Author Topic: Tell us about the last restaurant where you dined, fast food excluded.  (Read 214 times)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
 I am always looking to find new places to eat, and it's fun to hear where other people enjoy dining out when they get the chance.

So what's the most recent restaurant you visited, and what did you order while you were there? Did you enjoy it, and would you go back? Would you order the same thing, or try something different?

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Maria Elena's Mexican restaurant in Gillette Wyoming is a great place to eat.  Not fancy, not upscale by any measure.  They serve great food and I usually eat huevos rancheros with corn tortillas.  The only downside to this place besides the fact that their non smoking section is pretty small is that it is 110 miles from my house.

I eat there every time I am in Gillette, usually eat the same thing noted above, and always plan my trips so I get there when they are open.  Don't go on Sunday, they are closed.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
http://www.sandollarrestaurantjax.com/

I had a cup of crab bisque and the seafood salad (garden salad topped with large mound of shrimp, scallops and crab).  We don't eat out often but this is a place that we enjoy.  Sitting outside on the water makes a really good meal taste even better.

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
I'll have to try the sandollar Dave. I ate at the seafood Kitchen on Atlantic and it was a great place with good food and service.

I have to eat out almost everyday, being out-of-town most weeks. I try to find a mom & pops place and ask the local folks where to try.

Last nite the wife wanted to eat at Carrabba's Italian Grill. I had the chicken soup, salad, and the Johnny, chicken & steak combow. chased it down with Sangria. good meal and service.
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
Private Property.  Housed in an huge, old home.  Guessing the home was built in the early 1900s.  Menu is a fusion of Cajun and country.  I usually get the 16 oz. blackened ribeye, but their blackened pork chops, redfish, she crab soup, and everything else we've ever had there has been excellent as is the service.

Edit for wolfy:

Private Property is in Lexington, SC.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 06:21:34 PM by imnukensc »
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
These places sound great, but most of you guys aren't telling us where they're at.....doesn't do us any good if we can't find them. :'(
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
I'll have to try the sandollar Dave. I ate at the seafood Kitchen on Atlantic and it was a great place with good food and service.

I have to eat out almost everyday, being out-of-town most weeks. I try to find a mom & pops place and ask the local folks where to try.

Last nite the wife wanted to eat at Carrabba's Italian Grill. I had the chicken soup, salad, and the Johnny, chicken & steak combow. chased it down with Sangria. good meal and service.

There is another place that we want to check out called Chowder Teds, not too far from the Sand Dollar.  We have heard many good stories about it.  It was destroyed during Hurricane Matthew, but they are rebuilding.  I hope they don't decide to go "too fancy" on the re-build (they probably won't). 

From the reports - on top of great food, you have to check to see if they are open.  Sometimes they feel like going fishing.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Crash told us about the Sandollar.  It wasn't far down the road from the campground.  The crab bisque was unbelievable.  Fried shrimp and oysters were outstanding.  We ate there twice in 6 days.  We owe you one for the recommendation man.

Sandollar from the ferry just outside Mayport NS just outside Jax.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
Recently dined at the Pottery House Caf? at the Old Mill district in Pigeon Forge, TN. I've driven by it for years but never tried it.

http://www.old-mill.com/info/cafe

It's in a touristy area but not a tourist trap. Great food and reasonably priced big ol' servings. Steaks, burgers, comfort foods, house baked breads, homemade desserts, etc.

I had a BLT with pimento cheese and fried green tomatoes on grilled sour dough bread. Holy moly!

Offline Orbean

• Whetstone +
http://www.sadiesofnewmexico.com. The best new mexician in the city.
Nice matters

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
Re: Tell us about the last restaurant where you dined, fast food excluded.
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 03:30:25 PM »
Now I'm thinking of a couple chilis rellenos! :drool:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 04:58:39 PM »
I guess we can post more than one restaurant although in this case it wasn't the last place I ate.

http://michaelskitchen.com/

Michaels is in Taos New Mexico and it is pretty good.  Lots of choices and best of all an in house bakery that makes some really delightful stuff.  Go early as the baked goods out the door fast every day.

Mexican food is great, but they also have wonderful breakfasts and lots of other stuff for dinner and supper.  (that is lunch and dinner if you live in the city). 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 05:10:14 PM »
I guess we can post more than one restaurant although in this case it wasn't the last place I ate.

Michaels is in Taos New Mexico and it is pretty good.  Lots of choices and best of all an in house bakery that makes some really delightful stuff.  Go early as the baked goods out the door fast every day.

Mexican food is great, but they also have wonderful breakfasts and lots of other stuff for dinner and supper.  (that is lunch and dinner if you live in the city). 
:lol:  That's quite a coincidence........ Heather & I ate there on a Sunday evening last Fall on our vacation!   It was the only restaurant in town that was open that night and fortunately it was really good, but as you can imagine, packed to the rafters with hungry diners! :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 06:04:38 PM »
Neat!  Did you happen to stay at the Taos Inn or maybe that place a bit north of Michaels on the other side of the road?
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 06:17:26 PM »
You are now testing my memory beyond its limits. :P :lol:    I think we stayed in the Hampton Inn that night because Heather had 'points' for a free stay. :shrug:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2017, 06:48:53 PM »
 :thumbsup:
(Mark Twain)

Offline Orbean

• Whetstone +
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2017, 05:01:25 AM »

I know this place great food and the locals love it.
Nice matters