Author Topic: Took a stroll  (Read 1885 times)

Offline pete28

• Water Stone
Took a stroll
« on: January 05, 2015, 02:42:22 PM »
Been a long time since I've been on here and this is only my 3rd post but I just had to share. I live in the middle of nowhere on an 11 acre piece of property. I am always doing something outside and walk around a bit but today was a bit different. I simply kind of zigzagged throughout my property. I could not believe the amount of things,(plants,mushrooms, and critters), that I have never noticed before. Mushrooms everywhere of every shape and size were the main thing along with a small buck and a doe. Also found a clump of bear grass.The one day I did not have my camera on me!I thought I knew my property well but was delighted to see that there were so many new things to see!
The more you look with your eyes the less you will truly see.

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
Re: Took a stroll
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 02:45:42 PM »
Sounds like you had a great day exploring your property. Looking forward to some pics next time. Its always neat to see different terrain where our members live.
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 02:59:39 PM »
I agree.  Beargrass, huh?  You don't live around my neck-o-the-woods then.....where DO you live, Pete? :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 03:03:49 PM »
  Wolfy, I could let Pete answer himself, but since I am here & just looked...He's in Fla.. I had to go look at his "introduction post" to find out though I had the same thought as you did when he mentioned the flora types there at this time of year.
;)

I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline pete28

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 03:21:51 PM »
I will definitely take some pictures tomorrow as low and behold I actually have 2 days off in a row! I live in North Central Florida about 20 minutes north of Lake City and an hour north of Gainesville. I normally always look at the ground and up in the trees kind of just scanning to see whats out. Plants I am pretty good at but mushrooms definitely not. I saw a bunch in the spring, summer, and fall but today had me absolutely floored. I was actually looking for a few more of the ones I found in mid-summer. A friend of mine called them turkey tails. They were a dark brown and extremely dry. On one side it was stiff kind of like a boot polish brush. I only wanted it to try out as a coal carrier. Worked pretty good. Sorry for the ramble just so much stuff to see.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 03:36:33 PM »
  Apologies Pete, I should have commented on your OP first ,but I forgot as I was called away in the middle of that post above. Thanks for mentioning your day trip & glad to hear you are having fun on your little side trips when ya have free time! Please post up as much as ya can, as most of us like the trip reports that folks share.
 :)

BTW...That one mushroom/fungi your friend called," Turkey tail"... Its' name reminds me of a Dryad Saddle, or what is called around here a, "pheasants back" mushroom. Edible, if it is a dryad saddle , but the young fresh ones are tastier than the older ones. We usually collect the dryad saddles in the Spring around here. Might be handy to get a mushroom guide if you are interested, and maybe your organization has a local biologist/plant person. Ours around here look kinda like this file pic:

Thanks again for sharing your description of your trip!
 :)
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline pete28

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 03:57:45 PM »
No worries Mn. I am in search of a good mushroom book.I have one but it covers ones from my home state of CT. There are some similar ones here in Florida but not enough. Luckily where I work I have quite a few friends that are biologists. However most aren't too familiar with mushrooms. What I mean is they can identify a good amount but do not have experience eating them or using them. I will definitely put up pictures tomorrow and definite hiking trip details!

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 04:31:00 PM »
FLA huh? that's too bad, the nearest member to you is going to be at a minimum... a thousand miles away,   ;)

It's always pretty cool when you come across things you never noticed before in an area that you are familiar with.
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline pete28

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 05:11:38 PM »
Lol very true zammer!

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 06:47:33 PM »
Pete, you've got a few members fairly close to you.  I'm about an hour from you.  Make sure you check out the Florida section near the bottom of the forum - we try and stay pretty active.

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 07:25:36 PM »
I think he needs 2 more post to see the local sections.
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 08:42:38 PM »
I can wander all over my place and find............sno w, trees, and animal tracks.  No mushrooms, no grass, no visible rocks.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)