Author Topic: Anyone tried Gumboots?  (Read 352 times)

Offline RoamerJo

• Mill File
Anyone tried Gumboots?
« on: December 17, 2017, 09:03:05 PM »
Has anyone tried Gumboot Chitons? I have seen some on the rocks on the beach and hear they are edible, but not very good. I was thinking of giving them a try but, even though I've been hunting and fishing my whole life, those things look so other worldly I don't know if I could stomach it. 

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
Re: Anyone tried Gumboots?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 12:03:45 AM »
Has anyone tried Gumboot Chitons? I have seen some on the rocks on the beach and hear they are edible, but not very good. I was thinking of giving them a try but, even though I've been hunting and fishing my whole life, those things look so other worldly I don't know if I could stomach it.
As a matter of fact....yeah.
Back when I was an active diver in Puget Sound we tried about everything remotely edible, from sea urchin roe to...gumboots. Here's what I learned.
If you skin them, they have a shell like any other chiton. Don't bother.
The only edible part is the foot (like with other chitons). They don't call 'em gumboots for nothin'.  You could resole your boot with 'em.
The joke used to be when preparing octopus was that you cut the steaks from the tentacles and then pounded them with a mallet until your arm got tired.  Then switch arms and keep pounding.
With gumboots do the same, but bring 2 friends to help you pound when you get tired.  And I'm only half kidding.
A good sized gumboot will have a foot about 2" x 4". When you get done tenderizing it, it should be about 3" x 6".  Salt, pepper, dredge in flour like you would a trout and flash fry in bacon grease.  Cook 'em quick, and not too long.  You have to hit that spot between under cooked and over cooked, like any other seafood.

The other way we would cook them was to cube the foot up, along with sea cucumber, and then use them in a fried rice dish the same way you would pork.
The thing I remember most about the chitons was that the longer you chewed it, the bigger the piece got.  After awhile ya sorta got fond o' the lil' fella, and were sorry to have to swallow it.   8)
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline RoamerJo

• Mill File
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 02:14:43 AM »
wow... that sounds like a lot of work.. Ill give it a try hopefully sooner than later and report my findings

Offline RoamerJo

• Mill File
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 02:15:37 AM »
As a matter of fact....yeah.
Back when I was an active diver in Puget Sound we tried about everything remotely edible, from sea urchin roe to...gumboots. Here's what I learned.
If you skin them, they have a shell like any other chiton. Don't bother.
The only edible part is the foot (like with other chitons). They don't call 'em gumboots for nothin'.  You could resole your boot with 'em.
The joke used to be when preparing octopus was that you cut the steaks from the tentacles and then pounded them with a mallet until your arm got tired.  Then switch arms and keep pounding.
With gumboots do the same, but bring 2 friends to help you pound when you get tired.  And I'm only half kidding.
A good sized gumboot will have a foot about 2" x 4". When you get done tenderizing it, it should be about 3" x 6".  Salt, pepper, dredge in flour like you would a trout and flash fry in bacon grease.  Cook 'em quick, and not too long.  You have to hit that spot between under cooked and over cooked, like any other seafood.

The other way we would cook them was to cube the foot up, along with sea cucumber, and then use them in a fried rice dish the same way you would pork.
The thing I remember most about the chitons was that the longer you chewed it, the bigger the piece got.  After awhile ya sorta got fond o' the lil' fella, and were sorry to have to swallow it.   8)
.    thanks for the info!

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 08:37:23 AM »
Another food I am glad I never heard of until today.   :-\
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 09:41:24 AM by wsdstan »
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 06:02:43 PM »
The Sea Cucumbers are another story unto themselves.  We had a rule: you couldn't partake of our beach sea cucumber-fried rice unless you had cleaned at least ONE sea cucumber.  We actually had some folks go hungry rather than perform the task, simple as it was.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 06:07:12 PM »
And before someone goes, "Ewww..." to sea cucumbers, they taste for all the world like razor clam, and are a lot easier to get, if you have a mask and snorkel.