Author Topic: New Moras: Initial Impressions  (Read 434 times)

Offline wturiel

• Whetstone +
    • Round Rock Outdoors
New Moras: Initial Impressions
« on: February 28, 2017, 10:11:15 AM »
So I finally had some extra cash lying around and decided to get the new Moras I have been seeing on the inter webs, the one from last year and the two new ones. Its been a while since I did a product review and I though I would like to try it out. Here are my initial impression after a weekend out with the boyscouts. Also they are all stainless and I will not spend any time here debating the benefits of stainless vs carbon steel.

Garberg: This is a stout knife and you can definitely feel its weight in your hand. It is not too heavy to use and I did not find myself getting tired with it. Honestly I like it better than my Brothers of Bushcraft knife from TOPS which is more expensive. This has a good weight and feel to it for a full tang knife. It made feather sticks with no trouble, split small logs via battening without a problem and overall performed all the task I would expect a full tang knife to do. I found the handle to be very comfortable and easy to use. Honestly I think this will become my new primary blade. It also threw very well though it balance point is not quite at center, the only reason I know this is that I was running the Tomahawk and Knife throwing station for the camp out and figured why not, and once i found its balance point it threw well every time. I don't recommend it as a throwing knife but in a pinch it will work.

Kansbol: This was a great blade and has replaced my bushcraft black as my primary bushcraft knife and I absolutely loved the bushcraft black. It has a similar blade size to the Garberg but is thinner and has a slightly different grind profile similar to the Mora 2000. The boys got their fire going for the night but did not have enough small sticks, I grabbed a medium size piece of Ash Juniper about two inches think and started in on it making large shaving with this knife as it was what I had on me at the time and it ate through the wood like it was butter. It was great at notching and better than the Garberg at making feather sticks. It also is very light for its size and I honestly forgot I was wearing it on my belt.

Eldris: I have the knife and the neck knife kit and wore it as such. This has a short blade only 2.2 inches and it works great for its intended tasks, making feather sticks, cutting cord and is an exceptional carving knife. It has a nice beefy handle which does not tire out your hand like some small neck knives do and is very comfortable to use for an extended amount of time. As a backup blade or a neck knife its great however I would not consider it a primary blade as it is too short to do many tasks including food prep.

All the knives threw sparks wonderfully and worked great as a scraper for making tinder as they have a very sharp 90 degree spine and I would recommend any of them as a bushcraft knife and the Garberg would make a fair general survival knife. I will upload some pics when I get them taken but I wanted to give you guys an initial impression. I will probably be selling some of my higher end knives the I don't ever use and these will become my mainstays.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 10:02:13 AM by wturiel »
Exploring texas bushcraft
www.roundrockoutdoo rs.com

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: New Moras: Initial Impressions
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 10:33:33 AM »
Thanks.  I have not seen any of those and will be interested in the photos you post. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 11:03:16 AM by wolfy »
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 11:30:40 AM »
 :thumbsup:
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 01:29:59 PM »
I like the look of the Garberg.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 01:52:04 PM »
So do I. :cheers:    I bought one of those Mora Robust knives when they first came out, thinking that they would......well, just be more 'robust' than my cheap little Companion. :P

I loved the feel of the handle on the little Companion, but never warmed to the feel of the handle on the Robust.  To me, it seems like the handle where your index finger would be is too small and the rear where your pinkie would go is too large......just doesn't feel right to me.  :coffee:

See what I mean?  :shrug:

http://i32.servimg.com/u/f32/11/02/43/91/robust10.jpg

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 04:18:49 PM »
I want to get my hands on a Garberg sometime. I've grown to really like my Moras. I have several now and use them often.

Thanks for the review too.  :cheers:

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline wturiel

• Whetstone +
    • Round Rock Outdoors
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 10:02:34 AM »
Updated the original post to include photos.

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 10:16:58 AM »
In your pic the Gar looks like it might have some deformation along the edge.
 True or false?

Offline wturiel

• Whetstone +
    • Round Rock Outdoors
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 11:46:01 AM »
In your pic the Gar looks like it might have some deformation along the edge.
 True or false?
Its the bad lighting the blade edge is perfect on it. I need to get some better quality shots but thats what I had time for last night with my phone.

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 02:42:01 PM »
That's good news. Thanks for the review WT.

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 02:18:59 PM »
Thanks for the review. Like my Moras as well. Need to try these models.
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline wturiel

• Whetstone +
    • Round Rock Outdoors
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 12:32:11 PM »
Minor Update on the Kansbol, I have been using it for a couple of weeks now in the kitchen for food prep. It functions very well, obviously it slices, it dices but it also spreads very well, spreading mayo and PB&J like a champ. Which makes me think this knife is probably going to be almost the perfect all around utility knife in camp. It actually beats out my mora companion or Bushcraft black when it comes to the important job of spreading peanut butter.

Offline theJman

• Mill File
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 04:12:41 PM »
It actually beats out my mora companion or Bushcraft black when it comes to the important job of spreading peanut butter.

It's good to see you have the important things considered.   :)

Offline theJman

• Mill File
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2017, 04:15:45 PM »
I want to get my hands on a Garberg sometime.

Mine turned out to be better than anticipated.  I tend to favor larger knives, but the Garberg worked surprisingly well.  My only real gripe was that scraper pommel; it sounds nice on paper, but for me it proved more of an impediment.  My hands are larger than most peoples though, so it might not be as annoying for others as it was for me.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2017, 04:33:18 PM »
A couple of minutes at the grinder would fix that! ;D :cheers:

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2017, 11:53:12 AM »
I still can't find a single reason for buying a Mora.   No problem with other folks liking them, but they just don't do a thing for me.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2017, 01:45:09 PM »
After pricing the Garberg, it's getting up into territory that defeats the purpose of buying Mora. It's a nice looking knife, and I'd love to try one out, but I just don't see the extra $60 or so worth of value versus something like a Mora Companion. If they were $25, I'd be all over them. For $75, a lot more options from a lot of manufacturers open up.

I'll keep an eye on them to see if the price changes after everyone who wants one has bought one.

Offline wturiel

• Whetstone +
    • Round Rock Outdoors
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2017, 02:14:22 PM »
After pricing the Garberg, it's getting up into territory that defeats the purpose of buying Mora. It's a nice looking knife, and I'd love to try one out, but I just don't see the extra $60 or so worth of value versus something like a Mora Companion. If they were $25, I'd be all over them. For $75, a lot more options from a lot of manufacturers open up.

I'll keep an eye on them to see if the price changes after everyone who wants one has bought one.
I think that most people see Moras as a back up knife and the Garberg is more of a primary blade, yes there are other knives that do what it does and some are more expensive but I am glad to see them moving into a new product area.  Are they for everyone, no but is it a good knife for the money, I have to say yes for what it does.  Of course when you start spending 60 plus dollars on a blade you should be picky and find something that really works for you, I am glad to use it but it won't be for everyone.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2017, 02:35:11 PM »
I still can't find a single reason for buying a Mora.   No problem with other folks liking them, but they just don't do a thing for me.

To be perfectly honest....they don't do much for me, either.  :rolleyes:    I hate the 'Scandi' grind for most things I use a knife for and I seldom have it with me when when the opportunity for performing a task that they are designed for arises.  :shrug:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2017, 05:39:55 PM »
I have a Mora Companion (I think) that I bought just to see how they were.  It is easy to sharpen, holds a good edge, and weighs close to 3 oz.  Doesn't baton, but neither do I. 

There are a lot of "better" knives around and the Lord knows I have a few dozen of them.  I don't use the Mora much but once in awhile get it out and do something with it. 

Mora can move into different areas of design and construction and materials but they better make these changes result in a lot better knife than the basic models because as the price goes up the market will demand it.  For me they have long made the best "cheap" knife.  If they want my business on these new, higher priced models I want better steel, full tangs, choice of grinds, better handle material, and better sheaths.

(Mark Twain)

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2017, 08:20:10 PM »
Is there another production, more or less "full tang", scandi grind knife in the Garberg price point ( 70usd on amazon)

Nothing comes to mind. The Helle Temagami. Seems similar, but more expensive. Some Enzo might be close.