Author Topic: Just Recipes  (Read 48470 times)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
Re: Just Recipes
« Reply #150 on: February 28, 2014, 03:52:14 PM »
PARTY TIME!!!  Beer, pretzels and Drunken Cheese Dip!
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
Spicy Cheese Dip
« Reply #151 on: February 28, 2014, 04:03:22 PM »
A lot of recipes appear complicated, not to mention a lot of work.

Here's a killer cheese dip so simple even a caveman can do it....or a bachelor.

1 10oz can of Ro-Tel Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies.
1 lb of Velveeta Cheese

Cube the Velveeta into 1" chunks.
Open can of Ro-Tel.

Toss cubes of Velveeta in a large microwave proof bowl with the Ro-Tel
Microwave on Med power until the cheese melts.
Remove from microwave and stir.

Break out the chips.
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #152 on: February 28, 2014, 04:05:46 PM »
That sounds GREAT! :drool:

Thanks. A lot of the restaurants in the area where I grew up served this as an appetizer, similar to chips and salsa these days. Always a treat for me.

PARTY TIME!!!  Beer, pretzels and Drunken Cheese Dip!

A snack fit for a king...

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
Re: Spicy Cheese Dip
« Reply #153 on: February 28, 2014, 04:11:54 PM »

1 lb of Velveeta Cheese

Open can of Ro-Tel.

Break out the chips.

Sounds like it would work with some toasted bread on a cool evening, fondue style.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #154 on: February 28, 2014, 04:19:20 PM »
That Tomatoes and Green Chilies Ro-Tel is a passable salsa right out of the can. Just add a pinch of salt, and a squeeze of lemon juice.

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
Re: Spicy Cheese Dip
« Reply #155 on: February 28, 2014, 04:35:33 PM »

1 lb of Velveeta Cheese

Open can of Ro-Tel.

Break out the chips.

Add some fried, crumbled ground beef or sausage to that and its even better!   :cheers:

That beer cheese sounds great, too!   :thumbsup:
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #156 on: February 28, 2014, 04:54:10 PM »
I love that stuff with the sausage added to it :drool:.............heck, I love it ALL!! :drool: :drool:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #157 on: March 17, 2014, 09:11:03 AM »
I'm just going to share the link to Bacon Jam since its the recipe and a pictorial to go with it.

http://tastykitchen.com/blog/2012/07/bacon-jam-ooh-mommy/#comment-787353

That picture at the very bottom with the egg on top....  oooh mommy... :)

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #158 on: March 17, 2014, 10:02:25 AM »
I'm just going to share the link to Bacon Jam since its the recipe and a pictorial to go with it.

WW.

Mmmmmmmmm...sounds good WW

Now you Carny-a-voirs will hate me for this but here goes my vegi chili recipe, no I'm not a vegi-head but hey! ( which I'm actually making as I type )

1 med onion chopped
1 red bell pepper chopped
5 cloves garlic chopped

Throw the above in a med sized soup pot and add 3/4 cup veg stock ( you can obviously use whatever stock you have, but don't use any on the rise  ;) )  bring to a low boil and stir as its doing so  :stir: when the onions turn translucent add...

4 teaspoons chili powder and stir like crazy for 1 minute  :stir: :stir: :stir: the powder might start to stick to pot, that's o.k, just don't let it burn, then remove from heat...

add the following...

1   28 oz can chopped tomatoes or the equivalent fresh
The rest of your 4 cup box of stock
2 1/2 cups lentils, I happened to have green on hand
3 cups of water

Bring the pot to a boil and stir well then turn down to low and let simmer for 45 min, check and stir from time to time  :stir: after 45 min add...

1/4 cup chopped cilantro ( if you like ) and simmer an additional 15 min.

When you first start to cook it up it appears as tho it might turn out more like a soup, but it thickens up a lot and turns out more like the consistency of a ground beef chili...It should make about 6 good sized individual bowls

...I'm not going to pretend its BETTER than a meat based chili, but it's a pretty good alternative .... :cheers:

« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 10:27:41 AM by zammer »
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Online Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #159 on: March 17, 2014, 11:13:09 AM »

WW.

I love bacon as much as the average person,  but some things just go over the top,  Bacon Ice Cream comes to mind   :puke:,  another is bacon wrapped chicken,  I'm not talking about draping a chicken with a few strips of bacon,  I do my pheasants that way, I'm talking about the people who use lattice work to knit a few of pounds of bacon into a full snuggy to encapsulate a chicken,  that's a  bit much.
 So when I saw Bacon Jam in your post it gave me the quizzes thinking about the fat,  kind of like pemmican made with bacon fat   :puke:,  but after reading the recipe I'm thinking that this could be good, different,  but good,  so Thanks for sharing.    :thumbsup:
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Online Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #160 on: March 17, 2014, 11:53:47 AM »

Now you Carny-a-voirs will hate me for this but here goes my vegi chili recipe, no I'm not a vegi-head but hey! ( which I'm actually making as I type )

1 med onion chopped
1 red bell pepper chopped
5 cloves garlic chopped

Throw the above in a med sized soup pot and add 3/4 cup veg stock ( you can obviously use whatever stock you have, but don't use any on the rise  ;) )  bring to a low boil and stir as its doing so  :stir: when the onions turn translucent add...

4 teaspoons chili powder and stir like crazy for 1 minute  :stir: :stir: :stir: the powder might start to stick to pot, that's o.k, just don't let it burn, then remove from heat...

add the following...

1   28 oz can chopped tomatoes or the equivalent fresh
The rest of your 4 cup box of stock
2 1/2 cups lentils, I happened to have green on hand
3 cups of water

Bring the pot to a boil and stir well then turn down to low and let simmer for 45 min, check and stir from time to time  :stir: after 45 min add...

1/4 cup chopped cilantro ( if you like ) and simmer an additional 15 min.

When you first start to cook it up it appears as tho it might turn out more like a soup, but it thickens up a lot and turns out more like the consistency of a ground beef chili...It should make about 6 good sized individual bowls

...I'm not going to pretend its BETTER than a meat based chili, but it's a pretty good alternative .... :cheers:

No offense to our plant eating members here,  and this is strictly this man's opinion,  but Zammer my friend,  you've been lied to,  that's not Chili,  it looks good and probably tastes wonderful,  but it ain't Chili,  what you got right there is a thick Tex-Mex Vegetable Soup.

While I admit that it may sound picky on my part,  Chili contains some kind of red meat,  and if one chooses they can add beans,  lentils are for soup. 

But let me add,  your soup looks good,  I make a Tex-Mex soup using your basic recipe,  where mine differs is I use either stew meat or hamburger in my recipe and I also use red kidney beans, black beans, and buckeye beans,  other than that it's about the same.
   Also,  your recipe would be a good meal for preparing in a camp setting where having fresh meat might be iffy.

Thanks for sharing your recipe,  I will be adding it to my list of good trail foods.    :thumbsup:

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #161 on: March 17, 2014, 12:09:32 PM »
Au contraire mon ami......chili has NO meat in it. :stir:      Chili CON CARNE........does! 8)

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #162 on: March 17, 2014, 12:11:30 PM »
I know its not real Chili Moe, but we can pretend just this once  ;)  from now on, only pure authentic recipes, I pinky swear  8)

Online Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #163 on: March 17, 2014, 04:24:23 PM »
Au contraire mon ami......chili has NO meat in it. :stir:      Chili CON CARNE........does! 8)

You're splitting hairs bub,  Chili over most of the country has meat in it,  the big argument is usually over bean and tomatoes,  I get your point, but I wouldn't walk into a bar in Texas or La. and claim the chili doesn't contain beef,  It might mean spending a few hours in some ER somewhere.   :)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #164 on: March 17, 2014, 05:53:50 PM »

You're splitting hairs bub,  Chili over most of the country has meat in it,  the big argument is usually over bean and tomatoes,  I get your point, but I wouldn't walk into a bar in Texas or La. and claim the chili doesn't contain beef,  It might mean spending a few hours in some ER somewhere.   :)
I never claimed it didn't, nor would I try to order any that was meatless......espec ially in Nebraska! :stir: :lol:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #165 on: March 17, 2014, 06:45:38 PM »
I subscribe to the meat too but to me real chili never has beans. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Online Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #166 on: March 18, 2014, 06:08:19 AM »
I subscribe to the meat too but to me real chili never has beans.

Thanks Stan,  that's another difference that has long been debated by Chili enthusiasts,  since this is in the recipes section and the discussion on Chili could be a long one as well as an interesting one,  I'm going to start a new thread just for Chili (which I am planning to make this morning).

Offline customfiresteels

• Mill File+
« Reply #167 on: March 22, 2014, 04:04:31 PM »
POTJIEKOS! Bread recipes

Back home we use a 3 legged round bottom cast iron pot to do this kind of cooking. I think a flat bottom ducth oven will work but cannot say if the times would be the same etc. I had my pots from home shipped here at considerable cost. The pots I am speaking of are like this.

https://www.lehmans.com/p-761-3-legged-cast-iron-kettles.aspx

Anyway here is a few recipes for you guys for bread. You will need to convert the measurements.

Mealie (corn) Surprise

60 ML butter
250 ML cake flour
500 ML milk
5 cans (410g) whole kernel corn - drained
500 ML grated cheddar cheese

Melt the butter in the pot. Add the flour and stir until mixed. Remove from the coals and gradually add the milk. Return the pot to the coals, stirring the mixture continually until it comes to a boil. Add the mealies (corn) and mix well. Sprinkle the cheese on top and cover. Simmer very gently for 1 hour 15 minutes. Do not stir, garnish with chopped parsely.

Raisin and aniseed pot bread

825 ML tepid water
5 ML white sugar
20 ML dried yeast
12 x 250 ML cake flour
30 ML salt
10 ML aniseed
cooking oil to grease the pot and your hands
250 ML seedless raisins

Dissolve the sugar in 125 ML tepid water. Stir in the yeast until dissolved. Cover the mixture with a saucer and leave to stand for approximately 10 minutes until it forms a thick froth.

Sift the flour and salt together and add the aniseed. Add the yeast mixture and enough water, little by little, to form a moist dough. Knead the dough for 10 to 15 minutes until it no longer sticks to the dish or hands. Grease the top of the dough with oil and cover with plastic cling wrap. Wrap the dish with the dough in a cloth and leave in a warm spot for about 2 hours until the dough has doubled in bulk.

Oil your hands and remove the dough from the dish. Punch down lightly and press raisins into the dough. Oil a flat or round bottomed pot and its lid. Place the dough in the pot, cover with the lid and wrap the pot in a cloth and leave to rise until the dough touches the lid.

Place the pot over the coals and cover the lid with a few coals and bake for 1 hour until an even brown. Remove the bread from the pot and wrap in a cloth.

I have many more recipes, I hope you guys enjoy these. Maybe I will post a recipe for " oxtail" soon.

I will defend my rights, GOD help those who doubt me.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #168 on: March 22, 2014, 04:19:07 PM »
I've got a 10 qt. Best Duty potjie.:stir:    Best campfire corn popper ever made. :popcorn: :popcorn:       No doubt, it's the heaviest, too! :lol: :cheers:

Offline customfiresteels

• Mill File+
« Reply #169 on: March 23, 2014, 02:35:34 PM »
Here is one of my favorites as well.

Oxtail and Banana Potjie

30 ML butter
1 large oxtail cut into joints (I have bought it already done and packaged at walmart before)
3 medium onions, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 red chilli, finely chopped or 1.2 ML chilli powder
5 whole cloves
5 ML dried mixed herbs
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper to taste
500 ML warm water
2 ripe bananas
12 whole baby potatoes
250 g whole button mushrooms
1 large tomato, skinned and sliced
5 ML chopped parsley
10 Whole button onions

Sauce

62 ML brown vinegar
20 ML catchup
20 ML chutney (apricot if you can find it)
20 ML honey
10 ML mild curry powder

Heat the butter in the pot and fry the meat for 15 minutes. Add the onions , garlic, chilli, cloves, herbs, bay leaves and salt and pepper to taste. Fry for another 15 minutes. Should the potjie become too dry, add a little hot water. Add 500 ML hot water. Cover and simmer the meat gently for 2 hours.

In the meantime, mix the gravy ingredients and set aside. Arrange the banana on top of the meat. Arrange the vegetables on top of this in order listed.  Sprinkle the parsley on top. Arrange the onions at the very top and simmer for 1 hour.

Add the gravy and simmer for a further 30 minutes.

Serve eat and enjoy ! (good for 4 to 6 people depending on portion size)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 07:08:32 PM by customfiresteels »
I will defend my rights, GOD help those who doubt me.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #170 on: April 06, 2014, 01:49:15 PM »
I can't claim credit for this, since it comes out of Miss Kay's (Duck Dynasty) cookbook. But it's just too good not to share:
I don't list proportions, because her recipe is for 6-16 servings!  Just wing it for the number of "eggs" you think you can eat.  ;D

Willie's Armadillo Eggs

Fresh jalapeno peppers, sliced length ways, seeds and veins removed
Your favorite country sausage, formed into as many patties as you have pepper halves
Softened cream cheese
Bacon slices
Melted butter (1/4 lb ought to do it)

If you're going to grill, forget the oven, otherwise pre-heat to 400 deg.

Fill each 1/2 jalapeno with cream cheese.
Mold a sausage patty around the pepper to completely enclose it.
Spiral wrap each "egg" with a strip of bacon.

Put on the grill and cook until the sausage is done, and the bacon is crisp.

In the oven, bake at 400 deg for 15-20 minutes, then turn on the broiler until the bacon is crispy.

In any case, when they'e done, drizzle with the melted butter and chow down!

Ooooh....my!  Yum!

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #171 on: April 06, 2014, 02:12:09 PM »
I'm thinking the hell with the grill or the oven for these............de ep fat fry'em!   :thumbsup:

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #172 on: April 06, 2014, 02:20:19 PM »
I'm thinking the hell with the grill or the oven for these............de ep fat fry'em!   :thumbsup:
LOL! You'd be an instant fan of the "Deep Fried Everything" TV show!  ;D  You'd probably want to toothpick the bacon so it didn't uncurl in the fat, though.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
Bacon and Cornbread
« Reply #173 on: April 18, 2014, 10:00:08 AM »
Speaking of bacon...here's a trick I just learned.

Lay a criss-cross grid of bacon strips in the bottom of your D.O. and put it over the heat. Let the bacon start sizzling while you make up your favorite cornbread recipe. Let the bacon cook just enough to grease the bottom of the pot. Pour the batter over the bacon and cook as you normally would.
When done, turn the bread out upside down, and you have a topping of nicely fried bacon on your bread.

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #174 on: April 18, 2014, 12:40:45 PM »
Sounds like another "must try."  Wife will be making some cornbread tonight to go with some speckled butter beans and ham hocks.  Won't be in a DO, of course, but it will be in CI.

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #175 on: April 18, 2014, 05:58:53 PM »
Had to give it a shot.  It was very good, but next time I'll do a few things differently:
1)  Cut the bacon just a little longer so it goes up the side of the pan just a little
2)  Cook the bacon longer before adding the batter or use thin sliced bacon (this was thick sliced bacon cooking in a 400 degree oven for about 10 minutes before adding batter)

Before the batter and before going into a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes

Just out of the oven

Flipped

Speckled butter beans with ham hocks over rice cooked in chicken stock with onions

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #176 on: April 18, 2014, 06:05:03 PM »
That actually made me salivate! :drool:

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #177 on: April 18, 2014, 06:37:51 PM »
Had to give it a shot.  It was very good, but next time I'll do a few things differently:
1)  Cut the bacon just a little longer so it goes up the side of the pan just a little
2)  Cook the bacon longer before adding the batter or use thin sliced bacon (this was thick sliced bacon cooking in a 400 degree oven for about 10 minutes before adding batter)

Before the batter and before going into a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes

Just out of the oven

Flipped

Speckled butter beans with ham hocks over rice cooked in chicken stock with onions

Thanks for trying it! Nice picture show. Yummm......

Offline jackalope10mm

• Mill File
« Reply #178 on: May 02, 2014, 03:18:38 PM »
Hi All new here been looking at the site and thought I'd share one of my recipes with you'al.
I just call it my BBQ Chicken and Rice

I take chicken white meat as much as you thank you will need to feed everyone
cut it up into small chunks (about 1/2 in square)
cut up onion to suit your self (as much as you like)
simmer the chicken and onions together until done
then I add BBQ sauce to it as much as you like (experiment with it as I like mine runnie)
while the above is simmering I put my rice on to cook.
I find that about the time the rice is cooked the chicken in the bbq sauce is about at the
right thickness to mix with the rice or on the side or like most of my family like it over
the top of the rice.

I find that a 4lb bag off chicken breast at Wal-Mart is about right to serve about 7 people
and 1 1/2 cup to 2 cups of rice fits the bill also.

Hope all who try it will like it.

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #179 on: May 02, 2014, 04:44:26 PM »
Thanks for sharing that recipe jackalope...and welcome to BnB  :cheers:

Offline ysmaellol

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #180 on: June 16, 2014, 07:25:01 PM »
Nice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #181 on: July 26, 2014, 04:35:54 PM »
Just finished some of the best Salmon Cakes with Cauliflower/Sweet Potato Puree.

The Salmon Cake Recipe.
The recipe doesn't specify, so we used Sockeye Salmon (made a half batch of this):

1-1/4 pounds of salmon after skinning (When processing the salmon it is OK to have some pieces that are larger than 1/4". It is important to avoid overprocessing the fish.

3 tablespoons plus 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
2 tablespoons mayonnaise (we used light mayo)
4 teaspoons lemon juice (we went a bit heavier on the lemon juice)
1 scallion, sliced thin
1 small shallot, minced
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Pinch of cayenne pepper
1-1/4 pounds skinless salmon fillet cut into 1 inch pieces
1/2 cup vegetable oil

1. Combine 3 tablespoons panko, parsley, mayo, lemon juice, scallion, shallot, mustard, salt, pepper, and cayenne in bowl. Working in 3 batches, pulse salmon in food processor untill coarsely chopped into 1/4 inch pieces, about 2 pulses, transferring each batch to bowl with panko mixture. Gently mix until uniformly combined.

2. Place remaining 3/4 cup panko in pie plate. Using 1/3 cup measure, scoop level amount of salmon mixture and transfer to baking sheet; repeat to make 8 cakes. Carefully coat each cake in bread crumbs, gently patting into disk measuring 2-3/4 inches in diameter and 1 inch high. Return coated cakes to baking sheet.

3. Heat oil in 12 inch skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Place salmon cakes in skillet and cook without moving until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Carefully flip cakes and cook until second side is golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer cakes to paper towel lined plate to drain 1 minute. Serve.

This recipe is from Cook's Illustrated magazine, July & August 2011. It was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #182 on: July 26, 2014, 04:48:32 PM »
That sounds great, we'll have to give that a try. I think salmon is the perfect fish, so tasty in many different recipes.

Online PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #183 on: July 26, 2014, 05:06:37 PM »
That does sound good. I haven't had a good fresh fish or crab cake in years.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #184 on: July 26, 2014, 05:11:17 PM »
We've got some King left in the freezer from my brother inlaw's last visit & we WILL make up some of that! :drool:

Offline LostViking

• Whetstone +
« Reply #185 on: July 31, 2014, 05:35:21 AM »
Artisan Bread

Bread Recipe,

Taken from the book,
Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day
By Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois

Basic Bread Recipe,

3 cups luke warm water
One and one half tablespoons granulated yeast (2 packets)
One and one half tablespoons kosher or other course salt
Six and one half cups, unsifted, unbleached, all-purpose white flour,
Measured with the scoop and sweep method
Cornmeal for pizza peel

Mix the dough
Warm the water slightly, too hot kills the yeast. I use hot tap water added to bowl. I figure it is around 100 degrees, just what the recipe calls for.
In a five quart bowl add the yeast and salt to the water. One with a lid is good, not air tight. Don't worry about getting it to dissolve
Mix in the flour-kneading is not necessary. When you measure the flour don't press it down just scoop it with the measuring cup and sweep the top level with the back of a knife. Mix with a wooden spoon. It can be done with a mixer or processor with a dough hook. For my purposes I use a spoon. If it gets too difficult to mix with the spoon, reach in with wet hands and press the mixture together. Do not knead, not necessary.
Cover with lid, (not airtight) don't use mason jars or other tight fitting lids as there is a risk of bursting. Allow the mixture to rise at room temperature until it begins to collapse on top or at least flatten. Approximately 2 hours.

That's it! The dough is ready. After it has risen, throw it in the fridge.

Actual baking,

Prepare a pizza peel by liberally sprinkling it with cornmeal.

Sprinkle the surface of your refrigerated dough with flour. Pull up and cut of a 1 pound  (grapefruit size) piece of dough using a sharp knife. Hold the dough in your hands adding enough flour so it won't stick to your hands.

Gently stretch the surface of the dough around to the bottom on all four sides. Rotating the ball a quarter turn as you go. Most of the dusting flour will fall off. The bottom of the dough will appear to be a collection of bunched ends. This will cure itself during the rising period. This entire process should only take about a minute or less.

Rest the loaf and let it rise on a pizza peel. Place it on your cornmeal covered pizza peel. Allow the loaf to rest for about forty minutes. No need to cover.

Twenty minutes before baking, preheat oven to 450F.  With a baking stone on the middle rack. Place an empty boiler tray for holding water on the any rack that won't interfere with the rising bread.

Dust and Slash,
Dust the top of the loaf liberally with flour, which will allow the slashing knife to pass without sticking. Slash a quarter inch deep, cross, scallop, or or tick-tac-toe pattern into the top, using a serrated bread knife.

Baking,
After the twenty minute preheat, slide your loaf on to the stone with a slight forward jerking action. Quickly, but carefully pour a cup of hot water into the boiler tray. (I use an old metal ice cube tray) and close the oven door to trap the steam.

Bake for about 30 minutes. Or until crust is nicely browned and firm to the touch.
Because you used wet dough, there is little risk of drying out the interior.

Allow to completely cool on a wire cooling rack.

Store the remaining dough in the fridge and use it over the next fourteen days. The flavor will improve as the dough ages. When finished, you can scrape the bits of remaining dough into the bottom of the bowl and just mix new dough in. This will give it a slight sourdough taste.

That was from the book, not word for word.

This is from me.

This is the basic "Master Recipe" it works well. The book is 242 pages long it is well worth the money. I figure i can make a loaf of bread for roughly one third the price of bread from the store.

It is scary simple, fairly fast, keeps well. You can even freeze it in one pound loaves.
This will make approximately four one pound loaves.

If you have been reading my post in this thread you should have caught on by now I am all about versatility.

This recipe works pretty well as pizza dough too. Is it New York Or Chicago pizza dough? No! But it beats the heck out of a Boboli, Red Baron, or any other store bough concoction. I have made pizza outside on the Volcano,

With a slight adjustment I make rye bread, whole wheat bread, baguettes, rolls, garlic and cheese rolls, hot dog rolls you name it.

I highly recommend this book. Again no affiliation, it just works for me.

Problems you might encounter.
Sliding the dough off the peel onto the stone seem to scare folks a bit. The bread with stick to the hot stone so try to get the part of the loaf the is toward the back of the oven to hit the rear third of the stone. You "Will" screw this up occasionally. So what even if it looks funny, it still tastes great.

You will get cornmeal in your oven. If this bothers you, there is always that loaf of wonder down at the store, maybe? On that note. i call this stuff "Man Bread" it is artisan in style and texture. It is real bread. It is about as far from wonder as you can get.

Flour and water amounts will vary slightly, depending on humidity, and altitude. Adjust as necessary. I find I bake a loaf closer to thirty-six or seven minutes. 

Folks that haven't baked much can be apprehensive. I constantly hear stuff like how do you know how to do all this stuff? It it hard? I don't know if I could do this.

It's cave man stuff people. It is stuff we knew how to do, before we knew how to do stuff.
If you have a hot rock or even a stick and a fire, you can bake. The rest is just fluff. I can make a loaf of bread that some people would pay $6.00 for in my Dutch Oven on a wood fire.

If your first loaf sucks, and it might, but I doubt it. Stick with it. Everybody makes mistakes. Just like life bad things can occur, deal with it and keep trying.

You can stop here and say it don't work.

Or persist and get here,

I ate some of those burnt suckers and you know what? If things were really bad they would have tasted real good,

Good luck, and please share your experiences here. Good or bad. I think the new folks need to see that it isn't always perfect. That none of us had perfect feather sticks the first time. That we had tarps blow away, and couldn't get a fire lit when we were young.

I think we should share our failures more so people can see, and learn. Not just go get crushed and give up.

Besides this bread just plain rocks,

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #186 on: July 31, 2014, 10:35:48 AM »
I am a fellow fan of that no-knead style of bread, too, LV. :).    Like you, I had my failures in learning to create bread in the D.O., but stubbornness has its virtues and DOES pay off when one eventually stops trying to make it 'rocket science.' :P.   In my experience, baking in the D.O. actually makes a better loaf than our oven in the kitchen at home.  If I preheat the D.O., prior to turning the doughball in for baking, I think is the real secret to success.....is that what you do, too? :shrug:

I started using this guy's methods and videos and I have posted the source before, but for those that haven't seen it and for your enjoyment, too.....

http://www.breadtopia.com/

EXCELLENT POST! :thumbsup:  I'm looking forward to more of your posts on Dutch oven related baking.  Iron pot wranglers always turn out to be the most popular people in camp at the end of the day! :hail: :stir: :banana:

Online PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #187 on: July 31, 2014, 11:06:04 AM »
Looks great LV! I love that it's a DO recipe. We might be trying that sooner rather than later.

Offline LostViking

• Whetstone +
« Reply #188 on: July 31, 2014, 11:52:28 AM »
I love my Dutch Ovens Just so versatile.

Yes I always preheat top and bottom. I have not had success with charcoal. I use wood.

In New York it seems we have to have Fire Proof Charcoal. Even the Kingsford stuff. By the time it starts to ash over, it's about out. OK for burgers and such but tough for longer cooks. Whenever possible, I use cherry or Apple for meat.

I pretty much use wood for all my outdoor cooking. It's free and it is all over my property.

The yeast rolls above were cooked in a tad of leftover bacon grease. I'll post up some picts of the meal after you guys tell me where to put them. I didn't think they should go in here.

Another use for this dough is cinnamon sweet rolls. Make them up the night before and put in the fridge. The in the morning take them out and let them warm up for about an hour then pop them in the oven.

They never seem to last long enough to get picture of.,

That bread recipie and even the book are well worth trying. For the record,mI have no dog in the fight with the authuors. Just a happy customer.

Another use for the dough. I hate store bought hotdog rolls, these work much better for me. Especially given the fact that there is cheddar cheese baked right in.

Offline LostViking

• Whetstone +
« Reply #189 on: July 31, 2014, 12:05:12 PM »
Wolfy,

The Rocket Science statement is so true.

Everybody is always making this stuff way harder than it has to be. I tell people it's caveman simple.
All you really need is wood and rocks. Wood for heat, rocks to hold the heat in. It is really all a modern oven is. Only in a more convienient less portable package.

I think everybody should know or learn how to bake bread. Prefferably in an off the grid fashion. Gas grill, dutch oven, Volcano Grill, Something.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #190 on: July 31, 2014, 12:29:07 PM »
I couldn't agree more. :cheers:    Good bread, especially out around the campfire, in a miserable situation, cures a lot of woes! :fire1:  When it's cold, wet & miserable and your sitting under a dripping tarp with friends, popping a freshly baked breadstuff out of the old Dutch oven warms the very cockles of the hearts of all present!   When that aroma permeates the air, something 'special' occurs.....ambrosia, is how I remember ol' John Jobson describing it! :drool:

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #191 on: August 01, 2014, 03:46:26 AM »
Last night's dinner was baked sockeye salmon seasoned with Chef Paul Prudhomme's Magic Salmon Seasoning, Cauliflower steaks with roasted red pepper sauce, leek - green pea and potato soup and fresh garden tomatoes.

Soup recipe

1 pound leeks, white part only, quartered lenthwise, sliced crosswise and washed well
2 (12 ounces) potatoes, peeled, quartered and sliced thin
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
5 cups chicken broth
2 cups frozen green peas
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced, plus parsley leaves for garnish
2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, chopped, or a pinch of dried, crumbled
salt and pepper to taste

In a large saucepan cook the leeks and the potato in the butter over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, untill the vegetables are softened and add the broth.  Bring the liquid to a boil and simmer the mixture, covevered, for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the potato is very soft.  Stir in the peas, parsley and mint, season the soup with salt and pepper to taste and simmer for 5 minutes.  Puree the mixture in a blender or food processor until smooth.  Garnish with parsley and serve.

Cauliflower Steaks With Roasted Red Pepper Sauce Recipe

1 cup drained, bottled roasted red sweet peppers
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 clove garlic, sliced
1 large head cauliflower, with leaves removed
chopped green and or black olives (we used both)
cracked pepper

1.  In a blender or food processor blend or process red peppers, 1 tablespoon of the oil, vinegar and garlic until smooth.  Set aside
2.  Preheat oven to 400.  Place cauliflower, core side down, on a cutting board.  Beginning at the center, cut the cauliflower into four 3/4" thick slices.  Save remaining cauliflower for another use.
3.  In a 12" skillet heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat.  Add 2 of the cauliflower steaks.  Cook 3 minutes per side or until browned.  Transfer to a parchment paper lined 15x10x1 inch baking pan.  Repeat with remaining 1 tablespoon oil and cauliflower steaks.
4.  Roast, uncovered for 15 minute or until tender.  Serve cauliflower steakswith red pepper sauce and sprinkle with chopped olives.

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #192 on: August 03, 2014, 05:55:31 AM »
Sounds like some good eats Crash & LV...thanks for adding those

Wolfy my boy, for an o'le grizzled Farmer, you sure have a way with words... you can make anything sound good  :cheers:

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #193 on: December 22, 2014, 09:31:22 AM »
Went thru all 4 pg's of this thread and surprisingly I could not find a Beef Stew recipe. Now I'll admit that most folks probably have their own version but I'll add mine to this thread just so we have it covered, while I did add the pics in the "what did you have for dinner thread" I'll put it all together here.

I've been on a cooking in enameled cast-iron binge lately, for this recipe I used a 3qt D.O on the stove top, or as the Brits like to call it, the Hob. 8)

Good o'le slice of butter ( use your fat of choice ) I happened to have butter...Mooooo, heat butter to low med...
Cut up Beef to size you prefer...
In a bag, throw in a bit of flour and season the way you like, I used some ox-tail seasoning spice...
Toss beef in the bag and get it all coated...
Brown off meat in batches, I had around a 1lb of beef and it took two batches in this 3qt D.O, then put beef aside in a bowl...
Saute your onions ( 1 med sized ) and garlic ( 4 cloves ) in the D.O, then add your celery ( 3 stalks ) ...
Add your Beef back into the D.O and give everything a good stir...
Add your stock, I used Beef stock to just under level of contents...
Add your carrots ( 2 small )
Add potatoes ( 4 med ) and stir... plug in a kettle as you will need some warmed up water...
You don't need to boil the water you just want it warmed up a bit, everything I've read so far says to never add cold water to a hot enameled D.O, fill to just under potato level....
Now, turn the heat down to low and put the lid on. You want to cook this low and slow, After 20 min give it a stir and if necessary adjust the heat, you just want a little bubbling action, and with the lid on and set to low you should get it....
Cook for approx 2hrs, enjoy  :drool:

Online PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #194 on: December 22, 2014, 10:23:30 AM »
That looks like a great meal for a cold day Zammer! :thumbsup:

I love beef stew and it is nice to have a recipe in here.

Offline Alnamvet68

• Mill File+
Re: Just Recipes - The Holy Trilogy
« Reply #195 on: February 13, 2015, 05:41:46 PM »
The Holy Trilogy Sandwich

A tasty sandwich with roast pork, ham, bacon, Swiss cheese, pickles and mustard.

Servings: 1

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients
2 slices of thick sour dough bread
1 tablespoon mustard
2 slices of swiss cheese
2 slices roast pork
2 slices ham, cooked
4 slices of thick bacon
2-4 slices pickle

Directions
1. Assemble the sandwich and grill in a panini press over medium heat until golden brown, about 2-4 minutes per side. Plate with a side of potato chips.
2. Serve with a tall Mojito or your favorite brew.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 05:59:40 PM by Alnamvet68 »
If you can read this, thank a teacher; if it's in English, thank a soldier.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #196 on: February 13, 2015, 05:47:13 PM »
THAT sounds delicious! :thumbsup: :drool:
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 06:24:16 PM by wolfy »

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #197 on: February 13, 2015, 05:51:40 PM »
That looks great, like a Cuban on steroid's, yummy.

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #198 on: February 13, 2015, 05:52:46 PM »
That looks like a great meal for a cold day Zammer! :thumbsup:

I love beef stew and it is nice to have a recipe in here.

Thanks Pdubs, it's a winter staple

Alnamvet68.... nice sammich man! thanks for adding to our humble little recipe thread, and welcome to BnB  :cheers:

Offline Alnamvet68

• Mill File+
« Reply #199 on: February 13, 2015, 06:02:03 PM »
That looks great, like a Cuban on steroid's, yummy.

Yes, it's similar, but for a real Cuban sandwich, one has to have access to that fantastic Cuban bread that one has to eat the same day, and for that, you have to live in Metro Dade, Palm Beach county of Broward county. :'(
If you can read this, thank a teacher; if it's in English, thank a soldier.