Author Topic: THE VIKINGS  (Read 35285 times)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
THE VIKINGS
« on: March 03, 2013, 06:55:37 PM »
There is a series starting tonight on The History Channel on the Vikings.  It starts in a little over an hour here (9 PM) in my area, but it could be starting in less than 15 minutes on the East coast.  I have NO idea if it will be any good or if it has any merit whatsoever, but the quality was being compared to their previous series on The Hatfields and The McCoy's, in some of their propaganda. :shrug:

WARNING: View at your own risk if your time is valuable to you. ???
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: THE VIKINGS
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 07:46:47 PM »
Thanks Wolfy, I just saw your post and checked Dish.  Its coming on in 15 minutes.  Hope its "history" and not some dramatized Ragnar kicks ancient rear end program. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 07:53:21 PM »
Thanks Wolfy, I just saw your post and checked Dish.  Its coming on in 15 minutes.  Hope its "history" and not some dramatized Ragnar kicks ancient rear end program. 

Yeah, I know what you mean. :doh:   I can't find too much out about it, but they've been hyping it for the last month. :banana:

We'll see, I guess! :shrug: :popcorn:

Offline Barbarossa Bushman

• Water Stone
  • A sense of humor is a good thing
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 08:48:27 PM »
I have it set to record and will watch it later tonight or tomorrow. It looked good from the little preview it showed.
"When times get rough and times get hard, the fat get skinny and the skinny die. Good thing you had a little fat on you when you did." An old friend

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 09:08:34 PM »
The first episode wasn't all that bad. I'll probably watch it again.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 09:16:57 PM »
Yeah, I saw it as kind of an 'introductory' episode to introduce us to some of the characters and a setup for the inevitable 'drama' that always seems to be a part of these things.

I did like the scenery, weaponry, navigational instruments, and the Viking ship-build.  It shows promise, I think......better than HoneyBooBoo by a long shot! :doh:

Offline Gryphon

• Water Stone
  • Hey y'all, watch this!
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 10:11:02 PM »
A lot of the historical gear was right on.  not sure why a hay-hook would be hanging in a Norse hut, but that was a good fight scene...hate to catch one of those in the throat swung by a pretty blonde!
Wife dug it. 
Jontok Bushy Class Approved!

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 10:27:06 PM »
Thank you for the heads up.. I missed the 9 o'clock one.. thank goodness they replayed it. :)   I'm gonna like this one.   I wonder what my luck will be that I'll spy someone drilling a triangle hole in a rock?   *smirk*

They've been talking about this series at the facebook site I haunt.  Some of those folks were the go-to guys these producers asked questions of. 

Please keep updates on the next one.  With hubby at the controls I sometimes miss the good shows and the times.

As a side note:.. did I see that the mountain men are coming back???  whoa...  Icky E too??

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 10:56:23 PM »
A lot of the historical gear was right on.  not sure why a hay-hook would be hanging in a Norse hut, but that was a good fight scene...hate to catch one of those in the throat swung by a pretty blonde!
Wife dug it. 

Gryphon....I think that may have been a 'pulp hook'....

http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/Pulp-Hook-by-Dixie/productinfo/243-5858/

In which case, I can see where it could have been used to haul hunks of wood to the fireplace, but I don't know if they were 'period correct' to the era of the Vikings or not. :shrug: :chopwood:

Offline shane

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 11:52:59 AM »
I enjoyied the show and knew that the Vikings did not record their own history but rather their history has been placed together through the accounts of the people they warred or raided against. With that in mind I am interested in how it plays out on the tube and even through we can see where its going it is fun to watch how they get to that point.
Making one of a kind tools, one at a time -shane

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 12:28:45 PM »
I just recieved my March/April issue of "H MAGAZINE" in the mail today.  It is the companion magazine to the History Channel and there is a pretty good article in it on this series, entitled HELL'S ANGELS OF THE DARK AGES. >:D

The creator, writer and executive producer is a respected scholar and writer named Michael Hirst who is also responsible for the HC's ELIZABETH and THE TUDORS.  His credentials are excellent, from what I gleaned from reading the article, so I have high hopes for getting some excellent insights into the Viking civilization and what they brought to European culture!

Time will tell. 8)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 12:55:11 PM »
After you posted the first item about the program time last night I went on the net and read a bit about Vikings.  I knew the basics, 8Th Century, Scandinavian area, oared boats, raids, big influence on trade, occupied parts of England, etc.  What I didn't know was that most of the "Vikings" were farmers and similar village based occupations.  One thing I did not know was the the term Viking was the word used to describe those who went on expeditions or raids and not the people who stayed home and tended to daily life.  The raiders were Vikings and that term eventually was applied to the tribes. 

If you missed the first episode its here and I you cannot wait for the second episode its here too.

http://www.history.com/shows/vikings

Here is a wiki definition and discussion of the Vikings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Barbarossa Bushman

• Water Stone
  • A sense of humor is a good thing
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 02:36:59 PM »
I thought the first show was great and is my kind of show so I can't wait for more.
"When times get rough and times get hard, the fat get skinny and the skinny die. Good thing you had a little fat on you when you did." An old friend

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 06:06:30 PM »

Well,  I watched both episodes,  all I can say is,  I'm sure glad they aren't my neighbors,  as far as history goes,  I can think of a lot of cultures of that time that are more deserving of being celebrated by having a series documented about them.

In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 07:58:38 PM »
Yeah Moe, they would be terrible neighbors.  But nowhere near as terrible a neighbor that the later Europeans were to the inhabitants of North America in the area that became the United States.  When the Vikings conquered an area they installed their form of government and over time they (the Vikings) were assimilated into the local population.  They did their share of killing, raping, and pillaging but when they colonized and conquered foe it wasn't the end of the line for the inhabitants.  They colonized much of what became England and many areas in Europe.  The Vikings raids also resulted in their colonization of vast areas of land to the east that became Russia.  The Rurik Viking dynasty lasted until the Romanovs ascended.  Here is a look at that dynasty: 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rurik_Dynasty

This TV dramatization aside, their contributions to the world are great.  Theirs was much more than a warrior culture as depicted in movies and on TV.  Coming out of the northcountry and establishing colonies from the Mediterranean to eastern North America they opened up a great deal of the world to trade that would not have existed.  They left their influence on a great number of cultures.

One of my favorite words is Berserk.  It comes from a Viking word for someone who went into battle in some kind of trance.  Here is an old poem written at the time of Viking domination.

I'll ask of the berserks, you tasters of blood,
Those intrepid heroes, how are they treated,
 Those who wade out into battle?
 Wolf-skinned they are called. In battle
 They bear bloody shields.
 Red with blood are their spears when they come to fight.
 They form a closed group.
 The prince in his wisdom puts trust in such men. 
 Who hack through enemy shields.
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 08:40:50 PM »
Yeah Moe, they would be terrible neighbors.  But nowhere near as terrible a neighbor that the later Europeans were to the inhabitants of North America in the area that became the United States.  When the Vikings conquered an area they installed their form of government and over time they (the Vikings) were assimilated into the local population.  They did their share of killing, raping, and pillaging but when they colonized and conquered foe it wasn't the end of the line for the inhabitants.  They colonized much of what became England and many areas in Europe.  The Vikings raids also resulted in their colonization of vast areas of land to the east that became Russia.  The Rurik Viking dynasty lasted until the Romanovs ascended.  Here is a look at that dynasty: 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rurik_Dynasty

This TV dramatization aside, their contributions to the world are great.  Theirs was much more than a warrior culture as depicted in movies and on TV.  Coming out of the northcountry and establishing colonies from the Mediterranean to eastern North America they opened up a great deal of the world to trade that would not have existed.  They left their influence on a great number of cultures.

One of my favorite words is Berserk.  It comes from a Viking word for someone who went into battle in some kind of trance.  Here is an old poem written at the time of Viking domination.

I'll ask of the berserks, you tasters of blood,
Those intrepid heroes, how are they treated,
 Those who wade out into battle?
 Wolf-skinned they are called. In battle
 They bear bloody shields.
 Red with blood are their spears when they come to fight.
 They form a closed group.
 The prince in his wisdom puts trust in such men. 
 Who hack through enemy shields.

Don't get me wrong Stan,  my disposition wasn't aimed at being argumentative,  I think that the filming was well produced and the acting is great,  but while I understand that violence exist and that man is the most violent creature on earth,  and that there are even times when violence is the only logical way to solve some specific problems,  the older I get the less i care to see it.
  Certain forms of violence bother me more than others,  I've seen most of them in my LE career and most while not warranted, could be explained,  but when the violence such as is portrayed in that series,  or the violence that is created by acts of wanton terrorism on innocent and defenseless people,  whether it's the ovens in Germany,  crashing airliners into sky scrapers,  or a Middle eastern dictator gasing tens of thousands of his own people,  or the genocides in Africa,  or on students crying for freedom in a city square in China,  it should not be celebrated or used for profit.
  I understand that it's being shown on the history channel,  and that it certainly qualifies as a documentary,  but for me personally,  it's just a reminder that in all the time that has passed since the Vikings terrorized a good part of the world,  a long list of murdering hords came after them,  and in some parts of the world still exist and are still doing the same horrific acts of violence on innocent people,  you would think we'ed have progressed as a species.

Sorry for the rant,  But i did like the boat.   :)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2013, 09:48:13 PM »
I like the boat too Moe.

(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2013, 10:18:33 PM »
I like the boat too Moe.

:thumbsup:

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2013, 10:25:04 PM »
I think if you can put aside the barbarism and look at the Norsemen in the light of their treatment and respect of women in their own society and the equality that they practiced in their families, villages and government, you begin to see the advancement of ther culture beyond that of their adversaries.  In many ways their culture was much further advanced than other European cultures during the Dark Ages. 

They may have been a bit 'heavy handed' in their methods, but the spreading and adopting of their ways of governing themselves was much better for society in general than the horrific forms of governing present in the countries they invaded.   

I think it's going to be enlightening to see how it all unfolds.  Certainly it will involve violence, but consider the incomparable and much higher number of deaths and destruction that took place within our own borders during our Civil War.  The Vikings were a fart in a whirlwind, by comparison, in the numbers of deaths they were responsible for.....and over a much longer period of time. >:D

I love their boats, too. O:-)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2013, 10:35:12 PM »
I think if you can put aside the barbarism and look at the Norsemen in the light of their treatment and respect of women in their own society and the equality that they practiced in their families, villages and government, you begin to see the advancement of ther culture beyond that of their adversaries.  In many ways their culture was much further advanced than other European cultures during the Dark Ages. 

They may have been a bit 'heavy handed' in their methods, but the spreading and adopting of their ways of governing themselves was much better for society in general than the horrific forms of governing present in the countries they invaded.   

I think it's going to be enlightening to see how it all unfolds.  Certainly it will involve violence, but consider the incomparable and much higher number of deaths and destruction that took place within our own borders during our Civil War.  The Vikings were a fart in a whirlwind, by comparison, in the numbers of deaths they were responsible for.....and over a much longer period of time. >:D

I did notice how advanced they were about their women in the part of the flick where they were getting ready to sail west,  where the brother of the shows star flipped his sister in law over the table and bid her farewell.   :rolleyes:

Sorry Wolfy,  I couldn't help myself.   :)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2013, 10:42:44 PM »

Wolfy,  how can you compare two army's fighting each other with a tribe of crazed Vikings slaughtering a dozen peaceful unarmed Monks in a Monastery.
   I know it's late, but I ain't that tired.   :shrug:

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2013, 10:55:14 PM »
I fully believe that scene between the brother inlaw and the wife will lead to 'complications' later on in the series, Moe. ;)

I haven't seen the second episode with the fighting scenes or the Monk slaughter either, so I can't speak to that. 

I am not defending their methods in conquering their adversaries, but I do think their culture did a lot for the advancement of government as it should be in the world.

I hope you keep watching and look at the 'whole picture'....it looks like a chance to learn something, to me. :shrug:

BTW.....you might not be tired, but I AM!

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2013, 11:13:16 PM »
I fully believe that scene between the brother inlaw and the wife will lead to 'complications' later on in the series, Moe. ;)

I haven't seen the second episode with the fighting scenes or the Monk slaughter either, so I can't speak to that. 

I am not defending their methods in conquering their adversaries, but I do think their culture did a lot for the advancement of government as it should be in the world.

I hope you keep watching and look at the 'whole picture'....it looks like a chance to learn something, to me. :shrug:

BTW.....you might not be tired, but I AM!

I'm with you on the brother in law thing,  and I think the wife is going to be the one who settles old scores,  she didn't look like the type to take any crap when she was fighting with her husband,  if anything that fight came out more even in her favor than his.   :)
  You need to watch the second episode to have a better idea why I'm making you so defensive.  I don't know any better,  but I'd swear you got some Viking blood in you somewhere along the way.   :stir: :canoe:

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2013, 11:16:04 PM »
 :lol: :devil: >:D

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2013, 11:45:05 PM »
I'm lost..  was last nights episode the second show already?    The one with the kid getting the ring and the new boat taken out for the first time?

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2013, 11:53:54 PM »
That's the first one, WW.

Offline werewolf won

• Water Stone
  • TANSTAAFL
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2013, 07:22:08 AM »
I watched the show last night on delay.  Not bad, better than the latest collection of gangster, witches, vampires and werewolf shows.  Hollywood does not have an original thought.  If one type works for one network then within a season they all will have copied the format.  Even  the nontraditional channels have fallen into the same pattern.

This new show is already starting as a soap opera with the lead's brother chasing his wife, a seemingly crooked Chieftain etc.  Kind of Game of Thrones like.  We will see how it goes.

The navigation device was interesting.  I was once taught that the Vikings used caged ravens for navigation.  They would release the birds when they were out of sight of land.  If the bird could not see land it would have no option but to return to the deck of the long boat; but if it could see land it would fly off to it.  If the bird flew off the stern you knew land was behind you etc. Between that and the sun you had a decent idea what direction you were traveling and where land was.
I'll be a story in your head, but that's OK we're all stories in the end.  Just make it a good one!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2013, 07:32:54 AM »
I am in the same camp, but I HOPE the drama is there to show how their society functioned.  We'll see how it develops, I guess, but the writer/director is a scholar and student of their societal function, which gives me a smidgen of faith that it will have some value. ???

Offline werewolf won

• Water Stone
  • TANSTAAFL
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2013, 07:57:22 AM »
The more I think about the navigation device the more anachronistic I think it might be.  Did the Vikings of that time even realize the Earth revolved around the sun, or that the Earth was round?  Both facts need to be realized to understand what they were observing.
I'll be a story in your head, but that's OK we're all stories in the end.  Just make it a good one!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2013, 08:04:34 AM »
Here's some interesting stuff.....

http://www.ravingravens.com/blog/2011/11/viking-navigation-tools-the-sunstone.html

Remember the 'sun stone' in the first episode?

Offline werewolf won

• Water Stone
  • TANSTAAFL
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2013, 08:19:53 AM »
Yes the crystal was no surprise to see.  Longitude was the hard thing to determine.     

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2013, 08:52:04 AM »
John Harrison invented the first successful chronometer in the mid 18th century.  Until that time, establishing an accurate longitudinal position was pretty 'sketchy' :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Harrison

A really interesting book by Dava Sobel entitled LONGITUDE is fascinating and well worth reading if you are interested in the quest for discovering a working solution to the age old mystery of establishing longitudinal positioning on the open sea.  It's well written and interesting!

Offline werewolf won

• Water Stone
  • TANSTAAFL
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2013, 09:30:16 AM »
Many moons ago I got the bright idea that I would like to learn to use a sextant.  Well taking the sighting the really pretty easy, but the math that they put you through to figure out where the heck you are is another story.  I have a solid science background, so complex math is a part of my being, but it was an adventure trying to remember cosigns and tangents of angles.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2013, 09:43:27 AM »
 :rofl: I envy your background in math!  I've run into a bit of a problem with my hobby of mapping and surveying, in that I never had any trigonometry in high school! :P.   I've had to learn some basic trig functions in order to accurately build a map through an 'app' that my wife bought for me for Christmas. ???  I did take geometry, though, which has been my one saving grace in trying to get 'smarter'! :lol:

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2013, 01:18:24 PM »
According to this morning's newspaper, the first night's episode drew 6.2 million viewers.  That's a pretty sizable number of households watching.........ev en beat out HoneyBooBoo! :P

Offline werewolf won

• Water Stone
  • TANSTAAFL
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2013, 01:40:44 PM »
:rofl: I envy your background in math!  I've run into a bit of a problem with my hobby of mapping and surveying, in that I never had any trigonometry in high school! :P.   I've had to learn some basic trig functions in order to accurately build a map through an 'app' that my wife bought for me for Christmas. ???  I did take geometry, though, which has been my one saving grace in trying to get 'smarter'! :lol:

LOL the only problem with my math is I am just as likely to come up with 7 + 6 equaling 31 as 13.  My dyslexia can be intense at times.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2013, 09:46:32 AM »
Is this the first episode that you folks are discussing?
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2013, 01:24:38 PM »
No.

The one we are talking about is here:  http://www.history.com/shows/vikings
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2013, 03:44:27 PM »
Is this the first episode that you folks are discussing?

Like Stan said, that's not the series that's on now, but thanks a LOT for bringing that video to the thread, JD.......VERY well done and a good background and 'checkpoint' for verification of how the Vikings will be portrayed in this new series!   

In reality, that 45 minute video will probably give everyone a more accurate picture of Viking life than the 'drama' series that is on now!   The short review in the newspaper said that the word 'epic' will likely be used in the descriptions of this new production, but you know how that goes, too. ???    Another episode or two will soon reveal to us if it turns out to be an 'epic' failure or rousing success. :shrug:

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2013, 08:06:53 PM »
Bump for tonight's episode....just started. >:D

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2013, 08:41:36 PM »
Bump for tonight's episode....just started. >:D

Yes, and on my satellite it will re-air again right after the first one, just in case you tuned in late.
(Mark Twain)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2013, 09:08:22 PM »
Here is another site with a living history of early cultures that include the Vikings and other contemporary cultures. Its based on England and deals mainly with events in England including Viking raiders.

http://www.regia.org/main.htm
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2013, 09:16:56 PM »
Here is another site with a living history of early cultures that include the Vikings and other contemporary cultures. Its based on England and deals mainly with events in England including Viking raiders.

Thanks, Stan.....I'll check it out!

EDIT:  There's some good stuff in there, as there was in MnS's video from the History Channel.  Did you get a chance to watch it?  It pretty much gave us a prelude to the first of their raids, as was portrayed in tonight's episode on the monk-slaughter. :P
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 09:28:02 PM by wolfy »

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2013, 10:19:02 PM »

Thanks, Stan.....I'll check it out!

EDIT:  There's some good stuff in there, as there was in MnS's video from the History Channel.  Did you get a chance to watch it?  It pretty much gave us a prelude to the first of their raids, as was portrayed in tonight's episode on the monk-slaughter. :P

I kind of skimmed through it quickly and seeing it was a documentary will go back when I have some time.  Got tied up watching a heifer calve tonight. 

BTW, I see that the 3rd episode of the Vikings will be on the History Channel website on Monday.

I went up and watched the documentary MS posted.  Good stuff in there.  Thanks MS for posting that.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 11:09:17 PM by wsdstan »
(Mark Twain)

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2013, 10:48:36 PM »
It's a pretty awesome show, but not really historically accurate in more than one way. Neat how they made it into a historical fiction series rather than a simple documentary. I love documentaries, but sometimes it's fun to watch a "normal" show, haha.
"Nancy, you're me darlin, I loves ye all to bits! I'll climb up to your chamber, and under your mountainous...."

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2013, 10:51:37 AM »
If you watch the documentary that MnSpsmn posted up above it lays a good foundation for the Vikings and their raids.  They visit several sites and museums along with some reconstructions of their long houses and forts.  The monastery that is in the 2ND docudrama is probably based on the one in the documentary. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline werewolf won

• Water Stone
  • TANSTAAFL
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2013, 05:18:09 AM »
Watched the second installment last night, not to bad!  I guess the Raven thing I posted about earlier was correct.  I am getting old and for the life of me cannot recall where I heard that originally.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2013, 07:12:14 AM »
When the 'raven segment' came up, right at the end of the second episode, I remembered that you had mentioned they had used them as a navigation 'tool'.:hail:   You don't happen to recall where you came by that piece of information, do you?    That was the first time I'd heard of it. :shrug:

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2013, 07:35:28 AM »
Wolfy,

Along the same lines as the question you asked of WWwon,

You might enjoy this article about Viking navigation. It also mentions your "raven" method:
At Sea with a Viking Satnav

or this one that also mentions the ravens:
Viking navigation
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2013, 07:41:18 AM »
Thanks a lot, JD!  I really appreciate that additional info. :thumbsup: :cheers: