Author Topic: Peening?  (Read 615 times)

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
Peening?
« on: February 27, 2017, 07:21:41 PM »
Have you ever peened  a scythe or sickle blade?

I don't have a scythe but did go off and buy an inexpensive sickle and used a file an Arkansas hone to sharpen it. Looking online I found a few types of natural scythe whetstones and couldn't resist adding those to my rock pile. Still in hands of the post office

Peening to thin and work harden the metal is intriguing, looks like "fun". Is anyone using a scythe?

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: Peening?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 07:59:58 PM »
I have one but have found my string trimmer is much faster and easier.  I do use a sickle now and then just for fun.   :-\
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 08:22:34 PM »
I remember reading long ago, that American scythes are designed to be whetted with a stone.  Only the European scythes and sickles are sharpened by using the special little dome-topped anvil and peining hammer.  The sharpening method is determined mainly by the thickness of the blade design and hardness of the blade when it was manufactured.  The European blades are much more malleable and depend on the peining process to draw out & work-harden the edge for durability.  Peining a hardened American-made scythe will only cause cracks to form before a sharp edge is achieved. 

That's all I've got.....just pulled it out of the foggy recesses of my fevered brain. :P
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Online PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 09:17:17 PM »
Interesting!

I thought this was going to be about finishing brass and nickel-silver by peening it.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 10:04:27 PM »
I used to swing one of those man killers in my earlier years, but gasoline and now lithium battery powered scythes are more to my liking.    About the only time I drag it out now is on New Year's Eve when I don my black robe and clear the way for the new baby! :D

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 10:46:28 PM »
I have doubts about my commitment to any serious mowing.

I've wanted to make a wooden hay rake for some time, just never needed it. Things may be coming together without a true planning stage.

https://m.

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 03:21:18 PM »
I used to swing one of those man killers in my earlier years, but gasoline and now lithium battery powered scythes are more to my liking.    About the only time I drag it out now is on New Year's Eve when I don my black robe and clear the way for the new baby! :D

The only thing that comes to mind of man-killer status is a brush axe, bank or ditch tool sometimes called that too I think. I've never used one very much, just enough to know I really didn't like it; though I was just a kid and it felt real heavy.

I don't really care for string trimmers, haven't used one in years. It took buying several pair at estate sales but eventually I found a pair of offset garden scissors that work really good. It doesn't take long to barber around where the mower won't go.

Thanks for the heads up on the difference between American and European scythe blades. I have not heard that before.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 05:34:52 PM »
Here's a couple of pretty good videos on proper use of the American scythe.  I never got the chance to mow grass with ours.....Dad always had me hacking down head-high hemp and sunflowers with the danged thing! >:(    It's STILL a man-killer to me! :chopwood:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 05:48:48 PM »
That is impressive.  Only three things you need to know; set up, set up, set up.  Nice videos.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 07:25:30 PM »
Sounds nice. Doesn't look all that demanding. Grass and stuff grows when it's hot outside though, don't it? :(

A wood snath looks better hanging on the wall.

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 10:48:32 PM »
I think I'm going to give this guy a call.Never phoned a foreign country before: hope it's easy

http://scytheworks.ca/catalogue.html

Looks like he's a good carpenter and he knows the Magna Grecia- that's how I picked him from the  other sellers :shocked:

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 07:54:06 AM »
A couple of observations:  First of all & apparently, I had no idea what I was talking about in my first post. :-[ :P  :lol:     Secondly & thankfully, there are fanatics in every field of endeavor out there that DO seem to know what they're talking about!    Like I said in my first post, all I had was what I remembered from reading somewhere long ago in the pre-internet days......probably from one of Stewart Brand's Whole Earth Catalogs or maybe something from one of the various magazines published by the old hippies at The Mother Earth News.  :shrug:       Lastly, I learned a lot from that website & I now know more than I ever wanted to about scythes, but one thing hasn't changed..........I still think they're a man-killer! :coffee:  :rofl:

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 09:23:55 AM »
Before his recent passing, I had a friend in Falls City, Nebraska who had been a working blacksmith for over 50 years.  He told me he was the last smith in Nebraska that would still peen harden scythes and sickles.  The man's name is Junior Strasil and I have two hammers he made with his touchmark.  They are treasures and I use them most of the time when I am at the forge.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 09:30:39 AM by Quenchcrack »
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2017, 03:54:31 PM »
Nice story QC. I appreciate your sharing it here. Are those smithing hammers or more specific peening hammers, or did he not get that specific?

The narrow anvil I ordered is not as fancy as the one with the helping hand and fingers, nor the jig type. I notice now the face does not look as polished and appears to not have the radius. My sickle is the small size Falchi. The site link says they are pre-peened. I didn't see anything like that on the one I got. It was dull and pre-ground only. When the anvil comes in I will peen it and see what happens.

I don't think it will be that hard. The typical new scythe aficionado, at least my impression thus far, are not much accustomed to manipulating hand tools. Watching a few vids though, haven't seen one yet that can really tell you when to stop, what's good enough or exactly right.

No worries Wolfy. We'll keep it to ourselves.

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2017, 08:25:37 PM »
They are general smithing hammers.  One is a 2# diagonal peen and the other a 1# cross peen.  I just remembered he made me a 3# diagonal peen too.  I dont use that one much anymore due to noodle arm.
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2017, 03:44:01 AM »
Anvil and hammer arrived. Found a log end and peened a couple passes. It wasn't a smooth affair. I had to back up, go over before advancing and made a couple mis directed blows, making tiny dents near the edge.

The top side had the main bevel ground in so that's what I peened. Then I watched a vid and that guy did the other side. No worries. The video had some nice close ups of his anvil. So I drug out the angle grinder and found a near spent flap wheel and dressed the anvil to a more uniform and less pointy radius, and then polished the hammer faces as well.

Later today, I'll come up with a little better trial stump to set the anvil, flip the sickle over, and hunt for something green.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2017, 09:20:49 AM »
In the neither here or there sort of observation I was watching a movie the other night and darned if there wasn't a blacksmith peening a scythe at the anvil in one scene.  Wouldn't have noticed it except for this thread.  See how this forum is educational? 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2017, 12:06:48 PM »
What movie?

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2017, 02:36:19 PM »
I was looking for something on Netflix I think.  Anyway I don't know what it was, a western, and when the guy rode into town he went to the blacksmith shop and that fellow was peening a scythe.  Sorry, my short term memory is poor. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2017, 06:16:22 PM »
i have a new scythe made in austria
never had to peen it though.

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2017, 06:29:33 PM »
Because(?)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2017, 05:50:55 PM »
because- it's new and i've never used it.

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2017, 09:30:39 PM »
I was going to guess it was literally New.

Never had to peen it" led me to believe you have been using it though.

Do you have snath as well? What size is your blade?