Author Topic: ALL THINGS SMOKED & BBQ THREAD  (Read 69847 times)

Online Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Re: ALL THINGS SMOKED & BBQ THREAD
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2012, 09:50:07 PM »
Your killin me I was going to cook a Brisket today then my Tractor was ailing so I been slinging wrenches the better part of the day Oh well tomorrow is another day.

That's what I'll be doing tomorrow,  I'm trying something different to see if it'll work as good as I think it will.
  I've been cleaning up in my basement this week trying to find camping stuff that I haven't used since we were car camping when the kids were still at home,  so far I've found a coleman lantern I'd forgot about,  I put a pump kit in it and cleaned it out,  the check valve was stuck,  but a little Carb cleaner and some break free got it working,  after a couple of new mantles and fresh fuel it fired up just fine and I let it burn for about four hours.
  I found Plumb double bit that's almost like new that I bought in the late seventies,  the edge is a bit bunged up where the kids were chopping granite (looks like) but it'll dress up fine.
  OK, for the Brisket part,  I also found an old Coleman folding camp oven,  so I opened it up and gave it a good cleaning,  and put the rack in,  it struck me that if I put it over a good bed of coals on my drum grill,  put a tray of apple wood on the floor of the oven,  and the brisket on the top rack,  then as soon as the smoke starts to show i'll move the oven a bit to get about 250 degrees on the temp gage and mop it with marinade occasionally, I may end up with a good smoked slow roasted brisket.
  It won't replace my side drum smoker of course,  but it does open up some new options for week ends at the camp ground with the wife,  if it works.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Smokewalker

• Whetstone +
  • Between the sweet grass & the packing house
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2012, 09:53:43 PM »
Sounds like a plan Moe. OH the brisket is resting in the cooler Onns snitc a piece before Bedding down :D
"Theres allot of learnin under this hat son." "Boy use what ya kin see and quit tryin a see what ya kin use." Grand pa Jesse- A real Cowboy

Online Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2012, 09:59:12 PM »
Sounds like a plan Moe. OH the brisket is resting in the cooler Onns snitc a piece before Bedding down :D

Makes good cold sandwiches,  a little salt, pepper, and a dollop of Dejon on buttered bread.

Offline Smokewalker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2012, 10:02:00 PM »
Smoke, do you use a chimney starter to light Big Jim?  Just trying to think of whatelse I'm going to need as I start building my UDS.
Yeah I turn it bottom up fill the little area it with some cheap briquettes and hit them with a weed torch for about a minute. dump those on top of a full basket of lump with 8-10 chunks of wood mixed in. let it sit for about 10 minutes drop it gently into the drum. open all the intakes and the exhaust when the temp gets to 180 I close one intake at 200 I lose the second one it usually settels in at 230-250 fine tune your temp with the ball valve
"Theres allot of learnin under this hat son." "Boy use what ya kin see and quit tryin a see what ya kin use." Grand pa Jesse- A real Cowboy

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2012, 12:35:49 AM »
Smoke, do you use a chimney starter to light Big Jim?  Just trying to think of whatelse I'm going to need as I start building my UDS.
FWIW, my first "chimney" for starting briquettes was a 3 pound coffee can with holes cut around the bottom with a church key....
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline Smokewalker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2012, 10:08:45 AM »
This is a good primer for beginners chocked full of good info and sums up my point of view for BBQ.

Offline Tobit

• Whetstone +
  • Bipolar Bear
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2012, 06:17:25 PM »
"shut up dawg"  LOL, thanks Smoke.  My UDS should be finished on Wednesday.. just in time to practice with it over the weekend before the big BBQ I have to host on the 21st.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy!

Offline Tobit

• Whetstone +
  • Bipolar Bear
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2012, 05:17:56 PM »
My UDS is finally coming to fruition.  Still need to tweak a few things, especially the top venting.  I hope to be smoking in it by the weekend though.

Offline Smokewalker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2012, 05:36:01 PM »
your gonna be very happy now get it dirty. Just to let you know the thermo on the side will read 40-50 deg lower than the absolute center over the fire. So adj the temp accordingly.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2012, 06:21:54 PM »
your gonna be very happy now get it dirty. Just to let you know the thermo on the side will read 40-50 deg lower than the absolute center over the fire. So adj the temp accordingly.
So would it make more sense to have the thermo near the center of the lid?
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline Tobit

• Whetstone +
  • Bipolar Bear
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2012, 06:30:48 PM »
From what I have been reading on various UDS threads, the temperatures vary throughout the drum but once you learn how your individual drum responds, it really isn't much of an issue.  I will be adding a wireless unit some place though.  Not sure where just yet.

Offline Smokewalker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2012, 07:26:31 PM »
NO! heat rises I could care less what the temp is near the lid I want to know the temp at the level where the food is, 250 at the lid might only be 185 at the grate. This type of smoker is very fuel efficient mine will hold 250 for 20 hrs on 8 lbs of lump charcoal. Since you have a small fire mass in the middle that column of heat is 40 - 50 deg hotter than it is 3" from the outside edge where the thermo-couple is located. I was letting him know that since he has never cooked on  UDS before. I have seen some folks burn up some nice meat intending to cook at 250 and really be cooking at 300+.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 07:28:13 PM by Smokewalker »

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2012, 08:05:01 PM »
.... that column of heat is 40 - 50 deg hotter than it is 3" from the outside edge where the thermo-couple is located. I was letting him know that since he has never cooked on  UDS before. I have seen some folks burn up some nice meat intending to cook at 250 and really be cooking at 300+.
My Brinkman is the same way. The thermometer is outside, center.  I've used an oven thermometer often, because the exterior one seems to be all over the place...specially if it's facing a stiff breeze.

Online Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2012, 09:55:52 PM »
.... that column of heat is 40 - 50 deg hotter than it is 3" from the outside edge where the thermo-couple is located. I was letting him know that since he has never cooked on  UDS before. I have seen some folks burn up some nice meat intending to cook at 250 and really be cooking at 300+.
My Brinkman is the same way. The thermometer is outside, center.  I've used an oven thermometer often, because the exterior one seems to be all over the place...specially if it's facing a stiff breeze.

My Brinkman is the side box smoker type with the chimney on the right hand side and the temp gauge in the center above the handle,  and the temp gauge is the only thing I don't like about it,  I told myself after the first couple of times I used it that I have to replace it with a new one and put it over by the chimney end of the unit,  that was father's day 1990,  maybe this year.   :)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2012, 10:07:18 PM »
My Brinkman is an older bullet like this......

« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 10:06:50 AM by Old Philosopher »

Offline Tobit

• Whetstone +
  • Bipolar Bear
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2012, 07:29:48 AM »
Smokewalker - On my UDS, I currently only have two top vents.   Will these two be adequate, should I just experiment with these two first?  I see some people go crazy and add upwards of 8 top vents. 

I'm going to do a seasoning burn on Friday and do a first smoke of some chicken breasts on Saturday.

Offline Smokewalker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2012, 09:20:20 AM »
Smokewalker - On my UDS, I currently only have two top vents.   Will these two be adequate, should I just experiment with these two first?  I see some people go crazy and add upwards of 8 top vents. 

I'm going to do a seasoning burn on Friday and do a first smoke of some chicken breasts on Saturday.
Looking at the pics you posted your in good shape all you need to use is the 2" bung for the exhaust. 

Offline Tobit

• Whetstone +
  • Bipolar Bear
« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2012, 08:02:27 AM »
Oh man, I made some awesome chicken breasts in the UDS last night.. my first smoke with the new UDS.  Sorry, no pix.

I started with four bone-in USDA natural certified chicken breast.  Soaked them for 24 hours in buttermilk, finely chopped onion, salt, pepper, a touch of cumin.  On the UDS the next day for 3 hours at 240F degrees with a few apple and cherry chunks and regular Kingsford briquettes.  I left them alone for the first 2 hours but for the last hour, I applied just a little bit of store bought honey BBQ sauce as my parents prefer a saucy chicken breast when cooked outside. At the end, the meat pulled from the bone super easy and was very moist and tender with the skin fully rendered and just the right amount of smoke flavor.

I am very pleased with the UDS so far.  This coming Saturday will be the big test though as I have 10 to 15 people to BBQ for and I will be running the smoker for a good 9 hours.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2012, 08:44:26 AM »
I have not posted here yet, But this is a great thread!
:D

I have been using smokers for some time, & worn out a few of the cylinder type ones over the years. Altho, I prefer the side-mount firebox/barrel ones.

Eventually I will pipe in here & show some pics of what I use & such. But I would like to say "Thnx!" to all who have been posting here & I am looking forward to sharing some of my methods & tips. As well as learning some new ones from you all!
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2012, 11:15:59 AM »
I have the Smokey Mountain Vertical smoker.    I wanted one that I could hang links and sausages and beef chunks for dried beef.     So far my favorite thing to smoke is Country Style ribs.     

I want to learn more on smoking fish and sausage/link/weiners.  And the dried Beef. ( not the jerky kind.. the chunk kind you slice thin for sandwiches/crackers.)  Chipped beef ?

WW. 

On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Smokewalker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2012, 08:47:23 AM »
Oh man, I made some awesome chicken breasts in the UDS last night.. my first smoke with the new UDS.  Sorry, no pix.

I started with four bone-in USDA natural certified chicken breast.  Soaked them for 24 hours in buttermilk, finely chopped onion, salt, pepper, a touch of cumin.  On the UDS the next day for 3 hours at 240F degrees with a few apple and cherry chunks and regular Kingsford briquettes.  I left them alone for the first 2 hours but for the last hour, I applied just a little bit of store bought honey BBQ sauce as my parents prefer a saucy chicken breast when cooked outside. At the end, the meat pulled from the bone super easy and was very moist and tender with the skin fully rendered and just the right amount of smoke flavor.

I am very pleased with the UDS so far.  This coming Saturday will be the big test though as I have 10 to 15 people to BBQ for and I will be running the smoker for a good 9 hours.
Ahhhh another convert :) The chicken sounds very tasty Tobit, If you stop using Briquettes Especially Kingsford and switch to a natural Lump Charcoal the Flavor of your end product will be much improved. this is from WIKI
Code: [Select]
Kingsford Charcoal is made from charred softwoods, pine, spruce etc. then mixed with ground coal and other ingredients to make a charcoal briquette. As of August 2000, Kingsford Charcoal contains the following ingredients[1]:

Wood char
    Mineral char
    Mineral carbon
    Limestone
    Starch
    Borax
    Sodium nitrate
    Sawdust
That is why it leaves behind so much ash, Natural Lump is just charred wood, it burns Hotter, Cleaner & Longer and produces far less ash to choke out your fire on a long cook. I Use Royal Oak  Lump in the UDS and my Weber kettle with great success, There is a big difference I can taste the Coal in the food when it is cooked over briquettes of any brand. 

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2012, 09:13:27 AM »
Natural Lump is just charred wood, it burns Hotter, Cleaner & Longer and produces far less ash to choke out your fire on a long cook. I Use Royal Oak  Lump in the UDS and my Weber kettle with great success, There is a big difference

I agree! +1 on that Lump charcoal.
If ya want you can make your on. Much like making charred cloth & punkwood. Just need a larger container to make it in.
;)

Try it once & ya likely won't go back.
:)
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2012, 09:19:14 AM »
Someone elsewhere posted a very comprehensive thread on making charcoal with a 55 gal drum burn barrel. I wish they'd re-post it here.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2012, 09:23:15 AM »
There is a great video on it on youtube that I watched once. USing a 55 gal drum...

I use a Steel Milk can. I think it's around 8 gal. can't remember..
Anhuesers' again. I will try to remember to look when I walk past it for about the zillionth time ,sometime today.
 ;)

Offline Tobit

• Whetstone +
  • Bipolar Bear
« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2012, 10:45:26 AM »
If you stop using Briquettes Especially Kingsford and switch to a natural Lump Charcoal the Flavor of your end product will be much improved.
Yeah, I'm going to try lump charcoal this weekend.  I just had a bunch of briquettes on hand from last year I wanted to use for my first smoke.

Right now, I just put some beef ribs on the gas grill with some hickory and cherry in a pan.  Didn't make much sense to fire up the UDS for only four beef ribs.  We'll see how this experiment works.  Pic coming up in a little bit.

Offline Tobit

• Whetstone +
  • Bipolar Bear
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2012, 11:03:10 AM »
Afternoon BBQ'in...

First, my ghetto..

Playing around on the gas grill with some beef ribs, not ideal at all with minimal smoke as I am using hickory and cherry mojobricks in water.  After they have been here for a few hours, I'll sear them on the gas grill and they will be edible however.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2012, 11:48:06 AM »
Yum!
Just a suggestion...
Put those wood chips/shavings in the pan dry, cover the pan tightly with foil and poke holes a half dozen times with a table fork. Kinda like making char cloth, or charcoal, and the smoke will get to your meat.

Offline Tobit

• Whetstone +
  • Bipolar Bear
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2012, 11:52:26 AM »
Put those wood chips/shavings in the pan dry, cover the pan tightly with foil and poke holes a half dozen times with a table fork. Kinda like making char cloth, or charcoal, and the smoke will get to your meat.
Yeah, I just went and checked on it and the water had boiled away and it was smoking nicely.  It smelled awesome when I opened the lid.  Temp is holding nicely at around 240F.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2012, 12:36:09 PM »
Yeah, I just went and checked on it and the water had boiled away and it was smoking nicely.  It smelled awesome when I opened the lid.  Temp is holding nicely at around 240F.
Great!!!! 

Offline Smokewalker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2012, 01:10:02 PM »
Nice man kitchen Tobit, Like OP suggested make a packet for your wood. Remember wet wood don't smoke it give off steam. What time are we eating to day, should I bring something beside a voracious appetite? :taunt:

Offline Tobit

• Whetstone +
  • Bipolar Bear
« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2012, 02:30:52 PM »
Ribs are ready, where are you?

Offline Smokewalker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2012, 04:16:15 PM »
Did you hear that ?? Wait there it is again it's my stomach growling :D. I wish I could find dino bones with meat on them like that :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 07:28:25 PM by Smokewalker »

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2012, 04:16:37 PM »
Good grief.......you didn't make enough >:(
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Tobit

• Whetstone +
  • Bipolar Bear
« Reply #83 on: April 19, 2012, 09:44:45 AM »
Here is what I have been working on this morning,  getting the ribs ready for Saturday.  Trimmed them a bit, but saving them to smoke along side the ribs so  the chef, moi, has something to nom while tending to the smokers and grills.  Applied my variation of a memphis rub and wrapped them up.  They will chill in the fridge til Saturday morning.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #84 on: April 19, 2012, 09:55:53 AM »
Tobit,
Looks good & you are making me HUNGRY!

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2012, 10:35:07 AM »
Lets see now...if we all pack up and leave today..we should be at Tobits house by Saturday....right?    :)   

You post pictures like that.. and stomachs around the world growl..... how amazing is that?  LOL

WW.   
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Smokewalker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #86 on: April 19, 2012, 01:42:05 PM »
Tobit I do the same with my trimins if I don't smoke them up with a little S&P to use in my beans. MD Throw back is Da Bomb!!

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #87 on: April 22, 2012, 08:58:08 AM »
We decided we were hungry for steak last evening, about an hour before dinner time.  :P
Rib steaks were on sale, so momma started some hashbrowns while I made a quick store run.
My standard seasonings are fresh cracked black pepper, dry granulated garlic, and Johnny's Seasoning Salt.
I gave the steaks a liberal coating of all three and threw them on the "flame-fed microwave" on the patio.
I like to sear them, and then turn the temp down as low as possible to crisp up the fat without burning it. Shame on me, I didn't even bother with the smoking pellets this time.....
(To give you an idea of the size of those steaks, that BBQ will hold 18 burger patties, and these steaks took up half the grill.)

Bon apatite!

« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 09:00:36 AM by Old Philosopher »

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #88 on: April 22, 2012, 09:44:59 AM »

I just don't understand OP, every time I come into this topic, I get hungry...??
;)

Those "were" some good looking steaks... I'd bet..

--------------------------------------------------------------I also have taken a pic of our Smokers, but I think this pic goes in a different topic. I just have to find it..    It now seems I have found it again..
 ;)

The barrel smoker is the newest at 5 years old. the other canister smokers go back at least 10-15 years. As you can see I save parts from the older ones, so I can "stack" them when needed. I have wore out a few of those canister styles over the past 25 years or so. I really like the barrel, but I use the canisters for whole turkeys, ducks, geese, & fish. The barrel I use for  yardbird & meats like beef/pork/venison,etc.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #89 on: April 22, 2012, 09:51:14 AM »
LOL! Like someone else said, I love seeing gear that actually looks USED! You definitely have some miles on those uprights! I promised mine it would see some action this year.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #90 on: April 22, 2012, 10:01:34 AM »
Looking at MnSports smokers..     that rust that starts on those appliances, is there any way of getting rid of that?  And if so..  anything out there to put on this metal to prevent this rusting from happening again? 

My grill and smoker are doing this and I'd like to stop it if possible..

Will Armoro-all work?

WW.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #91 on: April 22, 2012, 10:10:03 AM »
Well, they have been used quite bit in the past, but not for a few months. I hurt my wrist last Dec, & It wasn't until late Feb12 that I could do much with my right hand as far as dexterity/lifting things. So they had to sit. Now is the time to fire them up again. My Turkey season is upon me soon, so hoping that a Tom will be in one of those cans. & I need to smoke some ribs for the summer. ( I smoke them, & then store until I need to finish them sometimes later. 6-8 racks at a time. Since I am frugal & get a bunch when on sale. ;) )

I think I should get a few more years out of them.
;)
Could use a bit of heat paint, but the stuff eventually flakes/burns off... so kinda a waste of time...
LOL

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #92 on: April 22, 2012, 10:19:52 AM »
When does Turkey season open up?   I've been seeing turkeys all over the place lately..    :)

My grill is a mix of textured grey metal and stainless steel.   The bar in front is the textured metal and its getting that rusty hue to it.     

I have a vertical smoker and the top is getting that rusty film on it too. 

I wonder....   would it work to scrub it with bar keepers friend, whipe clean and coat with a veggie oil?  The heat would just carbonize it like a wok...right?    Mmm....   

WW.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #93 on: April 22, 2012, 10:26:32 AM »
When does Turkey season open up?   I've been seeing turkeys all over the place lately..    :)
It opened here in Minnesota last Wednesday. You are seeing a lot since it is there mating season & the Toms are strutting for the hens. It is much like the "rut" as Deer season opens, & people seem to complain that they are all over , because they are hitting them ith their vehicles.
My grill is a mix of textured grey metal and stainless steel.   The bar in front is the textured metal and its getting that rusty hue to it.     

I wonder....   would it work to scrub it with bar keepers friend, whipe clean and coat with a veggie oil?  The heat would just carbonize it like a wok...right?    Mmm....
I will have to defer to others here on what might work. I just kinda gave up. I don't worry so much about "pretty", I worry about hat is inside. ;) After so long now, my smokers' insides are so coated that , sometimes I wonder if That coating is what keeps them around for so long before they "burn thru". LOL
;)   

WW.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #94 on: April 22, 2012, 11:05:57 AM »
Mm.. I better git to smoking more things then.  I dont have that extra layer inside yet...  :)   Preventive medicine I'd say.   

I was raising bronze breasted turkeys here about 10 years ago.  A group of four males flew the coop. :(  Now I notice alot of the wild ones around have that extra bronze on thier feathers.    One neighbor was saying the birds in this area are alot more meatier.....  heh heh....   

Good luck with the hunt.  I hope you get a young un!  :)

WW.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #95 on: April 22, 2012, 11:16:25 AM »
My suggestion: Remove the rust with something like Naval Jelly, and a lot of elbow grease and/or sanding. Get down to bare metal where ever there is rust. Get the high temperature BBQ paint (1500oF+) and repaint them.

Offline Smokewalker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #96 on: April 22, 2012, 11:20:13 AM »

WW.
Scuff off the external rust with a scrotchpad get the smoker hot and spray it down with Pam when it stops smoking turn off the heat and let it cool down. At the end of every cook repeat the process it will season it like CI.  That is what I do and mine looks like New on the outside with a an aroma that make me hungry every time I walk by  :P
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 11:57:03 AM by Smokewalker »

Online Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #97 on: April 22, 2012, 11:52:56 AM »
Looking at MnSports smokers..     that rust that starts on those appliances, is there any way of getting rid of that?  And if so..  anything out there to put on this metal to prevent this rusting from happening again? 

My grill and smoker are doing this and I'd like to stop it if possible..

Will Armoro-all work?

WW.

OP and Smoke are both right,  my prized side smoker Brinkman gets a coat of Pam on the inside at the begining of each season and every two years I brush the rust off the bottom of both the small and large drums and give the whole grill/smoker a fresh coat of Rustolium grill paint.
  The unit has a lot of years on it now and is as good as new,  the only repairs I've done to it since new is replace the wood handles and front tray.

Another thing I did a few years ago is to invest $12.00 bucks in four baking pans,  I then used a .22RF. to blast a bunch of holes in the bottom for air circulation,  and use them as  charcoal pans which I place on the bottom grate,  it allows me more control over the coals and keeps the ash off the bottom of the grill which is a huge cause of rust eating through the bottom of the grill,  plus it's a bunch easier cleaning away the ash,  three pans cover the large drum and one works well for the side smoker grill.

I bought the smoker at Kay Mart on a end of the season sale for $75.00 assembled,  the newer ones are not a heavy duty and sell for $200.00 or more,  so it's worth the effort to keep it up.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #98 on: April 22, 2012, 01:04:32 PM »
My smoker came with a square cast iron thing for putting the wood chips in.   I used to always soak the chips..but now I'm going to try smokewalkers way of using just dried.  The container is six inches square if I had to guess.  And its showing rusting at the bottom of it.    If I had been thinking when I first got it..the seasoning like you do pans would have been a smart thing.

But you gave me an idea. :)   When out metal detecting I dug up a cast iron fry pan with no handle.   I think that would work too for holding wood chips.  A bigger area for them to be in instead of this six inch container. 

I suppose since I've used my smoker now.. spraying the inside with pam is a little to late?   And the rusting is just a haze on the outside right now.. I'd like to get ahead of it. And know how to maintain it from now on.

Thanks guys.    Its good to know my way of thinking on 'seasoning' wasnt toooo far off.  :)

WW.

Online Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #99 on: April 22, 2012, 02:03:07 PM »
My smoker came with a square cast iron thing for putting the wood chips in.   I used to always soak the chips..but now I'm going to try smokewalkers way of using just dried.  The container is six inches square if I had to guess.  And its showing rusting at the bottom of it.    If I had been thinking when I first got it..the seasoning like you do pans would have been a smart thing.

But you gave me an idea. :)   When out metal detecting I dug up a cast iron fry pan with no handle.   I think that would work too for holding wood chips.  A bigger area for them to be in instead of this six inch container. 

I suppose since I've used my smoker now.. spraying the inside with pam is a little to late?   And the rusting is just a haze on the outside right now.. I'd like to get ahead of it. And know how to maintain it from now on.

Thanks guys.    Its good to know my way of thinking on 'seasoning' wasnt toooo far off.  :)

WW.

Not at all,  it's never too late to spray the insides,  just wipe it down or brush it and spray the heck out of it,  then get it hot and let the smoke burn off,  as for the rust on the outside,  wire brush it,  and use any brand name high heat grill paint on it,  but let it cure for at least a day before heating it up or it may turn grey on you.
 And you don't have to use Pam,  any off brand cooking spray from the dollar or discount store will work ok,  same with the paint.

You might want to do your painting first,  otherwise,  if you get cooking spray on the outside surfaces the paint might not stick well in some areas.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 02:06:40 PM by Moe M. »