Author Topic: Otzi revisited.  (Read 154 times)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Otzi revisited.
« on: December 04, 2017, 09:15:12 AM »
They are making a movie about Otzi.  Here is a link to the movie with some commentary about Otzi.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/dec/03/otzi-iceman-mummy-brought-to-life-on-film
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: Otzi revisited.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 10:09:31 AM »
That'll be a 'must-see' film for us......thanks, Stan! :cheers:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 10:38:18 AM »
Yeah....Thanks for posting....
Will be looking forward to seeing it.
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline Phaedrus

• Mill File
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 10:51:28 PM »
That will be worth a look!  Thanks!     

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 02:13:26 AM »
Sounds like it ought to be worth a watch. The link said coming this month, but how / where to see it?

...just something I noticed in the pic from the link is the use of rough pelts as clothing. One insight from the retrieval was the great care taken in the manufacture of his garments. did those people wear furs like that(?); I don't know. seems unlikely, but remain open to suggestions from other folks.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 01:01:25 PM »
The movie will be released in Europe.  If it has sufficient success then it will probably be available in the US market at some point.  If it does not do well then one would have to find a DVD and one that plays in the US so it may be awhile before it is available. 

I did see a short trailer about the movie and it is, of course, a fictional account of what they think happened to him.  Here is a link to the trailer.  It is located just below his photo on the left side of the text.

https://genettifamily.com/2017/07/28/iceman-new-movie-about-otzi/
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 02:06:56 PM »
Sounds like it ought to be worth a watch. The link said coming this month, but how / where to see it?

...just something I noticed in the pic from the link is the use of rough pelts as clothing. One insight from the retrieval was the great care taken in the manufacture of his garments. did those people wear furs like that(?); I don't know. seems unlikely, but remain open to suggestions from other folks.

They have his clothing, I'm sure they would have copied them as closely as possible for the movie.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 02:52:18 PM »
Good point on US playable DVD Stan. Thanks for letting us know about this. I gotta say the trailer worked on me. Looks good.

Who wants to learn Rhatic?

The clothing looked better in the trailer than the still.
Sorry. I keep thinking of the experimental archeologist that made a "copy" of the shoes and found them inappropriate for mountain use. It looked like a crappy experiment but didn't pay enough attention to say now where they got the leather. Basic woodsman 101 teaches that clothing is our first line shelter, maybe even primary, most important shelter. Any people living and working, surviving in an area like that have to be experts at making clothes. And shoes.
Thanks again Stan. If it wasn't you or someone else I may well have missed this.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 10:49:12 PM »
I saw today that the iceman is written about in nov/dec vol. 38 no.6 issue of Richie's magazine: The Backwodsman  contributed by Dan Schectman. It is a repeat of the storyline, along with the author's "trade blanket"  suggestions for modern replacements of Otzi tools. "excellent choice of axe Mr.  Schectman"