Author Topic: Hike in search of Brookies  (Read 424 times)

Offline Boreas

• Whetstone +
Hike in search of Brookies
« on: January 12, 2014, 09:06:15 AM »
Yesterday I was out with a group of friends fishing. A buddy of mine is an avid fisherman and knows a lot of great spots. One he planned to show us was a little known brook trout lake where he had caught some 4 pounders in the past. We went for an hour long drive out of town to a small road by a cattle ranch, no lake in site. "Here we are", he says, and proceeds to lead us into the bush. It was a great 5km (3 mile?) walk in through the snow. Beautiful mixed wood forest. We set some snares on the way in for hare(in case the fishing was bad). Once we got to the lake we drilled our holes, set or lines and make up a fire to relax around.
Not a fish was seen or heard from, but it was a great day out. It was night when we left, but the moon and starts were enough to find our trail and snares. No bunnies either, oh well, good practice nonetheless.
As a side note, I'm currently dealing with a mild case of snow blindness as a result of this trip. Anyone else ever experience this? I don't recommend it highly, quite uncomfortable. Ever try making a pair of snow goggles?

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
Re: Hike in search of Brookies
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 09:21:18 AM »
Glad you got out even if they weren't biting- some times those are as good a day as any! 

Sorry to hear about the snow blindness, that's gotta hurt.  From what I've read, that is extremely uncomfortable- hope you recover fast!!