Author Topic: A short Mora Bushcraft Survival Knife review  (Read 8086 times)

Offline brad.clarkston

• Whetstone +
    • Middle Age Ramblings
A short Mora Bushcraft Survival Knife review
« on: May 10, 2012, 09:19:55 PM »

I stopped by a local KC military surplus store tonight (Raven?s) looking for some odds-&-ends and walked out with a nicely priced ?Mora Bushcraft Survival SS Knife? for the kid to take to the Pathfinder Spring Gathering in a couple of weeks and now I?m a tad big jealous ;)

It has a ferro rod holder with a better than average rod plus a ?meh? diamond sharpener built into the sheath. I was pleasantly surprised by the ferro rod it turned out better than any of the add on rods I?ve picked up with cheap equipment. The rod?s handle is a bit lighter in weight than I would like but the rod itself throws a mean spark on every strike. The knife spine has a good 90% angle specifically for sparking a rod and it does a great job as most Mora?s do.  It?s a Sandvik 12c27 stainless steel with there standard scandi grind. The knife length is 9.1/4 inches long with a 4.1/4 inch blade that should do well at the Gathering as the kid will probably be using his SAK folder more than a fixed blade but I?m hoping he has a great time and do not want him going in lacking basic gear.

The most surprising thing about this knife is the handle and grip. I?m used to the cheap $8~$13 Mora?s and while I love them to death the handles have always left a lot to be desired in my opinion.  This knife on the other hand has a well designed rubberized handle that fits nicely in the hand and is very grippy making it easy to hold on to.  I felt comfortable choking up on the handle while making a feather stick and had no problems with the two pot holders I notched. While I haven?t battened any kindling with it (and probably never will) I would trust it to do the job without any issues.

Overall I would be more than happy caring this blade out into the woods as my main fixed blade along with an axe. It?s not as beefy as my Condor Rodan which I would take without the axe but they are very different knives.  If your looking for an entry level ?bushcrafty? knife you won?t go wrong with this model as long as you couple it with a good cheap axe or hand saw.

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
Re: A short Mora Bushcraft Survival Knife review
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 10:52:50 PM »
Nice review. Congrats on the good deal, and good on ya for making sure your kid has the encouragement and the gear to have a great time.

By the way, I would love to know more about your Condor Rodan. I am looking for a bigger knife, and have my eye on the Condor HB. Do you know how the Rodan compares to the HB? What are your thoughts on your Rodan?

Thanks for the review.

KK
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline brad.clarkston

• Whetstone +
    • Middle Age Ramblings
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 09:40:20 AM »
I love the Rodan it's the best cheap knife ($30) I've ever had and one of the reasons I still haven't bought a $300 custom knife.
I can beat the hell out of it with no chance of damaging it. I'm more than willing to do crazy @ss things in the field that I wouldn't do with a high priced blade.

It's very similar to the BK2 Companion if you've seen or used it they are extremely similar for half the price. The big difference is the handle material, the poly handle on the Rodan is were they saved money. It's easy to hold and use but it is less nice than a higher dollar knife like the Bk2.

The HB is a bit more of a general all around camp knife where the Rodan is a heavy chopper made to take any hell you give it. I wouldn't try to gut a fish or rabbit with the Rodan where I might think about it with the HB. I tend to keep a Mora 511 in my shoulder bag for little camp chores so the Rodan makes since for me.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 09:43:00 AM by brad.clarkston »

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 09:45:09 AM »
Let us know how your kid likes the Pathfinder Gathering.
Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

Offline Fire Steel 703

• Whetstone +
  • Member #46
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 09:54:16 AM »
I have the mora triflex which has a similiarly shaped handle.  Its is very comfortable IMO.
The more things change, the more they remain the same.

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 11:17:12 PM »
I love the Rodan it's the best cheap knife ($30) I've ever had and one of the reasons I still haven't bought a $300 custom knife.
I can beat the hell out of it with no chance of damaging it. I'm more than willing to do crazy @ss things in the field that I wouldn't do with a high priced blade.

It's very similar to the BK2 Companion if you've seen or used it they are extremely similar for half the price. The big difference is the handle material, the poly handle on the Rodan is were they saved money. It's easy to hold and use but it is less nice than a higher dollar knife like the Bk2.

The HB is a bit more of a general all around camp knife where the Rodan is a heavy chopper made to take any hell you give it. I wouldn't try to gut a fish or rabbit with the Rodan where I might think about it with the HB. I tend to keep a Mora 511 in my shoulder bag for little camp chores so the Rodan makes since for me.

Thanks Brad.

KK
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline beanbag

• Whetstone +
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 10:43:59 AM »
Nice Knife.

The handle looks almost identical to my favorite Mora, the 911 which also has grippy rubber.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 10:58:02 AM »
Beanbag,  I have one like yours. I've made it my kitchen knife for boning out chicken and turkeys.   The first time I used it it sliced right through the bones ( not cartlidge) of the chicken I was cutting up.  whoa..    Impressive.     

I'd like to find the one like Brads now.  :)

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 11:48:57 AM »
I have the mora triflex which has a similiarly shaped handle.  Its is very comfortable IMO.

Yep, that's the first thing to come to mind. I wonder if the Triflex would fit this one's sheath?

Offline beanbag

• Whetstone +
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 11:54:59 AM »
I wonder if the Triflex would fit this one's sheath?

I can't answer that, but I will say that one of the other great things about the 911 is the sheath-- Best I've seen from Mora.  Great retention with a positive click on the way in, and a wide swiveling clip that fits over your belt instead of the belt going through it.