Author Topic: Holiday Fishing  (Read 983 times)

Offline werewolf won

• Water Stone
  • TANSTAAFL
Holiday Fishing
« on: May 15, 2012, 12:29:45 PM »
A couple of years ago New England was "treated" to a 100 year flood.  I've been 100 yards from the normal river bank and seen debris in tree branches over my head; such was the extent of the flooding.  It occurred during the spring and at the time I feared the fish would suffer the worst.  My fears seem to be bore out.  I suspect the fish bred that year back in the flooded woods, rather than in the lakes and rivers where they belonged.  A generation lost.  I still see the results in my fishing today. 

This week past I was on holiday, and I fished aggressively every day and a couple of nights.  I was getting blanked until I went back to basics and resorted to full blown match tactics.  I laid out my lines on land and clipped them up.  Changed my reel lines to four pound main line and fished with hook links of a pound with size 22 hooks hand snelled on.  I fed a super lean ground bait that was 85% potting soil and 10% dry milk. (I'll let you imagine what the other 5% was) That mix gives a cloud, with almost no feed in it.  I was able to build a swim that finally started to produce.  By fishing with single maggots as hook bait I was finally able to get a good bag of fish.  I got a  swim going in close and used a whip to bag up on silverfish another day; something I have not been able to do since the floods.  This kind of fishing is anything but fun and a few hundred pounds of fish over a few days with those tactics is really a bust for me, but at least I proved to myself they are still in there.
I'll be a story in your head, but that's OK we're all stories in the end.  Just make it a good one!

Offline mibuwulf

• Whetstone +
Re: Holiday Fishing
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 10:14:59 AM »
very cool you were able to entice them to bite.  Id love to see your pics of your setup.

Offline Red

• Maker of Sub-Par Knives
  • Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
Re: Holiday Fishing
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 08:41:25 PM »
very cool you were able to entice them to bite.  Id love to see your pics of your setup.

as would i :) sure sounds interesting!
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."