Author Topic: Training or Using Dogs to Find Sheds  (Read 398 times)

Offline WesinND

• Whetstone +
Training or Using Dogs to Find Sheds
« on: April 09, 2017, 08:37:37 PM »
I had an older dog that would bring sheds back to me naturally, but he's gone so I thought I'd try to teach Sam to find and fetch sheds.  I found a pair this year and have an old set I found a year or two ago, and have been using them for fun training.  I simply take them out and hide them and let him bring them back.  At first, it seemed he had no interest in picking them up, so I starting using little bits of beef stick every time he delivered.  Now, he knows how to fetch, I use him successfully for upland birds, and waterfowl, but it he shows no interest in antlers.  The beef sticks made all of the difference, he actively searches when I tell him and is getting more enthused.  I guess he just needed to be paid!  He hasn't brought me any "new" ones yet.  I'm hoping he doesn't key in on my scent on the planted antlers.

Does anyone here use their dogs to shed hunt?  How'd you train them?  Here's a video of the training:

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Re: Training or Using Dogs to Find Sheds
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 07:57:34 AM »
I read somewhere that dachshunds​ make good shed hunting dogs. I wish I had the the time to train one. I have found antlers in the yard by sheer dumb luck, but never while out and about.

Offline woodsrunner

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 06:28:54 AM »
Sam is an awesome amigo...we could use him around here....Elk and deer sheds abound...wonder if i could teach Dinga? :shrug:
Love watching your Pups at work Wes :thumbsup: :cheers:...atb...woods
'At play in the fields of the Lord'
Save a Logger...Eat a Tree Hugger!

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 10:28:39 AM »
    Max seems to have learned his tracking/herding/prey skills before he came out of the woods to us.  He is completely worthless as a squirrel/rabbit dog.  He'd be great as a chipmunk/mouse dog (except he eats them).  Birds are totally confusing to him.  He has zero interest in chewing on antlers.  So I guess he'd be pretty hard to train for sheds.  LOL.

Wouldn't trade him for the world though.

Weiner dog shed hunter huh?  Max met one one time.  Smelled like a dog but..  It was blind, kept snuggling up to Max to stay warm.  Max kept looking at me.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson