Author Topic: Lithuanian MRE Menu No.2 Video and Review Beef and Groats  (Read 332 times)

Offline Dontkillbill

• Mill File+
Lithuanian MRE Menu No.2 Video and Review Beef and Groats
« on: November 05, 2017, 02:13:58 PM »
This menu is so good. Beef and Groats.

The beef wasn't too salty and the stew like flavour and barley groats work well.   Hazelnuts, honey, chocolate and hard biscuits with caraway round out the meal with coffee and orange drink.

Its small but 1555 calories even though the label says 1494.   I wish I had more. 

I liked it so much I am going to make some from scratch tonight.

https://youtu.be/Q0fKp_A4pX4

[video=youtube_share;Q0fKp_A4pX4] [/video]

I wish you could smell how delicious this was as I opened the heated package.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
Re: Lithuanian MRE Menu No.2 Video and Review Beef and Groats
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 10:21:05 AM »
these and other foreign MRE meals are insanely expensive.

https://www.foreignmre.com/shop

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 06:25:43 PM »

Yup to that, What the hell are Groates,  it sounds disgusting,  almost as bad as Spotted Dick ?
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Dontkillbill

• Mill File+
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 06:29:24 PM »

Yup to that, What the hell are Groates,  it sounds disgusting,  almost as bad as Spotted Dick ?

In this case its barley cook like rice mixed with beef and gravy it was very good and these are 12-13 dollars shipped USD on Ebay.  Pretty reasonable compared to other rations and like I said looks healthy

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 06:44:08 PM »

[/quote]

'Groats' are nothing more than wheat berries, oat kernels, barley and other seeds of the grass-family of plants that have had the indigestible outer shell removed, but leaving the bran intact.....in short, 'whole grains.'   Don't tell me you've never had those before.  :shrug:

I don't know about your spotted dick, though.....and I DON'T want to!! :rofl:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 08:53:03 PM »
 :'(

you guys :(

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 09:01:01 AM »

'Groats' are nothing more than wheat berries, oat kernels, barley and other seeds of the grass-family of plants that have had the indigestible outer shell removed, but leaving the bran intact.....in short, 'whole grains.'   Don't tell me you've never had those before.  :shrug:

I don't know about your spotted dick, though.....and I DON'T want to!! :rofl:
[/quote]

Well Son, if you're talking about whole grains as in breads, English muffins, and beagles, I guess I have, if you're talking about cooking up a mess of hole grains in water then probably not,  either way I'm not a fan of whole grains anyway.
  Spotted Dick is an English food thing,  I call it a thing because I have no idea what it looks like or tastes like, and like you I've no desire to take it any further,  maybe someone brave enough here can enlighten us on just what it is.
  I only mentioned it because I had a friend from England who was sent to the US to manage a London based business with a factory here in my area and he'd mentioned it a time or two,  and just recently I've discovered that my local Super Stop & Shop Store has it in the Foreign Foods section,  I don't really know if they mean "Foreign" because it comes from overseas or because it's weird.
  But whatever, I think they should have chose a better name for the stuff.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 09:22:21 AM »

In this case its barley cook like rice mixed with beef and gravy it was very good and these are 12-13 dollars shipped USD on Ebay.  Pretty reasonable compared to other rations and like I said looks healthy

No offense intended Bill,  I'm not in the habit of knocking other peoples foods,  I came from a French Canadian background and we have our share of "different" dishes.
  Call me a skeptic, but I'm pretty fussy about buying foods not processed here in the US,  and while I have used American MRE's and enjoyed them in the past they have priced themselves out of the market for the 'common man',  the last ones I looked at were not military surplus but rather MRE's produced for the civilian market and they were selling for about $12.00 for the full package of main meal, sides, snacks, desert, and drink powder.
  There are a great many options available for tasty and healthy dried foods at far more affordable prices that MRE's are no longer on my Radar, same as many of the major brands of camping foods like Mountain House for example, there are several thread going on the subject and one favorite survival/emergency/ hiking food that seems to be popular with our members is foods made and marketed by Patriot Foods Co.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 11:38:50 AM »
Moe.....the first time I ever ran across the recipe for 'Spotted Dick' was in Ramon F. Adams' book, COME AN' GET IT: THE STORY OF THE OLD COWBOY COOK.  You are correct in the fact that it is an old English recipe and was originally made with currants, but it was also very popular in this country with the cowboys trailing the herds up from Texas.  The chuckwagon cook substituted raisins for the currants and from what I read, it was a very popular dessert treat! :drool:

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 05:02:08 PM »
Moe.....the first time I ever ran across the recipe for 'Spotted Dick' was in Ramon F. Adams' book, COME AN' GET IT: THE STORY OF THE OLD COWBOY COOK.  You are correct in the fact that it is an old English recipe and was originally made with currants, but it was also very popular in this country with the cowboys trailing the herds up from Texas.  The chuckwagon cook substituted raisins for the currants and from what I read, it was a very popular dessert treat! :drool:

Interesting,  a rose, by any other name .............

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 04:45:50 AM »
i miss the usgi mres from the 80's, like bbq,pork with rice the freezed dried friut
friut cake. and the chili con carne it was a freezed dried LURP ration awesome.
the menu has gotten a lot more varied over time,
then there was the accessory packs A thru E D&E being the best one's i remember
they had the most goodies.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2017, 05:30:27 AM »
i miss the usgi mres from the 80's, like bbq,pork with rice the freezed dried friut
friut cake. and the chili con carne it was a freezed dried LURP ration awesome.
the menu has gotten a lot more varied over time,
then there was the accessory packs A thru E D&E being the best one's i remember
they had the most goodies.

I agree, '70's and '80's were pretty good,  I used to buy a case of 12 MRE's for about $40.00, I always had a half dozen or so in my camper van, if I was going out for a day fishing or hunting or if the wife and I suddenly decided to take off for the weekend and go camping we didn't have to spend a few hours getting ready,  just put some stuff in a cooler and head out, everything else we needed was always in the truck clean and ready to go.
  The MRE's were a great filler to have until you could get to the grocery store,  I could go a whole day on one MRE by spacing out the different accessory packets, good stuff for the times for sure,  I haven't bought any of the new style MRE's so I'm not sure how much they differ from the 'Nam war era, but I hear they are different in some ways, I do know they're a lot more expensive,  especially lately after the horrific storms that hit the South Eastern states and in South America,  if you can find some they're costly.
  But if you aren't concerned with long term storage there's plenty of low cost dried meal options right on your local super market shelves, most of them will keep for a year or more with no refrigeration, and they don't taste too bad either,  most just need hot water,  those like cream soups or Alfredo pastas that need milk can be handled with evaporated milk which again needs no refrigeration until the can is opened,  and powdered milk is always an option,  personally we use the evaporated milk, the powdered stuff is ok for most cooking,  but I like my coffee strong and with cream or half & half, powdered milk makes coffee taste like the scum on the bottom of an old ash tray, evaporated milk isn't too far removed from half & half, plus it brings back memories of my parents around the breakfast table on chilly fall mornings,  they always used evaporated milk in their coffee,  a left over habit of the rationing days I suppose.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2017, 09:28:25 AM »
The milk deal was something my brother and I found ourselves having to deal with on our forays into the BWCAW and Quetico Provincial Park. :canoe:      Both areas forbade any cans or bottles, so canned milk was not an option.  We relied solely on powdered milk for puddings, our homemade hot cocoa mix, boxed mac & cheese and any other menu item that called for milk and it worked just fine, but drinking powdered milk made with lukewarm lake water was something we never acquired a taste for. :puke: :puke:

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2017, 10:12:10 AM »
does repackaging work?

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2017, 10:35:39 AM »
does repackaging work?
Yep,......we repackaged everything from grape jelly, peanut butter & margarine to slab bacon & anything else we thought the inspectors at the border might call us on. :rolleyes:

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2017, 10:47:46 AM »
but not the canned milk?  :crazy:

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2017, 11:08:54 AM »
No.  You are not allowed to take disposable cans or bottles into these areas, but reusable containers are allowed.  I doubt that canned milk would keep for a 10 day period without refrigeration or an ice chest, but neither one of us relished the idea of humping an ice chest over 1/2 to 3/4 mile portages!

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2017, 11:57:55 AM »
oh,  the answer is no, repackaging doesnt work for sweetened condensed milk.  it is pretty sugary iirc. Seems like it would keep for some time at least (temp. dependent of course) I read what it says on the cautionary kitchen web sites. They are so risk adverse, timid even. 

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2017, 12:30:07 PM »
when i lived in hawaii i used to buy cases of mres for 17'00 a case.
boy did i balk when the guy at aloha stadium swap meet raised the price to 21,00 a case.
so i just started to scrounge for them at schofield barracks east training range.
also other good spots were kahuku traing range on the north shore and
a closed down air/missle base by waimanalo.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2017, 07:54:04 PM »
No.  You are not allowed to take disposable cans or bottles into these areas, but reusable containers are allowed.  I doubt that canned milk would keep for a 10 day period without refrigeration or an ice chest, but neither one of us relished the idea of humping an ice chest over 1/2 to 3/4 mile portages!

Today you can buy milk in waxed cardboard cottons in pints and quarts that don't need refrigeration,  they have a shelf life of about three months if left unopened, but will stay "fresh" for a week to 10 days if repackaged and while being used, it's made of whole milk and tastes just like regular milk,  don't ask what they do to it to preserve it, I have no Idea,  but the wife had me buy some last fall for our emergency pantry (she loves her Frosted Mini Wheat's with real milk), I bought a few quarts,  we never lost power for more than a couple of hours and didn't have to use the shelf milk,  we ended up using it here and there, I opened the last quart about a month after the best use by date and it was fine.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2017, 08:08:16 PM »
Yeah, I know, but this was back in the 70s & 80s.  None of that stuff existed then...I am a fossil. :-\

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2017, 08:27:38 PM »
Yeah, I know, but this was back in the 70s & 80s.  None of that stuff existed then...I am a fossil. :-\

Still a good thing to know, but don't look for it in the milk chest at the super market,  it's kept in the aisle with the condensed and evaporated milk and powdered stuff.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2017, 09:22:05 PM »

I did entertain for a moment that it was birch bark that kept you from repackaging the canned milk. But i know you have pitch and/or wax. The cautious kitchen also says to fridgerate bacon slabs. I really did think you were possibly talking about a time before nalgene bottles. And aint nothing wrong with that. To be honest.  i was really worried about how you hated that powdered milk so much.
   To me it's like cornstarch. It can make watery thicker but i dont know hat it tastes like. Your post about powdered milk left me with so many questions. did I focus too much on coffee?
 when I have to carry stuff a long way. Weight or often enough just Bulk. I always question such things and have tended to go without.