Author Topic: E rations  (Read 657 times)

Offline Homesteader

• Mill File+
  • Homesteading in Virginia
E rations
« on: August 17, 2017, 12:56:40 PM »
I have some Datrex E rations I bought back in 2013 that expire next year so I thought I would crack open a package. These are the Datrex multi purpose emergency rations, 18 individually wrapped bars in a blue pouch. Each bar is about the size of one of those little hotel soap cakes and contains 200 calories with some fat and vitamins thrown in. I guess they've held up well if they were originally the texture of greasy sawdust. The flavor is a mild coconut with undertones of vegetable oil and I suppose if you've been cut off from your food supply for a week by a horde of zombies they might be considered delicious. On a regular day they aren't really that bad either. Each bar is shrink wrapped in cellophane then the bars are sealed in a foil package. An 18 bar package weights 1.65lbs (720g). You can get five foil packs for about $35USD - that's a total of 90 bars/18,000 calories. It's pretty cheap insurance for people who face that kind of risk i.e. getting lost or hurt in the woods.

I have two bags of these things to get rid of now...  anyone know any E ration recipes?
We are not to expect to be translated from despotism to liberty in a featherbed.   - THOMAS JEFFERSON

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: E rations
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 02:52:05 PM »
No recipes I know of but keeping a jar of Nutella with these bars is a good idea.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 07:43:21 PM »
I had some 3800 calorie USCG emergency rations.  The were guaranteed to be good for 5 years.  I opened one after seven years and it had morphed into a cobble stone.  Made a nice patio  out of them.
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline Homesteader

• Mill File+
  • Homesteading in Virginia
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 08:02:56 PM »
I had some 3800 calorie USCG emergency rations.  The were guaranteed to be good for 5 years.  I opened one after seven years and it had morphed into a cobble stone.  Made a nice patio  out of them.

These Datrex are good for 5 years too and approved by the USCG, they might be the same thing you have. Two more years and I'll have cobblestones? Might be worth the wait :)
We are not to expect to be translated from despotism to liberty in a featherbed.   - THOMAS JEFFERSON

Offline Phaedrus

• Mill File
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 04:08:09 PM »
I don't have any "recipes" but I love those things!  I once ate a package that were seven years old (two years past the expiration) that had been stored in a garage where temps ranged from 125 F to -40 F the whole time. They were more fragile and crumbly than usual but beyond that didn't really taste any different!

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 04:42:04 PM »
these sound like the ones the sell at wally world.
and boy are the loaded with sugar. oh yeah and hard as a stone.

Online xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 05:02:55 PM »
much prefer patriot foods with a 25 year shelf life and real food look and taste. You do need good water and ability to boil though :P
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Phaedrus

• Mill File
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 01:40:01 AM »
these sound like the ones the sell at wally world.
and boy are the loaded with sugar. oh yeah and hard as a stone.

Nope, these are waaaay better than the ones at WM- those are brutal, and as you say hard as stone.  I bought some of them to try (the UST stuff) thinking it might be a decent deal since WM always has them but one bite was all I could stomach. Threw the rest away. But the Datrex are tasty, and also very soft and crumbly.

Offline OffGrid9

• Supporting Member
  • Mill File+
  • A sunset is a lovely melody, heard only once
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2017, 11:21:40 PM »
One Lung Willy the Bail-Jumper (buddy from days of yore) told me his nephew got hold of a whole pallet of those Datrex bars...called them "coconut slugs".  Found them in the back of a hijacked truck in a ravine...apparently the criminals weren't looking for emergency rations.  The kid said his best recipe was to put six slugs in an old-fashion glass, add 8 oz of bourbon (hey, there's a lot of room in an old-fashion glass if there's no ice), cover with plastic wrap, and leave it on the counter overnight.  In the morning you mash it all up and dump it on your oatmeal.
   :stir:

Willie watched his nephew eat this one morning, asked if it tasted good.  The kid said (and I quote): 
   "...Shnobbad, fyuken argalompa mug mug."

I'm not recommending this.  ...Just sayin'.   :rofl:
6 phases of a project:  (1) baseless enthusiasm; (2) growing uneasiness & fear; (3) over budget & behind schedule; (4) search for the guilty; (5) blaming of the innocent; (6) praise and rewards for the nonparticipants.