Author Topic: have an Aldi's? gear there...  (Read 965 times)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
have an Aldi's? gear there...
« on: May 22, 2017, 03:47:51 PM »
I was surprised to see a camping section at Aldi's. If you don't have one it's a discount grocery store. all no name canned goods and home supplies. Most of their stuff is decent quality. It's the main source for our frozen fish.

They had a large section. Hammocks 9.5'x4.5' for$12.

2,  35' polyester  ropes with glow strand utility rope. A black camp shower bag. An 8 oz flask. A few other things i don't remember all $4.99 each

An 8 person two room tent for $69.

A single burner propane (maybe butane, I don't think so tho) for $14.99

Bunch more. I got a self inflating mat like I always see for $80+ for only $14.99. It's heavy duty, not real heavy, it airs up 2" and is very comfortable.

I couldn't pass this up either. $9.99 and it's 23"x 12.5"x6.7" very light and folds up into it's own inside pocket. I actually carried our grocery's in the house with it. Not real well built but it'll come in very handy for a quick outing with the dogs. They had multiple color options as well.

Plumb hatchet for size comparison.

pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: have an Aldi's? gear there...
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 04:20:39 PM »
I assume Aldi's is just back east.  We have none in South Dakota, at least the western area. 

Those mats are pretty good.  I have two or three and use them quite a bit.  I think mine are made by Thermo Rest.  Yard sale finds for cheap.

We have a chain called Shopko in the nearest town.  Besides clothing, shoes, housewares, a few tools, and groceries they have a a selection of camping and fishing supplies.  A few items like cartridges, inexpensive knives, compasses, low end binoculars, and so forth.  Once a big game season ends they put a lot of stuff on closeout and I stock up.  Last year I bought a lifetime supply of 20 ga. shotgun mops for $1 each and some shooting gloves for $3.00 each.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 04:56:20 PM »
That's cool. All our Aldi has is grocery. We shop there often though.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 05:03:55 PM »
Our Aldi's is 99% groceries, also, but there is a section of other "stuff."  Never paid much attention to it.  Will have to look the next time we shop there which is pretty often.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 05:46:49 PM »
Aldi's can be very hit and miss. we usually go the 20 miles north to Oswego. It's a bigger store with a lot more variety. There is a new store opening in Baldwinsville about 11 miles south. They are in the process of tearing down the old Nestle Chocolate Factory and putting an Aldi's (for one) in there. That is right here in Fulton.

Osewgo is a tourist town with the college and a ton of campgrounds around the big lake. That might be part of the marketing.

I've heard of shopko, never been to one. I like that kind of store. lil of everything and cheap.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 05:51:16 PM »
No Aldi's around here, either......we do have Shopko, Dollar Tree & Dollar General, though. :banana:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Online hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 06:04:16 PM »
DW got me a 2500 Watt (2000 continuous) Genset for $99 buck.......
Just figured I would want one...

Actually works pretty good...use it with a Remington 10" electric pole chain saw....
Load up in  the trailer behind 4 wheeler... w/ the saw....tow to hanging limbs start up and cut the limb...load in trailer and move to next one.

Then again....Menards,...big box DIY lumber store....has groceries...
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 07:23:53 PM »
I have some in the area here in OK.  I'll have to check them out.  That inflatable mat looks like a great deal for $15.  Thanks for the heads up xj!
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 05:21:03 AM »
Ours is mostly food, one aisle for whatnot.  We hit them for groceries before going to Publics to fill out our list.  Aldid's consistently  runs half the price of Publics.  But yes,  there are somethings you may want to pop for the Public's stuff.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Online hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 07:50:21 AM »
One thing I have noticed at Aldi's....a lot of their non grocery items are ''specials"....and not in the store all the time.
Like the get a batch and when sold out....that it for a while.
That was  the deal with the genset.
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 09:15:35 AM »
I used to drive for H.O. Wolding out of Amherst WI. I delivered to and shopped at Menards. Awesome place.

Our Real Deals is a everything is a dollar store and they too have buy outs. That's where I got all the camo ripstop. 40 yards of 68" wide untreated and 18 yards of silpoly. It was mixed in with a bunch of rolls by mistake I think.

A few weeks ago we picked up a queen size sir mattress with built in air pump for $39 at Aldi's. It's $99 at walmart. We plan on using it in our PMF camper. That'll be an interesting thread!!! ;D

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2017, 03:58:19 PM »
Visited the Aldi's near us.  Yup, camping gear and tools and home improvement stuff too.  But the meat looked embalmed.  :-\
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2017, 04:10:43 PM »
We picked up two good size sleeping bags for $9.99 each. I ordered compression bags from e-bay for$3.99 and will keep them in the truck for fireworks and parades and such.

That backpack I got is bigger than that canvas one I picked up from the truck stop. I filled it with a ton of stuff and it carries decent.

The meat can be old. Best to ask what their recieving day is and get it before it can warm in the cooler. Same with walmart. Sometimes the package is bloated. That's from bacteria making methane.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2017, 03:30:56 PM »
Okay, I've lost my mind. I just can't turn down a cheap deal. This one from Aldis is larger(heavier) than the last one and cost $29.99.

it's 27"x12"x6" and has the goodies my stansport has and then some.

The straps are beefy and soft. They have molle webbing, D rings, Breast strap with a whistle, and they can be adjusted for multiple torso lengths. Also very beefy waist belt. 2" webbing strap on there is very long for a chubby guy if needed.

The very bottom of the pack has a compartment that holds a flap that zips the back closed so it's a duffle bag sort of, and a waterproof cover. both roll up small and are held inside by a velcro strip.

There is Molle on the back and velcro straps. The left zipper is access to the inside the right zipper is a large pocket.

This is what I wanted most. Straps on the bottom for a bedroll or my thermarest z. behind that is a zipper that accesses the bottom compartment. This bottom compartment is optional, the inside divider unzips to open the entire interior.

There are pockets on each side that will easily carry a 1 Liter water bottle. you can see how wide the pack is. There are also two cinch straps on each side. Rifle on one side hatchet one the other?

Then they too had this solar charging 6000 MAH battery bank. $14.99. It can charge two devices at the same time and it has a rapid and a trickle charge port. Depending on what device you're going to charge. The little green light was on indicating it was charging and it's dark and thunder storming right now and I'm inside the house!!It has 4 L.E.D.S to show the percentage of charge. I'll do an in depth review after a few cycles and outdoor usage. The book says full charge 50% to 100%6 hours. It's going to always be charged via usb before a hike. The panel just helps keep it up for the next use.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2017, 03:49:13 AM »
I have used this battery bank to charge my samsung galaxy S4 mini twice. the first time I left it for a long time. It may have charged the phone then depleted it's own power trying to decide if it needed to charge or not. I should have unplugged it. The second time it only used 1/4 of the charge as only one light went out and three remained lit.

I put it in the window to charge. It had the little green l.e.d. saying it was getting enough sun to charge. It's been about a week of on and off sun with showers mixed in. It still only has three battery level lights lit.

Lithium has to break in. You should not go below half charge for at least the first 3 uses. I may have damaged the cells? I'll put it in direct sun outside the first chance I get. It's keeping 3/4 charge so I don't think there is battery damage. It is supposed to have a low level cut off circuit to keep from draining completely.

At any rate it will easily charge my phone to full at least 3 times probably 4 on a full charge. Not bad for $15.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2017, 08:49:49 AM »
Not sure why it doesn't charge with the solar panel. In the sun all day yesterday and still only 3 battery lights on.

Offline Reallybigmonkey1

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Mill File+
  • Have machete, will travel
    • Fun In The Woods
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2017, 11:57:06 AM »
I had no idea Aldi's had camping gear. We have a food only Aldi's  but there's a lot larger Aldi's  in nearby Kennesaw Georgia that I never saw a reason to go into until now.  I gotta have some of them mats and that battery sounds good too
Sleeping in a tree is better than sleeping with bugs.

Offline ThoseWhoWander

• Mill File
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2017, 09:48:43 PM »
I had no idea Aldi's had camping gear. We have a food only Aldi's  but there's a lot larger Aldi's  in nearby Kennesaw Georgia that I never saw a reason to go into until now.  I gotta have some of them mats and that battery sounds good too

reallybigmonkey!  HI! 

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2017, 08:54:08 PM »
nearest aldi's for me is 70'miles :(