Author Topic: The Wildlife Thread  (Read 143689 times)

Offline John Van Gelder

• Water Stone
Re: The Wildlife Thread
« Reply #550 on: December 30, 2016, 07:06:43 AM »
The moultrie was my neighbors trail cam, the bob cat kittens were with a stealth cam and the bear in the tree was with my cannon camera.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #551 on: December 30, 2016, 01:27:10 PM »
The moultrie was my neighbors trail cam, the bob cat kittens were with a stealth cam and the bear in the tree was with my cannon camera.
The reason I asked to model is that I'm not super pleased with my SpyPoint cams, even though they have lasted 3 years with daily (!) use.  I bought a Moultrie i800, returned it as defective, and then returned its replacement. POS that wouldn't take the same picture twice the same way.
I'd really like one that took good pictures under most conditions, without paying $200+ for it.
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #552 on: January 07, 2017, 03:18:13 PM »
$5,000 Husqvarna lawnmower meets hungry moose.....

Offline John Van Gelder

• Water Stone
« Reply #553 on: January 08, 2017, 08:10:26 AM »
I bought a couple of stealth cameras, a package deal two cameras for just over $100.00.  They take decent pictures in the day time but are a little short on flash for night shots, one of those failed last spring and the other is going strong.

I am not quite as concerned about high quality pictures as just knowing what is wandering around in my pastures when I am not.

Offline John Van Gelder

• Water Stone
« Reply #554 on: April 29, 2017, 09:43:44 AM »
Starting to feel like spring in spite of relatively low readings on the thermometer.  In the last couple of weeks I have had 200+ elk moving through on their way to the higher country, the day before yesterday, one of my dogs had a minor dispute with a bear, and yesterday when visiting one of my haunts in the national forest I spotted a wolf. 

No sign of my resident mt. lion, but that only means he has not walked past any of my cameras, not that he isn't there.

And I have hummingbirds...

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #555 on: April 29, 2017, 11:20:21 AM »
The deer have found my raspberry shoots...again. Time to repair the deer fence last winter killed.
Deer are still coming into the yard, nibbling on the clover sprouts.
Some of my fruit trees are starting to show signs of life.
Thankfully, no skunks have shown up...yet...looking to den under my sheds for their annual rearing cycle.
John, I envy your wildlife parade.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #556 on: April 30, 2017, 06:48:10 AM »

Our house is in a fairly residential area of town, but the town is about 70% forest land,  over the last decade we've seen a big influx of coyotes in this part of southern New England,  my theory is that the explosion of wild turkey ever since they were reintroduced here in the late '80's has drawn in the coyote.
 Because of it small game and upland bird species are suffering population wise,  because of the coyote threat my back yard has become a sanctuary for a family of rabbits, a skunk, and a couple of gophers who all manage to peacefully share the space under the two 10'x12' sheds in my back yard,  and I have a squirrel that's taken up residence in my trash dumpster.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #557 on: April 30, 2017, 07:10:52 AM »
For years, I have very seldom seen any quail or a lot of rabbits here.  I too blame it on the coyote population.  Even in town.  But we have begun seeing more quail and rabbits and we have a local bunny in our yard.    Max isn't much of a hunter.  As long as I kinda check and spook our resident bunny back into the palms he's safe.  In the front yard.  The backyard is Max's territory.  He protects it with a vengeance.  The doggy door gets a workout.

.. I wonder where those cats went that kept pissing on my stuff and killing my wild birds?
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline John Van Gelder

• Water Stone
« Reply #558 on: April 30, 2017, 09:07:21 AM »
Elk in my upper horse pasture this morning, and one coyote, on the other end of the same pasture.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #559 on: April 30, 2017, 09:12:51 AM »
Domestic cats >:( .......if I had my way, owners would be required to neuter them & keep them chained to a stake in the front yard when they are out of the house!   We have neighbors on both sides of us that 'own' cats that are allowed to roam freely.  Consequently, they spend all their 'free' time lurking in our landscaping waiting for birds to appear at our feeders, singing 'love songs' to each other under our bedroom window at night and using our front door & door mat as a scent-post. :chopwood:

Fur prices are in the tank, so trapping & hunting furbearers has been less profitable these last few years, so there are fewer hunters & trappers to keep them in check.  The raccoon & coyote  populations have soared, creating a problem for nesting game birds.  Raptors are protected under Federal law, so their numbers have increased exponentially, too.  We used to have a LOT of pheasants and quite a few bobwhite quail around here, but for quite a few years we had a redtailed hawk sitting atop every light pole and perched in every tree along every creek waiting for a pheasant dinner.   I have witnessed a pair of red tails wipe out a hen pheasant and her entire brood of chicks in less time than it takes to tell about it!  Where there used to be flocks of 30-40 ringnecks flushing at a time, we rarely see even one bird these days.  The red tails have now mostly left for greener pastures, also. 

A lot of this can also be attributed to modern farming practices.  There is no cover left for wildlife to reside in.  It's all about money, you know.  HUGE specialized grain farms make for fewer farmers and lower grain prices (due to oversupply and governmental meddling) and that creates a 'catch-22' situation where there are fewer weeds, more land cleared, more fence line plum thickets removed......all for even more grain produced per acre to offset the lower grain prices.  A vicious circle/cycle with no end in sight that I can see. :-\
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #560 on: April 30, 2017, 09:16:34 AM »

Offline Apercula

• Mill File+
« Reply #561 on: April 30, 2017, 11:17:45 AM »
I had a pair of wild turkey hens come up the old lane that goes back into our woods this morning, the first I have seen in a while. The bluebirds won the battle for the main nest box again this year and she appears to be sitting on eggs. "Limpy" the three legged doe has survived her third winter since her injury. We had a towhee at the feeder a couple days ago, a first spotting for me. Multiple cardinals, grosbeaks, finches and other small birds at the feeder constantly. I see rabbits and deer almost nightly when I leave for my midnight shift at work. A couple weeks ago our little dog escaped the yard, and at dusk while we were hunting for him I heard a couple coyotes howling in the woods out back.

Offline John Van Gelder

• Water Stone
« Reply #562 on: May 01, 2017, 07:00:20 AM »
OP

I see a lot of different wildlife here, the density of small game is a bit low.  I suspect because of all of the large predators, bears, mt. lions, bob cats, coyotes and wolves, oh my!!  In spite of that my turkey "herd" seems to be thriving, the grouse population fluctuates considerably from year to year.

The cost of elk in my horse pasture is having to check the fence twice a day. 

Offline John Van Gelder

• Water Stone
« Reply #563 on: May 01, 2017, 07:21:08 AM »
Wolfy's comment about cats is pretty close to the mark, feral cats have taken a real toll on bird populations, and small game.  We may need to define the term feral, a feral cat is any cat that is more than 10 feet away from where it lives.

How long does it take for a domestic cat to go wild..?  About five minutes.  That cute fuzzy rug ornament, as soon as it is outside is a predator.  I have cats, and they pretty much earn their keep killing mice and pack rats.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #564 on: May 01, 2017, 08:29:11 AM »
I had been 'stinging' these cats that frequent our bird feeders with a well-placed BB from a Daisy pump-up type air rifle.....'bout 3 pumps gave sufficient power to scare them off. ;D   Then I made the mistake of trying my newest unproven toy on one of them.....a cheap Chinese, single-pump .177 pellet rifle. :-[    It proved to be a little TOO effective! :shocked: :doh:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #565 on: May 01, 2017, 08:54:07 AM »
We have a lot of feral cats around here.  Townies drop them off a lot, sometimes as 6 week old kittens.  Some neighbors don't believe in spay and neuter.  We have a couple of barn cats and one house slug.  No mouse goes unchased around here.  We get transient cats all the time and they don't usually get a chance to leave.  Harsh world in the country.  I feel bad for the abandoned cats and dogs but we cannot take care of them all. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #566 on: May 01, 2017, 10:17:36 AM »
A lot of studies have been done on the predator-prey cycle, and it does appear to be a cycle. Increased populations of game birds and rabbits attract large numbers of predators. When the pickin's get thin, they move on, and slowly the populations increase again.
I doubt we'll ever see the great gatherings of pheasant or quail again in our lifetimes, mainly because of the habitat issues Wolfy outlined. If we can ever get the 'animal rights" folks to swallow a big dose of reality, maybe we'll see some places return to a bounty system for coyotes.  Man and wolf are about the only predator of coyotes I can think of.

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #567 on: May 01, 2017, 10:30:25 AM »
My cat is an absoluter murderess.  If it creeps, crawls, slithers, skitters, flits, flies, hops, skips, or jumps she'll kill it.  During the spring and summer we keep an electronic collar on her with transmitters near the bird feeders and blue bird boxes to keep her away from them.  Everything else is fair game.

Coyote season here is 24/7/365.  The DNR recently released 16 tagged coyotes, 4 in each game zone, with a $1000 bounty on each of them to encourage folks to kill every coyote they could.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline John Van Gelder

• Water Stone
« Reply #568 on: May 01, 2017, 11:35:05 AM »
Usually I have one or two coyotes, but occasionally I have and entire pack come through, such was the case last night, and they do not seem to be intimidated by my dogs, lots of coyote "singing" and dog barking for a fairly large segment of the night.

I can see a laser sight for the accessory rail on my new polymer frame 9mm, looming up in my future.  The point that absolutely boggles my mind is that I can get a laser for less than $100.00 but a hight intensity rail mounted flashlight is three times as much..????  A good hight intensity flashlight can be had for $30.00 or less. 

The answer to the flashlight scenario seems to be a mounting bracket for one of the very bright LED lights I already have.

I think that a laser sight would be just the ticket for night work on coyotes. "OR" feral cats... >:D

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #569 on: May 01, 2017, 12:17:27 PM »
I need to start coyote hunting. 

..and thinning the monkey population out in the forest.. Just got told another monkey story today by my electrician.  30 of them.  Who says we civilians don't have a use full auto.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #570 on: May 01, 2017, 12:54:48 PM »
I need to start coyote hunting. 

..and thinning the monkey population out in the forest.. Just got told another monkey story today by my electrician.  30 of them.  Who says we civilians don't have a use full auto?
Monkeys who are members of the Democratic Party? :shrug:

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #571 on: May 01, 2017, 01:00:53 PM »
If someone attacked me in the street dressed in black with a black mask on and what might be a weapon in their hand... well...
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #572 on: May 01, 2017, 06:53:35 PM »
Usually I have one or two coyotes, but occasionally I have and entire pack come through, such was the case last night, and they do not seem to be intimidated by my dogs, lots of coyote "singing" and dog barking for a fairly large segment of the night.

I can see a laser sight for the accessory rail on my new polymer frame 9mm, looming up in my future.  The point that absolutely boggles my mind is that I can get a laser for less than $100.00 but a hight intensity rail mounted flashlight is three times as much..????  A good hight intensity flashlight can be had for $30.00 or less. 

The answer to the flashlight scenario seems to be a mounting bracket for one of the very bright LED lights I already have.

I think that a laser sight would be just the ticket for night work on coyotes. "OR" feral cats... >:D

Gorilla Tape.....

Offline John Van Gelder

• Water Stone
« Reply #573 on: May 02, 2017, 07:07:54 AM »
OP

Is that plain Gorilla tape or the more expensive "tactical" Gorilla tape. 

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #575 on: May 02, 2017, 05:50:14 PM »
Man.....talk about DEDICATION! :hail:

Offline John Van Gelder

• Water Stone
« Reply #576 on: May 03, 2017, 06:33:11 AM »
Off on my morning walk yesterday, I was out on the end of the ridge, it was cool overcast and foggy down in the canyons, I was taking the morning air and looked out across one of the canyons just as a cloud bank was moving through, when the mist cleared there was a band of elk lying in the meadow, also taking the morning air.

The day before yesterday part of my pasture fence was down, I had a couple of cow elk in there, and thought that they were responsible, I checked my trail cameras yesterday, and there had been an entire herd I had about 300 pictures of them, they according to the time stamp, were there almost all night, right along with my horses.

There were a number of bulls just sprouting new antlers. 

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #577 on: May 04, 2017, 11:55:21 AM »
On our hike this morning we ran into 3 snakes.  The first is an Eastern Ribbon snake I think. 

Max soon caught on that when I stopped and whipped out the phone there might be something to see so I missed the shots of the teensy ringneck and the blur that was a black snake of some kind.  Fast.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #578 on: May 04, 2017, 08:39:56 PM »
I like snakes...and respect the ones that can do me harm.  But the funniest thing I ever saw was a little 'garden snake' (Garter snake...We called this variety 'red racers' when I was a kid), that I cornered in the rockery.  He actually coiled up and acted like he was ready to do battle, assuming his best 18-inch King Cobra pose. I'd never run across a feisty one before.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
!!
« Reply #579 on: May 04, 2017, 08:46:20 PM »
OP

Is that plain Gorilla tape or the more expensive "tactical" Gorilla tape.

Ha! I just repaired the winter damage to my greenhouse with the new clear Gorilla Tape.  The roll comes with tiny serrations along both edges so you can tear off a strip. You can't tear it otherwise!  In typical Gorilla Tape tradition, that stuff is STICKY!!!  Trying to get it stuck where >I< wanted it, instead of where >it< wanted to stick made me think of "Marcia the Mummy" (Woodswoman) and her experience with plain ol' duct tape. Hahaha!

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #580 on: December 31, 2017, 05:35:06 PM »
Haven't had much to post in here the past few months. Deer in the yard cleaning up the apple drops every night.
But I set this up on the base I had outside my window for the A/C unit. It has proven popular.
The photos are poor because there is a sheet of reflective 'privacy' plastic on the window. The up side is all the critters can see is their own reflection. I had an English sparrow try to pick a fight with himself a couple days ago. ROFLAO!

P.S. The cat loves sitting on the window sill and drooling.

Offline woodsorrel

• Whetstone +
    • NatureOutside
« Reply #581 on: December 31, 2017, 10:09:56 PM »
Old Philosopher, I love that Northern Flicker!

- Woodsorrel
The best backpacks are named for national parks or mountain ranges. Steer clear of those named for landfills.
Bushcraft tips and tricks:  www.NatureOutside.c om

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #582 on: December 31, 2017, 10:17:32 PM »
Funny thing is, during the summers we might see 1 Bluejay once in a month. Suddenly I had FIVE of them fighting over this feeder.  As a matter of fact, the first Bluejay we saw up here was only 5 years ago.

Offline John Van Gelder

• Water Stone
« Reply #583 on: January 01, 2018, 06:36:17 AM »
OP

Looks like you have more snow than I do.  I had four days of +40 deg., and rain, that reduced my snow from about a foot down to 4" in the open and bare ground under the trees.

I had a big herd of elk through day before yesterday, It was a big herd I could see the swath they cut through the snow on the next ridge over from a mile away.  They cut across the North end of  my ridge moving off to the SW.  They might be headed down to the low country, to hang out in the winter wheat, no snow down there at all.  Last week on my way back from town I saw a couple small bands of elk "lounging" in the wheat fields.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #584 on: January 01, 2018, 08:32:30 AM »
John,
The only place I can even SEE grass is where I've run the snow blower down to the sod. Haha!

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #585 on: January 01, 2018, 10:44:52 AM »
I had to mow the grass a couple of days ago. :shrug:

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #586 on: January 01, 2018, 01:02:34 PM »
I had to mow the grass a couple of days ago. :shrug:
How many scorpions and rattlers did you run over?  :taunt:

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #587 on: January 01, 2018, 05:21:30 PM »
Well.....back to the wildlife stuff....

From Christmas Day.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #588 on: January 01, 2018, 05:42:59 PM »
NICE SHOT! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #589 on: January 02, 2018, 08:58:41 AM »
Outstanding, as usual, CD!  I'd kill for your camera! Haha!

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #590 on: January 02, 2018, 05:35:40 PM »
Here's another picture from the same trip.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #591 on: January 02, 2018, 05:39:10 PM »
Crash, have you ever thought about submitting any of your bird pix to Peterson's Field Guide, Audubon Society?  I've seen a lot worse get published.
Back in WA we lived 1/2 mile from a Blue Heron rookery. Took a lot of pix through a 200 mm lens on a 35 mm camera, but nothing to match yours.

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #592 on: January 03, 2018, 04:22:41 AM »
I haven't.  For now it's just a fun hobby.

Offline John Van Gelder

• Water Stone
« Reply #593 on: January 03, 2018, 06:21:03 AM »
Here is a wolf from my least favorite trail camera, I found the tracks the following morning and this is what I had when I pulled the card from that camera, this guy is not very big but he has a track the size of a coffee cup.

Offline John Van Gelder

• Water Stone
« Reply #594 on: January 03, 2018, 06:23:38 AM »
Not very wild..

Offline John Van Gelder

• Water Stone
« Reply #595 on: January 03, 2018, 06:26:49 AM »
Every winter I see a Great Blue Heron, down on the edge of the road. when I make my trip to town.  I am sure he is living on mice until it is "frog" season again. 

Offline John Van Gelder

• Water Stone
« Reply #596 on: January 03, 2018, 07:21:41 AM »
On a hot day there is nothing like a nice dip in the water trough..I used to do that when I was a kid on the farm..It appears that this is  universally accepted..

Offline John Van Gelder

• Water Stone
« Reply #597 on: January 03, 2018, 07:26:11 AM »
A few of the critters from last summer..

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #598 on: January 03, 2018, 09:16:53 AM »
Nice backyard ya got there, John! :cheers:

Offline John Van Gelder

• Water Stone
« Reply #599 on: January 03, 2018, 11:53:59 AM »
OP

And that is not counting the elk pictures, I need to sort some pictures I had a band of elk in my upper pasture this spring, all bulls any one would have been a trophy.