Author Topic: THE VIKINGS  (Read 39820 times)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
Re: THE VIKINGS
« Reply #200 on: January 05, 2017, 12:02:40 PM »
I'd like to have a well made socketed spear head. I have two of the Hanweii spears but they are decorative only.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener in a war

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #201 on: January 05, 2017, 06:48:45 PM »
I haven't watched any of these yet. I am thinking of binge watching to catch up.

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #202 on: January 05, 2017, 07:39:19 PM »
I think you'll like it......not just BS, but based on evidence and recorded history that they have discovered over the years.  Lots of research blended into a great tale!
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #203 on: January 18, 2017, 10:30:08 PM »
Anybody see tonight's episode? :shrug:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #204 on: January 19, 2017, 09:59:51 AM »
Is Ragnar really dead?  I saw the episode and when they dropped him in the snake pit I still expected him to get out somehow but it appears he did not.  Missed the last two episodes and fell asleep last night.   :'(
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #205 on: January 19, 2017, 11:16:05 AM »
Yup, Ragnar's toast. :'(     Bjorn and all his brothers took the whole Viking empire's army after his captors to avenge his death. 

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #206 on: January 19, 2017, 01:46:13 PM »
Thanks.  I gotta try to pay more attention to this series.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #207 on: January 24, 2017, 07:54:14 PM »
I think you'll like it......not just BS, but based on evidence and recorded history that they have discovered over the years.  Lots of research blended into a great tale!

You may be like me in that / not into jewelry. But.

A mjolnir hammer pendant sure would look cool hangin from the bib as a fob for watch or flashlight, or whatever. ...since you like Vikings. I think they are kinda cool when the design is of the authentic looking yet simple type.

https://throwbackthorsday.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/forfra1.jpg?w=1485. Maybe not that simple, but close. I picked this one because it would be easy to reproduce with metal, a couple hammers, and large, new nail set.

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #208 on: January 24, 2017, 10:09:40 PM »
Only jewelry I wear is a simple gold band, BUT that is pretty cool! 8)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #209 on: January 25, 2017, 04:27:53 PM »
I figgered it that way, why I suggested usage as a fob. My gold ring doesn't fit anymore and I have not worn it for years. For a little while I kept it on a chain, like probably after lord of the rings movie came out, lol. I have a couple bolo ties, and a couple old pawn torquoise and silver rings, mostly because I thought they were cool looking.

True enough I suggested this hammer thing because I was wanting one for myself. So, a what the heck, occurred to me and I ordered one. I have that Viking lust for silver. Maybe like wearing copper,  there will be some supposed benefit from wearing silver... + mjolnir are easier to carry around than a socketed spear.

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #210 on: January 25, 2017, 06:45:10 PM »
For those few barbarians still following this series.....it starts in 15 minutes! :duel:

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #211 on: February 01, 2017, 06:03:00 PM »
King Ecbert is up to something tonight. :spider:

Starts in 1 hour......fair warning!

Offline NewEnglandBushcraft

• Whetstone +
« Reply #212 on: February 01, 2017, 06:33:12 PM »
It would be hilarious if the show overlapped with BBC's "The Last Kingdom", and Uhtred steps into the big screen to turn the tables of the vikings.  >:D

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." ~ Abraham Lincoln
My blog, https://newenglandbushcraft.wordpress.com/

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #213 on: February 01, 2017, 08:07:17 PM »
We'll have to wait 'till next season to find out......tonight was the season finale. :doh:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #214 on: February 02, 2017, 11:38:33 AM »
I watched it but didn't know that.  Darn, that is a long time to wait.
(Mark Twain)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #215 on: October 20, 2017, 11:47:51 PM »
If you saw media reports claiming the name of allah being discovered in ancient Scandinavian textile patterns don't worry it's just cultural marxists bs. Sheesh. Not even close.

Offline buzzacott

• Whetstone +
« Reply #216 on: October 21, 2017, 02:57:46 AM »
I'm looking forward to the next season. If you've read the Sagas (and the history books for that matter), Ol' Ragnar's story was just the appetizer. The Great Heathen Army is where it all gets interesting :-D

Despite the fact they've screwed up the chronology of various events, I reckon Vikings is a ripper of a show - they've gone out of their way to educate on the lifestyle, religion and culture not only of the Norse themselves, but of the Saxons and the Franks. We haven't seen enough of the Moors to get any idea of how they lived and died but that's coming when Bjorn Ironside finally gets to pillage the Med.

@Unknown - Yeah, the whole "allah" thing on the Norse textiles is a bit of a reach I think. We know that when they weren't a-viking, they traded extensively with anyone and everyone. If you looked hard enough you'd probably find Chinese or Indian textiles and designs. Means very little - and certainly doesn't mean the Norse were practicing Mohammedans or whatever. I think the terms "politically correct" and "vikings" mix like oil and water ;-)
Don't kill unless for the pot. Don't fell a green tree for a pole if there are dry poles nearby. Study the bush, learn to read its secrets; watch the mason fly building and go to the ant for another lesson... then you'll realise the bush is your friend.
Richard Graves - 1944

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #217 on: November 29, 2017, 08:02:44 PM »
The new season started tonight, but I just now noticed it and it is half over!  :doh:   No worries, though.....it runs again at midnight and I?ll watch it tomorrow, thanks to the wonders of DVR. :hail:

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #218 on: November 30, 2017, 07:25:09 AM »
 Vikings = A truly barbaric and horrible example of man, and a complete waste of human flesh.

Isn't their whole claim to fame, what they lived for, was that they delighted in killing, robbing, and terrorizing unsuspecting people ?

It kind of shows Ragnar and Hitler as birds of a feather I'd say.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 07:33:06 AM by Moe M. »
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #219 on: November 30, 2017, 09:07:31 AM »
But Ragnar never ate Velveeta, either, Moe......so he can't be ALL bad, can he? :cheers:

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #220 on: November 30, 2017, 04:24:54 PM »
But Ragnar never ate Velveeta, either, Moe......so he can't be ALL bad, can he? :cheers:

I can tell this is going to take a long time to go away,  though I never figured that Velveeta would be cast into the same mold as junk Mora's or S&W vs. Ruger discussions.  (grin)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #221 on: November 30, 2017, 06:30:48 PM »
If I quoted Moe, I'd likely end up reading the statement again. Which I'd rather not because it is quite a saddening thing to read. Since it is verifiably false on all counts after only a few hours research online I have to assume he is joking just to dig at Wolfy for watching TV on a predetermined schedule.
   That is some genuine SJW tier thinking for sure.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #222 on: November 30, 2017, 06:51:19 PM »
I am sure that Moe knows the many contributions that Vikings made to western culture.  They were far more than a bunch of blood thirsty raiders in their ships who went about hacking the clergy and other noblemen.  Read a little about them here:

https://history.yale.edu/news/vikings-yale-historian-looks-myths-vs-history
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #223 on: December 01, 2017, 04:46:33 PM »

Thanks Stan,  yes, I'm aware of the great contributions that the Vikings made to western culture,  there have been many different bands, tribes, and nationalities of people across the globe that in there own way have made invaluable contributions down through history,  there are also many who have perpetuated horrific acts of continued violence upon the worlds landscape, and sometimes they can be one in the same.
 History and facts can be subjective depending on who is assembling the information and what metric they use to cast judgement good or bad,  vast differences can exist in painting these word images of those people and their actual place in history,  academics usually view life and history without emotion, historians generally loose themselves in the statistics,  the commoners tend to look at these things in simpler terms, and are more judgmental.
 For example, Islam has been credited with giving the world great advances in art, medicine, mathematics, and building design,  yet it has also given us worldwide wholesale terrorism and senseless violence, which begs the question, should they be forgiven the atrocities they loosed on the world simply because they gave us advanced math and pretty artful designs ?
 I've heard that the Vikings series has been written and produced with the greatest of accuracy, if that's the case, it speaks for itself,  while it may be entertaining to many,  personally I'd rather watch Christmas specials on the Hallmark channel.   

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #224 on: December 01, 2017, 06:10:11 PM »
Boy Moe you are getting cranky in your older years but you are right about one thing.  The winner gets to write the history books.   :cheers:
(Mark Twain)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #225 on: December 02, 2017, 05:59:36 AM »
I didn't read it as cranky at all. One of the things I appreciate about Moe is his willingness to write at length.

True I'm making a mountain from a moe hill to some extent. I hope, not too much. If one doesn't like the program for some reason, that's fine. I don't care either way. Last I saw Ragnar was strung out on dope from a Chinese slave/nurse. The show might follow known historical events in a more accurate way than most other films on similar topics, does that make it accurate? I doubt it.

What the Vikings did and other conquerors did was by and large good and right. Why wouldn't you do the same thing if you lived in that time and place? When trekking in the style of the 18th c. Longhunter what did you think you were reenacting other than invading, exploring a foreign land for the purpose of providing a more bountiful life for yourself and family, clan? Surely the plan wasn't to give in or retreat at the first sign of resistance for those 18c. chaps.

It was such a shock really, to hear you say something like that. I remember a similar statement from early in this thread, though I thought it was made by someone else. It doesn't really matter, it just seems so weird to me. Mainly because the values that you like to talk about, the individualism, self reliance etc, etc were all born in those Northern European peoples. Though maybe I should restate that more broadly to include all of the descendants of the indo-Europeans ( I mentioned them a lot because I love those guys) they invented honor, glory and the individual. That was truly an innovation and a leap in human consciousness.

I'm not really trying to correct you as much as encourage a "better" way of thinking?  Ok then. One slight correction. You don't need to become an apologist for Arabs or Islam just yet. The gifts to humanity claimed by your informant is just another in a long list of attempts to give a little credit to any other convenient civilization not primarily white. Sorry Mohamed, maths, medicine, architecture is either Greek or Indo-Iranian. Islam does get credit for conquering those lands and peoples and claiming their accomplishments for themselves. Isn't that what so many like to claim the white Europeans did...Go around and steal every other cultures' ideas.
   At one time I thought Freud's psychological projection was just as much hogwash as the rest of his pseudo science. But more and more I see that it is an accurate analysis for a specific group. In most very instance accusations that are ascribed to others, they thems lives are guilty of.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #226 on: December 02, 2017, 06:25:12 AM »
Boy Moe you are getting cranky in your older years but you are right about one thing.  The winner gets to write the history books.   :cheers:

LOL, me cranky,  I've actually mellowed quite a bit over the last decade or so, hell, I used to pick my friends according to how much they enjoyed arguing, but they've mostly crossed the river now and all I'm left with is you guys.
 While I do try to tread lightly it does get a little boring being nice all the time, and it feels so good to just pick an argument, about anything, don't matter what, just so long as you can get that twinkle in your eye, puff up your chest a little, tug your shirt sleeves up and get into it.
  As far as lately goes, I wasn't looking for a debate and I didn't have to make up something arguable, you guys hit on three of my best pet peeve buttons, Imitation food, Mora knives, and Vikings,  that there is a red carpet invitation,  kind of like putting a bowl of M&M's down in front of a man with a sweet tooth, call it seduction, inticement, or entrapment, but you know that he's going to dip into it.   

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #227 on: December 02, 2017, 07:44:14 AM »
I didn't read it as cranky at all. One of the things I appreciate about Moe is his willingness to write at length.

True I'm making a mountain from a moe hill to some extent. I hope, not too much. If one doesn't like the program for some reason, that's fine. I don't care either way. Last I saw Ragnar was strung out on dope from a Chinese slave/nurse. The show might follow known historical events in a more accurate way than most other films on similar topics, does that make it accurate? I doubt it.

What the Vikings did and other conquerors did was by and large good and right. Why wouldn't you do the same thing if you lived in that time and place? When trekking in the style of the 18th c. Longhunter what did you think you were reenacting other than invading, exploring a foreign land for the purpose of providing a more bountiful life for yourself and family, clan? Surely the plan wasn't to give in or retreat at the first sign of resistance for those 18c. chaps.

It was such a shock really, to hear you say something like that. I remember a similar statement from early in this thread, though I thought it was made by someone else. It doesn't really matter, it just seems so weird to me. Mainly because the values that you like to talk about, the individualism, self reliance etc, etc were all born in those Northern European peoples. Though maybe I should restate that more broadly to include all of the descendants of the indo-Europeans ( I mentioned them a lot because I love those guys) they invented honor, glory and the individual. That was truly an innovation and a leap in human consciousness.

I'm not really trying to correct you as much as encourage a "better" way of thinking?  Ok then. One slight correction. You don't need to become an apologist for Arabs or Islam just yet. The gifts to humanity claimed by your informant is just another in a long list of attempts to give a little credit to any other convenient civilization not primarily white. Sorry Mohamed, maths, medicine, architecture is either Greek or Indo-Iranian. Islam does get credit for conquering those lands and peoples and claiming their accomplishments for themselves. Isn't that what so many like to claim the white Europeans did...Go around and steal every other cultures' ideas.
   At one time I thought Freud's psychological projection was just as much hogwash as the rest of his pseudo science. But more and more I see that it is an accurate analysis for a specific group. In most very instance accusations that are ascribed to others, they thems lives are guilty of.

Good post, I actually understood everything that you wrote without having to stop and scratch my head once through the whole piece, thumbs up.

I agree with you, some of my posts are way too long,  I do have a tendency to dwell on small unimportant details instead of getting to the meat of the topic in a timely fashion.
  I'll also agree with you that while the producers of The Vikings may strive for accuracy, very few of those types of productions actually come close to being historically accurate.
  You're also right, I think,  when you speak about history's conquerors having a mindset guided by the times they lived in,  but I disagree with you that what they did was good and right, or that they took a major part in the settlement of the New World in the 17th.~18th  centuries, or that there was any kind of similarity between the conqueror mindset of the Vikings and others of their ilk and that of the farmers, long hunters, and explorers that made their way to our shores in the 17th. and 18th. century and pushed westward in search of land and game
  Many of the native people that were here during that time and before did engage in raiding, conquering, killing, and capturing slaves from other tribes who they perceived to be better off,  but not so for the explorers and fur hunters that were mostly made up of white European stock,  while they did engage in battles with the natives over land and game,  their aim wasn't to raid villages to steal and kill,  but merely in self defense and defense of their property, to think differently is to inject moral relativity into the discussion, and I'm not a believer in the theory.
  And that's about as far into it as I want get with you,  we look at things much differently I believe,  you tend to be an academic and intellectual, and as such a stickler for detail rather than viewing the big picture,  I on the other hand view things, including history in a simpler fashion,  you're more the philosopher type, I'm more the Archie Bunker type, if you get my drift.  (big grin)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #228 on: December 02, 2017, 04:09:06 PM »
That's probably good, enough is enough. ;) big picture overview is what I was trying to present, so while there may  be many differences between Norse conquest and  early American frontiersman the motivating spirit is the same imo. Travel to a distant place, fight inhabitants that want to fight, trade with those who want to trade, stay and farm conquered land.

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #229 on: December 02, 2017, 06:57:14 PM »

Speaking of cranky old farts, anybody hear anything from Quenchcrack?  I see he has not  checked in since November 7th!  :shrug:
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 11:24:34 AM by wolfy »

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #230 on: December 06, 2017, 12:05:34 PM »
Been watching the Last Kingdom on Netflix,  Vikings there too.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #231 on: December 07, 2017, 09:59:45 AM »
Wife and I just started watching the series a few weeks ago. We are in season 4 now and it has been great so far. I will read through this thread when we are caught up so I don't see too many spoilers.

Offline Orbean

• Whetstone +
« Reply #232 on: December 08, 2017, 06:03:48 PM »
We cut the cord, watching only over the air TV, and I really like it but I do miss The Vikings. I have only seen season one completely and a few episodes of the second. Ordered the DVD set with the first four seasons. My plan is to watch them the week between Christmass day and new years eve. Will have a stocked frig with Breckenridge brewery vanilla porters, leftovers from Christmass eve party and Christmass day dinner. No family members that live under my roof are allowed; the rest of you come on over.
Nice matters

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #233 on: December 08, 2017, 06:50:47 PM »
Vikings> >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D    Brewskies> :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :thumbsup:

ALL HAIL KING RAGNAR!  :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #234 on: December 20, 2017, 06:41:29 PM »
Two episodes tonight!  Bjorn is exploring new worlds and Ivar the Boneless is seeking power over all, while Floki finally makes it back to Kattegat.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #235 on: December 20, 2017, 07:32:27 PM »
I read he went to the Doctor and asked about being boneless.  The Doctor looked at him for a minute and then said "See Alice".
(Mark Twain)

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #236 on: December 21, 2017, 11:50:14 AM »
Soap opera in chain mail..!

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #237 on: December 21, 2017, 11:55:52 AM »
An oversimplification and a bit unfair from what I've read from the true historians of the era. :rolleyes:

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #238 on: December 21, 2017, 01:04:52 PM »
And where did you find a true history, since that is a rather scarce commodity.. An example,  most of the history of the native Americans, would lead us to believe that they were stone age savages who lived in huts or tents, when in fact the Eastern people had walled towns, lived in frame houses and had trade routes that extended all of the way to the Pacific.

When they excavated the mounds in Ohio they found metal tools and ornaments, among those jewelry made of abalone that only can be found along the coast of the Pacific.

The "primitive savage" mentality was much more convenient for our expansion.

There are lots of other examples of "popular history" that are incorrect.   I am more than a little bit suspicious of "true history".     

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #239 on: December 21, 2017, 02:00:35 PM »
You have obviously done zero research on the meticulous creation of this series.  :rolleyes:   Many respected scholars and archeologists  from many countries were instrumental in its creation.  Kattegat was no figment of imagination and the voyages, raids and discoveries made by the Vikings are well known in discoverable history.  Of course, the characterizations and their stories are fictitious, but the way of life, the reasons behind the explorations and raids are reasonable and believable depictions of what life as a Viking in that day and age would have actually been like.  :coffee:

Besides all that.....you are missing a ripping good yarn!  There's nothing else worth crap on the other channels on Wednesday nights that would even come close to interesting ME, so what do YOU find of interest that I might be missing by watching Bjorn, Ivar. Lagertha and Floki?  :shrug: :lol:
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 02:09:21 PM by wolfy »

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #240 on: December 21, 2017, 11:06:28 PM »
Well I am finally caught up to present on the series.

My wife and I have enjoyed it immensely so far. There have been a few fun things I noticed, like Floki's torture/punishment by Ragnar closely mirroring the Norse legend of Loki's punishment where a snake eternally drips poison into a bowl held by his wife, and he gets a few drops of searingly painful poison while she empties the bowl.

There are a few aspects to the story that are largely unsupported by evidence, like the "shield maidens" which are thought to be extremely rare, if they existed at all. In the series, they are almost as common as male warriors. Also the Chinese slave from Paris having several month's worth of betelnut to feed Ragnar's addiction seemed highly unlikely as well. The real Ragnar was thought to have had 3 wives, but he had only two in the series. And it is unlikely that his second wife was actually the daughter of Sigurd of the Volsungs. Nevertheless, it is great storytelling. And also their approach to sexuality seems a little "progressive" as well. I suppose any modern TV series can't resist the compulsion to include a little social diversity, even at the expense of historical accuracy. It doesn't diminish the entertainment value but it does make suspension of disbelief a little more difficult.

About halfway through the series I broke down and ordered a cold steel viking axe and I plan to strip the clear coat and sand the finish, then rust blue it and make it look like some of the movie props, just for fun. I have been using and enjoying my Trail Hawk as a practical tool but I think the viking axe is much less practical and will make a better wall hanger than anything else.

Anyhow I'll give this thread a read in its entirety some night soon.

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #241 on: December 22, 2017, 06:52:01 AM »
I tried watching it and could not get interested.. I stick with my soap opera assessment, if it was not so, no one would watch a purely historical presentation without the drama and gratuitous violence, hence the term "Docudrama"..!

I am watching a series on Netflix about the Roman Empire.  The episodes are broken into segments, presented by historians, with some small segments of drama.  Like the Egyptians and Greeks the Romans kept meticulous records, so there is basis for some reasonable percentage of accuracy.

However historical records are not always accurate, an example is the battle of Kadesh.  Ramesses the second went off to battle the Hittites, they fought to a draw.  The Egyptians and the Hittites drew up a peace treaty, a copy of which hangs in the UN in New York.  However when Ramesses returned to Egypt he proclaimed himself the victor in the battle and commissioned  numerous monuments commemorating the event.   

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #242 on: December 22, 2017, 12:16:50 PM »
I look upon the 'drama' within the ongoing Vikings series as mere humanity-based adhesive that binds together the facts of what we DO know about Viking culture.  So far, from what I've seen of the Viking culture they've presented has at least SOME basis in fact.  Surely, some of it it is over-emphasized for entertainment purposes, but the era's visual aspect is tremendously well done from what I've learned from reading and now am able to view on a TV screen......rather than just imagine in my mind's eye.  Of course, if you haven't watched it faithfully from the beginning of the series, you wouldn't know that or might judge it unfairly for the so-called 'soap opera' personification of the characters presented. :shrug:

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #243 on: December 22, 2017, 01:08:23 PM »
Wolfy

Exactly, the drama paves over the cold hard facts, and makes a palatable presentation.  I am glad you enjoy the series, I just could not get into it.

j

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #244 on: December 22, 2017, 01:38:34 PM »
That's understandable. :coffee:     Perhaps it's the Nordic blood coursing through my veins..........but to each his own. :cheers:

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #245 on: December 22, 2017, 02:02:53 PM »
On the topic of 'shield maidens' that PW brought up in his last post, I agree that their numbers in Norse mythology is most likely overblown, however, we do know that there is concrete evidence that they in fact, did exist.   Probably not in the numbers that exist in the romantic tall tales that we've been exposed to over the years, but recently unearthed evidence supports that at east ONE did......

https://www.sciencealert.com/this-viking-dna-discovery-says-there-really-were-shield-maidens

« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 02:10:15 PM by wolfy »

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #246 on: December 22, 2017, 04:53:16 PM »
And where did you find a true history, since that is a rather scarce commodity.. An example,  most of the history of the native Americans, would lead us to believe that they were stone age savages who lived in huts or tents, when in fact the Eastern people had walled towns, lived in frame houses and had trade routes that extended all of the way to the Pacific.

When they excavated the mounds in Ohio they found metal tools and ornaments, among those jewelry made of abalone that only can be found along the coast of the Pacific.

The "primitive savage" mentality was much more convenient for our expansion.

There are lots of other examples of "popular history" that are incorrect.   I am more than a little bit suspicious of "true history".   

I find this kind of stuff, the discrepancies, the oddities, and OOPAs really fascinating. If anything deserves a do-over, in that it was a complete waste of time and energy, it has to be the 20th c. Man I hope we can recover.

I wish I knew more about them, maybe the academics do too. From what I've seen, read the Mississippian/ Mound Builder culture was quite a bit different, distinct from the Eastern Woodland and other Tribes which we know more about. I'm not sure if it was disease or genocide by Indians but the mound builders were long gone by Thanksgiving. I could be wrong about that. I especially enjoy the LDS type presentations of the stuff because they pull out the metal tablets, swords, evidence giant skeletons, and such as that. Maybe it was Phoenicians?

There are just too many strange things and way too much obscurantism that has happened practically right before our eyes. That Zahi Hwass Indiana Jones A rab in all Egypt "documentaries" is a good example. Now he sure would get mad if someone suggested ET built the pyramids. He Claimed it was just the brilliance of the native Egyptians. That may be so, but it is terribly wrong to suggest that the present population is representative of the ancient population. We might not be able to say what every Egyptian looked like, but we could get some DNA from the royal mummies. Ancient Greeks did not look like the more or less Turkish population of today. Trying to keep track of, or know who, where to track the movements of people around the ancient world is very confusing. There was one guy somewhere in the 30s trying to make some discoveries but in the end was unsuccessful. Forget his name... hmmm. A lot of his notions seem to be proven out if you start digging.

As long as it's not Wednesday maybe someone can help with this. Seems like cro-magnon used to be a more primitive concept, but at least in passing, it's like they are up graded to full sapien sapien status. It may even be they have the larger brain, as do Neanderthal, compared to us moderns. Though explained away by experts, it is a bit odd, and not exactly in line with other stuff were told to be true about brains. Last thing. I don't trust the deep history they extract from DNA. See what you can unearth; I'll believe almost anything for a couple of days anyway/ so long as it offers a glimmer of hope for this faltering tribe of mine.

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #247 on: December 23, 2017, 08:30:01 AM »
Unknown

A lot of ground there.  More than a little is controversial in academic circles. Once ideas become entrenched in the minds of scholars, they are very difficult to change.  There was a time when to say the Earth was not the center of the universe carried a death penalty. 

The Earth has been here for 4,5 billion years, +/- a few million. a comment that would have gotten one into serious trouble once upon a time.  The world has gone through a number cataclysmic events, that have effectively wiped out the majority of life, and everything had to start again.

There are a number of very well educated folks in the alternative history camp, and some real "nut jobs", that believe we are not the first and most highly advanced civilization to have existed on the planet.

There are a multitude of anomalous artifacts  that tend to contradict the accepted view of history.

I have long been a student of Egyptian history, I find the current view that all of the tremendous stone structures were made with stone, copper tools, and a lot of perspiration, more than a little hard to believe. In recent history the idea that the structures were built by slaves has been replaced by some compelling evidence that the builders were paid for their work. 

There are artifacts in the Cairo museum, that either have no explained use or have no explanation of how they were made.  There are a great number of stone vases, made of very hard stone, that to duplicate today would take diamond tipped tools.

Then there is the device found in a ship wreck in the Mediterranean, dated back to around 3500 years ago that can only be explained as an analog computer.  The Antikythera device.

There are indications that there was commerce between the New and Old world, in ancient times.  Some of the Egyptian mummies show signs of the use of cocaine, which come from central and south America.  Then there are the similarities in stone work, the great stone walls in Peru that a constructed with multi sided blocks with knobs on them.  The same sort of construction is found in the casing stones of the Menkura pyramid at Giza.

Just a few examples, there anomalies found world wide, that bring the "standard model" of history into question.

I am a long way from giving credence to intervention by space aliens, and not sure that the long slow linear climb to technology and civilization is the correct answer.

As an old policeman, I have found that anytime there are two opposing views, usually the truth lies someplace in between.     

As a foot note, it appears that the Department of Defense released some video taken from a jet fighter on training operations, of a UFO..

A long way from Vikings, now a series I would like to see would be about the sea faring peoples of the Pacific Northwest.   

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #248 on: January 10, 2018, 04:56:17 PM »
Bjorn prepares for an attack on Kattegat tonight. >:D

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #249 on: January 17, 2018, 05:33:06 PM »
Floki screws up again, tonight. :P