Author Topic: Cattaraugus 225Q  (Read 905 times)

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
Cattaraugus 225Q
« on: January 31, 2018, 08:01:20 PM »
Finally sprung for a Quartermaster. I've looked at several at gun shows, looked at a bunch on eBay, and even bid on a few. Won the bid on this on Sunday and got it in the mail today.

It's no museum piece but it has a nice blade and the leather handle and sheath are intact. I've seen them in worse condition go for more than this one. It didn't take me long to cut myself with it so it has been christened.

I'm already looking for an upgrade...
"In the school of the woods, there is no graduation day."  Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
Re: Cattaraugus 225Q
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 08:20:14 PM »
That?s nice looking, congrats!  There?s something familiar about that knife but I can?t put my finger on it at the moment

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 08:23:04 PM »
I've always admired that name. Should have given it to a son. I never owned one of their knives, but they sure made an excellent razor.

What is an upgrade? You mean you're not satisfied with the knife? You are going to upgrade your stone ya got there? Of course Pike is one of the great names of old timey hones. What kind, grade of grit is that one.

The Cat looks only a month old to me. Looks fun to use
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 08:40:16 PM »
That?s nice looking, congrats!  There?s something familiar about that knife but I can?t put my finger on it at the moment
Uhh, you didn't just sell it on eBay did you? haha

I've always admired that name. Should have given it to a son. I never owned one of their knives, but they sure made an excellent razor.

What is an upgrade? You mean you're not satisfied with the knife? You are going to upgrade your stone ya got there? Of course Pike is one of the great names of old timey hones. What kind, grade of grit is that one.

The Cat looks only a month old to me. Looks fun to use
Yep, it's a cool name.

I'm happy with the knife - I'll just be on the lookout for a another one to maybe upgrade.

Not sure what the grit is on the stone. The box just says course & fine. I've only ever used the fine side. It's a great stone.
"In the school of the woods, there is no graduation day."  Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 08:57:07 PM »
Yeah, that?s it lmao!!!

No, honestly it seems like someone in my family had one when i was younger, but I just can?t remember, yet it really seems familiar.  I?m old.....

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 09:04:42 PM »
Nice knife Sarge.  I have a PAL36 WWII Navy issue.  Always liked the name of the one you bought too. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 10:38:00 PM »
They're a tough customer, from what I've read about them.....even tougher than most of the combat knives.  They could take lots of abuse from the quartermaster who used them for everything from a hammer to a prybar for open shipping crates.

Congrats on the win, Sarge! :cheers:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 06:51:59 AM »
The knife is a beast but it feels good in hand. The heavy pommel gives it a decent balance.

I like the PAL36, too. I've looked at them on eBay also.