Author Topic: Maiden Voyage For The Tesla  (Read 501 times)

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
Maiden Voyage For The Tesla
« on: May 31, 2017, 01:44:13 PM »
A while back I picked up a 10 year old Necky Tesla from Sam (selling for a third party).  The hull was in great shape.  I replaced the neoprene hatch covers and picked up a spray skirt for it.  Added some bungee cord and gave it a good cleaning.  I still need to rework the rudder system.  This was my first time in a sit inside kayak.  It took a little getting used to, but so far, so good.  It cuts through the water nicely.  It has plenty of storage space for a camping trip.  Getting in and out of it will take some getting used to.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Re: Maiden Voyage For The Tesla
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 01:47:37 PM »
Great pics! One day your footprints will be fossilized along with those tracks. :D Raccoon?

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 02:00:23 PM »
That's great!

When we get into our whitewater kayaks we place the paddle behind the cockpit, one blade on the sand or bottom, hands on either side, scootch in,  and then snap the skirt on.  It's really stable that way.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 02:58:22 PM »
Nice looking yak and great pics.  I bet that thing does slice through the water.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 03:37:21 PM »
Nice Crash!  Gotta love a view from the water.  Anything that gets that for you is a good thing.  I'd say you are on your way to a nice craft to add to your fleet.
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 05:32:21 PM »
Is it stable? That's an awesome place to paddle.

I called about one like that and the owner talked himself out of a sale. kept going on and on about how he and his wife were unable to paddle anywhere without tipping over. Even went on to say it's nearly impossible to get in. He offered to let me take it out on the river to try. I wish I did but he convinced me it wasn't what I wanted!!
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 05:38:54 PM »
While paddling it was plenty stable.  When I used the paddle to turn hard it wanted to bank into the turn.  That was easy enough to counter by shifting a little in the seat, and should be a non issue when I re-do the rudder system and can use that.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 09:07:38 PM »
Is the boat's whole hull made from fiberglass or a two-part combination of plastic and fiberglass?   It sure looks like a good cruiser.....lots of glide with minimal effort.  The older I get, the better I like that feature. 8)
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline woodsorrel

• Whetstone +
    • NatureOutside
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 10:20:33 PM »
Crashdive123, where do you keep your paddle float and pump for self rescue?  I didn't see them in your pictures.

- Woodsorrel
The best backpacks are named for national parks or mountain ranges. Steer clear of those named for landfills.
Bushcraft tips and tricks:  www.NatureOutside.c om

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 05:46:29 AM »
Is the boat's whole hull made from fiberglass or a two-part combination of plastic and fiberglass?   It sure looks like a good cruiser.....lots of glide with minimal effort.  The older I get, the better I like that feature. 8)

100% fiberglass.

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 05:48:30 AM »
Crashdive123, where do you keep your paddle float and pump for self rescue?  I didn't see them in your pictures.

- Woodsorrel

Paddle floats.  Bailing device along with quite a few other items were not shown.  I take safety very seriously.

Offline woodsorrel

• Whetstone +
    • NatureOutside
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2017, 07:36:44 AM »

Paddle floats.  Bailing device along with quite a few other items were not shown.  I take safety very seriously.

Awesome!  I  was worried for a moment. :)

- Woodsorrel
The best backpacks are named for national parks or mountain ranges. Steer clear of those named for landfills.
Bushcraft tips and tricks:  www.NatureOutside.c om

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2017, 01:41:24 PM »
Great looking boat Crash, congrats.

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2017, 07:16:34 PM »
Does this mean you'll be making PFD vest knives?  8)

She looks sleek and fast, gotta name for it yet?.... crash-cruiser
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2017, 03:12:00 AM »
No name yet.  I've been toying around with the idea of making some titanium knives.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2017, 05:00:12 AM »
My first dedicated boat knife was for whitewater.  It was a Techna titanium skeleton in a snap lock hard plastic sheath.  All the cool kids had them mounted upside down on their pfd.  Lost it pretty much the first run on Chattooga section 4.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2017, 07:57:50 AM »
As I recall, there's a Bear recurve that got tossed off a cliff and into the drink on that section of the Cahulawassee, too........or is my memory failing me? :shrug: :canoe:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2017, 08:29:04 AM »
Man there are so many stories about that area.  It's really a cool place to visit.  Just don't poke your nose down the wrong road.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2017, 06:09:51 PM »
so is that the area you  got the palmwood from?
any how nice pics as usual . oh hows the fishing there?

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2017, 02:52:08 AM »
Sweet ride Crash. Check out making your own Greenland paddle for it. It would help more than you think on those windy days in open water. Maybe this year will be the one we can get organized on another multi day trip down any of these rivers around here.

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2017, 06:20:56 PM »
I'll check out the Greenland paddle.  Would love to do a multi day trip any time.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2017, 03:50:20 PM »
Happy that the Tesla is working out for you.  Very nice to see it actually being used.  I believe I mentioned that though it was 10 years old, it had never been in the water!  Fast and stable,  and a learning curve for getting in and out.   Sounds like a great way to play on the water this summer.    :)