Author Topic: What is your favorite method for making water safe to drink?  (Read 10928 times)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
What is your favorite method for making water safe to drink?
« on: October 15, 2014, 01:59:30 PM »
There are a LOT of options out there. The newest ones seem to be the UV pen sterilizers. There are chemical treatments ranging from chlorine bleach to iodine tincture, to purpose-made commercial preparations. Filters ranging from straw size to bulk filters built into 5 gallon buckets.

What do you prefer to use to make your drinking water safe when you are to far in to carry enough water for your needs?

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Re: What is your favorite method for making water safe to drink?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 02:07:21 PM »
I am on river trips or on a lake on most camps.  I pretty much always have a fire.  Boiling is full proof.

Hiker Pro otherwise.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 02:55:33 PM »
Depends.  If I know there are lots of cool running clear streams I just take Aquamira drops.  If I know I am going to have to drink swamp or lake water then I have a Sawyer Mini.  That works really well and is easier than pumps. 

Offline jackalope10mm

• Mill File
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 03:59:31 PM »
Boil it when out and about, most always have a small fire going.

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 04:01:05 PM »
Boiling or if necessary on the move, one of the filter pens, but do carry iodine and tabs.

If possible, krausened is preferable.
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 04:30:32 PM »
Boiling for me.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 05:37:54 PM »
Boiling in the winter, Micropur tabs or a filter in the warmer months.
Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline randyt

• Whetstone +
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 05:42:41 PM »
I either boil it or use re-sublimated iodine crystals.

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 05:51:26 PM »
Boiling for me too. 

When I was a young guy the Army/Navy surplus stores were full of water purification tablets.  We used those in the high lakes but they were ineffective against Giardia.  I don't know what they were but they might have been halazone tablets.  Anyway in my old age boiling is the only way for me.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 07:38:31 PM »
Favorite...
   Get water from a running source, preferably right out of the ground from a spring or well, strain/filter any large stuff that may have been acquired from the water as it goes into the container, using a cloth or bandanna,
then boil.
Fool proof for the most part. Or at least from what I understand, right now.

With the exception of chemicals. Don't know of anything to get the chemicals like field run off( pesticides, weed killers & such), out of the water...
 :(
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 07:42:34 AM »
I don't know how you all boil that much water.  When I am going 10 miles or more in hot weather I can go through 3 to 5 liters a day to stay hydrated.  The AquaMaria drops I mentioned are chlorine dioxide and does not leave a bad flavor like iodine does.  With how ineffective iodine is I have never understood why anyone recommends that.  Cody does in his book and it never made sense to me why that recommendation in an otherwise great book. 

I normally include the chart from the CDC.  This is the best one page chart ever on water purification.

http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/pdf/drinking/backcountry_water_treatment.pdf

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 09:43:13 AM »
Boiling or if necessary on the move, one of the filter pens, but do carry iodine and tabs.

If possible, krausened is preferable.
:thumbsup: LOL missed that one last night. Me, too.
 ;D

Draco,
   I can't speak for everyone else, but I posted my "Favorite", because it boiling is the favorite way for me. I also have tablets, some bleach , iodine, & a filter straw. But , boiling is my favorite, because to me, starting a small fire( not stove, unless necessary), and taking a break while the water comes to a boil and then maybe making a drink like coffee tea or cocoa, is relaxing to me & really doesn't take that much time I think. I might do that a couple of times a day, but only worry about filling canteens in the evening, when it is the warmest around here, & I would be in camp most of the time anyway not traveling around. Boiling water in a liter pot over & over 3-5 times for filling canteens doesn't take much time nor hassle the way I see it.
 :) 

And if I am not mistaken there is a "wait time" for most chemical purifiers anyway, so why not rest a bit while you wait. Of course if you are in a hurry to travel you could purify in one container while drinking from the other(s). But I would rather sit & wait for water to boil if I can.

And, to be honest, my idea of fun when camping, is not to hike much when it is hot. If I do want to cover some ground, it is in the morning usually, & not at a pace that makes the sweat pour out of me. But, each person likes what they like.

I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014, 11:55:49 AM »
I don't know how you all boil that much water.  When I am going 10 miles or more in hot weather I can go through 3 to 5 liters a day to stay hydrated.  The AquaMaria drops I mentioned are chlorine dioxide and does not leave a bad flavor like iodine does.  With how ineffective iodine is I have never understood why anyone recommends that.  Cody does in his book and it never made sense to me why that recommendation in an otherwise great book. 

I normally include the chart from the CDC.  This is the best one page chart ever on water purification.

http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/pdf/drinking/backcountry_water_treatment.pdf

Draco that is a great link. I'll add...usually if I have to go 10 miles or more in a day... I drive.  I'm sure on foot it is a balancing act and understand why boiling would not be the best option.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014, 01:29:28 PM »
I use Chlorine Dioxide tablets for cold water and I boil water that will be used for hot drinks or for cooking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Learning: a continuation of the failure process"

Offline Wood Trekker

• Water Stone
    • Wood Trekker
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2014, 01:54:51 PM »
I mainly filter (Sawyer Mini). In winter I melt snow for water, and if there is any running water I use Chlorine Dioxide tablets.

Offline Punty

• Whetstone +
  • Banned forever from that other forum
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2014, 02:20:05 PM »
  Honestly, I haven't been to any commonly travelled backcountries, or any place with agriculture nearby, that I have had to purify my water.  Mostly I just been taking it from the lake or the springs near my cabin.

Yeah. there are animal droppings and all that stuff around....but I've been drinking it my whole life with no problems, so I'm not going to bother to purify it now.  There are some water sources I won't touch..but there are plenty of water sources that are fine in the Maine backcountry as is.....think of it as "Poland Springs".

So, my guess on favorite way to purify it is boiling...but mainly because that involves some sort of fire. Otherwise, my Sawyer mini.
If the iron be blunt, and he do not whet the edge, then must he put to more strength: but wisdom is profitable to direct.
Ecclesiastes 10:10

Offline U.W.

• Whetstone +
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2014, 03:52:30 PM »
Sawyer Mini for filter.  Small eye dropper bottle 2/3 filled with fresh bleach for treating the water with (I do three drops per liter + time), if I feel filtering alone might not be enough (that is the rare occasion though).

If it's water I'm cooking with (including hot coffee/tea/coco) - I don't bother filtering it, as I will always be bringing that water to a boil.

u.w.

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2014, 06:04:25 PM »

And if I am not mistaken there is a "wait time" for most chemical purifiers anyway, so why not rest a bit while you wait. Of course if you are in a hurry to travel you could purify in one container while drinking from the other(s). But I would rather sit & wait for water to boil if I can.

And, to be honest, my idea of fun when camping, is not to hike much when it is hot. If I do want to cover some ground, it is in the morning usually, & not at a pace that makes the sweat pour out of me. But, each person likes what they like.

The drops I mention is only 15 minutes wait time.  I normally go 30 just to be safe but I hike while it is "cooking."   What is really nice about the filter is you can drink it right away and if you got it from a mountain stream it is usually ice cold.  Just what the doctor ordered on a hot day. 

I know not everyone wants to go that far.  I like going the places less traveled.  My perfect trail is 30 or 40 mile loop that is so rarely traveled that if it were not for where they have removed pieces of deadfall with the chain saw you would not even know the trail went that way.  Great scenery along the way is a plus   ;)    I like places like the Superior Hiking Trail and the North Country Trail sections but I try to do those when there are not any crowds there.  Sometimes the best times to be alone is when it is so hot and mosquito thick that most people in their right minds wouldn't go there. 

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2014, 06:48:37 PM »
Thanks, Draco! For your polite reply. I've walked parts of that Superior trail years ago , but not the one in Mi.. Maybe some day. I look forward to it. My older brother & my lil sister live in Mich. ( A bit more to the South though. And I have friends from "Pastie" country & the "Yooper" area.) Maybe I will get the chance to hit that Michigan trail, or the Superior one again, sometime before I can't do it anymore.
 Regardless, I will still use "boiling" as my "favorite".

BTW folks...Am I the only one who noticed the word , "Favorite" way of treating water, in the title of the topic?

Many of us know many of the different ways of treating water before imbibing it.

Maybe I missed something along the way.
 :shrug:

Anyway... Good to see all of your water purifying methods. "Favorite", or not.
 ;)

Offline Duece111

• Whetstone +
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2014, 07:42:33 PM »
I carry those coghlan water purification tabs but i usually just boil,its just the way to go for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline willis

• Mill File+
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2014, 10:27:14 AM »
Most of the water in the Appalachian mtns.has no sediment and Polar Pure is my favorite bug killer.

Offline Electric Cowboy

• Whetstone +
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2014, 02:09:40 PM »
Boiling, sometimes if real dirty,I run it thru a Millbank Bag, then Boil it.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 04:43:30 PM by Electric Cowboy »
Deus Vult

Offline Punty

• Whetstone +
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2014, 11:33:54 AM »
  Now that I think of it, my favorite way to purify water is to mix it with lots and lots of Jim Beam.

If the iron be blunt, and he do not whet the edge, then must he put to more strength: but wisdom is profitable to direct.

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2014, 11:54:45 AM »
LOL  8)
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline Squall

• Mill File+
  • The book was better.
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2015, 02:34:34 PM »

With the exception of chemicals. Don't know of anything to get the chemicals like field run off( pesticides, weed killers & such), out of the water...

What about some sort of carbon (charcoal) treatment? Anyone have a background in chemical engineering?  Could someone realistically drop a few chunks of charcoal into a wide mouth bottle and soak it for a bit to leech out any likely chemicals?  Filter out with a bandanna?
Just a backyard bushcrafting neophyte.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2015, 02:39:58 PM »

What about some sort of carbon (charcoal) treatment? Anyone have a background in chemical engineering?  Could someone realistically drop a few chunks of charcoal into a wide mouth bottle and soak it for a bit to leech out any likely chemicals?  Filter out with a bandanna?

Had this discussion after New Orleans flooded.  Distilling is best but even then the petroleum products go up first.  Tough gig getting good water in the rough with those contaminants.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Punty

• Whetstone +
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2015, 02:45:09 PM »
  Berkey Bottles, or anything with a carbon filter will clear pollutants. I got one for the wife's "emergency bag" because she works in the city....next to the Charles river in Cambridge....and if you need water from the Charles, you better have a damn good filter. :)

For $20 or so, it's about the most cost efficient way to filter polluted water that I have found.

http://www.amazon.com/Berkey-Sport-Bottle-Portable-Purifier/dp/B0026OKYPE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423086240&sr=8-1&keywords=berkey+bottle

The drawback, of course, is that carbon filters have a relatively limited lifespan.

Offline pap11y

• Whetstone +
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2015, 03:13:00 PM »
sawyer mini or lifestraw. nothing better than water straight from a river...

I only like warm boiled water for my coffee/tea..

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2015, 03:31:37 PM »
Thanks, Punty.  :cheers:       Man, THAT song brought back some memories......some of them anyway! :P

I think I might go ahead and have Heather order me one of those bottles.  The only thing I have now is an old pump unit that I bought to take along if I ran out of drinking water on a weekend canoe trip down the Missouri.  Pretty cumbersome. :-\
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Punty

• Whetstone +
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2015, 05:22:09 PM »
sawyer mini or lifestraw. nothing better than water straight from a river...

I only like warm boiled water for my coffee/tea..

I love the Sawyer mini, but it only filters bacteria, not pollutants...nor does lifestraw.  Water from the Charles would likely just render them unusable.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2015, 06:31:04 PM »
Something to look in to, for your purifying needs.
 ;)

Not so sure of the product. I don't own one. But, a very interesting method that reminds me of the SODUS method, but using new technology.

Not as inexpensive as some other filters cost that do many gallons of water, maybe. But, not too bad a cost if it works well & supposedly takes care of some crap in the water like heavy metals, etc., you really would rather not drink. Ya get what ya pay for,eh? If it really works... Does yours?
 ;)

Here is the product through Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Puralytics-SolarBag-Water-Purifier-3-Litre/dp/B007T4IC8W

And here is some background on a testing project:
http://www.wqpmag.com/sites/default/files/sept14_puralytics_solar_treatment.pdf

YMMV.. Just something I would share for those who may be interested. I have no affiliation with these folks & their product. Just thought it was worth looking at and sharing here at B&B..
 ;)

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2015, 01:13:13 PM »
That is interesting JB.   I know sunlight will kill organisms but this line on Amazons web site hits my skeptical meter.

In addition to treating pathogens, the SolarBag also treats heavy metals, pesticides, petrochemicals

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2015, 01:20:19 PM »
That is interesting JB.   I know sunlight will kill organisms but this line on Amazons web site hits my skeptical meter.

In addition to treating pathogens, the SolarBag also treats heavy metals, pesticides, petrochemicals

Here is the link to their website. There may be something under the "Technology" tab that may help. Or, perhaps a search for independent lab tests, or EPA tests, might help with finding out if the claims hold true.
 :shrug:

I am not all that interested in the product at this time, so my focus of attention on it is not worth my time right now. But, I do recall reading something about "nano-technology" that I am unfamiliar with. That might get me back to this website later when I feel I need to know more, and have the time.
 ;)

G'luck!

Offline Jbradshaw

• Mill File+
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2015, 03:34:42 PM »
I use an MSR autoflow gravity filter. It uses a straw filter. I like that I can just fill it up and let it do the job with little work on my end.
You do need an ample water source though. No filling up in little puddles. The only time it has been been problematic was Long's Peak in Rocky Mt National Park. We backpacked up on one day and spent the night at Boulder field to do our summit run in the morning. The water source there was a stream running down in between the rocks. I had a hard time finding somewhere with enough access to fill the bag, and then nowhere to hang it.  Ended up having to filter about 1/2 a liter at a time and holding the bag up myself.

Offline caoutdoorsman

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2015, 12:10:58 AM »
Spring, summer and fall: Iodine tincture 2%

Winter: Boiling

Iodine takes a lot longer to disinfect cold water, but during the warmer seasons it is the most convenient for me while I'm out hiking.

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2015, 08:27:44 AM »
I use a general ecology  aand have been very happy with it. Have always want to try a filter straw but don't quite trust them. The ability to drink straight out of a stream is really cool, but how well do they work for viruses and cyst's?
Nice matters

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2015, 09:21:40 AM »
If we are at camp I just boil water for most needs. 

In the old days I drank freely from creeks in the high country of Colorado and anywhere north of the tree line in Canada.  Today I am afraid of all the water.

I had a filter straw but didn't trust it so I always go back to boiling.  A friend bought a MSR pump filter and he likes it so maybe I will try one of those.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)