Author Topic: TOKT News  (Read 92582 times)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Re: TOKT News
« Reply #200 on: September 13, 2012, 11:54:38 AM »
Well a little update on the fall. I am not sure if I broke anything but I have a pretty big bruise. I just got the replacement lower shaft for my metal detector today. The old one was aluminum with a plastic end. The new one is entirely made of plastic.

But it looks like the detector is working and none the worse for wear. I have the pocket transit on order from China, but that wont arrive until mid october. My wife ordered me a real Brunton com-pro but that is alo backordered at optic planet which had the best price. So that wont be here until october either.

I broke down and sprung for a CST Berger. It should be here tomorrow. :D

Offline Wounded Thumb

• Whetstone +
« Reply #201 on: September 13, 2012, 12:27:16 PM »
Looks like a real sweet spot out there PW. Is that northern Utah?
Take it easy,
Red

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Re: Re: TOKT News
« Reply #202 on: September 13, 2012, 12:40:22 PM »
Looks like a real sweet spot out there PW. Is that northern Utah?

Eastern, "castle valley" area. Im about two hours from Moab.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #203 on: September 20, 2012, 07:16:27 PM »
Got out today to look for property corners again. The last few times I looked for them, I was using a GPS and coordinates derived from a county GIS map. The subdivision boundary layer, and the individual lot layers don't line up on the map, so that gave me two possible locations for each property marker, the boundary locations and the lot locations. Neither of the possible layers actually got me anywhere near any real property markers.

So today, armed with m pocket transit and a tripod, plumb bob, metal detector, entrenching tool, and a 200' fiberglass tape measure I set out to find some points on the ground. My wife's grand-aunt came along as well because she loves the outdoors and thought it would be interesting to find the points. We had one point, a section corner that lies along one of the subdivision boundaries, but this is over a quarter mile from my property. Still, it was easy enough to locate. It should be noted that there were no "no trespassing" signs or fences that we crossed in order to conduct our little investigation.

Anyhow, I set up my transit, tripod and plumb bob over the section corner.

I turned the angle indicated on the subdivision plat and it was pointing right through a bunch of trees. Well, I can't go randomly cutting down trees at least until I get on my own property. So we measure due west of the point 193 feet and moved the transit to the new point. Using a smartphone app to solve for triangles when two distances and an angle are known we were able to turn a new angle and measure a new distance to a point that should have been the eastern boundary of the road right of way. This point ended up being about two feet into the road. (This is more common than you might think.)

Anyhow we turned the 84 degrees indicated on the plat and looked west fifty feet to the spot where the plat indicated the marker should be. And there was faded plastic survey tape hanging from the trees!

I pulled fifty feet on the tape and marked the spot on the ground and we dinked around the the metal detector a while and there was nothing. Then I looked about five feet to my left and saw this sticking up from the ground...

Not sure who TL&A are but the BDY PT is almost certainly "boundary point"!

Anyhow, we staged these goofy pictures after finding it. Pretty good for the rudimentary instruments we used. Now I am a lot closer to finding the actual property corners. But that will have to wait for another day.

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #204 on: September 20, 2012, 07:19:42 PM »
Is that marker on your property PW?
Axes Rock!

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #205 on: September 20, 2012, 07:46:20 PM »
Is that marker on your property PW?

No, it's about 500 feet north give or take of my ne corner. This mark is on the west edge of the road right of way.

But it's a huge find. It tells me several things. Most importantly, it tells me that the surveyor who laid out and platted the subdivision did set markers where he indicated on the plat. Second, it tells me what those markers are likely to look like. Unless the corners fall out in a big boulder, they should be an iron pipe with an aluminum cap like this one. The boulder could be drilled and marked with a plate, or might just have a cross chiseled in it that could be hard to locate after 30+ years of weathering. I'm hoping for pipes all around.

The next point marks the end of a curve in the roadway, then the following point will be my NE corner. I can then traverse along the boundary of the lot and locate each point after finding the last. It will be a challenge because part of the property is about 30 feet down in a gully.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 07:58:38 PM by PetrifiedWood »

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #206 on: September 20, 2012, 08:11:58 PM »
Can you tell how close your NOAA published declination figure is to being correct for your area and is there much other local deviation that you could ascertain from back bearings that you took?  It looked like you had about 15 degrees of east declination cranked into your new Berger that you pictured yesterday......is that about what you have there?   
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #207 on: September 20, 2012, 08:17:05 PM »
Can you tell how close your NOAA published declination figure is to being correct for your area and is there much other local deviation that you could ascertain from back bearings that you took?  It looked like you had about 15 degrees of east declination cranked into your new Berger that you pictured yesterday......is that about what you have there?

I did have 14 degrees east plugged in but I checked again before heading out today and two different sources, including noaa gave 11 degrees 18 minutes east. So I dialed in a little less than 11 1/2.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #208 on: October 17, 2012, 10:50:53 PM »
No new news to report really, but wanted to let people know that I am still in the process of moving. I'd love to gripe about all the reasons why it's taking so long but it boils down to me not wanting to do it all by myself. It will happen, but it will take longer than I wanted it to.

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #209 on: October 18, 2012, 04:43:11 AM »
No new news to report really, but wanted to let people know that I am still in the process of moving. I'd love to gripe about all the reasons why it's taking so long but it boils down to me not wanting to do it all by myself. It will happen, but it will take longer than I wanted it to.

I've always said I'd rather take a beating than move!!  It's like rubbing salt in a wound!

Offline Red

• Maker of Sub-Par Knives
  • Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #210 on: October 18, 2012, 04:12:04 PM »
well, its not going anywhere, so there is that....

Want me to come up there and help?
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #211 on: October 18, 2012, 06:27:52 PM »
well, its not going anywhere, so there is that....

Want me to come up there and help?

Lol, if you came out here we'd be too busy exploring the woods to waste time doing anything practical! :D

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #212 on: October 18, 2012, 06:37:24 PM »
Also, good news today. i stumbled upon another property marker today. I just determined to look for it, and there it was! It's the only marker that I was able to locate that actually bounds part of my property. It marks the beginning of a curve. The plat map shows the two tangent bearings, the radius, the chord length, and the delta angle, but no chord bearing. That sucks because I am too tired to try to figure out how to calculate the chord bearing, though I'm sure there is enough info already available to do so. Anyhow, I set up the pocket transit (used the CST Berger for this) on the point, and then stuck a stick in the ground in the road for an offset. Measured the angle and distance to that stick, then measured from the stick the chord distance along the road. Since I didn't know where to set up the transit, I just guessed and marked the distance. This was within a few feet of the spot where we pulled the offset coming from a pin in the other direction, so it was promising. I turned my angle back from that point and measured out 38 feet and there was no marker in sight. Still, I know I am in the vicinity. It's just that narrowing down that vicinity is proving very difficult. :D

I had no luck searching for the points along the back of the property either. Without one of the front points, finding the back ones will be difficult.

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #213 on: October 18, 2012, 08:31:50 PM »
In Virginia we'd just build a fence without a permit and call it the property line :)

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #214 on: October 18, 2012, 08:52:59 PM »
In Virginia we'd just build a fence without a permit and call it the property line :)

Creek

From some of the historical accounts of the metes and bounds surveys done in the original colonies, I'd say there's a lot of truth in that statement, creek :cheers:

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #215 on: October 21, 2012, 11:50:23 PM »
Found another marker today, another curve point on the front of my neighbor's property. This point and the one I found a few days ago are connected on the plat map by a straight line. The actual property corner lies between the two points, but was not marked by the surveyor. So it's a virtual point with no physical marker. Nevertheless, it will be easy enough locate it within a foot or two of it's actual position.

If I can set up on that point it might give me a better idea of where to look for the rear markers that have so far eluded me. Those are the ones I am most interested in finding, because they will tell me just how much actual room I have to set up a permanent campsite.

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #216 on: November 11, 2012, 01:07:26 PM »
I have temporarily suspended orders until I get finished with my upcoming move, and can build a new workshop. However, I am completing a couple of existing orders.

This is a custom Kephart inspired blade. 1/8" O1 steel with a full flat grind. It's profiled and rough ground. It still needs heat treat, finish grind, and a handle put on. This is one of the thinnest blades I've ground so far, and it feels like it will be an outstanding slicer!

That Kephart is going to be nice!  Keep us posted with more pictures.

PW is there a finished pic of this one?

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #217 on: November 11, 2012, 01:20:52 PM »
Yes there is a thread about it being the last knife in my old shop.

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #218 on: November 11, 2012, 01:23:14 PM »
When does the new shop open back up?
 :)
Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #219 on: November 11, 2012, 01:43:27 PM »
Well the old one hasnt moved yet so...

Probably wont be until next year some time. I will need to build new work benches and shelves and a lot of time consuming stuff. I wish we could afford to just keep the old house but that isnt an option. Still I am going to leave it intact for the most part to let me make a couple of knives before tearing it all apart and packing it up for the move.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #220 on: November 27, 2012, 03:25:26 PM »
Made a little progress on moving the shop this past week. got my compressor and blast cabinet up to the new house. also packed up my reloading press, dies and accessories and moved that as well. Still a lot to do, but progress is being made.

I am going to buy some heavy duty casters and build a rolling cart for the grinder so I can just wheel it outside to do messy things like handles, to keep dust in the new shop to a minimum.

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
« Reply #221 on: November 28, 2012, 12:03:34 AM »
*gettin' antsy*
"My common sense is tingling..."

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #222 on: November 28, 2012, 12:34:40 PM »
Glad to hear you're having some progress!  Like I said before, I'd rather take a beatin' than move LOL

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #223 on: November 28, 2012, 12:55:48 PM »
Glad to hear you're having some progress!  Like I said before, I'd rather take a beatin' than move LOL

You mean theres a difference?!!!  :D

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #224 on: November 28, 2012, 08:15:57 PM »

You mean theres a difference?!!!  :D

Well, now that you mention it...

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #225 on: January 07, 2013, 04:47:05 PM »
Well, it's been a while since I updated this thread. But, today I finally made some more progress toward getting the shop moved. I got my spindle sander, table saw, a couple of torches, a bunch of handle materials and half of my abrasives and polishing compounds moved.

The belt grinder, lathe, heat treat kiln, shop vac, wood burning stove, tool boxes and a lot of random assorted tools still need to move, along with some reloading components and other stuff still at the shop.

But, I have the bug again and I am trying to get as much done as possible while I am motivated. :D  I ordered some nickel silver rod and bar stock too... ;)

Still a ways off before I can make knives again because I will need to build some work benches in the garage to mount my tools, etc.

Also got my portable fire pit moved as well.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 04:54:23 PM by PetrifiedWood »

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
« Reply #226 on: January 07, 2013, 05:20:07 PM »
Woo! :)
"My common sense is tingling..."

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #227 on: January 07, 2013, 06:49:29 PM »
Glad to hear about the progress looking forward to you reopening for business.
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #228 on: January 07, 2013, 09:34:50 PM »
You're slacking man!

Creek :chopwood:
Axes Rock!

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #229 on: January 17, 2013, 06:14:35 PM »
Ugh! You got that right! It has been ten days and I just got another load today. Drill press, assorted hardware, a couple of drill press vices and some more abrasives and handle materials. I also grabbed my little 1x30 sander in case I need to grind something.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #230 on: January 17, 2013, 07:13:39 PM »
I gave up waiting for you to get that lathe moved so you could get that little tapered adapter made for my tripod :doh: :shrug:  A buddy of mine, up the street from me a couple of blocks, made two of them for me this afternoon as long as he was set up.......one for the tripod and one for the Jacob staff I'm going to build :stir:

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #231 on: January 17, 2013, 08:13:24 PM »
Lol, no problem Wolfy! Though I would like to see pics when you get them set up. :)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #232 on: May 19, 2013, 03:15:21 PM »
Well, here's the latest news. Still slowly chipping away at moving the last of my tools. I went to the old shop early this afternoon and stripped the lathe down as best I could. I pulled the change gears, chuck, tailstock, and disassembled the carriage and removed the leadscrew. I also removed some sheet metal covers. The motor is soldered in so I decided I wasn't going to try to remove that. I will get the rest of the lathe and it's stand moved next Sunday. I'm hoping to get a few hours this week to soak all the parts I have here in mineral spirits and get them squeaky clean, then make sure it is all as smooth and tight as I can get it when reassembling it. It will be like having a new lathe.

The new "shop space" is a mess. It's smaller than the old shop (because we are parking in the garage) but I am going to try to make the best of the available space. I'll still need to run a 220V line for the kiln, and I'll need to build a workbench for the vise, drill press, band saw and blast cabinet. And I'll need to make a rolling cart for the grinder and spindle sander so I can push it outside and keep the dust out of the shop. Lots of work remaining to do. But the lathe is the hardest part of moving. It's the heaviest and most complicated to disassemble and reassemble of all my tools. I definitely need to get it up and running before too long or I will forget how to put it back together! :doh:

Still no idea when I will be back fully operational again, but I expect to be able to use the lathe again within a few weeks.

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #233 on: May 19, 2013, 05:39:52 PM »
You need to get busy my friend :) Progress is progress though!

Creek
Axes Rock!

Half Axe

« Reply #234 on: May 19, 2013, 07:55:11 PM »
Wish I had the time and money to come and visit and lend a hand.  Won't have either time or money for the rest of this year - between job, kids and grandkids I am booked up.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #235 on: May 19, 2013, 08:45:16 PM »
I appreciate  the thought. :)

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #236 on: May 20, 2013, 06:04:27 AM »
I'm looking forward to seeing some new stuff come out of your shop.
 ;)
Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
« Reply #237 on: May 20, 2013, 06:47:24 AM »
waaaiitttinnngg....

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #238 on: June 04, 2013, 08:14:37 PM »
Barring any unforeseen circumstances, the lathe move is scheduled for tomorrow. :banana: I'll have it cleaned up and reassembled within a few days and be ready to start machining stuff again. I've got a lot of pet projects I've been waiting to try so I am looking forward to this big time!

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #239 on: June 04, 2013, 08:19:09 PM »
Hurry up....
Axes Rock!

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #240 on: June 05, 2013, 04:55:26 PM »
The lathe is here! I still need to get time to clean it up and reassemble it before I can make anything on it, but the truly hard part is over. This is a huge step. Moving the rest of the shop will be relatively easy, and nothing I can't handle on my own. :banana:

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #241 on: June 05, 2013, 05:02:51 PM »
:thumbsup:

Good to see you are making progress in setting up the shop, PW.
:)
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #242 on: June 05, 2013, 07:30:12 PM »
Congrats on the progress, I know that's been on the list for a bit now :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #243 on: June 05, 2013, 09:37:29 PM »
Thanks guys! I actually got it back together just a little while ago. Soaked everything in mineral spirits and cleaned all the gunk off. It's cleaner now than it was when I bought it. I still need to make a couple of minor repairs. There is a screw that needs replacing, and a new cross slide base I need to install. The old one cracked but I was able to repair it using the lathe itself, but I bought a new one and it will need to be drilled and pinned together. I can't do that until I get some work benches set up and get my drill press set up. But the lathe will work for now as-is.

Hopefully I can get some time tomorrow to test it out on some aluminum to see if it still makes a precise cut. I might make a cool plumb bob or something.

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #244 on: June 06, 2013, 03:43:43 AM »
Great news PW ! Looking forward to seeing some new stuff.
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #245 on: June 06, 2013, 04:57:53 PM »
The only thing better than putting a new shop together is using it after you are done.  Looking forward to seeing how you have things set up.

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #246 on: June 06, 2013, 05:53:01 PM »
Glad to hear it went back together well!

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #247 on: June 06, 2013, 11:55:45 PM »
Well, the jury's still out on that! Everything seems tight, but I get a lot of flex in the cross slide/compound area when knurling. Also, the surface finish is not what I'd like to see either. I have been using a carbide tool tip but I think I might switch over to a HSS bit and see if that's the problem. I tried a bit of threading and that din't turn out how I'd like it to either, with a poor finish. My threading tool is HSS so I don't think that's the problem. I probably just tried to take off too much material with a single pass. I will try again next week when an oddball drill bit size I ordered comes in.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #248 on: June 12, 2013, 12:07:36 AM »
I think I can attribute the poor finish on my use of motor oil instead of proper cutting oil. I'll have to go get the cutting oil from the old shop along with another load of stuff.

While the knives are not going to be ready to go for a while yet, I am happy to announce that I can make brass and aluminum firesteel handles again! :thumbsup:

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #249 on: May 13, 2014, 02:30:54 PM »
Nothing new to report shop-wise. My lathe has been set up and operational for some time, but the rest of the tools are still in boxes for lack of space.

A member contacted me to make a ferro rod handle and I agreed, but I forgot that my drill press wasn't set up! :doh:

So this one doesn't have a lanyard hole. Otherwise it's the same as all the others I've made, re-usable by punching out the old ferro rod and installing a new one with blue loctite.