General Discussion > Food and Cooking

Just Recipes

(1/43) > >>

PetrifiedWood:
Post your recipes in this thread. You are welcome to start a thread to discuss a recipe. If you want it to be easily found, post it here as well. Please limit posts in this thread to recipes only, and discuss the recipes in their own threads.

WoodsWoman:
Low Carb BBQ Sauce Recipe
by Half Axe

This recipe was given to me by a friend.  A tablespoon of this sauce has about 3 g of carbs compared to the 9 to 15 g you find in commercial sauces.

2 T butter
1 clove garlic or 1 t garlic powder
1/4 c. finely chopped onion or 1 T dried minced onion
1 T lemon juice
1 c. tomato sauce
1/3 c. Splenda
1 T molasses
2 T Worcestershire sauce
1 T chili powder
1 T vinegar
1 t coarse ground black pepper
1/4 t salt

Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 5 -10 minutes, stirring occasionally; remove from heat and let stand.  I usually double the batch and keep some in a pint canning jar with lid in the fridge - it will keep for a couple of months, but it rarely lasts that long at my house.

I use the sauce to make BBQ Beef or Venison.  I take a 3 lb. beef or venison roast, tenderize it with a fork, season with salt and pepper, coat with olive oil, place in a cast iron pot with lid, and cook in the oven at 250oF for 4 to 5 hours, until the internal temperature reaches 195oF.  Use two forks to shred the meat, then mix the sauce in to a good consistency - meat well covered, but not runny.  I haven't tried this recipe with pork, but others have reported to me that it is very good for pulled pork.

WoodsWoman:
Rosemary Rice
By Old Philosopher

I have to throw this recipe in the mix. It's my son's favorite way to fix rice.

1 cu              -- long grain rice (not instant)
2 1/4            -- cu water
1 - 1 1/2 Tbs -- fresh rosemary leaves, slightly chopped, not too small
2 tsp             --cooking oil, or 1 Tbs shortening

All measurements except the rice and water are just guidelines.

In a sauce pan (or billy) heat the oil until it starts to swirl.
Toss in the rosemary and give it just a second to sizzle and toast. (don't burn it!)
Toss in the rice. Stir constantly until the rice is coated with the oil, hot throughout, and begins to toast, or becomes transparent.
Toss in the cold water and stand back! It's going to sputter. The cold water hits the hot rice and cracks the grains. This tenderizes the grains, and lets them absorb more water.
Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring to avoid sticking to the bottom of the pan.
Cover tightly and move the pan to low heat where the temperature will stay just below a low simmer.
Let it sit there for 30-40 minutes to steam.
Remove from the heat, remove the lid, fluff the rice with a fork and replace the cover until ready to eat.
Salt, butter and pepper to taste.

Old Philosopher:
One of my favorite snacks, or side dishes. I learned this recipe with dill and pepper only, but added the garlic to suite my taste buds.

Garlic/Dill Pasta

1 10oz-12oz package (~2 cu) of garden rotini pasta (the spiral stuff with differnt flavors/colors)
1 Tbs dill weed (more, or less to taste)
2 tsp dry granulated garlic (again, to taste)
Fresh cracked black pepper/Salt (to taste)
1 cup (approx) mayonaise

Cook the pasta per package directions until al dente. Rinse under cold water to stop the cooking and cool the pasta. Place in a mixing bowl and add the mayonaise a bit at a time. Toss to coat. Add more mayo until it's just slightly wetter than you think is enough, because the pasta will absorb some liquid after sitting. Don't be afraid to go over the 1 cup suggestion, either. Add the dill weed, and garlic and mix throughly without breaking up the pasta. Add the pepper a pinch at a time until you get the taste you want. Add a good pinch of salt, but don't over do it. Let your guests salt and pepper more to suit their own tastes.

Most all of my recipes are going to be "to taste", because that's how I cook. Recipe quantities are a guide, and more or less of something is a matter of personal taste. A recipe that calls for "3 cloves of garlic" usually gets 5, or 6 in our household.

Yeoman:
Pea Soup for Camping (makes 1-2 servings)
This is a favourite of mine when out in chilly weather.
I normally cook this up in a small coffee can or in a 2L camping pot on a low fire.

1/2 Cup split yellow peas
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cumin
3 whole cloves garlic
4 pieces of bacon frozen
3-5 cups water

At home: place first four ingredients in a zip lock bag and put the frozen bacon in a separate bag inside the first bag.

At the camp site, boil 3 cups water using your preferred method. Cube the bacon and add it to the water and bring back to a boil. Add the remaining ingredients and return to boil again. Simmer the soup for 30-60 minutes adding water as necessary. Stir occasionally. it is ready when the peas are soft and it reaches the consistency of semi-runny oatmeal.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version