Author Topic: G.A.W.New year, New Gear!!!  (Read 3878 times)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
G.A.W.New year, New Gear!!!
« on: December 25, 2017, 01:52:00 PM »
This will be open to everyone and anyone that posts here. I am giving away an entire kit minus the things you like. LOL!

The main gift is this tarp. It's a 12x10' winter tarp I made for my hammock. It's a very durable material and I truly believe it is Sil poly. Along with this I will add an 11'x72" hammock, a mess kit, a canister alcohol stove, and a few other goodies. Should be enough to get you out for an overnight at least.

There is nothing wrong with this tarp, it has line loc 3's on the side pull outs and beastie 3/4" D rings on the ridge line. I have extras left over from the previous P.I.F. box I'll throw in as well. I've been collecting doodads for a while and now have multiples so it's time to clean up my kit.

I'll choose a winner in two weeks. 1/7/2018.

In this picture you can see the cut for the door at the far end. This end the doors are closed and the far end they are open.

For size this is a 3'x7'x 48" high net tent pyramid.(not included.)

pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline jeremyctry

• Mill File+
Re: G.A.W.New year, New Gear!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 03:39:36 PM »
Awesome GAW, I've been wanting to try hammock camping for awhile now, so I'm in.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 03:42:17 PM »
Great generosity on your part XJ.  I am not in as I am covered but it is nice of you to do.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline pete28

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 04:05:46 PM »
Good to be back and that is incredibly generous of you! I'm not in on this one as I am also covered but still a great thing to do.
The more you look with your eyes the less you will truly see.

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 06:38:57 PM »
That all sounds awesome!  I'm in!  Thanks for the chance and your generosity xj!
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline Icepick15

• Whetstone
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 07:43:01 PM »
Extremely generous of you.  I'm in.
Retired LEO--40 years on the job
NRA Patron Life Member

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 04:22:41 AM »
weekend bump.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 08:22:30 AM »
What an awesome and generous offer.  I'm in.

Online Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 10:21:34 AM »
I've never slept up in the sky, tied to a tree. For free? I'll try it!
 Thanks XJ. I'm in.

Did you make the bug bivvy too?
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 12:15:02 PM »
No. It's half a tent from geertop I didn't need another tarp. That net tent fits in the sack with this tarp too. Don't even know it's there. I'm keeping that though.

If you choose a color then option 2 inner tent it's $37.99 https://www.geertop.com/product-page/geertop-1-person-3-season-20d-ultralight-pyramid-backpacking-tent-for-camping

I like this one too but I bet it's inferior as zippers and net material. Better door options though and cheaper.

https://www.banggood.com/Outdoor-Camping-Anti-mosquito-Tent-2-Person-Picnic-Fishing-Shelter-Backpacking-Pop-Up-Tent-p-1117026.html?rmmds=category&cur_warehouse=CN

This tarp is my good one. I'm making another without doors and with many more tie outs. It will be able to hang in a million different ways but weigh about the same.

*** I'm adding some patriot foods goods too.*** Should get you through an overnight at least...
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 12:22:35 PM by xj35s »

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 09:25:23 AM »
Bump, I may have to extend this out a little more. I was expecting a much better response. Maybe I should list everything in the pack? I'll tell you there is a Katadyn hiker in there.

Here is why I prefer the hiker to the sawyer...

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 10:30:46 AM »
Xj, I suspect the main reason many of us in 'the old guard' did not respond to your very generous GAW is because we believe that younger, newer or less 'geared up' members should get a crack at winning a great pile of necessary gear that they don't yet have or cannot afford.  Very few of us here are in that boat.  In my case, I should be giving away duplicate gear, rather than risk taking away from someone who NEEDS it. :-\

Another thing....I have won a couple of very nice things here in the past and to be honest with you, I had a feeling of guilt over it later on because I didn't really NEED them. :-[   

THANK YOU, though......you're a great guy! :thumbsup: :hail:

The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 12:51:21 PM »
Appreciate the offer, xj, but I'm out.  I just don't need anything.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2018, 01:38:53 PM »
yeah, but where are all the lurkers and noobs?

Besides, Like the P.I.F. boxes no guilt. what you don't need or want you can pass on, or maybe you know a person that would make use of the stuff. I gotta give it someone...

Offline 1066vik

• Whetstone +
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2018, 08:04:36 PM »
OK - I"m in and if I win, whatever I decide I won't use will be gifted forwards.
(which is what actually happened with the last PIF box -- after a year of trying to find out where to send it, I used it to start a PIF box on a different forum and I am happy to say that most of the stuff in that box has been claimed at this point))

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2018, 07:40:30 AM »
XJ,
If it's not too late, I've be very happy to be included in the draw.
What a generous and thoughtful way to welcome in the New Year.
Many thanks,
Yeo
"Learning: a continuation of the failure process"

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2018, 02:20:28 PM »
not too late bud. I'll pick a random number Sunday. Come on guy's.

Backpack, tarp, hammock, mosquito net, knife, mess kit, stakes/lines, Hiker water filter, and a few more goodies.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2018, 12:46:46 PM »
bump.

Offline woodsorrel

• Whetstone +
    • NatureOutside
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2018, 05:45:28 PM »
xj35s, thank you for your generosity!

I'm not in.  But I appreciate you doing something nice for a member of our community.

- Woodsorrel
The best backpacks are named for national parks or mountain ranges. Steer clear of those named for landfills.
Bushcraft tips and tricks:  www.NatureOutside.c om

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2018, 02:05:30 PM »
Nice kite XJ an very generous of you. I'm not in, I'm covered and have more gear than I need.

You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2018, 02:32:44 PM »
You're a generous fella XJ.  Like Spyder I have too much stuff already.  I'm waiting for the kids and grandkids of the Kracaneuner Tribe to get to the right age and passing some stuff down. 
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2018, 02:42:16 PM »
thanks xj for doing theGAW i really hope that  someone who could really use the gear gets it.
as for me I'm a recovering camping eqpt addic.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2018, 10:15:40 AM »
The posts aren't numbered any more so I culdn't use a random number generator. I had to write the names down and pull one. Pretty easy with so few.

Yeoman was chosen. I'll pm for an address. It'll be a little while before I ship though. It's good kit for an overnight easy. Add a few things and it could be a week or more. Have fun my friend.

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2018, 10:24:11 AM »
That turned out well.....Yeoman, being hooked up with the Scouts and all, should be able to put all of that equipment to GOOD use!

So, muy thanks to xj35s for his generosity and CONGRATULATIONS to Yeoman! :banana: :banana:

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2018, 01:38:39 PM »
I just noticed the reply's are numbered next to the time and date. ooops.

Offline 1066vik

• Whetstone +
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2018, 06:54:51 PM »
congrats to yeoman and thanks for the generosity xj35s!

Online Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2018, 07:15:41 PM »
Well done however you picked it. Congrats Yeoman.
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2018, 04:14:00 AM »
Awesome!  Congrats Yeoman and thanks XJ!

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2018, 03:08:09 PM »
I haven't heard from yeoman yet. Anyone know what area of the country he lives? I'm contemplating a sleeping bag to add.

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2018, 03:15:14 PM »
His profile says he is in Nova Scotia.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2018, 04:16:50 PM »
Better ship it C.O.D., xj! :rofl:

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2018, 01:32:20 PM »
 :shocked: :doh: :shrug:

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2018, 07:49:39 AM »
Hi xj,
Thanks so much for this gift and I'm going to make very sure that it's put to good use. Between myself, my son and some very deserving Venturer Scouts, everything will be used, appreciated and pics will be posted!
PM has been sent and I mentioned if Canada is a problem for shipping not to worry about it, but Wolfy's idea of COD is not beyond possibility if required.

So sorry it took me so long to get to this, I took advantage of the warm weather and headed out to the woods on my week off. Wet, but warm.

Again,
Many thanks,
Yeo

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2018, 01:37:50 PM »
I saw you had not been on site since the 8th. No worries, I knew you'd be around before long. I'm still sorting and modifying my own setup and with that come extras I don't care to keep on hand anymore.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2018, 01:42:09 PM »
I hit the preview button and the text box was gone. I posted then tried to modify and again no text box?

Since I now know you are involved with scouts, I'll make this box full. help out as many as I can. You're scouts are more serious than ours I believe.

You're way out there. Have you ever visited Oak Island? Looks like a fun location, How is your winter?

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2018, 08:56:40 AM »
I hit the preview button and the text box was gone. I posted then tried to modify and again no text box?

Since I now know you are involved with scouts, I'll make this box full. help out as many as I can. You're scouts are more serious than ours I believe.

You're way out there. Have you ever visited Oak Island? Looks like a fun location, How is your winter?
Again, that's a very generous offer (and I think the Venturer Scouts will be learning how to write a formal thank you letter in the near future).

I know know if Scouts is more or less serious than in the US. I find different Troops have varying levels of activity, involvement and ability.
I got to attend the Canadian National Scout Jamboree (11-14 yo), this past summer and I saw groups that could probably build a cabin, skin a bear and eat a moose and I saw other groups that would have preferred to be in a HoJo.

The ones I work with are Venturer Scouts, they're 15-18 and the program dictates that they be self-directed. I am there in an advisor capacity only. I make sure their program is legal and mostly safe. Again, interests and abilities vary: some Venture Companies are doing foreign backpacking trips, running small businesses, mountain climbing, scuba diving you name it. Other Venturer Companies are as silly as teens get. My Company are in between. Their interests are in Ground Search and Rescue and survival skills. In the last year their skills and planning abilities have dramatically improved. I'm quite proud of them. Interestingly, they'd approached me to be their Advisor sort of randomly not knowing my background with SAR, survival training and interest in bushcraft.

Yep, Nova Scotia is about as far east as you can go on mainland North America. It's virtually an island itself, except for an isthmus of marsh land. It's a bit smaller than Maine with a population of less than a million. They're lots of lakes, rivers and forests to travel, explore and enjoy. 
Oak Island is just over an hour from where I am in Halifax. Since it's private property, it's only open for tours rarely and I've never been able to make it to one. Second season of Curse of Oak Island, a good friend of mine was on the show. He was one of the guys from the company running the ROVs they put down the hole. He said it's really, really cool! Some details he can't discuss though.

As to winter, we've had no real snow yet but we had the same cold snap you had at New Years. We generally don't get a lot of snow until late Jan and we'll keep getting it until April. Last year, ice wasn't out of most lakes until ten days into fishing season.

Anyway xj, many thanks again.
You set a great example to all of us.
Yeo

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2018, 12:53:20 PM »
Vary cool. I didn't know much about you really before I drew you're name. I guess it couldn't have been a better choice it turns out.