Author Topic: simple shower, Hygene...  (Read 641 times)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
simple shower, Hygene...
« on: May 17, 2017, 05:19:30 PM »
I have sponge bathed many times. I've been wanting one of these even tried making one without success.

I carry two 1 liter water bottles. one to wet down and one to rinse? Anyway as I am tarp camping either with a net tent or hammock underneath I have a way for a quick privacy shelter for washing.

I think this is the best option. does anyone use one of those black collapsible 5 gallon solar shower bag things?

On sale right now for $9.99 on site. It's $16.99 on amazon.

ships from washington state, made in that state with recycled materials, and they employ disabled folks. Be here in 3 day's.

https://www.simple-shower.com/collections/frontpage

This would be much lighter and more compact buy not the volume for real rinsing off.

https://www.amazon.com/Bottle-Blasters-Water-Cap-Accessory/dp/B01K84TTT0/ref=pd_sim_468_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01K84TTT0&pd_rd_r=35K45H2ESW7MFZF067F7&pd_rd_w=qF7zb&pd_rd_wg=zJa8X&psc=1&refRID=35K45H2ESW7MFZF067F7

this is light and compact but look at that price!!

https://www.amazon.com/Sea-to-Summit-Pocket-Shower/dp/B001PR06WO/ref=pd_sim_468_10?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B001PR06WO&pd_rd_r=35K45H2ESW7MFZF067F7&pd_rd_w=qF7zb&pd_rd_wg=zJa8X&psc=1&refRID=35K45H2ESW7MFZF067F7
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 05:31:31 PM by xj35s »
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
Re: simple shower, Hygene...
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 05:39:56 PM »
I've got one of the Simple Showers that I keep in my trunk kit in the car. Perfect for rinsing sand off of your feet after being at the beach, or rinsing off my fishing reels after fishing in saltwater. I use it with both standard water bottles and a two liter soda bottle. Works great.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 06:30:07 PM »
I use a portable shower, might be 5 gallons but more like 3 I think.  It is black plastic with a bottom drain, and hose attached, and a small shower head you can shut off with a clamp.  You can hang it in a tree and warm it up but it takes a little bit of time to get warm. 

Take a pair of swimming trunks along and you can shower without the bother of a shelter.  They work fine for cleaning up after a couple of days and seem to last a long time if you are careful with them around sharp objects.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 06:49:14 PM »
After looking at the Simple  Shower again it occurs to me that my mother used a shower head that fit on a coke bottle to dampen clothing items she was ironing.  That is all that that is.  I bet you could get one of those somewhere just hang a litre or so bottle with a little paracord and your in business.  Not as good as 3 to 5 gallons but better than nothing.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 12:20:47 PM »
  Coming up with a compact light weight shower option for backpacking is going to be tough,  I guess a perforated cap on a bottle would be minimal,  I just can't imagine trying to get wet, soap up and rinsed off on even two liters of water,  in my opinion for anything short of a week long trip wet wipes work for me.
  If car camping I use a compact shower unit that has a small battery (4 double A batteries) operated pump that has a filtered hose that sinks to the bottom of a three or five gallon bucket, the other end has a five foot long small dia hose with a hand held shower head on the end.
  I usually hang the head on the ladder on the back of my van,  you can preheat the water or in hot weather shower with air temp water, it works great,  we've been using it for about seven years and it's still working great,  the batteries usually provide two showers a day for three to four days depending on how long you shower,  I don't remember where I purchased it, it was either REI or Eastern Mtn. Sports,  $19.95.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 09:18:00 PM »
when i was living on the mountian in hawaii.
i had a couple of 1'gal jugs that i heated a fork up and melted the holes
in the cap. 1'jug was enough to get wet soap up and rinse.

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 09:18:47 AM »
So you have to carry bottles.....?...for this reason?
Quote>
I carry two 1 liter water bottles. one to wet down and one to rinse? Anyway as I am tarp camping either with a net tent or hammock underneath I have a way for a quick privacy shelter for washing.
<Quote....

We use the 5 gal "solar shower"......just roll it up when not in use.
https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2000014865-5-Gallon-Solar-Shower/dp/B0009PUT20/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1497626212&sr=1-1&keywords=5+gal+solar+shower
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 04:21:46 PM »
Tip: the little flip caps from Dawn dish soap bottles fit great on most standard sized water bottles necks
"Nancy, you're me darlin, I loves ye all to bits! I'll climb up to your chamber, and under your mountainous...."

Offline ThoseWhoWander

• Mill File
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 10:00:48 AM »
I used one of those 5 gallon solar heated bags from Walmart and it worked pretty well.  I wish it had a wider mouth to let water in.  I've used it about 3 times and it's holding up so far but I'm pretty skeptical it'll last too much longer.  Nothing like a warm shower after a long hike.

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 10:18:13 PM »
Also, boxed wine or food service grade 5 gallon juice machine concentrate bags work great as water bladders once well cleaned out and dried...may need to use a 2L soda bottle cap or something of similar size and thread count...
"Nancy, you're me darlin, I loves ye all to bits! I'll climb up to your chamber, and under your mountainous...."

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 10:19:20 PM »
Dunkin donuts coffee comes in office delivery boxes like boxed wine and the sack inside is pretty big too...