Author Topic: mirror finish micarta scales  (Read 658 times)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
mirror finish micarta scales
« on: March 28, 2017, 07:07:29 AM »
how dey doo dat, no seriously how do you get that mirror
finish on those scales? is all in the buffing process?
i have a small buffer 1.soft felt wheel and1,med felt wheel
is it the compound which one?
white
pink
or green?
i'm getting ready to finish 2 knives and am new to the whole micarta thing.
any ideas will be helpful.

Offline Sarge

• Water Stone
Re: mirror finish micarta scales
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 12:29:54 PM »
Red shared his formula a while back for metal polishing and I use the same combinations for micarta. I think it kinda depends on the micarta - some seems to shine better than others.

I just have a 6" HF buffer - nothing fancy. I start with Medium Cut & Color (gray) on a sisal wheel, then White Blending Bar (I thnk) on a sewn cloth wheel. Your medium felt should work. Then finish with a loose leaf muslin wheel with Pink Scratchless. I got it all at Jantz but I've seen it all on other websites. Compounds are about $10-12 each but last a LONG time.

The sisal and the sewn wheels can burn/melt epoxy with too much pressure or if you leave it one place too long.

Anyway ... that's how I do it.
"In the school of the woods, there is no graduation day."  Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 12:44:37 PM »
I think your buffing wheels are too hard for what you're trying to accomplish.  I am a VERY amateurish knife builder, but I have had very good results using just an old motor with a stitched muslin buffing wheel attached to an arbor that I bought a long time ago at Sears (better hurry) for less than $15.   I sand by hand with very fine wet/dry paper first and then go to the wheel charged with the bar of white compound that they call 'stainless'.....good 'nuff fer me. :shrug:

Here's another tutorial from that Northcoast Knives tutorial section....
http://www.northcoastknives.com/northcoast_knives_tutorials_hints_tips14.htm

EDIT:   I was constructing the post before Sarge beat me to the punch, but decided to post it anyway. 8)   He knows a helluva lot more than I do about it! :hail:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Sarge

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 12:50:30 PM »
I think your buffing wheels are too hard for what you're trying to accomplish.  I am a VERY amateurish knife builder, but I have had very good results using just an old motor with a stitched muslin buffing wheel attached to an arbor that I bought a long time ago at Sears (better hurry) for less than $15.   I sand by hand with very fine wet/dry paper first and then go to the wheel charged with the bar of white compound that they call 'stainless'.....good 'nuff fer me. :shrug:

Here's another tutorial from that Northcoast Knives tutorial section....
http://www.northcoastknives.com/northcoast_knives_tutorials_hints_tips14.htm

EDIT:   I was constructing the post before Sarge beat me to the punch, but decided to post it anyway. 8)   He knows a helluva lot more than I do about it! :hail:

I credit ...or blame... Red - depending on the results. LOL
"In the school of the woods, there is no graduation day."  Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 02:05:49 PM »
Hayshaker, here's one I posted sometime back, but you may not have seen. :shrug:   I put it together a looooong time ago, but it shows the level of polish that can be obtained with just the very rudimentary methods & equipment that I had at hand. 

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 02:39:30 PM »
OMG wolfy you made that. wow your too modest

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 02:49:50 PM »
OMG wolfy you made that. wow your too modest
:-[  I didn't actually 'make' it.....I just gathered the finished blade, brass bar stock, micarta block and spacer material, shaped and polished them and assembled them into a finished knife for a friend.  I'm more of an assemblyman than an actual MAKER like the rest of my friends here on the forum......it was fun, though. :)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 02:55:22 PM by wolfy »