Author Topic: Titanium cooksets?  (Read 132 times)

Offline jeremyctry

• Mill File+
Titanium cooksets?
« on: December 03, 2017, 08:31:27 AM »
Hey everyone I've decided to make a couple kit upgrades. I am looking at getting a new cookset, and I'm thinking Ti. I have looked at the H.C. canteen set and I am tempted, but I've got a little voice in the back of my head whispering that a bottle set would be better. So does anyone have a Ti bottle and nesting cup set? If so do you know of a Ti stove set up that would nest reasonably as well? I've done a couple searches with no joy, and as we all know the listed specs don't always seem to work as well as we think they should.

Offline Dabberty

• Whetstone +
    • My outdoor & DIY blog
Re: Titanium cooksets?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 01:39:15 PM »
Hi, during this year I switched mostly from stainless steel to titanium, and so far I am quite happy with it.

The 1.2L zebra billy can got replaced by the 1.1L Toaks pot with bail handle
But thats not really a nesting situation as you are looking for.

For that I have the Toaks 0.75L pot with bail handle and 0.65L pot, in which my GSI 1L bottles perfectly nest.

And still awaiting for the Toaks frying pan to arrive, and then my set will be complete.
My outdoor & DIY blog:  www.dabberty.com

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 03:20:40 PM »
  The Heavy Cover Titanium Canteen and cup are tempting,  but I've never ben a fan of kidney shaped canteens and USGI styled cups,  I have a couple of sets of stainless that I don't use that will likely get passed on to my kids.
  I've been using Gyott designs (Nalgene) stainless water bottles in my packs for years now, I nested them with REI stanless cups with a lid and it works out well for me.
  I wanted to lighten up also, my two choices were a 1.1 Lt. Mors Anodized aluminum bush pot from Four Dog stoves for my larger day/overnight pack,  and a .750 ML. Toaks Titanium bush pot for my smaller day bag, both have side handles and bails, and I have a small Titanium Toaks bowl for eating that nests perfectly under the Toaks pot.
  Either set is a good balance of weight vs. durability and they cover my Solo needs very well,  for winter treks I swap out my SS Nalgene water bottle for a Yeti double walled growler bottle, it's 32 ounce volume and fits my packs water bottle carrier just right,  and it keeps my water from freezing,  if i'm going to be near a water source I can boil wild water and fill the Yeti bottle with a hot drink and it keeps it hot for about 18 hours.
 Keith Industries makes Heavy Cover products to Heavy Cover specs., but they also make Titanium canteens and water bottles under their own brand, I've pretty sure Amazon carries Keith products,  but like Heavy Cover, they are not cheap,  Heavy Cover sets are selling for $160.00, and the Mother carry bag for them is another $100.00, even if I liked that style it's still too rich for my blood considering there are so many other options.
 Heavy Cover and Toaks both sell frying pans, they're about $50.00 on average,  I don't use a skillet unless I'm planning for it,  I can bake in my bush Pots,  broil steaks, chops, and burgers on the coals,  Bacon and spam get cooked on a stick, so why carry a skillet,  oh yah, eggs, I can make sunny side eggs in my bowl, poached eggs in my pot, in a pinch I've made fried eggs in an improvised pan made from a piece of aluminum foil that I carry in my bush pot along with my alcohol stove and a couple of 2 ounce bottles of denatured alcohol.

Hope this has been helpful.   
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 03:40:56 PM »
I like those nesting cups Dabberty.  Nice set and as much as you do outdoors well worth acquiring.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 04:48:38 PM »
Are there any other choices that that match or exceed the 1100ml canteen? I know there is another chi made canteen, which I often see listed for more $$ than HC. I must be wrong; can't think of one over 800ml other than Vargo BOT. Which lid does not inspire confidence from the looks.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 12:42:45 PM »
Are there any other choices that that match or exceed the 1100ml canteen? I know there is another chi made canteen, which I often see listed for more $$ than HC. I must be wrong; can't think of one over 800ml other than Vargo BOT. Which lid does not inspire confidence from the looks.

There are some very good companies who occasionally come up with very bad ideas,  in my opinion the Vargo Bot is a great example of one such bad idea,  it's one liter,  it's a poor water bottle given it's no mouth screw on lid, makes a poor cook pot as it has no handle and no bail with which to move it on or off the fire and can't be hung over the fire,  and it's a poor choice for cup which anyone who's ever tried to hold a Titanium mug or bottle full of hot drinks or soup by the body of the container and not the handles, and at a MSR of $99.99 it's no bargain.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 01:48:52 PM »
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 02:33:31 PM »
all I got to say...

https://www.minibulldesign.com/productcart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=15

LOL,  So are we supposed to try to read your mind between the lines ??? ?