Author Topic: Anyone interested in a new knife?  (Read 23466 times)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Re: Anyone interested in a new knife?
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2015, 08:55:30 PM »
I beat the crap out of my Redneck knife.  Then had to face the music asking Steve to fix it  (He actually offered, truth be known).  I'm still trying to get around my slobbish behaviour with a custom blade.  :P

Lately it spent the night underwater in a swamp.

I'm hopeless.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2015, 06:58:09 AM »
I beat the crap out of my Redneck knife.  Then had to face the music asking Steve to fix it  (He actually offered, truth be known).  I'm still trying to get around my slobbish behaviour with a custom blade.  :P

Lately it spent the night underwater in a swamp.

I'm hopeless.

LOL!  This sounds more like a testimonial to Redneck Knives  :choptree:

I've used mine a good deal and I am very surprised by the edge holding capability it has.  I show it off to friends and they can't get over how sharp it is.  Then I tell them I've batoned with it and carved up kindling on multiple occasions and have not sharpened it.  They laugh and tell me I'm full of it.
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline Red

• Maker of Sub-Par Knives
  • Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2015, 11:09:40 AM »

That's undoubtedly true, but, so far I've been lucky enough to avoid investing in a decent set of water stones.....GOOD ones of a decent size are pretty spendy for an old age pensioner! ???

That may be true, but we may be able to work something out, I am getting ready to spring for a new set, and there is still plenty of life in my old ones.. Perhaps we can make some kind of arrangement ;)
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline Red

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2015, 11:20:16 AM »

LOL!  This sounds more like a testimonial to Redneck Knives  :choptree:

I've used mine a good deal and I am very surprised by the edge holding capability it has.  I show it off to friends and they can't get over how sharp it is.  Then I tell them I've batoned with it and carved up kindling on multiple occasions and have not sharpened it.  They laugh and tell me I'm full of it.

It took me a LONG time to get a good formula for a good HT, Just as my good friend TrentU here lol! I was sending him blades for months for HRC testing before I was able to nail a consistent recipe. Now, 4 years later I have a HRC tester and just occasionally spot check blades to make sure they are in line. I have a good formula, and I am glad people are starting to see it :)
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2015, 11:42:12 AM »
I beat my 3 to death without reservation. I am thinking about sending them back to make pretty again though. I've rubbed mine on the strop a time or two. That's about all the sharpening they've ever needed.  One of them does need a logo.   :chopwood:

Creek

Wonder if my warranty is up  :stir:

Axes Rock!

Offline Red

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2015, 01:09:33 PM »
I beat my 3 to death without reservation. I am thinking about sending them back to make pretty again though. I've rubbed mine on the strop a time or two. That's about all the sharpening they've ever needed.  One of them does need a logo.   :chopwood:

Creek

Wonder if my warranty is up  :stir:

Ship 'em :thumbsup:

Offline trentu

• Whetstone +
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2015, 01:30:28 PM »
Steve's HT is spot on. He has put a lot of time, money and research into perfecting it. I still find myself researching it. :)
Act or be Acted Upon!

Offline Red

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2015, 01:42:34 PM »
Steve's HT is spot on. He has put a lot of time, money and research into perfecting it. I still find myself researching it. :)

You remember those days, don't you :)

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2015, 02:01:01 PM »
I bet being "sub" par takes some effort!  :rofl: :lol:

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline Red

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2015, 02:34:40 PM »
I bet being "sub" par takes some effort!  :rofl: :lol:

Creek

You have no idea how hard it is to live up to those expectations...  :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Offline trentu

• Whetstone +
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2015, 06:27:32 PM »

You remember those days, don't you :)

Some of the best days of my life!
Act or be Acted Upon!

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2015, 06:33:40 PM »
I'm in for one of yours. I've another Bernie blank laying here waiting on me already. I need to fill my knife drawer back up, Christmas wiped me out of extra blades.

There is one in this batch that is one of mine, might be right up your alley, unless you wanna wait for one that you can pick the scales on etc..

I can wait or take one now and another later, not being greedy, am I  :shrug:
I have the scales and I owe you another set for the last favor you done me.
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline Red

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2015, 08:09:36 PM »

Lol, not at all :D So, you have a set of scales you want me to use on yours?

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2015, 06:22:07 AM »

HT is what keeps me humble when I'm playing at making my backyard (mostly file) knives. It's kinda like playing Dr on yourself - you might get the job done, but you're never really quite sure it's done right... :shrug:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline Highlife

• Water Stone
  • Sometimes more is more.
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2015, 01:33:29 PM »
I wanna see that far right one ;)
What's that smell?

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2015, 03:07:24 PM »
I got mine today.  Thank you Steve for an extraordinarily sub-par knife and the "extras".

I couldn't wait to use it so I grabbed a piece of seasoned black locust from my wood pile.

All I can say is "IT CARVES BLACK LOCUST LIKE BUTTER"

And for anyone not familiar with black locust, it dulls out my chainsaw chains fast, the stuff is very hard on tools, but I was getting curls off it with no effort and no change to the shaving sharp edge when I was done.

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2015, 03:27:18 PM »
Subpar my ass.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2015, 03:46:45 PM »

Subpar my ass.

Thinking ya mean way better than "subpar", madmax, at least I think that's what your saying in the quote, and I agree!
:)

I always thought "sub par" meant better than most, like in the game of golf where they set the course to "par" for the amount of strokes it takes most people to do the course, & if you do things better than, or less than "par", like with "birdies", & "eagles" for scoring "sub par", you are "above the rest", or "better than most"... Not for "sub par", to mean, "sub standard"...

So, thinking the way I described it as compared to golf, Red is better than sub par" ,in my book!
:thumbsup:

Anyway...Looks like I am gonna have to just try & get a knife in the lineup for later with ya, Red. When I have more $$ coming in, to let extra $$ go out.
;)

These are going fast it seems. Pretty good deals for those who are getting them.
:D
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Red

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2015, 04:32:25 PM »
I wanna see that far right one ;)

That one is the Bernie Garland Woodlore blade. It's getting the green scales with white liners, true Bernie Style :thumbsup:

Should end up something like this one, but a woodlore blade

Offline Red

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2015, 04:33:31 PM »
I got mine today.  Thank you Steve for an extraordinarily sub-par knife and the "extras".

I couldn't wait to use it so I grabbed a piece of seasoned black locust from my wood pile.

All I can say is "IT CARVES BLACK LOCUST LIKE BUTTER"

And for anyone not familiar with black locust, it dulls out my chainsaw chains fast, the stuff is very hard on tools, but I was getting curls off it with no effort and no change to the shaving sharp edge when I was done.

So glad you are happy with it WB!! Enjoy it brother :D

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2015, 04:35:05 PM »
Sub par means less than satisfactory.  I always thought that Red named it that as a bit of "sarcasm" because his knives are very much better than average. 

Sub par is good in golf though.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/thesaurus/subpar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Red

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2015, 04:39:54 PM »

Subpar my ass.

Thinking ya mean way better than "subpar", madmax, at least I think that's what your saying in the quote, and I agree!

I always thought "sub par" meant better than most, like in the game of golf where they set the course to "par" for the amount of strokes it takes most people to do the course, & if you do things better than, or less than "par", like with "birdies", & "eagles" for scoring "sub par", you are "above the rest", or "better than most"... Not for "sub par", to mean, "sub standard"...

So, thinking the way I described it as compared to golf, Red is better than sub par" ,in my book!

Anyway...Looks like I am gonna have to just try & get a knife in the lineup for later with ya, Red. When I have more $$ coming in, to let extra $$ go out.
;)

These are going fast it seems. Pretty good deals for those who are getting them.

Well JB, it may have been before you showed up here, it was literally 2 days after we started this place, is when that joke started. I was sent a rather nasty email from a certain forum administrator, in which I was told "It is well known that you steal other knife maker's designs and make them your own, and your fit and finish is not up to par".

It was a derogatory email meant to cut deep, explaining my "lack of success" on another forum. So Ron and I decided that I should change my brand to "SubPar Knives", but I never followed through with it.

Anyway, that's where the whole "sub par" thing comes from ;)

I will say this though, EVERY knife that I made and listed for sale, sold. The only one's that didn't sell were knives I didn't make myself.

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #72 on: January 07, 2015, 04:45:02 PM »

Subpar my ass.

;)

Well JB, it may have been before you showed up here, it was literally 2 days after we started this place, is when that joke started. I was sent a rather nasty email from a certain forum administrator, in which I was told "It is well known that you steal other knife maker's designs and make them your own, and your fit and finish is not up to par".

It was a derogatory email meant to cut deep, explaining my "lack of success" on another forum. So Ron and I decided that I should change my brand to "SubPar Knives", but I never followed through with it.

I will say this though, EVERY knife that I made and listed for sale, sold. The only one's that didn't sell were knives I didn't make myself.

And to anyone who did know the "back story" behind "sub-par" let me be completely clear, I am absolutely thrilled with this knife and did not mean to give anyone the idea I was not. 

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2015, 04:46:28 PM »
I believe Red calls his knives 'subpar' because of a reference made about the WORLD'S BEST KNIFE-MAKER  :hail: on another bushtype site that will remain nameless. :-X

:stir:

EDIT:  Sorry Red, I was too slow on the draw!
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Red

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2015, 04:47:50 PM »
I believe Red calls his knives 'subpar' because of a reference made about the WORLD'S BEST KNIFE-MAKER  :hail: on another bushtype site that will remain nameless. :-X

:stir:

EDIT:  Sorry Red, I was too slow on the draw!

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2015, 04:53:38 PM »
hell, I thought it was because of his golf game....  :doh:

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline Red

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2015, 04:58:42 PM »
Round 2 is coming up soon, maybe even tomorrow night (if this ing headache will ever go away)...

This is my 2012 model Woodlore.. Will come complete with sheath and logo etching if preferred.. Only one more of this blade style left, I have since had the profile changed, so anyone who likes the feel of this one should consider it... Sixfooter has laid claim to the very last one already....

Offline Red

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2015, 04:59:16 PM »

Creek

That's why I love you man, you are always good for a laugh :lol:

Offline trentu

• Whetstone +
« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2015, 06:39:26 AM »
Steal others designs and makes them your own. That's funny. I think your knives are "PARFECT"!!!!  :thumbsup:
Act or be Acted Upon!

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2015, 09:50:30 AM »

Well, I do remember the term being tossed around here from back around when I joined, but was not in on the reason behind it. Thanks for letting me in on it now. Funny!

Anyway, I am gonna stick to the golf term for "sub par" as a definition, and what I wrote in my earlier post. BTW...I am not surprised about TradeMarkUSA folks sending you an email like the one you mentioned. Not surprised at all.

Regardless, Thanks for letting me know the "Skinny" on that background stuff, & looking forward to seeing more sharps from ya!

I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2015, 04:42:48 PM »

Lol, not at all :D So, you have a set of scales you want me to use on yours?

Yep, When you get to it. I'll get thm in the mail or if we are getting together soon I'll bring them and let you pick a set for the ones you used on the other Bernie blade.
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2015, 04:49:20 PM »
Gee......and here all of this time I thought sub par was a tribute to me and my 20+ years in Submarines. :rolleyes:

Offline Highlife

• Water Stone
  • Sometimes more is more.
« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2015, 06:57:01 PM »
Can't believe that model changed 2012... How the time has passed. Been too long, my friend
What's that smell?

Offline Red

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2015, 08:13:01 PM »
Can't believe that model changed 2012... How the time has passed. Been too long, my friend

Yes, yes it has.. We should get together sometime soon and make some knives!

Offline Dano

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #84 on: January 09, 2015, 05:39:46 AM »
I always got a kick out of that accusation because their official knife is a woodie clone....which would be, let me see.....a COPY??!!!  I'm sure the success here has made them feel like they crapped on a fan and had it all blow back in their faces LMAO!  Idiots!

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #85 on: January 09, 2015, 06:32:33 AM »
I always got a kick out of that accusation because their official knife is a woodie clone....which would be, let me see.....a COPY??!!!  I'm sure the success here has made them feel like they crapped on a fan and had it all blow back in their faces LMAO!  Idiots!

Sorry Dan, but I trademarked that phrase, so you owe me a dollar if you want to keep using it. 

Now had you said "they crapped on a fan and the turdlys blew back on their faces" I'd probably let it go  >:D

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #86 on: January 09, 2015, 07:19:11 AM »

Creek

Wait... Red plays golf?  Jeez.  Does he have a tennis racket too?  >:D
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #87 on: January 09, 2015, 08:12:48 AM »
This is when I wish I had a little "train flying off the tracks" emoticon...what the hell does this have to do with Red finally making knives again? I need my freekin' stainless bushtool!!  :rofl:

Creek  :chopwood:
Axes Rock!

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2015, 09:06:27 AM »
Think he sold it. He doesn't give a ...
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2015, 09:49:07 AM »

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #90 on: January 09, 2015, 10:15:18 AM »
Nice, Creek! LOL

Is it trademarked?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #91 on: January 09, 2015, 10:30:30 AM »
awright... Red might nought be as sensitive as ya think.  Hush is.

Holy Cow!  2 fer ther price of 1.

Don't worry boys.  They can beat me silly with my Charlie probs...
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #92 on: January 09, 2015, 11:10:25 AM »
This is when I wish I had a little "train flying off the tracks" emoticon...what the hell does this have to do with Red finally making knives again? I need my freekin' stainless bushtool!!  :rofl:

Creek  :chopwood:

We're distracting him for you.

Offline SIXFOOTER

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
  • Wandering Smartass
« Reply #93 on: January 09, 2015, 11:20:34 AM »
Round 2 is coming up soon, maybe even tomorrow night (if this ing headache will ever go away)...

This is my 2012 model Woodlore.. Will come complete with sheath and logo etching if preferred.. Only one more of this blade style left, I have since had the profile changed, so anyone who likes the feel of this one should consider it... Sixfooter has laid claim to the very last one already....

Looking forward to getting my hands on it too
Maker of all things Archaic, Hoarder of Gear and Fluent speaker of BS
Sixfooter got bit by a snake like that once, then after 4 agonizing days... The snake finally died....

Offline Red

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #94 on: January 09, 2015, 12:20:01 PM »
You guys are cracking me up lol!

Offline Dano

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #95 on: January 09, 2015, 11:10:21 PM »

Sorry Dan, but I trademarked that phrase, so you owe me a dollar if you want to keep using it. 

Now had you said "they crapped on a fan and the turdlys blew back on their faces" I'd probably let it go  >:D

LMAO....Turdley.... I almost messed myself on that one!

Offline Red

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #96 on: January 10, 2015, 02:25:10 PM »

Offline diogenes

• Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #97 on: January 10, 2015, 02:38:54 PM »
"Go away," Chuang Tzu said. "I'm dragging my tail in the mud."

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #98 on: January 10, 2015, 05:27:58 PM »
Sweet! I really like the light colored liner with the green scales. Are both knives the same? The pics make the grinds look a little different. Both look great.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline Red

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #99 on: January 10, 2015, 08:39:56 PM »
Sweet! I really like the light colored liner with the green scales. Are both knives the same? The pics make the grinds look a little different. Both look great.

Creek

Nope, the green one is a Bernie Garland blade, with my handle.