Author Topic: "If yer gonna be dumb, ya gotta be tough...."  (Read 2392 times)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
"If yer gonna be dumb, ya gotta be tough...."
« on: November 17, 2017, 09:17:26 PM »
That's the lyrics behind this video. I hope the link works.

https://www.facebook.com/SurvivalHuntandFish/videos/2000614033485540/
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: "If yer gonna be dumb, ya gotta be tough...."
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 09:37:29 PM »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:  There are some good ones in there.  That is one tough deer. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 10:00:45 PM »
:lol: :lol: :lol:  There are some good ones in there.  That is one tough deer.
(Note to self: don't ever go hog huntin'!)

Good record of animal behavior regarding the buck deer.  Notice he never once used his antlers as offensive weapons?  All foreleg slashes.  Pretty cool.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 11:19:37 PM »
Had the sound turned down. If there was any narration I missed. What I saw on the behalf of the hunters was a particular lack of predatory aggression, i.e. Too much hesitation, flinching, failure of defense through no offensive action.  :shrug:

...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 11:23:50 PM »
Had the sound turned down. If there was any narration I missed. What I saw on the behalf of the hunters was a particular lack of predatory aggression, i.e. Too much hesitation, flinching, failure of defense through no offensive action.  :shrug:

You had to hear the sound track. I was laughing through the whole thing. It isn't narration, it's a song.

I've been on the loosing end of an argument with a feral domestic hog. Hesitation has nothing to do with being charged by a 300 lb tusker. Hahaha.  Stand your ground if you want...we'll send flowers.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 01:12:39 AM »
The guy with the db was the only shot I saw fired. One had a BP muzz, and another a lever action. Looked like they never shot. Maybe the BP guy had discharged with no reload. Why not use the gun as a club?

Or start running sooner

I'm not saying I would win, just what I saw in the vid
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline OffGrid9

• Supporting Member
  • Mill File+
  • A sunset is a lovely melody, heard only once
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 01:36:23 AM »
Jeez, that's a great video, and the song fits.

Didja see the video of the idiot whose rifle misfires, so he looks down the barrel...and it goes off!  :doh:  The guy survives only because the kick of the late-fire cartridge jumped the barrel away from his head, he just got a groove in his forehead and a nifty 30 cal hole in the brim of his cap.  But to see the video, you'd swear he 'sploded his head.
:lol:   LSHISM (laughed so hard I soiled myself)

If he'd died, he'd have been a shoe-in for first prize in the annual Darwin Awards that year.
6 phases of a project:  (1) baseless enthusiasm; (2) growing uneasiness & fear; (3) over budget & behind schedule; (4) search for the guilty; (5) blaming of the innocent; (6) praise and rewards for the nonparticipants.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 07:19:57 AM »

I've been hunting and fishing for most of my life, small game, upland birds, deer, black bear, and wild boars, Russians and Razorbacks and never had an animal attack me like those in that video,  probably because I never let them get that close,  and rarely need a follow up shot.

As far as the song goes,  pretty much the truth,  if you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 09:44:34 PM »
A bunch of us farmers used to get in our cb radio equipped pickups on Sunday afternoons to hunt coyotes.  One of my neighbors in the group instinctively tried to stop a mortally wounded 'yote from escaping into a deep ravine by stepping on its tail......that's when the 'song dog' promptly turned around and bit him deeply in his calf-muscle.   A high price to pay for a winter-prime coyote pelt, but funny as hell for the rest of us! :P :lol: :lol: :lol:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 07:10:04 AM »
A bunch of us farmers used to get in our cb radio equipped pickups on Sunday afternoons to hunt coyotes.  One of my neighbors in the group instinctively tried to stop a mortally wounded 'yote from escaping into a deep ravine by stepping on its tail......that's when the 'song dog' promptly turned around and bit him deeply in his calf-muscle.   A high price to pay for a winter-prime coyote pelt, but funny as hell for the rest of us! :P :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep, and when I was a kid a few of us boys would go hunting for cotton tails and squirrels after school let out, more than once I saw one of them running for home with a wounded squirrel dangling from a bloody thumb,  it pays to make sure they are dead before picking them up by the tail, only common sense.

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 07:27:35 AM »
Thanks for sharing this, OP. LOL!!!!!!

I'm almost certain that big ol' buck mated with that feller once it beat him into submission.
"In the school of the woods, there is no graduation day."  Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 10:50:38 PM »

Yep, and when I was a kid a few of us boys would go hunting for cotton tails and squirrels after school let out, more than once I saw one of them running for home with a wounded squirrel dangling from a bloody thumb,  it pays to make sure they are dead before picking them up by the tail, only common sense.
Someone here has a eerily similar sentiment as his signature line. :lol: 

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 06:54:22 AM »

Someone here has a eerily similar sentiment as his signature line. :lol:

Now that you bring it up.  (Grin)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2018, 05:53:58 AM »
as for the 300,boar it's really simple spped is a must and proper placement,
1, get the boar to charge you when he gets close enough bash in his skull
with a long handled ball peen hammer. easy peasy. buttttttt if you muff it up
heh heh heh yea buddy you might have some complications, just saying
oh and send me a video i'd like to see how it went.

Offline papadan

• Mill File
  • Just waitin for my ride!
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2018, 10:20:38 AM »
OK, I don't care who, but somebody owes me a keyboard! I have been treed by a boar, layed my bow down to light a smoke and he charged me from behind. All I could do was jump straight up and catch a limb. Kept me up there for over an hour.
Just piddlin round, waitin on my ride!

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2018, 11:03:22 PM »
OK, I don't care who, but somebody owes me a keyboard! I have been treed by a boar, layed my bow down to light a smoke and he charged me from behind. All I could do was jump straight up and catch a limb. Kept me up there for over an hour.
You and I belong to the same club!  I was bowhunting also, but I was challenged by a half-dozen feral domestic hogs. Big suckers, with tusks to match.  You got off lucky. I was up the only tree in the field for 4+ hours until it got dark and they lost interest.