Author Topic: friday the 13th and hammock zen.  (Read 3283 times)

Offline JV3

• Mill File+
friday the 13th and hammock zen.
« on: May 15, 2016, 02:48:03 PM »
having spent several weekends in a row with friends i badly needed some solitude...and what better time to go to the woods than friday the 13th with rain too! just before taking off i had a friend ask me about birch bark so i harvested some to send over.

i first saw this downed tree maybe 5 years ago and the bark is far from rotting.

there's so much oil in the bark that it felt like stiff leather despite the interior being well rotted already.

picked this off the ground and gave it a good shake and the interior spilled out like soil...the bark itself was still super pliable.

what can i say, i like to stay super hydrated :D

« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 02:53:07 PM by JV3 »

Offline JV3

• Mill File+
Re: friday the 13th and hammock zen.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 02:49:22 PM »
i decided to do a silky saw fine vs. medium teeth comparison since i haven't seen anyone do it yet...not sure if this log is maple or beech but it's well seasoned...in short, i prefer the medium teeth for all-around hardwood use (we mostly have oak, maple, beech, some hickory and cedar here). if i was cutting bamboo though i prefer the fine teeth.

the rain started just as i finished my fire prep.

the only cutting tools i used for this trip since i already had a good stash of wood from previous trips.

poplar bark was damp and refused to light with a firesteel no matter how fine it got from rolling between my hands. this is why rain or shine i almost never use natural tinder, preferring instead to make feathersticks fine enough to light with just a firesteel - i get enough practice so i know i can do it when i really need to!

after i threatened to use my featherstick instead the poplar bark finally gave in and lit.

thanks to reuben and that survival russia dude for showing me the siberian firelay.

the gates of hell!

Offline JV3

• Mill File+
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 02:50:16 PM »
bushcraft tv.

i love the sound of rain hitting the tarp.

3rd straight overnighter with rain...i was happy as a clam!

the drip line (orange cord) working well...there's also a dutch 'biner next to it.

mother nature has her own tricks up her sleeve for not getting wet.

Offline JV3

• Mill File+
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 02:51:36 PM »
brought my machete just in case jason decided to show up :D so far it's been 3 out of 3 no shows.

this little guy did harass me for a piece of kielbasa.

you know this pic was coming!

Offline JV3

• Mill File+
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 02:52:54 PM »
i'm a recent hammock convert and shug's videos of breakfast in the hammock were the ones that pushed me over the edge...wooo buddy! thanks shug for all your videos.

i literally spent the next day just doing...nothing.

hammock zen achieved!

got up long enough to cook lunch...then back on the hammock.

amazing what a little peace and quiet will bring to camp...turkeys and even heard a hawk fly below the tree branches and close enough for me to hear the wings flap...even saw quite a few chipmunks chasing each other and ran underneath my hammock completely oblivious to my existence :)

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 03:46:04 PM »
Again soon really nice pictures, thanks.
I was wandering about the fine tooth saws. My feeling was the medium tooth saw would be better for general work.
What a great day to be outside.

Offline U.W.

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Whetstone +
  • Charred Cloth Challenge
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 03:52:58 PM »
I'd say you nailed it JV3!

u.w.

Offline NewEnglandBushcraft

• Whetstone +
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 06:35:25 PM »
:thumbsup: Someone has been living good  8). Glad you enjoyed the rain, for me in Missouri it was nothing but strong thunderstorms with some hail, but thankfully it decreased the temperature and humidity.

I have to agree with your findings with the medium vs fine teeth on the Silky. My Pocketboy has the medium teeth, though I chose it to be an "all-arounder" for cutting both hardwoods and softwoods. You just 'gotta love that super smooth finish on the freshly sawn wood :).
"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." ~ Abraham Lincoln
My blog, https://newenglandbushcraft.wordpress.com/

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2016, 06:45:10 PM »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline Orbean

• Whetstone +
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2016, 08:18:25 PM »
Another great post with awesome pics, thank you
Nice matters

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2016, 08:42:26 PM »
Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart

Offline JV3

• Mill File+
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2016, 09:14:40 PM »
Again soon really nice pictures, thanks.
I was wandering about the fine tooth saws. My feeling was the medium tooth saw would be better for general work.

thanks! i was expecting the fine would be better for my type of hardwood too but i prefer the medium by far...fine would be my choice for bamboo though!

I'd say you nailed it JV3!

u.w.

thanks!

:thumbsup: Someone has been living good  8). Glad you enjoyed the rain, for me in Missouri it was nothing but strong thunderstorms with some hail, but thankfully it decreased the temperature and humidity.

I have to agree with your findings with the medium vs fine teeth on the Silky. My Pocketboy has the medium teeth, though I chose it to be an "all-arounder" for cutting both hardwoods and softwoods. You just 'gotta love that super smooth finish on the freshly sawn wood :).

thanks! i'm super paranoid about water as you can see so the weather definitely cooperated with me...i did wish it rained all night though - love the sound of rain hitting the tarp.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

thanks!

Another great post with awesome pics, thank you

thanks!

Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks!

Offline BigHat

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2016, 06:06:01 AM »
nice trip and great write up!

thanks for taking us along
"you're doing it wrong!"  -everyone
"Doesn't matter what knife you're good with, if you're good with a knife." -Yeoman

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2016, 07:54:50 AM »
Great photos of a great camp.  I like your tools and the things you take along too.  Thanks.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2016, 08:21:54 PM »
great shot of that white tail!

Offline Uncle Sam

• Mill File+
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2016, 04:42:49 PM »
That looks like a super time! I'm a little bit jealous. I've been stressed and a solo getaway sounds super wonderful.

Offline WoodsWalker1807

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2017, 03:08:28 PM »
Nice trip report and pictures. Love Shug's vids too. Breakfast from the hammock is awesome !