Author Topic: Thanksgiving menu  (Read 267 times)

Offline Orbean

• Whetstone +
Thanksgiving menu
« on: November 22, 2017, 09:52:35 PM »
Our menu this year goes as follows, a 12lb turkey, gravy, green chili gravy, marinated garbanzo beans, stuffing, mashed potatoes with cream cheese, creamed spinach, saut?ed green beans, roasted Brussels sprouts, cranberries with oranges, sweet potatoes, raspberry jello delight, cherry sour cream cheese cake, pumpkin pie, and cherry pie.
Nice matters

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: Thanksgiving menu
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 09:58:43 PM »
We are having Turkey, ham, mashed potatoes and gravy, celery sticks, peppers, olives, pickles, cranberry, fruit salad, and pumpkin pie. 

I am setting my scale back ten pounds.........  :-[
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 04:56:46 AM »
We're only 4 for dinner today.  Tomorrow will be a bigger group.

Turkey, dressing, cranberries, giblet gravy, green beans, squash casserole, sausage balls, pecan pie, and doodle cake.

update.  MIL called earlier.  Thunderstorms in the area knocked out their electricity.  Raw turkey anyone?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 05:10:23 AM by madmax »
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 06:19:20 AM »
raw turkey oh my don't get better than that.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 09:34:41 AM »
Too bad we are so far away from Florida.....this calls for my BIG Texsport Dutch oven! :stir:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 04:34:55 PM »
Well, we hosted this year. The in-laws brought several pies, a roast turkey and a deep fried turkey, plus mashed potatoes, real giblet gravy and stuffing. I made a pumpkin pie from a real pumpkin, the ubiquitous green bean casserole, Alton Brown's mac and cheese recipe, and a chipotle-ranch jalapeno cheese ball for snacking on.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2017, 02:44:36 AM »
Too bad we are so far away from Florida.....this calls for my BIG Texsport Dutch oven! :stir:

I've been eyeing those deep dish ones.  My 12 wouldn't hold the bird.  But the power went back on and all was good.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 05:55:49 AM »
Well, we hosted this year. The in-laws brought several pies, a roast turkey and a deep fried turkey, plus mashed potatoes, real giblet gravy and stuffing. I made a pumpkin pie from a real pumpkin, the ubiquitous green bean casserole, Alton Brown's mac and cheese recipe, and a chipotle-ranch jalapeno cheese ball for snacking on.

Sounds good PW,  Does Alton Brown's Baked Mac & Cheese recipe call for Velveeta "cheese" as part of the ingredients ??? ?

I'm just asking for Wolfy and Stan.  (grin)
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2017, 06:49:04 AM »
 Like most big families I'm guessing,  Mom & Dad usually host Holiday meals, Thanksgiving for sure, and eventually that mantle gets passed down to which ever one of the kids is willing to take on the responsibility, work, and expense of taking it over.
 A few years after we were married the Wife and I began hosting the holiday family get to gethers, after the kids were all out and on their own we sold our "big" house and down sized,  as the family grew with grandkids and now great grandkids, it just became too much.
 So the kids stepped up and now share the responsibility,  at first 'P' and I were a bit reluctant to let go, but it's actually been a blessing of sorts,  this Thanksgiving was an off year, some of the kids were away, other were spending the day with "the inlaws", so we were kind of on our own to "wing it".
 What to do,    'P' and I were tossing around options,  neither one of us was up to a big turkey and all the fixings dinner for just the two of us, and I've never tried a store bought pre made meal that tasted like anything else but bland cardboard,  'P' suggested a ham steak and a pot of baked beans with a side of coleslaw or potato salad, I on the hand voted for Chinese take out (delivered of course).
 Well to make a long story more complicated our grandson call the night before and asked if we could babysit our great grand daughter (18 months old) for the morning, seems his inlaws have a family tradition of going to a local tavern in their town at 8:00am every Thanksgiving morning for Bloody Mary's to start off the day's celebrations, trust me, I looked it up, the pilgrims and Indians never included that in their Thanksgiving day agenda.
 But we agreed and took good care of the little "Disruptor" from 7:00AM until close to noon,  and we still hadn't decided what we were going to eat for our celebratory turkey day meal,  the Kids left abut 1:00 and we needed a little time to recover as anyone our age who's experienced babysitting a eighteen month old holy terror for five hours will tell you.
 At 2:00 sharp there's a knock at the front door, the door opens and it's our youngest son, followed by his wife, and their two kids aged 17 and 23,  and they are carrying a huge Maple Glazed Ham, mashed potatoes, mashed summer squash, home made bread stuffing, a bowl of cranberry sauce, turkey gravy, a pumpkin pie, apple pie, and home made holiday cookies.
 God bless them, 'cause we were tired and more than a bit hungry, so, a long way around an answer to the OP, but as everyone here knows, the older I get the longer my posts seem to get.  (grin)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2017, 11:38:07 AM »

Sounds good PW,  Does Alton Brown's Baked Mac & Cheese recipe call for Velveeta "cheese" as part of the ingredients ??? ?

I am eating a grilled ham and Velveeta sandwich at the moment Moe......... in your honor.  You don't know what you are missing.   :stir:
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2017, 11:40:38 AM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :hail:

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2017, 12:50:21 PM »

I am eating a grilled ham and Velveeta sandwich at the moment Moe......... in your honor.  You don't know what you are missing.   :stir:

LOL, If only I had my smiley's back !

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2017, 03:34:13 PM »
Great Thanksgiving story Moe!
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2017, 05:21:38 PM »

You know that you can type out the smiley's right?  I'm putting in an extra space after and before the colon, but all you need to do is type  : rofl :   : rolleyes :   : shrug :   : popcorn :.  Just don't put in those spaces and your smiley will show up.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2017, 05:29:45 PM »

[/quote

You know that you can type out the smiley's right?  I'm putting in an extra space after and before the colon, but all you need to do is type  : rofl :   : rolleyes :   : shrug :   : popcorn :.  Just don't put in those spaces and your smiley will show up.

I did not, thanks, I'll give it a try.  :thumbs up:

Back to the drawing board .

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2017, 05:41:21 PM »

[/quote

I did not, thanks, I'll give it a try.  :thumbs up:

Back to the drawing board .

You need to learn how to follow instructions. ;D         Try it without the space between the words thumbs & up and it will work. :thumbsup:

This thread may help, too....
http://bladesandbushlore.com/index.php?topic=11985.0    :shrug:
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 05:46:53 PM by wolfy »

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2017, 07:55:07 PM »
a friend of mine once said never trust a skinny cook.
reason being i gather is they don't taste thier cooking.
so here's a recipie from paul prudhomme. of the louisiana kitchen in nawlins.

sweet potato pecan pie.
makes one 8,in pie
dough,
3tbs,unsalted butter
2tbs, sugar   
1/4,tsp salt
1/2 of a whole egg
vigorously beaten until frothy.(reserve the other half
for the sweet potato filling.
2tbs cold milk
1,cup all purpose flour.

sweet potato filling.