Author Topic: custom knife making and being famous  (Read 179 times)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
custom knife making and being famous
« on: November 23, 2017, 06:47:19 AM »
as a custom knife maker need to become famous. is it vanity to say hollywood celebs
have your knives, i guess i'm just too humble. i've seen many here knifemakers
who are great yet not famous you kow like say ken onion.
all he can make is folders. my knives are already all over the country really.
i'm not famous.mabey i'll send one to ken burns, my friend is a contact of him.
by way of her invovment with vietnam vets, and she's one of the most sought after wedding photographers
in the country, in the top five. but at the end of the day what does that do for me? really?
right now were going into winter, and i have people wanting knives by way of a radio network i am involved
with. and it's getting harder to warm the shop.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Re: custom knife making and being famous
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 09:08:05 AM »

I'm not sure I completely understand where you're going with your post, but from my experience knowing true craftsmen and being skilled with my hands and blessed with a good imagination that has enabled me to create with leather, horn, and wood, in my opinion none of them or myself started out with the expectation of being famous or having name recognition outside our circle of family and friends.
  Speaking for myself, and I'm sure the same applies to other custom makers as well, I started out making things I needed but couldn't afford to purchase,  my first was a primitive shooting bag for my muzzle loading rifle,  I had bought a cheap production bag and while it was functional, it didn't fit in any historical context, while I was at a small shop that sold real handmade muzzle loaders and accessories, there was a beautiful double pouch hunting bag hanging from a peg on the wall, the price tag read $250.00, and this was in the late '70's, that was two weeks pay for me.
  So I bought some bag leather, sinew, needles, and a few leather tools, I read a few how too books, and made my own bag, it cost me about $60.00 and came out better than I expected, next came a powder horn made from a raw horn, I recognized that I had a talent for the work and began to refine it.
  A few years later I was making Leather bags, sheaths, western belts and holsters,  powder horns, powder measures, and other horn products,  many of my friends and people I met at shoots and camp outs started to order my stuff,  so I had some business cards made up, the high light for me was when I received an order from a guy in Ohio for a pair of matching custom powder horns to go with a custom flintlock long rife that he had just had made, he offered me $500.00 for the pair.
  The next year found me working a full time job and spending all my free time crafting stuff for other people and trying to fill orders that were made months before,  what I had been doing for my own pleasure was now work, and it was running my life,  that's when I quit taking orders, filled the ones I had, and just made stuff for myself and once in a while for friends.
  Some folks enjoy working for others or the fame that goes with recognition, I didn't.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 10:14:41 AM »
HOLY COW, Moe......that is EXACTLY the same experience I had with building various custom items for friends and strangers that viewed my work.  We just agreed on something else! :shocked: :cheers:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 10:53:43 AM »
I am not a custom maker of anything.  I make what I like.  If others like it, then that's a bonus.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 04:07:21 PM »
I am not a custom maker of anything.  I make what I like.  If others like it, then that's a bonus.

Crash, I like that outlook and I think it's the best route to take overall. You make what you like, that way you always enjoy making it. :thumbsup:

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 06:46:04 PM »
I  make stuff for fun.....if I have to make whatever for money...then it's a job....don't need another job.
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2017, 04:58:37 AM »
moe mabey that is what i was trying to say, that i don't want this to run my life.
i've had some people lately say my knives are too pretty to use really.
then i gave a knife with matching ferro rod in maple burl. to a aquaintnce
on a internet radio show he really liked it.
showed it to the guy the runs the network. and asked me on the air(live)
for my contact info if any one wants to buy one, i'm not ready for that i guess.
and said i should get my own web page. thing is i have a very busy life
where other matters take prescidence first. so it is very difficult for me to say
take orders. i would like to get much better first. i'm sending someone a mirror finish skinner
soon in masur birch soon.  i hope he likes it.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 05:43:32 AM »
moe mabey that is what i was trying to say, that i don't want this to run my life.
i've had some people lately say my knives are too pretty to use really.
then i gave a knife with matching ferro rod in maple burl. to a aquaintnce
on a internet radio show he really liked it.
showed it to the guy the runs the network. and asked me on the air(live)
for my contact info if any one wants to buy one, i'm not ready for that i guess.
and said i should get my own web page. thing is i have a very busy life
where other matters take prescidence first. so it is very difficult for me to say
take orders. i would like to get much better first. i'm sending someone a mirror finish skinner
soon in masur birch soon.  i hope he likes it.

In that case my advice would be to make your knives and things for your own pleasure, if you end up with too many, gift them to the special people in your life, if you need some help to fund your hobby sell a few pieces now and then.
  There's certainly nothing wrong with experimenting with materials and designs or in refining your skills,  just know that once you start to do commercially what you now do for enjoyment, it'll become work, you'll likely loose the drive you once had, and chances are you'll just end up selling your time and skills for pretty cheap money, you'll probably wish you had kept your hobby personal and just found a part time job.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2017, 08:33:32 AM »
Moe,  thank you cause i really wonder about that.
as much as i love this new field i've entered into.
the rub is i don't have the time as i would have say ten years ago.
and again thank you.