Author Topic: Hey, you music guys. Anybody got this problem?  (Read 61 times)

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
  • Florida Cracker since 1960
    • Barclay Customs
Hey, you music guys. Anybody got this problem?
« on: December 06, 2017, 08:37:33 AM »
Man, I haven?t been around much. Sorry I?ve missed so much. It?ll take me awhile to catch up.

My focus lately has been all about music. I?ve been averaging somthing like two or three hours a day playing either the guitar or the bass. The band has been rehearsing twice a week lately, though it?s usually once a week.

The first Saturday of the month I?ve started playing the Song Farmers circle. It?s an open jam of mostly acoustic instruments, well all acoustic instruments except when I?m asked to play a bass, I?m not really an old time music musician, I?d ruin my hands playing my style bass lines on an upright. Somewhere around 20 players show up with guitars mostly and fiddles, banjos, ducimer, even three string BoDiddliy type instruments, the audience numbers 60 to 100 most evenings. The tunes are all simple cowboy chords, the idea here is trying to get people out and playing with others of various skill levels.

As I sit here typing I have, within reach, a telecaster, Martin 000-15, fretless home made tele style bass, 20? scale cigarbox fretless bass, a banjo ukulele and a traditional mahogany uke. I have to walk across the room to get the banjo but I?m not ready for prime time with it, yet. Yeah, some amplifires too from the Pig Nose up to my 900 watt pro-bass rig. I guess when you don?t have a woman telling ya to put stuff away you can keep it where your likely to use it ?o)

I came across ?Bass Camp?, where you actually bring your own tent, the director uses the setting of nature and it?s inspiration as the environment for inspiration, growth and learning the bass instrument. Open to all levels of bassist, it?s close to Nashville. I?m seriously considering this.

I know most bass players will know this guy and quite a few guitarist will too. To me he?s one of the best bass players in the history of the instrument, I?m not easily intimidated but I wonder if I?ll choke up playing in front of Victor. According to his wife he attends all the camps and all the courses, a real hands on guy. I?m confident in my playing and I know there is a lot of room for improvement that can get me to the next level, if I knew what that level was and what I need to focus on to attain it.

Even if I all I did was hang and talk to Victor Wooten for the week it would be worth the expense and I would learn somthing. A lot of the stuff he does I?m not physically capable of but he?s also a master of the groove and knows the instrument so well he should be able to point me down different paths.

I think they do some touchy feely wildernes stuff too but I should get a pass for that, he feels getting in touch with the environment is beneficial to learning and understanding music. I?ll be the only one there with a Wilderness camping bass rig that shows years of use ?o) The BSing around the evenings camp fire ought to be legendary.

If any of you guys are not familiar with Victor Wooten check him out on youtube.

Stanley Clark, Marcus Miller and Victor Wooten https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj5f7gRLVFQ
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 08:52:42 AM by hushnel »

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Re: Hey, you music guys. Anybody got this problem?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 09:27:48 AM »
Good hearing from you again stranger.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 09:46:33 AM »
Good to see ya back....
I hear ya

Was in a band for about 6 months in HS....sax, bass, and drums...
Problem was we were getting too successful.....and took up all of our time.

I couldn't stand it......LOL
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 09:51:51 AM »
That's exciting. Don't miss it, life is too short. Look forward to a report.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.