Author Topic: ATV riders, what's in your emergency kit?  (Read 1153 times)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
ATV riders, what's in your emergency kit?
« on: June 05, 2015, 10:50:24 PM »
After taking a ride last weekend on a borrowed ATV, it got me thinking about the possibility of getting stuck or a breakdown. We definitely had no cell phone service for much of the trip. It is said that you can travel farther in one hour on an ATV than you can in a day on foot.

For those of you who use ATVs to get "out there", what special items do you carry, just in case?

We have done the survival kit item discussion before, but ATVs are a bit different in that you can go a lot farther from civilization and the possibility of self rescue, but you can also carry a lot more cargo than you can in a typical backpack.

So given these special considerations, what would you add to a regular survival kit to tailor it for this specific application?

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: ATV riders, what's in your emergency kit?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 02:23:20 PM »
I don't usually go to far from home but I carry a length of nylon winch cable to add to my winch line if I need more length.  I use that anti-flat juice in my tires, and I carry a small set of jumper cables on my new one as it doesn't have a pull starter  (if I am alone then that is no good).

A small tool kit, spare plug, a flat fix kit, a few C02 cartridges for airing up tires, and fuses always go along.  I would like to add a set of tire chains too. 

On a really long trip I might add a few other parts.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
Re: ATV riders, what's in your emergency kit?
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 10:26:48 AM »
Actually was looking at that while putting a battery in the newer 4 wheeler.
Mostly used around "The Place" as there is no level ground unless you make your own...

The are a few local trails along the river.....and a "Slow moving farmers vehicle triangle" on the rear rack gets me down the roads for a ways...mostly....LO L

Has a pull cord that you can get at easy, generally starts with one pull.....

I do have like saddle tank bags on it that have some gear...., pruning shears, fencing tools, several ratchet straps, and tow line.....on board tool kit and spare plug, in a med scrip bottle in cotton balls....tire gauge.
Had a plug get flattened out some from banging around....and cotton balls helps with fire in necessary.

Zip lock has couple of plastic contractor bags, Bic, match case, matches and a couple of tea candles, a cheapo "buck style" knife, leather gloves......full water bottle.

Milk crate has a air compressor, got a slow leak some where,.... only seems to leak in cold weather.
Bunch of bungees, chunk of 2X4 (wheel chuck and fire wood)....all covered up with a GI pup tent shelter half.....cover in rainy weather...or what ever.

That's pretty much it....any other gear would be carried on a "This Mission" only.....
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much