Author Topic: Tent Deal at Walmart  (Read 571 times)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Tent Deal at Walmart
« on: July 21, 2017, 02:05:36 PM »
I saw this on line and couldn't resist.  Kelly was out shopping and I asked if she'ld go to Walmart and see if they had one.  Online it was $26.41.  Wasn't marked that in the store but Kelly had it scanned and walked out with it for the advertised price.  It is not a backpacking tent.  It's probably small for 2 full sized adults.  But it would be great as a car or canoe tent for 1 or a kid tent.  Anyway, heads up if that might suit you.  I'll post some pics (I think...) later and a quick review.

https://www.amazon.com/Ozark-Trail-4-Season-2-Person-Hiker/dp/B06XWHNYCW?SubscriptionId=AKIAJO7E5OLQ67NVPFZA&amp=&ascsubtag=284416630-26-988731339.1500667012&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B06XWHNYCW&linkCode=xm2&tag=bdt_tmp-20
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: Tent Deal at Walmart
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 02:35:58 PM »
It is hard to understand how they can make that nice of a tent for $27.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 02:56:45 PM »
It sure is.  From the weight and price I'm guessing fiberglass poles.  But I'll seal the corners and try it on a camp with Max.  I am betting the poles or the zippers go first.  I'll set it up tonight when Kelly gets home and give a first impression.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 05:30:23 PM »
my rule of thumb is 3person tent is for one.
unlee you plan on keeping your gear out side.
and even then it will a couple at best.
and when you get up in years you'll need a walkin
cabin tent with room for cots and everything else.

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 05:49:33 PM »
That looks like a great, inexpensive tent for our climate. Plenty of ventilation. Looks like dual doors also? Nothing wrong with that.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 05:13:15 AM »
my rule of thumb is 3person tent is for one.
unlee you plan on keeping your gear out side.
and even then it will a couple at best.
and when you get up in years you'll need a walkin
cabin tent with room for cots and everything else.

Yeah, we have a coupla 4 person 3 season good tent for Kelly, me, and Max.  They weren't 26 dollars.  LOL  They work great.  We were buying 2-3 person tents before a series of these (I used to get 1-2 seasons out of tents,  I've cut way back on nights out).   Max always wound up sleeping on someones's legs.  LOL.  We used a 2 room cabin tent in NC one summer for 2 2/1 months.  It was pretty plush.  Way too much for just Max and me on a 3 day trip.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 05:35:34 AM »
That looks like a great, inexpensive tent for our climate. Plenty of ventilation. Looks like dual doors also? Nothing wrong with that.

I still won't be King of the Cheap Tent.  You hadn't found us yet on our first camp.  Let'sRock shows up with a ToysRUs kiddy tent.  Most had Mil surp gear.  He did fine but it didn't rain.  A few years later he's still rocking that tent that couldn't have been 4'X4'.  This camp it monsooned.  I laid awake in the thunder, lightening, and torrential rain feeling so bad for Let'sRock.  We crawled out of our tents about dawn.  LetsRock was dry as a bone thanks to his rigging of a piece of whisper thin visqeen.  He was also King of the bow drill fire.  I guess he go a job and has no time for childish things anymore. lol
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 02:18:50 PM »
Well it's roomier then we thought.  2 people easy.  2 and a dog will work.  Almost vertical sides.  The tarp is pretty heavy duty with vents and storm tie downs.  Full coverage fly.  Zippers seem good. 

I'm impressed for $26.41.  We'll see about how much mileage we can get out of it.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 04:41:53 PM »
We have a Kelty Trail Dome 6.  Fits two comfortably.  3 if one is a dog.
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 03:12:30 PM »
LOL.  Yeah I know.
I revised my new Ronde' wish tent to "use up space in my trailer".  I might even build a Ronde' bed.
Hunter S, Thompson