Author Topic: THE VIKINGS  (Read 35061 times)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
Re: THE VIKINGS
« Reply #200 on: January 05, 2017, 12:02:40 PM »
I'd like to have a well made socketed spear head. I have two of the Hanweii spears but they are decorative only.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #201 on: January 05, 2017, 06:48:45 PM »
I haven't watched any of these yet. I am thinking of binge watching to catch up.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #202 on: January 05, 2017, 07:39:19 PM »
I think you'll like it......not just BS, but based on evidence and recorded history that they have discovered over the years.  Lots of research blended into a great tale!
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #203 on: January 18, 2017, 10:30:08 PM »
Anybody see tonight's episode? :shrug:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #204 on: January 19, 2017, 09:59:51 AM »
Is Ragnar really dead?  I saw the episode and when they dropped him in the snake pit I still expected him to get out somehow but it appears he did not.  Missed the last two episodes and fell asleep last night.   :'(
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #205 on: January 19, 2017, 11:16:05 AM »
Yup, Ragnar's toast. :'(     Bjorn and all his brothers took the whole Viking empire's army after his captors to avenge his death. 

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #206 on: January 19, 2017, 01:46:13 PM »
Thanks.  I gotta try to pay more attention to this series.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #207 on: January 24, 2017, 07:54:14 PM »
I think you'll like it......not just BS, but based on evidence and recorded history that they have discovered over the years.  Lots of research blended into a great tale!

You may be like me in that / not into jewelry. But.

A mjolnir hammer pendant sure would look cool hangin from the bib as a fob for watch or flashlight, or whatever. ...since you like Vikings. I think they are kinda cool when the design is of the authentic looking yet simple type.

https://throwbackthorsday.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/forfra1.jpg?w=1485. Maybe not that simple, but close. I picked this one because it would be easy to reproduce with metal, a couple hammers, and large, new nail set.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #208 on: January 24, 2017, 10:09:40 PM »
Only jewelry I wear is a simple gold band, BUT that is pretty cool! 8)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #209 on: January 25, 2017, 04:27:53 PM »
I figgered it that way, why I suggested usage as a fob. My gold ring doesn't fit anymore and I have not worn it for years. For a little while I kept it on a chain, like probably after lord of the rings movie came out, lol. I have a couple bolo ties, and a couple old pawn torquoise and silver rings, mostly because I thought they were cool looking.

True enough I suggested this hammer thing because I was wanting one for myself. So, a what the heck, occurred to me and I ordered one. I have that Viking lust for silver. Maybe like wearing copper,  there will be some supposed benefit from wearing silver... + mjolnir are easier to carry around than a socketed spear.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #210 on: January 25, 2017, 06:45:10 PM »
For those few barbarians still following this series.....it starts in 15 minutes! :duel:

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #211 on: February 01, 2017, 06:03:00 PM »
King Ecbert is up to something tonight. :spider:

Starts in 1 hour......fair warning!

Offline NewEnglandBushcraft

• Whetstone +
« Reply #212 on: February 01, 2017, 06:33:12 PM »
It would be hilarious if the show overlapped with BBC's "The Last Kingdom", and Uhtred steps into the big screen to turn the tables of the vikings.  >:D

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." ~ Abraham Lincoln
My blog, https://newenglandbushcraft.wordpress.com/

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #213 on: February 01, 2017, 08:07:17 PM »
We'll have to wait 'till next season to find out......tonight was the season finale. :doh:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #214 on: February 02, 2017, 11:38:33 AM »
I watched it but didn't know that.  Darn, that is a long time to wait.
(Mark Twain)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #215 on: October 20, 2017, 11:47:51 PM »
If you saw media reports claiming the name of allah being discovered in ancient Scandinavian textile patterns don't worry it's just cultural marxists bs. Sheesh. Not even close.

Offline buzzacott

• Whetstone +
« Reply #216 on: October 21, 2017, 02:57:46 AM »
I'm looking forward to the next season. If you've read the Sagas (and the history books for that matter), Ol' Ragnar's story was just the appetizer. The Great Heathen Army is where it all gets interesting :-D

Despite the fact they've screwed up the chronology of various events, I reckon Vikings is a ripper of a show - they've gone out of their way to educate on the lifestyle, religion and culture not only of the Norse themselves, but of the Saxons and the Franks. We haven't seen enough of the Moors to get any idea of how they lived and died but that's coming when Bjorn Ironside finally gets to pillage the Med.

@Unknown - Yeah, the whole "allah" thing on the Norse textiles is a bit of a reach I think. We know that when they weren't a-viking, they traded extensively with anyone and everyone. If you looked hard enough you'd probably find Chinese or Indian textiles and designs. Means very little - and certainly doesn't mean the Norse were practicing Mohammedans or whatever. I think the terms "politically correct" and "vikings" mix like oil and water ;-)
Don't kill unless for the pot. Don't fell a green tree for a pole if there are dry poles nearby. Study the bush, learn to read its secrets; watch the mason fly building and go to the ant for another lesson... then you'll realise the bush is your friend.
Richard Graves - 1944

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #217 on: November 29, 2017, 08:02:44 PM »
The new season started tonight, but I just now noticed it and it is half over!  :doh:   No worries, though.....it runs again at midnight and I?ll watch it tomorrow, thanks to the wonders of DVR. :hail:

Online Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #218 on: November 30, 2017, 07:25:09 AM »
 Vikings = A truly barbaric and horrible example of man, and a complete waste of human flesh.

Isn't their whole claim to fame, what they lived for, was that they delighted in killing, robbing, and terrorizing unsuspecting people ?

It kind of shows Ragnar and Hitler as birds of a feather I'd say.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 07:33:06 AM by Moe M. »
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #219 on: November 30, 2017, 09:07:31 AM »
But Ragnar never ate Velveeta, either, Moe......so he can't be ALL bad, can he? :cheers:

Online Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #220 on: November 30, 2017, 04:24:54 PM »
But Ragnar never ate Velveeta, either, Moe......so he can't be ALL bad, can he? :cheers:

I can tell this is going to take a long time to go away,  though I never figured that Velveeta would be cast into the same mold as junk Mora's or S&W vs. Ruger discussions.  (grin)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #221 on: November 30, 2017, 06:30:48 PM »
If I quoted Moe, I'd likely end up reading the statement again. Which I'd rather not because it is quite a saddening thing to read. Since it is verifiably false on all counts after only a few hours research online I have to assume he is joking just to dig at Wolfy for watching TV on a predetermined schedule.
   That is some genuine SJW tier thinking for sure.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #222 on: November 30, 2017, 06:51:19 PM »
I am sure that Moe knows the many contributions that Vikings made to western culture.  They were far more than a bunch of blood thirsty raiders in their ships who went about hacking the clergy and other noblemen.  Read a little about them here:

https://history.yale.edu/news/vikings-yale-historian-looks-myths-vs-history
(Mark Twain)

Online Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #223 on: December 01, 2017, 04:46:33 PM »

Thanks Stan,  yes, I'm aware of the great contributions that the Vikings made to western culture,  there have been many different bands, tribes, and nationalities of people across the globe that in there own way have made invaluable contributions down through history,  there are also many who have perpetuated horrific acts of continued violence upon the worlds landscape, and sometimes they can be one in the same.
 History and facts can be subjective depending on who is assembling the information and what metric they use to cast judgement good or bad,  vast differences can exist in painting these word images of those people and their actual place in history,  academics usually view life and history without emotion, historians generally loose themselves in the statistics,  the commoners tend to look at these things in simpler terms, and are more judgmental.
 For example, Islam has been credited with giving the world great advances in art, medicine, mathematics, and building design,  yet it has also given us worldwide wholesale terrorism and senseless violence, which begs the question, should they be forgiven the atrocities they loosed on the world simply because they gave us advanced math and pretty artful designs ?
 I've heard that the Vikings series has been written and produced with the greatest of accuracy, if that's the case, it speaks for itself,  while it may be entertaining to many,  personally I'd rather watch Christmas specials on the Hallmark channel.   

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #224 on: December 01, 2017, 06:10:11 PM »
Boy Moe you are getting cranky in your older years but you are right about one thing.  The winner gets to write the history books.   :cheers:
(Mark Twain)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #225 on: December 02, 2017, 05:59:36 AM »
I didn't read it as cranky at all. One of the things I appreciate about Moe is his willingness to write at length.

True I'm making a mountain from a moe hill to some extent. I hope, not too much. If one doesn't like the program for some reason, that's fine. I don't care either way. Last I saw Ragnar was strung out on dope from a Chinese slave/nurse. The show might follow known historical events in a more accurate way than most other films on similar topics, does that make it accurate? I doubt it.

What the Vikings did and other conquerors did was by and large good and right. Why wouldn't you do the same thing if you lived in that time and place? When trekking in the style of the 18th c. Longhunter what did you think you were reenacting other than invading, exploring a foreign land for the purpose of providing a more bountiful life for yourself and family, clan? Surely the plan wasn't to give in or retreat at the first sign of resistance for those 18c. chaps.

It was such a shock really, to hear you say something like that. I remember a similar statement from early in this thread, though I thought it was made by someone else. It doesn't really matter, it just seems so weird to me. Mainly because the values that you like to talk about, the individualism, self reliance etc, etc were all born in those Northern European peoples. Though maybe I should restate that more broadly to include all of the descendants of the indo-Europeans ( I mentioned them a lot because I love those guys) they invented honor, glory and the individual. That was truly an innovation and a leap in human consciousness.

I'm not really trying to correct you as much as encourage a "better" way of thinking?  Ok then. One slight correction. You don't need to become an apologist for Arabs or Islam just yet. The gifts to humanity claimed by your informant is just another in a long list of attempts to give a little credit to any other convenient civilization not primarily white. Sorry Mohamed, maths, medicine, architecture is either Greek or Indo-Iranian. Islam does get credit for conquering those lands and peoples and claiming their accomplishments for themselves. Isn't that what so many like to claim the white Europeans did...Go around and steal every other cultures' ideas.
   At one time I thought Freud's psychological projection was just as much hogwash as the rest of his pseudo science. But more and more I see that it is an accurate analysis for a specific group. In most very instance accusations that are ascribed to others, they thems lives are guilty of.

Online Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #226 on: December 02, 2017, 06:25:12 AM »
Boy Moe you are getting cranky in your older years but you are right about one thing.  The winner gets to write the history books.   :cheers:

LOL, me cranky,  I've actually mellowed quite a bit over the last decade or so, hell, I used to pick my friends according to how much they enjoyed arguing, but they've mostly crossed the river now and all I'm left with is you guys.
 While I do try to tread lightly it does get a little boring being nice all the time, and it feels so good to just pick an argument, about anything, don't matter what, just so long as you can get that twinkle in your eye, puff up your chest a little, tug your shirt sleeves up and get into it.
  As far as lately goes, I wasn't looking for a debate and I didn't have to make up something arguable, you guys hit on three of my best pet peeve buttons, Imitation food, Mora knives, and Vikings,  that there is a red carpet invitation,  kind of like putting a bowl of M&M's down in front of a man with a sweet tooth, call it seduction, inticement, or entrapment, but you know that he's going to dip into it.   

Online Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #227 on: December 02, 2017, 07:44:14 AM »
I didn't read it as cranky at all. One of the things I appreciate about Moe is his willingness to write at length.

True I'm making a mountain from a moe hill to some extent. I hope, not too much. If one doesn't like the program for some reason, that's fine. I don't care either way. Last I saw Ragnar was strung out on dope from a Chinese slave/nurse. The show might follow known historical events in a more accurate way than most other films on similar topics, does that make it accurate? I doubt it.

What the Vikings did and other conquerors did was by and large good and right. Why wouldn't you do the same thing if you lived in that time and place? When trekking in the style of the 18th c. Longhunter what did you think you were reenacting other than invading, exploring a foreign land for the purpose of providing a more bountiful life for yourself and family, clan? Surely the plan wasn't to give in or retreat at the first sign of resistance for those 18c. chaps.

It was such a shock really, to hear you say something like that. I remember a similar statement from early in this thread, though I thought it was made by someone else. It doesn't really matter, it just seems so weird to me. Mainly because the values that you like to talk about, the individualism, self reliance etc, etc were all born in those Northern European peoples. Though maybe I should restate that more broadly to include all of the descendants of the indo-Europeans ( I mentioned them a lot because I love those guys) they invented honor, glory and the individual. That was truly an innovation and a leap in human consciousness.

I'm not really trying to correct you as much as encourage a "better" way of thinking?  Ok then. One slight correction. You don't need to become an apologist for Arabs or Islam just yet. The gifts to humanity claimed by your informant is just another in a long list of attempts to give a little credit to any other convenient civilization not primarily white. Sorry Mohamed, maths, medicine, architecture is either Greek or Indo-Iranian. Islam does get credit for conquering those lands and peoples and claiming their accomplishments for themselves. Isn't that what so many like to claim the white Europeans did...Go around and steal every other cultures' ideas.
   At one time I thought Freud's psychological projection was just as much hogwash as the rest of his pseudo science. But more and more I see that it is an accurate analysis for a specific group. In most very instance accusations that are ascribed to others, they thems lives are guilty of.

Good post, I actually understood everything that you wrote without having to stop and scratch my head once through the whole piece, thumbs up.

I agree with you, some of my posts are way too long,  I do have a tendency to dwell on small unimportant details instead of getting to the meat of the topic in a timely fashion.
  I'll also agree with you that while the producers of The Vikings may strive for accuracy, very few of those types of productions actually come close to being historically accurate.
  You're also right, I think,  when you speak about history's conquerors having a mindset guided by the times they lived in,  but I disagree with you that what they did was good and right, or that they took a major part in the settlement of the New World in the 17th.~18th  centuries, or that there was any kind of similarity between the conqueror mindset of the Vikings and others of their ilk and that of the farmers, long hunters, and explorers that made their way to our shores in the 17th. and 18th. century and pushed westward in search of land and game
  Many of the native people that were here during that time and before did engage in raiding, conquering, killing, and capturing slaves from other tribes who they perceived to be better off,  but not so for the explorers and fur hunters that were mostly made up of white European stock,  while they did engage in battles with the natives over land and game,  their aim wasn't to raid villages to steal and kill,  but merely in self defense and defense of their property, to think differently is to inject moral relativity into the discussion, and I'm not a believer in the theory.
  And that's about as far into it as I want get with you,  we look at things much differently I believe,  you tend to be an academic and intellectual, and as such a stickler for detail rather than viewing the big picture,  I on the other hand view things, including history in a simpler fashion,  you're more the philosopher type, I'm more the Archie Bunker type, if you get my drift.  (big grin)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #228 on: December 02, 2017, 04:09:06 PM »
That's probably good, enough is enough. ;) big picture overview is what I was trying to present, so while there may  be many differences between Norse conquest and  early American frontiersman the motivating spirit is the same imo. Travel to a distant place, fight inhabitants that want to fight, trade with those who want to trade, stay and farm conquered land.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #229 on: December 02, 2017, 06:57:14 PM »

Speaking of cranky old farts, anybody hear anything from Quenchcrack?  I see he has not  checked in since November 7th!  :shrug:
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 11:24:34 AM by wolfy »

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #230 on: December 06, 2017, 12:05:34 PM »
Been watching the Last Kingdom on Netflix,  Vikings there too.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #231 on: December 07, 2017, 09:59:45 AM »
Wife and I just started watching the series a few weeks ago. We are in season 4 now and it has been great so far. I will read through this thread when we are caught up so I don't see too many spoilers.

Offline Orbean

• Whetstone +
« Reply #232 on: December 08, 2017, 06:03:48 PM »
We cut the cord, watching only over the air TV, and I really like it but I do miss The Vikings. I have only seen season one completely and a few episodes of the second. Ordered the DVD set with the first four seasons. My plan is to watch them the week between Christmass day and new years eve. Will have a stocked frig with Breckenridge brewery vanilla porters, leftovers from Christmass eve party and Christmass day dinner. No family members that live under my roof are allowed; the rest of you come on over.
Nice matters

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #233 on: December 08, 2017, 06:50:47 PM »
Vikings> >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D    Brewskies> :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :thumbsup:

ALL HAIL KING RAGNAR!  :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: