Author Topic: Strickle?  (Read 329 times)

Offline Pete Bog

• Whetstone +
Strickle?
« on: August 29, 2022, 12:58:28 PM »
   Came across a new word I wasn't familiar with, strickle. Turns out, it's actually a name for at least 3 different tools. All handmade. The one of most practical use, is in the sharpening of a scythe blade.
   A piece of green oak or limewood is carved out to function as a sharpening steel might function for sharpening knives. The wooden tool is tapped against the teeth of a handsaw to create dimples. It is then smeared with fat or tallow and sprinkled with sand. It is then rubbed along the edge of the scythe blade to remove the folded over wire edge.
Stevetomlincrafts.c o.uk/sharpening-and-strickles/
   In the comment section at the bottom of the article, reader comments (in part) "then the men kept sweeting up the blades with strckles. it was just the thing for fettling up a scythe blade".
    This was from an Oct 1957 edition of "" Cumbria Magazine"
   Old time tools and skills. I guess some of the old time reenactors  use soap now because it doesn't go rancid and smells better.

Offline Pete Bog

• Whetstone +
Re: Strickle?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2022, 01:16:28 PM »
   They also mention a "Sandhorn". Apparently similar to a powder horn, it was used to carry the tallow and sand. Slung over the mowers shoulder by a string.

Offline crashdive123

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2022, 04:23:47 AM »
New word for me as well.  Did some reading on it and enjoyed the learning thanks.  Here's a good picture of one.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wooden_strickle,_Hereford_Museum_and_Art_Gallery_-_DSCF1937.JPG

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2022, 05:08:55 AM »
New word for me as well.  Did some reading on it and enjoyed the learning thanks.  Here's a good picture of one.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wooden_strickle,_Hereford_Museum_and_Art_Gallery_-_DSCF1937.JPG

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :cheers:
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline boomer

• Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2022, 07:42:27 AM »
New to me as well. Good to learn something about something old. Thank you.