Author Topic: Bushlore aka. Bushcraft, woodsmanship, primitive skills, self reliance  (Read 363 times)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
 How many of our active members actually get out and do it once in a while ??? ?
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Re: Bushlore aka. Bushcraft, woodsmanship, primitive skills, self reliance
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 08:37:11 AM »
You know I do.  I'm pretty limited as to what I can do right now.  My back still is killing me after trying that stupid fatwood hand drill.  Kelly and I were going camping this long weekend but the weather looked bad.  We're looking at doing some cold weather camping up in NC Christmas. 

I'm very thankful for a wife that not only likes camping... she's good at it.  My friends pitch in if I'm having troubles.  I'm very blessed.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 08:42:29 AM »
While I still get out a few times a year, usually tied in with hunting something or fishing, this fall finds me house bound while my replaced left knee heals up and getting ready for the right one to be replaced next month.  It will most likely be near Turkey season this next Spring before I am really able to be out and about.

I spend my days sharpening knives, working on a sheath or two, and thinking about the Kephart knives Sarge is making.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 10:55:00 AM »
Without going into detail......no, I can't right now. :(
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 12:10:18 PM »
You know I do.  I'm pretty limited as to what I can do right now.  My back still is killing me after trying that stupid fatwood hand drill.  Kelly and I were going camping this long weekend but the weather looked bad.  We're looking at doing some cold weather camping up in NC Christmas. 

I'm very thankful for a wife that not only likes camping... she's good at it.  My friends pitch in if I'm having troubles.  I'm very blessed.

I know you do Max,  that was pretty funny right there, "Stupid fatwood hand drill fire",  I have to admit I haven't tried it yet myself, but only because I don't have any fatwood long enough to make a decent spindle with, call me overly trusting but I still believe it was the real deal,  I've watched Brian's videos off and on for years and he's always been a stand up guy in calling things as he sees them good or bad.
  That said I know what you mean about having a better half that likes to camp and is good enough at it to carry her share of the work and the fun, we are surely blessed brother.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 12:11:14 PM »
Without going into detail......no, I can't right now. :(

LOL, Well all right then.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 12:22:02 PM »
While I still get out a few times a year, usually tied in with hunting something or fishing, this fall finds me house bound while my replaced left knee heals up and getting ready for the right one to be replaced next month.  It will most likely be near Turkey season this next Spring before I am really able to be out and about.

I spend my days sharpening knives, working on a sheath or two, and thinking about the Kephart knives Sarge is making.

Yes sir, the joys of the golden years,  been there/done that, had one knee done, in a cast for two weeks, on crutches for another six weeks, and then a cane for a while more,  it was pretty funny learning to walk again. 
 Winter outings except for a little hunting are pretty much out,  like you, a lot of sitting by the fire, and working on small projects, and lamenting lost youth.  (grin)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 12:42:50 PM »
I usually walk the dog's out back daily. Build a small fire and when it goes out we come back. Not lately though. Deere GUN season is open until December 14th I think.

We still go out back, just not into the woods. It seems now that the field is mowed down the ticks are much worse. We removed 6 in the last 2 weeks. Mostly from moose (Xena) as she has thicker fur than the Julia.

I'm trying to find the frame schematic for the scout canvas tent I got from wilderbeast. I want to build the frame out back and a raised bed inside. I emailed him and got no response?? Online they seem to be a bigger size? Maybe I'll do PVC so I can easily adjust it to size and be able to leave it up year round. The tent attaches by ropes.

My new goal (winter) is to start carving. I picked up a very nice branch I'm sanding to varnish for a walking stick. Very light but crazy strong. No idea what, maybe beech?
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 01:16:15 PM »
It's been about three weeks since I got outdoors for any significant time. New baby really puts a lot of demands on my time.  8)

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 02:28:33 PM »
I have unfair advantage, I am out every day, practicing my fence repair skills, every time I have a herd of elk come through.   Tracking every day, looking for the odd Mt. Lion or wolf track, my bears seem to moved down to lower country, and then there is the wood splitting skill, chain saw driving... etc..etc.. ;)

Offline woodsorrel

• Whetstone +
    • NatureOutside
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 06:59:03 PM »
I'm generally out every weekend.  On average I guide two nature hikes each month for the public or underprivileged youth.  I hike 4-6 miles on my own twice per month and go animal tracking once a month. 

Occasionally, I do "crafty" stuff like these clapper sticks (http://www.natureoutside.com/clapper-sticks/).  But I'm not very good at stuff like that.  So I mostly like to be out observing and photographing wildlife.

- Woodsorrel
The best backpacks are named for national parks or mountain ranges. Steer clear of those named for landfills.
Bushcraft tips and tricks:  www.NatureOutside.c om

Offline Orbean

• Whetstone +
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2017, 09:30:24 PM »
I am outdoors just about every weekend but not always camping, fishing, etc. For example, the past couple of weekend I have been helping family prep firewood. October I helped a cousin help pull in his chili crop. The luckier members of my family still live on properties that have been originally own by family long gone. So there are fences to mend,ditches to be cleaned out, Christmass to be cut, etc.

What I do is to sometime catch a little outdoor Zen when I can. After cutting wood today, I sat beside the ditch at my cousin's place, watching the water, the birds, thinking about the native Americans, trappers, settlers and miners that explored the area back when the area was still wild. I did not elk hit this year, but have killed a few tasty little quail; my own personal little flock, meaning that I am the only one that hunts them. Kill some quail, go cut wood, and then sit under a hundred year old cottonwood reading about the Taos fur trappers some of whom sat within eyesight  of where I sat, drinking Taos lightning whiskey (I like to think) enjoying the same scene as me.

As I get older my taste for longer trips gets less; hunting camp is always fun, but a nice warm bed at a relative's house or better yet my own is nice too. Week long trips are harder to do; organizing people, time, and family obligations get in the way. There was a time in my life when even a couple of days free were an excuse to get outdoors; Mt biking, bird hunting, fishing, every trip had a specific purpose. I have mt. biked Moab, x-country skied Bryce canyon in December, hunted elk in the san Juan mountains, spent ten plus days exploring Montana. I miss those days and those guys, well some of those guys. I had no responsibilities, my money and time were my own, it used to be unusual to get a REI dividend of less than a couple hundred dollars, and was not a gear head, just used up my stuff.

I used to be arrogant, like many young men; looking at the weekend warriors, family campers and day hikers with a mild disdain, I was an ass and deeply regret it. I was the fool. I thought if you did not do five day trips, thirty mile back country Mt rides, you did not have the same right to public areas as I did. Its weird, in every other part of my life I did not look at those less fortunate than myself in the same light; I was a polite, respectful young man. I can not explain or excuse it.

I now have an immense amount of respect for the dad who takes his young kids out, lets face it, it is a chore and the nature of the trip completely changes. Years ago me and a couple of friends were eating baloney sandwiches and chips off the hood of my car outside of a store close to Jacobs lake, in northern Az. This man driving a suburban loaded with three kids, his wife and everything that comes kids, comes up to us and starts a conversation. Short part to a ever increasing long post, he tell us he wishes he was us.

I know I went way off topic.
Nice matters

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2017, 09:56:05 PM »
Nice post Orbean.

I lived in Taos in the summer of 1963.  Worked for the USGS as a summer intern on a survey crew.  I love New Mexico and particularly the area around Taos.  I have read a number of books about Taos and the Taos trappers.  Just re-read Garrard's book Wah to yah and the Taos trail for about the fifth time.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2017, 04:43:35 AM »
Yes I do.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2017, 05:36:35 AM »
I do "it" as often as possible.  Two weeks camping in the wilds of Wyoming in October.  Chickenstick,  in Georgia,  will do a week in Bankhead NF in north Alabama first week of December.

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2017, 06:58:30 AM »
I have a number of little folding chairs stashed in places out in the forest, there is a place I like to sit just at the break on the end of my ridge, I have a clear view for about 30 miles, it is very nice just to sit there, on a sunny morning you can hear the birds down in the canyon below that spot. A good place to see deer and elk grazing in the upper meadows. In the spring you can occasionally see bears out taking the morning sun.

To appreciate the forest you really do not have to do anything but be there and be able to enjoy the solitude.

This time a year I do wood crafting almost every day, I take these 16" long wood cylinders and craft them down to fit in my stove. 

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2017, 08:30:00 AM »
Haven't really done much woods stuff this fall...Rondy in August....but didn't even hunt this year.
Things just didn't work out right...

Did build a shelter with bagged up leaves...like an igloo,.....(was actually just a pile...but could have been a shelter...).

Had to laugh about the folding lawn chairs....MF used 5 gal buckets...with a piece of plastic folded up under ...to keep your butt dry....all over the woods.

I just pick up those molded plastic lawn chairs, off the curb...I guess Menards had a sale on lawn furniture
The  the green chairs are the best.
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline Orbean

• Whetstone +
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2017, 09:13:16 AM »
At my grandfathers ranch, around his corral and pump house were these old steel spring bed frames. My dad and his brothers slept on them when they were working. When I was a kid and we would have family/work gatherings the moms would lay blankets on those old beds for the little kids and babies. They are gone now, rusted, but some of the springs are still there.

I have tried to keep things like chairs, grills, etc, but they keep on disappearing. It has to be kids. When I was a kid there was always the real danger of be shot with rock salt if you were jacking around on someone's property. I knew classmates that had been shot with rock salt by canon city state prison guards climbing the perimeter fence trying get away from them after trespassing on prison grounds. I would like to think the bored guards took a delight in peppering a prep school kid.
Nice matters

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2017, 09:27:40 AM »
At my grandfathers ranch, around his corral and pump house were these old steel spring bed frames. My dad and his brothers slept on them when they were working. When I was a kid and we would have family/work gatherings the moms would lay blankets on those old beds for the little kids and babies. They are gone now, rusted, but some of the springs are still there.

I have tried to keep things like chairs, grills, etc, but they keep on disappearing. It has to be kids. When I was a kid there was always the real danger of be shot with rock salt if you were jacking around on someone's property. I knew classmates that had been shot with rock salt by canon city state prison guards climbing the perimeter fence trying get away from them after trespassing on prison grounds. I would like to think the bored guards took a delight in peppering a prep school kid.

Pssssst...Just a tip....don't try to "soak out rock salt"...stings even more.....Just saying
That's all I will say about that.
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2017, 04:23:10 PM »
 hunter63

Sounds to me like there may be some hard earned wisdom in there someplace.. :)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2017, 06:31:44 PM »
I am pretty much tied to the house since last October, but my bikes allowed me to get out for an hour or two each night from the middle of May until I added the SeaFoam to the tank of the Vulcan about a week ago......

THE DAY I PICKED IT UP IN MAY.....

A DAY OR TWO BEFORE I GOT IT READY FOR WINTER STORAGE ABOUT A WEEK AGO....
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2017, 06:41:06 PM »
hunter63

Sounds to me like there may be some hard earned wisdom in there someplace.. :)

Hard to rum with 2 watermelons...in the dark...Just one is better.

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2017, 07:19:33 AM »
Wolfy

Still riding mine..

hunter63

Two would slow you down..

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2017, 08:16:28 AM »
During the last three years I was only getting out about a dozen times a year because of my sailing schedule.
Now that I'm in doing shift work in a shore job (two days, two nights and six days off) I'm getting out and doing something every ten days or so.

This summer I got to spend an entire week out in the bush with a buddy of mine exploring some lakes, rivers and streams for next years fishing season. During the entire week I slept in a car, in a tent, in a hammock and on two types of bush beds. We cooked on a double Coleman stove, on single backpacking stoves, on an alcohol stove and on fires. We ranged between glamping and bushcrafting and had a ball.

I got out car camping at a provincial park twice with my son and some friends and their families. Very relaxing.

In September, I did a five night, six day canoe trip at Keji National Park. In part I followed the route of Albert Bigelow Payne's "The Tent Dwellers". I canoed nine different lakes, did 10 portages and I saw only eight people the entire time: four on the second day, two on the forth day and two on the fifth day. I saw a bunch of people on the last day but that was when I got back into the front country. I cooked on fires about 2/3 of the time and slept in a hammock each night. That was my first sustained use of a hammock.

Even though I was on attached duty in Oct and had to sail, I've still been able to get out camping twice since the canoe trip and for three or four day trips in the canoe.

I'm also a Scout Leader with a Venturer Company. Their chosen theme is SAR and wilderness survival and we have two training events and a camp scheduled in Dec.

I'm still not as active as I'd like to be but as I'm settling down more now into a routine with the shift work, I'm hoping that I can set aside 2-3 days in each ten day rotation for bushcraft, hiking/camping/canoeing/snowshoeing etc. No hunting this year. :(
I also have plans for some repair, restoration, modification, maintenance on my canoe before the spring season. And I'd like to carve another paddle as my last one turned out pretty crappy.

"Learning is an interruption of the failure process"
- Me, 2014

Offline Phaedrus

• Mill File
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2017, 06:47:47 PM »
I get out every chance I get.  Sadly that isn't often as of late.  I took a new job this summer and now I work all the time.  But I'm probably going to be putting in my notice soon, just not worth all the work and missed life, and I hate the place I had to move to for work. Methinks it's about time to go back home.