahead of time let cool to shape
fry da spam, setaside shape rice place on nori
smear a little wasbi paste on rice
put a slice of daikon on each end of da musubi
for broke da mouth kine musubi.roll it up and pau it's done.

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2017, 04:12:45 PM »
Ate a lot of deviled ham when I was a kid.  Haven't had it for a long time, but I'd still take it over Spam any day.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2017, 05:23:06 PM »
I used to eat it a lot too Nuke.  It is good to throw a few in your pack, those wrapped in white paper, Underwood, I think, was my favorite.  Don't know why we stopped using them but haven't had any for quite some time. 

From a bushcraft standpoint it is a pretty good thing to add to rice, soup stock, or was a meal right out of the can.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2017, 09:16:17 PM »
My hands-down favorite for camping meals when it comes to canned meats is "beef hash".  Not corned beef hash, but regular beef. Both come with tiny cubes of potatoes in it, but the corned beef is too mushy and never fries up crisp, IMO.
My signature breakfast when hunting with my buddies was a bed of well done beef hash in the skillet, dimples pressed into the meat, and a egg poached in each "cup". 
I like the Deviled Ham made into a spread like you would tunafish, and eaten in sandwiches.
Now we're talking about tuna fish...in a can. Good for so many dishes, especially mac and cheese.
Can we put sardines on the list?  They come in a can, right?  A couple of cans of sardines in my pack are part of my emergency rations.  (As a side note, if you're really stuck in the bush, sardines made one of the best trap baits you can imagine.)
Back to potted meat. Canned corned beef, sliced for sandwiches is near the top of my list.
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 10:27:02 AM »
Spam Salad!  chopped Spam, relish, diced onions, some of my Guava hot sauce and some Duke's Mayo. 

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2017, 10:48:36 AM »
That could work!
I've even used left-over Taco meat in sandwich spreads. Enough extra ingredients, and mayo, and just about any "mystery meat" will do.  ;D
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2017, 06:19:22 PM »

When I need a quick breakfast (I always have a half a can of Spam in the fridge,  not the same one),  I make a couple of toasts,  butter them and add a slice of warmed Spam, wash it down with a cup of fresh made brewed coffee, works for me.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2017, 02:35:29 PM »
I have used spam as a bacon substitute a time or two. You have to slice it very thin, around 1/16" thick slices, and cook it until it is well browned and crispy. It isn't quite as satisfying as bacon but it is way better than nothing.

I also do a bit thicker slices, like 3/16" and make spam and egg sandwiches with scrambled eggs and a slice of cheese. These are decent breakfast fare.

If I don't want to go to the trouble to make a real pot of red beans and rice, I'll open a can of Blue Runner red beans and I'll dice the spam into pieces about he size of, well, dice. And then brown them well in a skillet and toss them into the beans.

I've taken Vienna sausages and dumped them into a bowl, and with a fork, mashed them until they were like a paste. Mixed with mayo and a little seasoning, this makes a nice sandwich or saltine cracker spread.

Offline OffGrid9

• Supporting Member
  • Mill File+
  • Too soon old, too late smart
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2017, 01:11:57 AM »
Considering the title of this thread, I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned Potted Meat.

I grew up in Virginia, camped and hiked throughout the south, and everywhere I went, the small country stores carried Libby's and Armour potted meat in tiny cans, maybe 3 oz each (we thought the Armour product tasted better).  Back in the mid-50's, it was a dime a can, most places.  I remember the wizened owner of a tiny store in south-west Virginia, sold cans for 20? apiece, or four for a dollar. :crazy:  I laughed so hard I damn near soiled myself, but he said some folks went for it.   :rofl:

I was pretty fond of it.  We could toss a dozen cans in a side pocket of a pack, and it wouldn't spoil.  We liked it on crackers, or potted meat sandwiches (with mustard and catsup).

I hadn't had it since '61, but I read this thread and old memories came swarming back.  I decided to try it again.  The best price I found was at Walmart's web-site, six cans for $3.50.  It arrived a couple of days ago.  It doesn't taste the same as when I was a kid.  They changed the recipe, added "mechanically separated chicken".  Google that if you want to gag.  But it's not too bad...still a little grainy, salty as ever, best eaten with unsalted soda crackers -- the meat has enough salt, you don't need more.

If you didn't grow up eating this stuff, and thus never developed a taste for it, you may not like it.  But you know, it's strange...a taste or a smell can summon up more memories than a photograph or an old 8mm home movie.  I traveled back to the mid 50's, and remembered old friends, good places, good times.
From 30 feet away she looked like a lot of class. From 10 feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from 30 feet away.  ― Raymond Chandler, from The High Window   [ LSHISM ]

Offline Sarge

• Water Stone
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2017, 07:03:37 AM »
Well, this does bring back memories. I haven't had any potted meat in years. I went years without touching Spam but for some reason I started buying it again a few ago.

I regularly take the single serving packages on the trail. It makes a nice addition to instant mashed potatoes, mac & cheese, various rice/pasta sides.

I'll eat it at home on occasion. Like PW said, thinly sliced and fried extra crispy it is somewhat bacon-like.

I like to dice it up and fry it with diced potatoes and onions - pretty tasty hash.

And lastly, here is my version of Eggs Benedict .... er... Eggs Been-a-Redneck. Fry up a couple slices of Spam, place them on a piece of dry white toast, and top with a couple poached eggs. It ain't bad.

"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2017, 09:52:54 AM »
 Honestly, I don't know why those tinned meats are still being sold,  we have seven kids and 10 grandkids, the youngest grand child is 17 yrs. old, our children all were brought up having had deviled ham, corned beef, or spam in their school lunch sandwiches or for breakfast with eggs or pancakes on camping trips.
 My youngest son still comes over for breakfast and occasionally will ask if I have any Spam,  but he nor the rest of the kids and grand kids ever buy any of it, some of the grand kids I doubt even knows that the stuff exists, I've heard that Spam sandwiches and Ramen's are popular with college kids trying to get by on very little money,  but I doubt there's many.
 I haven't bought any other than Spam in years,  IMHO Spam is a universal food, if you aren't sure what to make for breakfast, lunch, or supper, or you forgot to take something out of the freezer, or didn't get to the grocery store on time,  there's no end to the meals that you can scrounge up with a few odds and ends from the fridge and pantry and a large can of Spam or canned ham.
 I have a lot of personal favorites but my most favorite is an egg, Spam, and cheese on an English muffin toasted on one side,  throw in a couple of hash browns and a side of cheese grits and it's good eats for sure. 

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2017, 01:10:50 PM »
My DW won't allow "processed food" into the house if it can be avoided. I happen to like Bologna sandwiches, not to mention liverwurst. Sorry, Pops, if the label lists more chemicals than natural ingredients, it ain't goin' in the shoppin' cart!
That's why it's been over 25 years since I tasted Spam.
I guess her wisdom is reflected in my BP, cholesterol levels and other scores from my annual physicals, but dang...I miss some of that stuff SO much!

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2017, 01:20:22 PM »
I tried potted meat once.  :-X

I do eat Spam and velveeta cheese with a fried egg on a english muffin from time to time.  Those are good tasting but I doubt they do much good to your cholesterol numbers.
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2017, 02:44:18 PM »
I did have a canned ham (I think it was about 2 lbs) that was a gift once. It was actually really good, and made more than a few deli sandwiches.

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2017, 03:44:59 PM »
I like canned ham products a bit more than luncheon meats like SPAM, KAM and KLIK.
Little cans of potted meat and devilled ham are good in that they are essentially single servings - good on crackers, melba toast etc.
I love canned picnic ham, but it's a bit expensive and too much for one person.
I do like flakes of ham though. Mixed with rice or noodles, it's quick and tasty.
My favourite way to prepare it though it is finely dice a potato and put it in boiling water for five minutes.
In the meantime, I fry a small onion in butter. I then add the potatoes and once fried with the onions I add the flakes of ham, cut into 1cm cubes.
This "hash" mixed with a few scrambled eggs makes a great breakfast skillet.
"Learning is an interruption of the failure process"
- Me, 2014

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2017, 04:18:49 PM »
I can honestly say, and to my good fortune, that I have never even tasted potted meat. :lol:

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2017, 07:44:31 PM »
I think the last time I had potted meat was in the field eating C-Rations.  Not really something I miss.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2017, 11:59:39 PM »
I like canned ham products a bit more than luncheon meats like SPAM, KAM and KLIK.
Little cans of potted meat and devilled ham are good in that they are essentially single servings - good on crackers, melba toast etc.
I love canned picnic ham, but it's a bit expensive and too much for one person.
I do like flakes of ham though. Mixed with rice or noodles, it's quick and tasty.
My favourite way to prepare it though it is finely dice a potato and put it in boiling water for five minutes.
In the meantime, I fry a small onion in butter. I then add the potatoes and once fried with the onions I add the flakes of ham, cut into 1cm cubes.
This "hash" mixed with a few scrambled eggs makes a great breakfast skillet.
If you don't want to go through all that fooling around, dice your potatoes, add a little grease (butter/oil) to your skillet, add the onions and then cover the skillet for the first 10 minutes or so.  The steam from the onions will cook the potatoes. Remove the lid and finish frying to a golden brown with caramelized onions.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2017, 11:30:28 PM »
I just had a spam sandwich for breakfast Saturday morning. I friend up a 1/4" thick slice and had it on toast with a little mayo and one of our hen's eggs scrambled up.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2017, 08:27:49 AM »
Sounds good to me.  I just ate a cup of orange flavored yogurt in my futile attempt to wear some pants that shrunk up while hanging in the closet over the summer. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2017, 11:06:25 AM »
Sounds good to me.  I just ate a cup of orange flavored yogurt in my futile attempt to wear some pants that shrunk up while hanging in the closet over the summer.

LOL, letting the pants out in the back is usually easier than trying to shrink your waist size,  and if you do you can always take them in again. 

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2017, 01:05:43 PM »
Anything easy ain't usually worth doing Moe.  I need the weight off, not the pants out.
(Mark Twain)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2017, 04:44:00 PM »
i think the best canned ham come from poland. once an old neighbor
of mine who was from poland. told me that the exported hams
are'nt as good as the ones at home for some reason.
krakus and atlantia i believe are to to main brands for export.
i grew up on polish cooking it's good hearty food.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2017, 05:58:29 PM »
That doesn't surprise me.....Poland has always been famous for their swine production and breeding program.  Many of the current breeds in this country have Polish roots.