Author Topic: 2014 Draco's day hikes  (Read 2800 times)

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
2014 Draco's day hikes
« on: May 26, 2014, 11:34:05 AM »
I normally go to pretty much the same 6 or 7 locations for day hikes so I have not posted a lot of them because I thought it might be boring to others.  In the new tradition that Zammer created I will put some pictures in this thread from time to time.  I will try not to be too redundant. 

5/25/15

It is Memorial Day weekend so I thought it fitting that I hike the North Country Trail section that goes by the Fort Custer National Cemetery.  It was a chance to leave the trail for a few minutes and visit my mothers and fathers graves. 

The trail crosses the middle of a beaver pond.  This trail was created before there were too many rules about these things.  Today I am guessing that trail would never be created.  This pond must have some connection to the Kalamazoo River because after Enbridge spilled over a million gallons of tar sand crude oil this pond had a oil sheen on it. The beavers have nearly made a comeback but the ducks and geese still don't seem to want to use it.   

Frogs are also back and they were croaking looking for love while I was out there.  Good to see them because the mosquitoes were terrible.  Eat faster little guy you are not keeping up. 

I all most always see deer in this section.  Not today as the mosquitoes were keeping me moving too fast to move quietly.  I also have seen coyote in this area and heard them talking while I was there today. 

Flowers were out and so were the big bumble bees. 

The trail is around 3 miles long and this grove of red pine are near the end where I turn around.  I use these weekend day hikes to test out new gear and like to use this area for trying out new things or just making sure old gear still works.  I rarely go out on the weekend without some thing I want to try or test.  During the week my hikes are more for the exercise than testing. 

This trip I was setting up my Gatewood Cape in tarp mode for the first time.  I think I will do a review of this product so I will leave the rest of the pictures for that. 

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: 2014 Draco's day hikes
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 11:41:36 AM »
Pretty area, Draco! :thumbsup:   It's nice to have spots like that close at hand where you can just pick up and go at whim............but I can almost hear the whine from the 'skeeters. :doh:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 06:35:17 PM »
Cool beans Draco...nice start to your thread, shame about that oil spill, good to see some life returning to that pond. I'll be checking back in to see what shenanigans you've been up too...  :popcorn:
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 07:17:49 PM »
Cool spot, for sure! :thumsbup:

Lemme tell you about 'skeeters! Yikes! Manitoba's Official Bird is the 'Skeeter!

We export 'em...  8)

So, where exactly is this place?

And it's near where your parents are buried? That's kinda nice to be bale to drop by like that, I'd think...
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 08:20:31 PM »
Thanks guys.  Kanukkarhu, Fort Custer is between Battle Creek and Agusta MI.  It was a big army base at one time.  Now it is a small reserve base a fraction of the size.  There is a National Cemetery there are not only US service men and women are buried but but the fort was also used as a POW camp during WWII and there are 26 German Soldiers buried there as well.  The camp held some 4000 prisoners at it peak.  My dad fought during WWII but I still like walking through the area where the prisoners were buried.  I can imagine these guys were just following orders and from what my parents told me when the war ended many of them did not want to go home.  They had it much better here than they did back home.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 08:40:34 PM »
Same thing happened here.  There were Italian POWs in barracks out at our state park during WWII who remained in the U.S. after hostilities ceased.

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 05:49:01 PM »
Great pics.  Please keep posting - we won't tire of them....I promise.

Offline brush_loper

• Mill File+
    • Brushloper Bushcraft
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 02:58:39 PM »
Nice photography!

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 06:34:17 PM »
Nice looking area you have available, and your pics are great!  That's an interesting story about the base and the POW's.

Don't worry about redundancy, post as much as you can!

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 05:26:54 PM »
I have been out but I just have not taken a lot of pictures.  Here are a few from the Ott Preserve where I often do short day hikes.  They have put a new section of the shore to shore trail that stretches across Michigan. I have mixed feelings as it takes away some of the remote feeling of the area by making trails that are so improved.  I was told they had to do it for the grant money because it had to be wheelchair accessible.   I like that it added another mile and a half of trail and I admit when the bugs are out they are not as bad on this trail due to the openness.  Anyway it is here to stay so here are a few shots. 

It was a beautiful day to be out.  Temps around 50 so it was perfect for hiking in my book.  No bugs and able to take a nice relaxing lunch.  See the thread on baking blueberry muffins. 
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 05:37:20 PM by Draco »

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2014, 05:35:58 PM »
Okay one more for today.  I think it was about a month ago when I found this guy.  Someday he will grow up to be a monster snapper than will take your finger off with one swift snap.  But for now he is just a cute little baby snapper. 

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2014, 05:38:06 PM »
The autumn colors appear to be at almost the same stage here in Nebraska, Draco. :thumbsup:  Kind of a bummer on your trail's development, but on the other hand if I were wheelchair-bound, I'd be mighty thankful just to be able to get out there to hear the birds and view the changing of the seasons! :)

That little snapper looks ornery, even as a tyke! :pissed:

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2014, 05:49:53 PM »
He would have loved to take a nip out of my finger if I had let him.  The indignity of being picked up and photographed.   :rofl: 

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2014, 06:41:25 PM »
Nice place and nice pics Draco.  I have big snappers in the reservoir and never see any little ones.  I figure the big ones eat the little ones.  Guess not.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2014, 07:54:11 PM »
I don't know how snapper lay their eggs but I actually found two of these really close to each other in a sandy area.  Don't know if he had just dug his way out or if he was sunning himself.  We have a lot of red tail hawks in the area and I wondered if they would find him a tasty morsel as well.  I put him in the weeds on the water side of the trail so hopefully he found his way to the pond.