Author Topic: What is your favorite production Knife?  (Read 83320 times)

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
Re: What is your favorite production Knife?
« Reply #200 on: November 08, 2014, 07:43:02 PM »
I looked for your thread when I ordered mine but didn't find it. Took my 49 out today but I was looking for deer so it didn't see much use. Mine was very dull when I got it. I convexed the edge now it's good to go. Other then removing the top guard for now that's all I have done. I think I will thin the edge close to the handle so I can carve with it better.it's still a little thick.
Maybe I could find it... If I do, I'll bump it for you.

Good luck deer hunting.

KK
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #201 on: November 08, 2014, 08:05:15 PM »
I looked for your thread when I ordered mine but didn't find it. Took my 49 out today but I was looking for deer so it didn't see much use. Mine was very dull when I got it. I convexed the edge now it's good to go. Other then removing the top guard for now that's all I have done. I think I will thin the edge close to the handle so I can carve with it better.it's still a little thick.
I found it: http://bladesandbushlore.com/index.php?topic=7716.msg142285#msg142285

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #202 on: November 08, 2014, 08:40:57 PM »
Thanks for the link. I just re-read the thread. Mine had the same bad edge. At 8.5" my sheath fits but the Velcro is a cheap.
What a great day to be outside.

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #203 on: November 08, 2014, 09:09:00 PM »
No prob. Glad to hear your case fits. Velcro on a sheath sucks, doesn't it? Can you slap a snap on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Graphyfotoz

• Mill File+
« Reply #204 on: November 30, 2014, 09:39:25 PM »
For a little over a year now I've been running the gamut of all different knives in the 4-6in category.
Trading em and slling them to get to my Grail Knife
Ummm lets see if I can remember em all.....
Becker BK2
Esee 4,5 and 6
Condor Bushlore
TOPS B.O.B
Benchmade Bushcrafter 162

Traded and sold my way to my Holy Grail

Busse Swamprat Ratmandu INFI (INFIdu) with Azwelke Pancake Sheath
For a backup
Busse SwampRat Rodent 4 also with Azwelke Pancake Sheath

So out of all those I hafta say the Ratmandu is my fav of them all.
Swamprat Rodent 4 is #2

But of the others I mentioned....the ones I liked best....
TOPS B.O.B and the Benchmade 162 felt best in hand and were well made!!

« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 12:16:16 AM by Graphyfotoz »
Stuff = Vanquest Trident 20 + Lotsa Max Acc | Fenix Lights | Nitecore lights | G-Shock Rangeman
    My Knives: Busse SwampRat INFIDU G/B G10 | Busse SwampRat Rodent 4

Offline Graphyfotoz

• Mill File+
Re: What is your favorite production Knife??????
« Reply #205 on: December 01, 2014, 12:18:56 AM »
My current favorite... TOPS B.O.B. Fieldcraft, with a couple homemade waterproof match/fire-starters.  (Strike anywhere kitchen match, wrapped in toilet paper, dipped in paraffin wax.)

I had that one for awhile....Green G10 version.....sweet lil blade.
Handle fit the hand nicely....only thing was it was a lil heavy for it's size.

Stuff = Vanquest Trident 20 + Lotsa Max Acc | Fenix Lights | Nitecore lights | G-Shock Rangeman

Offline Pennsylvania Mike

• Whetstone +
« Reply #206 on: December 01, 2014, 08:09:48 AM »
Nice looking knives Graghyfotoz, I like them all.   One I always carry is a cheap Mora black and green, the carbon steel around home in PA, the stainless version in Virginia so I don?t have to worry about corrosion, I do have other knives but those two are the ones I carry most of the times.   Loose them or brake them, cheap to replace.
Prepared for the worse, hope for the best.

Offline Graphyfotoz

• Mill File+
« Reply #207 on: December 15, 2014, 03:57:17 AM »
Nice looking knives Graghyfotoz, I like them all.   One I always carry is a cheap Mora black and green, the carbon steel around home in PA, the stainless version in Virginia so I don?t have to worry about corrosion, I do have other knives but those two are the ones I carry most of the times.   Loose them or brake them, cheap to replace.

Offline Squall

• Mill File+
  • The book was better.
« Reply #208 on: December 27, 2014, 01:36:39 PM »
This is the family, such as it is.  Along with a few folders that arn't pictured.  A week ago I would have said the TOPS B.O.B. Fieldcraft was my favorite, but I've been quite taken with the Mora the last few days so it's hard to say now.

Edit: To fix the image...can't seem to rotate it without distorting it...
Just a backyard bushcrafting neophyte.

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #209 on: February 19, 2015, 06:36:59 PM »
Got a 14 last month.

Pimped it a little with a clipped point some jimpping & home made My-Carta.

Offline arngmechanic

• Whetstone +
« Reply #210 on: March 12, 2015, 10:37:37 AM »
I really like my bear grylls paracord

Offline NewEnglandBushcraft

• Whetstone +
« Reply #211 on: March 15, 2015, 03:00:40 PM »
My current fav is the Martiini Arctic Circle...

You don't need to spend a lot of $$$ on a good puukko - Martiinis are excellent quality for their price. ;)
"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." ~ Abraham Lincoln
My blog, https://newenglandbushcraft.wordpress.com/

Offline Boris74

• Whetstone
« Reply #212 on: April 11, 2015, 12:50:32 PM »

Hultafors craftsman. Was a fraction of the price of my kellam puukko and the blade is 10x better. Great knife for the price and a little beefier than a Mora. It does 90% of all my woods work now including game. Has a nice patina on it now.

I got my oldest the safety version with a blunt tip and he has batoned so much wood with it. Tough little blades for the money.

Used my Glock knife for everything for more than a decade before I got this little gem so it gets an honorable mention lol.

Offline norknife

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #213 on: October 18, 2015, 03:28:36 PM »
Hi there,
My current(!) favorite is

Enzo Camper
Nice review found here: http://www.workwearcanada.com/reviews/detail.cfm?review=26

Another one is J-P Peltonen - M07 Ranger knife . (I also have the M95, has slightly longer blade)
Nice review found here:http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/802112-J-P-Peltonen-Ranger-knife-m-07

Also have and like the Helle Temagami.http://www.helle.no/products/knives/temagami/  (semi-full-tang, mentioned by several others here)

Currently on my wish-list is the Helle Utvaer http://www.helle.no/products/knives/utvaer/ and the Helle Didi-Galgalu http://www.helle.no/products/knives/didi-galgalu/, both full-tang knives.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 03:34:21 PM by norknife »

Offline norknife

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #214 on: October 27, 2015, 05:05:53 PM »
Enzo Camper
Nice review found here: http://www.workwearcanada.com/reviews/detail.cfm?review=26

Another one is J-P Peltonen - M07 Ranger knife . (I also have the M95, has slightly longer blade)
Nice review found here:http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/802112-J-P-Peltonen-Ranger-knife-m-07

Also have and like the Helle Temagami.http://www.helle.no/products/knives/temagami/  (semi-full-tang, mentioned by several others here)

Currently on my wish-list is the Helle Utvaer http://www.helle.no/products/knives/utvaer/ and the Helle Didi-Galgalu http://www.helle.no/products/knives/didi-galgalu/, both full-tang knives.

Striking Helle Utvaer from my wish-list. Got one in the mail today, but sent it back. Handle to small for my size 10/11 hands.

Adding another favorite: I was not a big fan of the concept of "neck knives"... until i found "Sweet K.I.S.S." designed for CRKT by Ed Halligan
http://www.crkt.com/sweet-kiss-neck-knife-2356  see also : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBFrdBfPjEU

Slim and light but solid full-tang knife that I use both as  an EDC -  and as a handy camp knife for when I sit or squat preparing a fire,  or say cook a meal,  where the sheath-knife at my hip can be hard to reach at times.

Offline hiwa

• Whetstone +
  • Alberta Bushcrafter
« Reply #215 on: January 24, 2016, 11:41:41 AM »
Just finished grinding the ramp off my Bravo 1.25/3V and found a sheath I made a while ago that fits it like a glove. I plan to do some extensive working and testing with this as soon as the weather gets a little better. So far I'm loving this knife, and it looks like it's neck-to neck with my favorite knife the last three years- the Benchmade Bushcrafter.

So far , the Benchmade has exceeded all my expectations and the only thing I've had to adjust myself too is the longer sharpening sessions for S30V. But you certainly don't have to do it very often , and there had been no edge issues with it. I have used it to do a lot of hard work and batonning and it just keeps going without a hitch.  I think 3V will be an outstanding performer also , although I probably have to bring a strop with me for touch-ups.

The handle got a little sanding to un-gloss it, the spine  also after I ground the ramp off ( there's a little unintentional "dip" of about 1 mm right where my thumb goes , but I like it!) and the handle fits my size 8 hand like a dream. Liking the orange g10 , especially if I drop a $300 blade in the bush .

« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 11:51:29 AM by hiwa »

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #216 on: January 24, 2016, 06:16:59 PM »
Howa, nice knife. Nice work on removing the ramp. I don't think I could bring myself to mod a $300 knife.
enjoy it.

Offline brad.clarkston

• Whetstone +
    • Middle Age Ramblings
« Reply #217 on: January 24, 2016, 06:32:11 PM »
I'm starting to wonder what is wrong with me ... I've been using a cheap Condor Rodan for the last four or five years cuz it was cheap and I couldn't break it not that I love it or anything like that.

It's not all that great at choping, horrible at feathersticks, so-so at sparking and needs touched up all the time but I can beat the liven daylights out of it and it just laughs at me.
I've pounded it into a tree stump and stood on it and never thought twice about it.  Probably because I usually carry a axe, saw and mora with me in the pack if it's a real outing.

Now I'm going to have the think about buying something new, Fallkniven is about the only thing I've thought about a few times.
I love looking at the vendor forum knives I just don't pull the trigger.

Offline hiwa

• Whetstone +
  • Alberta Bushcrafter
« Reply #218 on: January 24, 2016, 08:09:41 PM »
Howa, nice knife. Nice work on removing the ramp. I don't think I could bring myself to mod a $300 knife.
enjoy it.

Thanks. I gave it a great amount concentration so I didn't mess it up. It was the last orange one I could get at this price, but it had the ramp which I dislike.

Offline hiwa

• Whetstone +
  • Alberta Bushcrafter
« Reply #219 on: January 24, 2016, 08:18:25 PM »

Now I'm going to have the think about buying something new, Fallkniven is about the only thing I've thought about a few times.
I love looking at the vendor forum knives I just don't pull the trigger.

I have the F1, S1, and A1 , and the one I find the most versatile is the S1. They are all outstanding knives , but I had to give them all a try.  Customs are nice, but I like knives that I can replace easily , so I usually go the factory route.  The S1 was my main carry for a couple of years before my Benchmade 162 came along.

You fellas in the States have much better choice and access to custom knives than us in Canada , so if you find something you like , I say go for it ! I bet you could get something really nice for the $200+/- mark. If it was me , I'd get a kephart pattern with micarta scales , but that's just me. :)

Offline brad.clarkston

• Whetstone +
    • Middle Age Ramblings
« Reply #220 on: January 24, 2016, 08:31:17 PM »

Thanks I was thinking about the S1.  The F1 is just to small in blade length for me if I'm going to spend real money on it.

It's funny when we go to the gatherings or other outings everyone wants to compare knives, I'm the only one that goes bleh, ;)
I tend to spend most of my money on clothes and non-blade equipment. 
Don't even ask how much my custom 10x10 oilcloth tarp cost me, you can't see daylight through it (6.5 pounds per inch).

This forum is corrupting me into wanting to buy knives with posts like this.

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #221 on: January 25, 2016, 07:05:20 AM »

Don't even ask how much my custom 10x10 oilcloth tarp cost me, you can't see daylight through it (6.5 pounds per inch).

??
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #222 on: January 25, 2016, 10:25:18 AM »

??

?? x 2
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #223 on: January 25, 2016, 11:03:57 AM »
C'mon you guys, it's just simple math....10' X 10' = 1440 square inches X 6.5 pounds = 9360 pounds. :popcorn:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #224 on: January 25, 2016, 11:09:01 AM »
It wasn't the math that had me bamboozled, it was the transporting and setting up part.   :P

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #225 on: January 25, 2016, 12:04:25 PM »
I did the math too.  I was going to have to buy a new truck to haul one as my tow limit is 9000 pounds.   :P

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline brad.clarkston

• Whetstone +
    • Middle Age Ramblings
« Reply #226 on: January 25, 2016, 04:02:47 PM »
ha, ha you know what I meant, ... :)  Tinsel strength not how much it weighed, the mind was wondering when I was typing.
I should have known better than watch the playoffs and type at the same time.

It's a custom Tentsmith oilskin, yea a bit heavy but it's the best I've used for a low slung winter shelter.

Offline Baz

• Mill File
« Reply #227 on: February 12, 2016, 03:10:10 PM »
Well, after nearly 10 years of beta-testing I think it's safe to say that "the finnish army knife" Sissipuukko m95 is my go-to blade, even tho I've tried to move to traditional mora-like knives several times I somehow feel handicapped if I don't have the rugged sissy with me to torture.

Funny thing is it's not a perfect blade for actually anything (except for maybe stabbing somebody, which I personally haven't tested).
-Feathersticks won't get as fine
-Processing game and fish is hard with a long (15cm/~5.9'') and thick (5mm/0.2'') blade
-It's too lightweight for a chopper (still a decent one)
-Sharpening would be easier if the blade was a scandi IMO
-And the back isn't a sharp 90 degree angle, it's somewhat rounded... something a file quickly fixed tho

Despite it's shortcomings as a proper bush blade, damn is it a rugged all-around tool, I don't know what the magic is behind 80CrV2 steel or the tempering but:
-digging & prying huge rocks from the ground
-cutting metal wire
-cutting that metal belt some wooden crates or cargo is tied together with
-cutting & chopping through bones of small game
-opening cans
-prying a jammed cartridge from a rifle (a stainless marttiini skinner chipped)
-scraping ferrorods with the edge
...still no dents or hacks in the edge...
Sure it dulls pretty much instantly when misused but sharpening takes seconds.
Other than that the long blade is handy when batoning and the grip is excellent.

Yeah, I don't carry many tools on me ;D

Better one day lived than two days dead

Offline Sarge

• Water Stone
« Reply #228 on: February 12, 2016, 07:41:26 PM »
Awesome, Baz! I knew nothing about that knife. Thanks for sharing.

"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #229 on: February 12, 2016, 09:57:55 PM »
Baz,

What are your thoughts on the M07? Seems much the same only shorter from way over here.. I think your ability to admit to and stick with the various compromises you outlined is commendable.

For me the various tasks you listed would take at least two, if we wanted to say knives only.

Offline Baz

• Mill File
« Reply #230 on: February 13, 2016, 06:11:12 AM »
Baz,

What are your thoughts on the M07? Seems much the same only shorter from way over here.. I think your ability to admit to and stick with the various compromises you outlined is commendable.

For me the various tasks you listed would take at least two, if we wanted to say knives only.

The m07 is identical to the m95, just with a shorter blade -it's indestructible.
Still a bit thick for slicing fish and not the best carver but definitely a great all-around tool you can't go wrong with.
If I lose my m95 i'm most likely gonna get the m07 as a replacement, mainly because the steel in other knives Iv'e used is nothing like in the sissys.

I do carry a swiss army knife if I need to do clockwork-precise tasks tho ;)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 06:18:29 AM by Baz »
Better one day lived than two days dead

Offline gene stoner

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #231 on: April 09, 2016, 10:41:25 AM »

Hope this works. First post.

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #232 on: April 09, 2016, 07:25:06 PM »
Nice useful combo Gene.
Should handle most of what needs to be done.

Offline Sarge

• Water Stone
« Reply #233 on: April 09, 2016, 07:47:16 PM »

Nice! How do you like that B.O.B.?

Offline gene stoner

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #234 on: April 09, 2016, 10:41:34 PM »

Nice! How do you like that B.O.B.?

So far I've not had a chance to do much with it but so far I'm happy with it.

Offline gene stoner

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #235 on: April 09, 2016, 10:49:20 PM »
Nice useful combo Gene.
Should handle most of what needs to be done.

Thanks I'm a big fan of the Vic saw.

Offline Uncle Sam

• Mill File+
« Reply #236 on: May 17, 2016, 05:29:46 PM »
Interesting question. For my EDC its definitely my Garret Wade pocket knife.
http://www.garrettwade.com/drop-point-pocket-knife-gp.html
My favorite carry knife in the woods and such would be a Marbles. I'm not sure of the exact model or what have you. It was a gift from my father many years ago.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #237 on: May 17, 2016, 06:04:19 PM »
post up a pic and someone will ID that old Marbles. ;)

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
Mora Companion Heavy Duty MG
« Reply #238 on: May 20, 2016, 03:47:34 PM »
There are a lot of knives that I prefer aesthetically, or have more features that I like, but most probably the one that ends up on my belt day after day is my favorite, in the strictest sense, the one that I most often show favor. Being able to maintain a good keen edge consistently is huge too.

That chip is going to take a long time to work out.

I sunk some tiny neodymium magnets in the grip and inside of the sheath to make up for the bit of retention lost when I removed the molded plastic belt loop for the necessary lefty modification. took a couple tries, as you can see by the ugly little hole below the one in the grip.

Certainly earns the name Companion.

Offline Uncle Sam

• Mill File+
« Reply #239 on: May 26, 2016, 05:39:01 PM »
post up a pic and someone will ID that old Marbles. ;)

OK, I cant really post a picture right at the moment. But I've done some research as this thread made me curious. It is a Marbles Fieldcraft. Looking at the spacers its a 2002 I do believe. Black/brass/red/white/red/brass/black

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #240 on: May 26, 2016, 06:46:23 PM »
You should still add a pic when you can. If not, well that's okay too.

Awhile back I got a used Bark river Trail Buddy, that's the one with the Fieldcraft shaped blade.  :shrug: I always liked the blade shape and there it was
   Yeah, wish I would have got a used Marbles instead.

Offline Uncle Sam

• Mill File+
« Reply #241 on: May 30, 2016, 01:18:11 PM »

OK, heres a pic finally.

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #242 on: May 30, 2016, 01:27:58 PM »
I don't see a pic.

Offline Uncle Sam

• Mill File+
« Reply #243 on: May 30, 2016, 02:01:04 PM »
OK. I did something wrong. I'll get it fixed, give me a bit.

Offline Uncle Sam

• Mill File+
« Reply #244 on: May 30, 2016, 02:23:02 PM »

OK, I think I got it.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #245 on: May 30, 2016, 03:16:02 PM »
Yup....ya' got it that time. :thumbsup:   Pretty little knife with a substantial sheath......no wonder you like it!
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Anubis1335

• Whetstone +
« Reply #246 on: July 07, 2016, 08:59:04 AM »
My fave production knife is Becker.  Missing from pic BK15.  Stays on my go bag shoulder strap

« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 09:47:21 AM by Anubis1335 »
OINK!

Offline Sarge

• Water Stone
« Reply #247 on: September 10, 2017, 11:04:47 AM »
Thought I'd bump this thread with my favorite - sad to see all these broken pic links.

Recently replaced a lost Becker BK16 with a new one. Knife came with a set of black scales and a set of tan. I used the tan and added green G10 liners. It's an out-of-the-box hair popper.

Also made a leather sheath for it

MOLLE/PALS compatible straps and snaps on the back, lashing eyelets, etc. for multiple carry options. Sheath is a work in progress - I haven't field tested it yet.