Author Topic: What is the highest priority in a wilderness survival situation?  (Read 33122 times)

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
Re: What is the highest priority in a wilderness survival situation?
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2013, 07:54:38 PM »

FWIW, I like micro pur tabs, which are chlorine dioxide.  The CDC gives it a rough time because the contact time is high to address crypto if the water is really cold.

Thanks for the info Chris, I have only use iodine tablets once, I'll have to give the micro pur tabs a try...

I know Cody and some others recommend iodine.  All I can say is YUCK.   :P  I don't get why anyone would pick that over chlorine dioxide.  I think the chlorine dioxide actually improves the flavor of some bad water.  I have always used the AquaMira drops or tabs. 

After reading this thread I think I will get one of the new Sawyer Mini filters.  They are cheaper than a replacement filter for my Hiker Pro and are a fraction of the weight. 

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • Badger State Bushcrafter
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2013, 08:26:21 PM »
One of my buddies has a devise that emits a powerful ultraviolet light it's called a SteriPEN he swears by it...  I hate to sound like an old curmudgeon stuck in my ways but I don't trust it to eradicate the microscopic nasties.  I prefer to filter (if it needs it) then bring it to a boil!

The only reason I use my iodine tablets is because I was hiking in the Himalayas and we didn't have time to stop and boil water, I was told the source was "clean" but I wasn't taking any chances...  Yeah I agree with ya Draco, iodine isn't my favorite taste but it taste better than bile...   :puke: 

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2013, 08:35:51 PM »
I may be considered weird for saying this, but when I'm hiking hard, or outside working, I'm thirsty. I don't give a rat's ass what the water tastes like, as long as it's potable. Therefore I will consider almost any method of purification, whether filtering, chemical, or boiling.

When you're really thirsty you won't care if it tastes like iodine, or chlorinated flouridated city water, or whatever.

PMZ
"Nancy, you're me darlin, I loves ye all to bits! I'll climb up to your chamber, and under your mountainous...."

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2013, 08:43:11 PM »
Good topic about the Priorities of a Wilderness Survival Situation.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 09:17:57 PM by MnSportsman »
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2013, 08:44:26 PM »
WI Yes iodine is better than bile.  :lol:  I never got into the SteriPEN idea either.  Batteries and a fairly complicated technique.  Questionable effectiveness in cloudy water. 

I just ordered one of the new Sawyer Mini's.  For $25 and better than EPA standards you really can't go wrong. 

Trekster, I agree that I have been thirsty enough that swamp water was great but I still prefer a sweet tasting spring fed creek over nasty larva infested swamp any day. 

Offline abo4ster

• Whetstone +
    • Master Woodsman
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2013, 09:25:58 PM »

FWIW, I like micro pur tabs, which are chlorine dioxide.  The CDC gives it a rough time because the contact time is high to address crypto if the water is really cold.

Thanks for the info Chris, I have only use iodine tablets once, I'll have to give the micro pur tabs a try...

No problem, check out the photo on the micro pur tabs in this article I wrote: http://masterwoodsman.com/2013/collecting-treating-backcountry-water/

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2013, 09:27:53 PM »
Well of course, spring water is better. No doubt about it :)

On a related note, have any of you guys ever run out of water on a hike or hunt and had to drink water from a creek or spring without purifying it?

I have. I never got sick (thankfully) but it worried me haha.

PMZ
"Nancy, you're me darlin, I loves ye all to bits! I'll climb up to your chamber, and under your mountainous...."

Offline abo4ster

• Whetstone +
    • Master Woodsman
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2013, 09:33:00 PM »

I know Cody and some others recommend iodine.  All I can say is YUCK.   :P  I don't get why anyone would pick that over chlorine dioxide.  I think the chlorine dioxide actually improves the flavor of some bad water.  I have always used the AquaMira drops or tabs. 

After reading this thread I think I will get one of the new Sawyer Mini filters.  They are cheaper than a replacement filter for my Hiker Pro and are a fraction of the weight.

I agree 100% on the iodine taste.  It is the lost cost alternative if you are staying out for several days.  And it is multi-use.  I have used it out west where fire wasn't an option in the summer.  Problem is you don't want to drink as frequently.  And your plastic bottle will forever smell and taste of iodine.

Back east, boiling is my long-term treatment for water.  Micro pur tabs are perfect for a dayhike and I also agree on improving taste if there is any organic matter.

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Water Stone
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2013, 09:35:58 PM »

No problem, check out the photo on the micro pur tabs in this article I wrote: http://masterwoodsman.com/2013/collecting-treating-backcountry-water/

I think the link is broken...  I can't get to the site.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2013, 09:58:56 PM »

On a related note, have any of you guys ever run out of water on a hike or hunt and had to drink water from a creek or spring without purifying it?

PMZ
I've mentioned in other threads that springs are the only ground water source around here that I will drink from without treatment.  I know where several are located & note them on my maps when I discover one for possible future use.  Some of them are sporadic & you can't always depend on them flowing or 'trickling', which may be a better term, in all seasons or years.  Some are no more than 'seeps' where you have to dig a collecting pocket before there's enough to actually use.  The problem with 'seeps' is finding the actual source.  It's usually soggy, muddy and full of deer and 'coon tracks because they appreciate a cool drink as much as we do......that can be a big problem for obvious reasons.
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2013, 11:47:14 PM »

PMZ
I've mentioned in other threads that springs are the only ground water source around here that I will drink from without treatment.  I know where several are located & note them on my maps when I discover one for possible future use.  Some of them are sporadic & you can't always depend on them flowing or 'trickling', which may be a better term, in all seasons or years.  Some are no more than 'seeps' where you have to dig a collecting pocket before there's enough to actually use.  The problem with 'seeps' is finding the actual source.  It's usually soggy, muddy and full of deer and 'coon tracks because they appreciate a cool drink as much as we do......that can be a big problem for obvious reasons.

Wolfy, yeah, even around here where it's a little wetter, there are times when the springs (especially on the mountain (Blue Ridge, where the AT runs along) dry up and then you're up creek without a friggin' paddle haha. I pity those poor thru hikers haha. Other people do too, and even go so far as to haul milk jugs full of tap water up to the parking lots on hot days during the summer for them to fill their bottles and bladders from.

I mentioned streams because to my mind some streams are cleaner than others. We don't have many beaver around my area, they're more of a northern PA through Canada thing, although some places have runoff from homes, farms (pesticides and herbicides) and even industry pollutes some rivers at least. I'd never drink river or lake water around here without purifying it or boiling the hell out of it lmao. Bad news. Same for quarries and ponds/swamps. Some jackweed pulled in after dark a couple of years ago with his R.V. and dumped a metric ton of sewage (no pun intended) into one of my Grandpa's quarries. Turned all murky green for a while and though the nasty color is gone I still wouldn't drink from it or even eat fish caught in it cause this other idiot neighbor (church friend with high moral standards [which count for nothing cause he's a sport poacher]) dumps deer hides stuffed in feed sacks into it every hunting season.

PMZ

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2013, 02:48:53 AM »

PMZ

Yup.  And gotten away with it.  Until... :(
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline abo4ster

• Whetstone +
    • Master Woodsman
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2013, 06:24:20 AM »

I think the link is broken...  I can't get to the site.

Try again, it's up now.   :)

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2013, 12:15:28 PM »
For me, the highest priority is calming down. The first task I expend calories on is finding a dry place to sit down.

Here's a detailed (long) explanation:
Last year while preparing to instruct survival training for my SAR team, I was pondering many, many different ways to explain how to prioritize what to do when you are required to spend a night or two outside unexpectedly. I've come to prefer this term to "emergency" or "survival situation" or "lost"  ;)
I read through many sources and watched many videos and spoke with many members of my SAR team and reflected back on my own experiences. What it came down to is that the rule of threes was missing a "3":
Commonly we hear: 3 minutes without air, 3 hours without shelter, 3 days without water.
What I thought of though is what we teach in the Hug-a-Tree program for lost-proofing children: "find a tree and hug it." The first thing to do is calm down, don't panic. Therefore the missing rule of threes is:
3 seconds without thinking.
I now start with this. I find I spend as much time on psychology and practical ways to stop panic as I do on "skills".

As to the debate on fire vs shelter: If it is windy and/or rainy shelter first. If it's neither or getting near dark, fire.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 11:55:41 AM by Yeoman »
"Learning: a continuation of the failure process"

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2013, 06:10:53 PM »
Only because I do not remember it being mentioned...

Fire as a priority might be an important one to consider since, not only does it provide warmth & some protection, but the smoke & smell might help signal those who are searching for you...   "If"  they are searching...even within a "72 hour period". Heck, you might be rescued in less than 24 hrs if they see the smoke, or smell it and are looking for ya... You make the right signal of three in a triangle, or a straight line & someone might get ya out in 12 hours or less.. Who knows... Fire might be a good one to put up there in the "priorities" list.

BTW... I think the, " most folks are rescued in 72 hours", is a bit of a "skew" on averages. I think that if you are in a crappy situation, if you don't have a handle on what to do, & what to prioritize to make your survival odds better... You are a "medivac", or not likely to remain among the living.

Additionally... I'm thinking that if you don't know enough to at least dig a hole about a foot or so from a "moving" water source, & let the seep help filter the water, rather than just drinking directly from a unknown/unproven moving water source like a stream/creek/whatever & then hoping that you are rescued before you can get "medical assistance" for what ever pathogen/parasite/ chemical derivatives/ etc, that create some serious troubles for your digestive tract since ya didn't want to take the time to do at least a lil bit of work to help improve your chances....You are already in a world of crap if it is a survival situation... take a needless risk.. Yup..that's the ticket...
Geeez...
 :sarcasm:

I think Boiling is key for most situations when it comes to water borne crap.... chemicals like farm runoff... well ya gonna have to take your chances.

I've said enough.. I have dealt with gastro-enteritis for about 2 weeks at one time in my life, & it is not a good thing... So..You just drink up that water & hope ya don't get it... Sure fire way to take your life, when ya need water to survive, is to get the Sheeits... You think you are dehydrated?   Get some of that "running trots" & you not only have to deal with debilitating cramps & gut ache, but all the dehydration effects...

OOOppps.. I rambled along too long...

Good subject... But thinking about some of the complications of the decisions ya may make in a bad circumstance like a survival situation, might lend itself to some looking for good knowledge & not just the mentality of..

"I'm tough, I can handle it"...<--- Many who thought that way are bones & dust...

;)

I'm curious...I wonder where the leaves blow...
 ;)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 06:23:50 PM by MnSportsman »
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2013, 06:22:58 PM »
My highest priority is to stay out of survival situations.

An ounce of prevention...

Best answer I've seen so far, but keep batting it around guys!
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Re: Re: What is the highest priority in a wilderness survival situation?
« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2013, 08:01:54 PM »

Wife and I were discussing this today. Most folks who plan well enough to bring a good survival kit are probably less likely to need one than the type of people who head out without one.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2013, 12:07:36 AM »
They used to make this stuff called Polar Pure, we used it on Scout hikes and at Philmont.

Great stuff. One jar would last you, like, a month or longer! It had iodine crystals in it and all you had to do was add untreated water to the jar and wait a half hour, shake it, and then use the dropper cap to dispense it into everyone's bottles!

Unfortunately it went the way of the dodo due to methheads everywhere buying tons of it. Apparently it was useful for making recreational drugs :mad:

PMZ

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Water Stone
« Reply #68 on: September 27, 2013, 11:10:04 AM »

The title of this thread isn't "If You Had A Choice To Be In A Survival Situation..."

I pretty sure people aren't reading this post because there intending to get in a survival situation.  On the contrary people don't intend to be in survival situations they're unpredictable and most times unpreventable.

I'm just saying, this isn't a pointless topic.

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2013, 11:42:09 AM »

The title of this thread isn't "If You Had A Choice To Be In A Survival Situation..."

I pretty sure people aren't reading this post because there intending to get in a survival situation.  On the contrary people don't intend to be in survival situations they're unpredictable and most times unpreventable.

Nobody is saying this a pointless topic.

I'm going to disagree with your premise that most survival situations are unpredictable and most time unpreventable.  Most times they are completely predictable and entirely preventable with proper preparation and an application of common sense.

So since you missed my point let me explain it more clearly, the best way to deal with a "survival situation' is to prepare yourself with the skills and materials that keep you out of a survival situation.

Take something as basic as map reading.  Most "survival situations" involve getting lost.  If you have a map and compass, or even just a map and some basic dead reckoning skills then you know where you are and how to get to your destination, you don't need to "survive".  You just need to walk.

I'm going to stick with my highest priority being to not get into any survival situations.

I don't drive my truck until it breaks down, I do regular maintenance to prevent breakdowns, because breakdowns are both predictable and preventable.

Same with survival situations.
Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2013, 01:10:53 PM »
I always think of a survival situation occurring after a plane crash in a remote mountainous region where they have taken every knife, water bottle, flame producing item, and almost everything else necessary for survival anywhere away from you.........right before you board. :P.   It happens!

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2013, 01:15:15 PM »
I always think of a survival situation occurring after a plane crash in a remote mountainous region where they have taken every knife, water bottle, flame producing item, and almost everything else necessary for survival anywhere away from you.........right before you board. :P.   It happens!

In that situation I would like an ice skate, a soccer ball, a beach full of fed-ex packages and at least one corpse wearing my size shoes.

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2013, 01:17:18 PM »
.....or at the very least , a surviving member of a Urugayan rugby team! :drool:
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 07:15:26 PM by wolfy »

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2013, 01:41:27 PM »

Sorry, WI_W, if you thought I inferred that this was a pointless topic.  That wasn't my intention at all, but I agree with Wilderbeast.  I've been in survival situations before, but they involved being 400 feet below the surface of the Pacific Ocean with several thousand feet of ocean below that on a submarine with fire or flooding or both at the same time.  Totally different scenario than what you're referring to in your original question, but the survival aspects are the same.  Planning, preparation, and training by myself and those around me kept my ass alive.  I don't see the difference between what I've described and a "bushcraft" situation other than it being totally different scenarios.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Water Stone
« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2013, 06:53:46 PM »
Wilderbeast, Imnukensc no offense taken here.

In my original post the context of the question is that you're already in a "Survival Situation" (be it your fault or not).

I know that each scenario dictates a different priority but what I'm getting at is, in a situation where you were hundreds of miles from civilization and you had nothing but the cloths on your back and the knowledge in your head; What would be the highest priority to effect you survival?

Or, what's the first "project" you would commit calories, hydration and brain power to in order to effect survival?

I've never been in a survival situation (and hope never to be) so I'm looking forward to seeing your responses...   :)

You brought up a good point and I appreciate your contribution, I was just hoping for a suggestions on what would you do if you happen to find yourself in this situation.

FYI, countless thousands find themselves in Wilderness Survival Situations through no fault of their own most of them are refugees fleeing political and or religious persecution.  One of my very good friends is a Uganda national who has many relatives who have escape death only to have to scratch out an existence in the isolated Bush, many of them were under the age of 16.  If you interested Goggle The Invisible Children or Joseph Kony.

Offline USN Ret

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2013, 07:02:34 PM »
First priority is air - as a SCUBA diver this could be a legitimate concern in a survival situation.

After that would be shelter (clothing, fire, etc) to maintain body temp..  Water is third.

Offline Southern Illinoisian

• Whetstone +
  • You and you come with me the rest of you panic...
« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2013, 10:01:34 PM »
Although this is a tough question and sitting here looking at the screen for a while I believe that I would have to go with a good knife. Some of the things going through my head were as follows.

Fire: fire bow, flint/steel, other resources from the land. So I would need/want a knife to manufacture those items.

Water/container: you aren't going to be able to disinfect water without a fire, unless you are going to make a coyote hole and lets face it you can still get sick from that. And you are going to be able to boil water with hot rocks in a concavity of a log. I haven't done it yet but it is on my list to do.

Shealter: No you don't need a knife to create a good debris shelter but, you will expend a lot more calories doing so. I believe that having a really good micro climate is worth its weight in gold, and a good night sleep.

If I were in a survival situation the first task that I would do would build fire/fire wood, second search for a water source, third catch up on some sleep. I have a 1 yr old. lol. Thanks for the good post. 
"If ever again our nation stumbles upon unfunded paper, it shall surely be like death to our body politic. This country will crash." - George Washington

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Water Stone
« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2013, 06:59:16 PM »
Although this is a tough question and sitting here looking at the screen for a while I believe that I would have to go with a good knife. Some of the things going through my head were as follows.

Fire: fire bow, flint/steel, other resources from the land. So I would need/want a knife to manufacture those items.

Water/container: you aren't going to be able to disinfect water without a fire, unless you are going to make a coyote hole and lets face it you can still get sick from that. And you are going to be able to boil water with hot rocks in a concavity of a log. I haven't done it yet but it is on my list to do.

Shealter: No you don't need a knife to create a good debris shelter but, you will expend a lot more calories doing so. I believe that having a really good micro climate is worth its weight in gold, and a good night sleep.

If I were in a survival situation the first task that I would do would build fire/fire wood, second search for a water source, third catch up on some sleep. I have a 1 yr old. lol. Thanks for the good post.

I'd have to agree with you, making a fire by means of friction can be a pretty big calorie purchase but I'd want to use what strength I had going into a survival situation because after couple days of no food and no water it's going to be very difficult to start a fire on empty (probably with a headache to boot).

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 07:05:52 PM by WI_Woodsman »

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2013, 08:17:12 PM »
WI Woodsman, I'm glad you mentioned the "countless thousands" who mass-migrate and subsist on grass and roots due to political or religious persecution. Here in the States we are often lulled into thinking it will never happen to us. It's a bad policy to become so oblivious.

PMZ

• Whetstone +
« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2013, 04:00:33 PM »

Even if they do take it from you, you are still authorized to put the "contraban" in your luggage. So in all reality .... if you survive the crash and the plane is still in somewhat condition .... you still have access to your equipment.
"If ever again our nation stumbles upon unfunded paper, it shall surely be like death to our body politic. This country will crash." - George Washington

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #80 on: December 18, 2013, 04:30:48 PM »

Even if they do take it from you, you are still authorized to put the "contraban" in your luggage. So in all reality .... if you survive the crash and the plane is still in somewhat condition .... you still have access to your equipment.
There lies the rub..... in my mind, I was recalling the scene of United flight 232 that cartwheeled down the runway at the Sioux City, IA airport back in the late '80s  after a hydraulic failure.   The contents of the luggage compartment were strewn for a half mile in all directions and being redistributed over a wide area in 35 mph winds and in a standing cornfield to boot.   Finding your SAK & Bic in that situation would have very difficult! ???

• Whetstone +
« Reply #81 on: December 18, 2013, 04:58:44 PM »

There lies the rub..... in my mind, I was recalling the scene of United flight 232 that cartwheeled down the runway at the Sioux City, IA airport back in the late '80s  after a hydraulic failure.   The contents of the luggage compartment were strewn for a half mile in all directions and being redistributed over a wide area in 35 mph winds and in a standing cornfield to boot.   Finding your SAK & Bic in that situation would have very difficult! ???
I understand but if WE are all on the plane and we all survive. It will be a pretty good survival situation. ha

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #82 on: December 18, 2013, 05:26:36 PM »

I understand but if WE are all on the plane and we all survive. It will be a pretty good survival situation. ha
For years, I flew up in 1st class for FREE, using points that my wife accumulated in her weekly business sojourns to Atlanta where her job was based.  Life was good!   Then after 9-11 they made the rulings banning the personal carry of basic survival items & life-sustaining necessities that I wouldn't leave the house without, let alone travel thousands of miles unprepared for eventualities beyond my control.

For that reason, I haven't flown since......nor will I, until those draconian rules are relaxed!  DAGNABIT >:(

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2013, 12:57:18 AM »
I'm flying to Hotlanta soon.  My first stop after the car rental is for a knife, water, and a coupla space blankets.  Hafta can everything a few days later to fly home.  But I won't get caught with my pants down and my mother in the car.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #84 on: December 19, 2013, 05:49:14 AM »
I'm flying to Hotlanta soon.  My first stop after the car rental is for a knife, water, and a coupla space blankets.  Hafta can everything a few days later to fly home.  But I won't get caught with my pants down and my mother in the car.

Max,  buy good stuff,  before leaving mail the stuff back to yourself at home,  next time you visit mail it back to where you'll be staying, or if visting with your Mom,  leave the stuff with her until you return.

The crap we all have to go through to pacify politicians is silly,  we ought to hire adults in the first place,  then have them go through a training process on their own dime before they start work,  and we shouldn't promote them when they screw up.   >:(
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #85 on: December 19, 2013, 06:01:37 AM »
Yeah,  Mom's flying in from Kauai.  Island life isn't her cup of tea.  Going for a homesteading plot.  Another 30 acres butting up to the initial buy is available.  So we're gearing up to develop the land for self sustainability.  North GA is ideal.  If it works out...
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #86 on: December 19, 2013, 07:04:23 AM »
Yeah,  Mom's flying in from Kauai.  Island life isn't her cup of tea.  Going for a homesteading plot.  Another 30 acres butting up to the initial buy is available.  So we're gearing up to develop the land for self sustainability.  North GA is ideal.  If it works out...

Good for you guy's,  My Sister in law has lived on Kauai for the last 35 years and loves it, it's a great place to visit but I'll take the East Coast here any day.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline abo4ster

• Whetstone +
    • Master Woodsman
« Reply #87 on: February 02, 2014, 11:52:59 AM »

In that situation I would like an ice skate, a soccer ball, a beach full of fed-ex packages and at least one corpse wearing my size shoes.

Ha!  I was out at David Wescott's a couple months ago and he has those Wilson handprint volleyballs all over his office.  He and Steve Watts were the consultants for Castaway.  Fireplow, ice skate axe, stone tools, etc. were all them.  Good stuff and great example of needing to be able to adapt to the situation.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #88 on: February 02, 2014, 11:56:15 AM »
Wilson! :banana:

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #89 on: February 02, 2014, 12:01:52 PM »
That durn iceskate scene gives me nightmares.

Guess it's because of having braces in the 60's...owww.
Hunter S, Thompson

• Whetstone +
« Reply #90 on: February 03, 2014, 03:58:33 PM »
That durn iceskate scene gives me nightmares.

Guess it's because of having braces in the 60's...owww.

AAAhhhh back when braces were made of wood.

Offline customfiresteels

• Mill File+
« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2014, 08:22:51 AM »
Highest priority to me varies with the situation. If it is freezing cold then it is shelter, if it is very hot then it is water and so on. (rule of three's)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 03:28:04 AM by customfiresteels »
I will defend my rights, GOD help those who doubt me.

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #92 on: April 27, 2014, 10:46:22 AM »
Well I can now give the official NASAR answer to this question.  Positive Mental Attitude aka Will to Live.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #93 on: April 27, 2014, 10:59:00 AM »

Mail it to yourself back home right before you go to the airport.

Offline Mudman

• Whetstone +
« Reply #94 on: April 27, 2014, 11:48:32 AM »
First priority for me would be air.  :D

After that water, then shelter.

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Water Stone
« Reply #95 on: April 27, 2014, 12:22:12 PM »
Well I can now give the official NASAR answer to this question.  Positive Mental Attitude aka Will to Live.

What's the first "project" you would commit calories, hydration and brain power to in order to effect survival?

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #96 on: April 27, 2014, 02:46:20 PM »

What's the first "project" you would commit calories, hydration and brain power to in order to effect survival?

For me, that took a moment to ponder. You said I was committing "hydration" to the project, so that tells me I have a source of potable water to generation some sweat, right?  ;)

Basically it would b a toss up depending upon some immediate factors.
If I had my lighter with me, I'd consider a fire something I could put together in just a few moments, so my priority would probably be shelter. That would definitely be the case if the weather was threatening in any way.
But if I knew I was only going to get fire with much effort, and stick-rubbing, I'd have to put my effort into that first before wearing myself out building a shelter. Best case scenario with me and friction fires would be an all day project.  :P
Rain: shelter first. No rain: fire first, then shelter.
In a typical non-survival situation, I always prefer to get my shelter secured, and then relax building and tending the fire. Of course, under those conditions I always have a reliable means for making fire, so it's relaxing, and not panic time.
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #97 on: April 28, 2014, 07:30:57 PM »

From there NASAR is teaching that it depends on what will kill you first.  If it is the cold rain build a shelter and fire.  If it is dehydration find water.  I agree with that by the way. 

I would add to their training that keeping busy doing something helps you keep that PMA.  Setting around feeling sorry for yourself would be a killer. 

Offline rolandsilvajr

• Mill File+
« Reply #98 on: April 28, 2014, 08:07:27 PM »
Survival has and always will be first priority on core temperature control. If you can maintain your proper body temperature then hydration is next then based on how remote and probability of rescued then food or rescue next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #99 on: April 28, 2014, 09:25:28 PM »
Warmth and shelter!

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!