Author Topic: One mans loss  (Read 837 times)

Offline Whistler1895

• Mill File+
One mans loss
« on: January 13, 2017, 04:34:24 AM »
[ima frig][/img]  a friend of mine went hunting in NC over new years and found thi in the woods. When i told him it did not appear to be damascus but was acid etched , he looked very disappointed and gave it to me. I cleaned it up and oiledthe handle. I think it's pretty cool. What say y'all?

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
Re: One mans loss
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 04:57:04 AM »
Nice looking lil knife! I'd bet the person who lost it is bummed, but since you have it now & have no clue as to the owner... May as well put it to use. Did he give you a "coin" with the knife? ;)

Edit:
Ooops...That sentence marked out above, should have read...

Did You, give him, a coin for it?
;)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 09:36:51 AM by MnSportsman »
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 06:36:34 AM »
tt is one nice lil' knife, ireally like the be finish,

Offline Whistler1895

• Mill File+
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 06:54:58 AM »
Me too .i believe its acid etched.the wood looks like some wood a man gave me, could it be Lace wood?looks like snake skin

Offline Whistler1895

• Mill File+
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 07:00:41 AM »
No coin,he was upset that it wasn't 100yr.old damascus and worth a fortune.it was barely rusted,maybe a couple of days on the ground. Its for sure self made . Value does not always start w/a $ sister gn

Offline U.W.

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Whetstone +
  • Charred Cloth Challenge
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 08:58:28 AM »
Nice looking lil knife! I'd bet the person who lost it is bummed, but since you have it now & have no clue as to the owner... May as well put it to use. Did he give you a "coin" with the knife? ;-)

JB,
Shouldn't whistler have given his friend a coin ("silver"), instead of his friend giving him one with the knife?  Or do I misunderstand the tradition.

As to the knife...  It it's comfortable in your hand, takes, and holds an edge - use it, and use it much.

u.w.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 09:34:01 AM »

JB,
Shouldn't whistler have given his friend a coin ("silver"), instead of his friend giving him one with the knife?  Or do I misunderstand the tradition.

As to the knife...  It it's comfortable in your hand, takes, and holds an edge - use it, and use it much.

u.w.

Yes. I wrote it backwards. Ooops..Don't know why I typed it that way. Half asleep maybe? Anyway, yes...

The knife gifter should get the coin from the knife recipient. 

LOL Thanks for clearing it up.
 ;)

I went back & edited it showing the change.

:)
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 10:30:07 AM »
Quote from: MnSportsman link=topic=13528.msg246113#msg246113

I went back & edited it showing the "change".

:lol:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 11:44:46 AM »
Not sure about the laughing emoticon meaning from you, Wolfy, but I did smile a bit at myself for how I phrased that sentence in the first post I made. I knew what I was trying to say, just said it the wrong way..." "Listen to what I "Mean", not what I "Say!" ", is a common statement I heard growing up, when my Ma was so flustered at something, she did the same thing by saying something backwards from the intended meaning. Maybe it is some form of dyslexia when someone is exited/frustrated/or "half asleep". LOL
But I am curious to why you found it so funny.. Was it because of that saying??

Something else just came to mind( I am more awake now also. ;) )... I don't want to take away from the nice knife discussion, but about the coin thing. Some folks give a penny with a knife, then the recipient gives the penny back, but keeps the knife. Thus , getting rid of the superstition/curse that not paying for the knife will,"cut the friendship in the future.", and there is no loss to the recipient since he was given both to do with as he liked. So, my original question could have been valid, if that was taken into consideration.
;)

That tradition/superstition is not unlike giving a wallet as a gift, and the wallet is empty, superstition saying that then the wallet recipient is cursed with not ever having a wallet with much money in it, indicating poverty in the future. The circumvention of that superstition/curse is to include some money in the wallet to ensure the recipient is to always have money in the wallet/purse in the future & be wealthy.
;)

Anyway, back to the knife, which is a dandy looking one...

Whistler1895, Was it in a sheath, or just dropped as shown in the pic?

Offline Whistler1895

• Mill File+
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 12:11:46 PM »
No sheath. Musta popped out. I'm thinking about horz. Carry. And thx for the coin tradition , i had never heard that.

Offline Whistler1895

• Mill File+
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 12:17:44 PM »
Oh ,the knife is 81/2 " overall 41/2" blade 1/8 thck. I cleaned in and oiled the handle