Author Topic: Cutting up  (Read 110 times)

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
Cutting up
« on: November 29, 2017, 09:58:52 AM »
I have spent a lot of time lately cutting up dead animals.  My favorite time of the year.   :)
Today,  I was making venison burger out of deer meat and beef fat.  I used my wonderful camp knife by CrashDive to prep all the meat.  It's a beast.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: Cutting up
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 10:45:31 AM »
I can see how that knife-design would be perfect for the task, Sam. :thumbsup:    When I take possession of a new knife, the first place it gets used is in the kitchen.....if it works well there, it will most likely work just as well for most jobs in the field.  I have noticed that almost all of Crash's designs fit into that category, too.

On a related note, we use beef tallow in our deer burger, also.  We weigh the meat & the tallow separately and mix at a 1:4 ratio or 20% tallow to 80% venison.  Some guys around here use pork instead of beef, but the problem with pork is that it will not keep in the freezer as well as beef tallow.  We are fortunate in that we have a local processing plant that will save the hard, crumbly kidney fat for us prior to deer season.  That stuff is pure gold if you can get it, because it grinds and mixes so nicely. 
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 02:28:52 PM »
I can see how that knife-design would be perfect for the task, Sam. :thumbsup:    When I take possession of a new knife, the first place it gets used is in the kitchen.....if it works well there, it will most likely work just as well for most jobs in the field.  I have noticed that almost all of Crash's designs fit into that category, too.

On a related note, we use beef tallow in our deer burger, also.  We weigh the meat & the tallow separately and mix at a 1:4 ratio or 20% tallow to 80% venison.  Some guys around here use pork instead of beef, but the problem with pork is that it will not keep in the freezer as well as beef tallow.  We are fortunate in that we have a local processing plant that will save the hard, crumbly kidney fat for us prior to deer season.  That stuff is pure gold if you can get it, because it grinds and mixes so nicely.
I switched to beef tallow when all my venison grind started tasting like bacon. LOL!

I test my knives on kitchen chores, also.  IMO, most "field" knives have too thick a blade, and too high a convex grind angle.  Sure, I can cube meat with a cleaver, but I like a thin, low angle grind for slicking, dicing and mincing.
So far my go-to knife this year has been my Mora Clipper. :shocked:
I've processed 15 chickens (half of which were skinned), 3 ducks and 1 rabbit. That little Mora only required a light stropping at the end of the season. I also use it for fine work like trimming fat from stew or jerky meat before cooking.

My birthday present is in the mail: A Kershaw Pure Komachi 2, 6.5" Santoku knife from their Japanese knifeworks.
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 03:59:06 PM »
I actually prefer bacon when making Bambi burgers, for the taste.  I use a pound per 10 pounds of Venison.  Did that when making Antelope burger as well.   I do love the hard beef fat,  suet, but it's awfully hard to find.  The stuff around the kidneys is the best.  I can't really cook "English" without it.  Try making a proper Plum Pudding without suet.   lol

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 04:24:27 PM »
I actually prefer bacon when making Bambi burgers, for the taste.  I use a pound per 10 pounds of Venison.  Did that when making Antelope burger as well.   I do love the hard beef fat,  suet, but it's awfully hard to find.  The stuff around the kidneys is the best.  I can't really cook "English" without it.  Try making a proper Plum Pudding without suet.   lol
The first 10 years in Montana, venison was the family's only 'red meat'.  The kids grew up on it. We all like the flavor of the venison.  I DID use bacon with venison sausage a couple times, and it was yummy.
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.