Author Topic: Watching the sunrise 3/25/17  (Read 456 times)

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
Watching the sunrise 3/25/17
« on: March 26, 2017, 08:47:37 AM »
I actually had a few activities plan for my river outing but several things worked against me. First I realized I had brought my trusty camera without the memory card.  :doh: Next as I made my way to the area where I do my on land activities I heard the sounds of other humans in the distance so since I'm pretty much trespassing when I stop along the river I decided to just enjoy the paddle and my visit with mother nature. It was beautifully clear and 49 degrees.

I really wanted to watch the sun come up and was able to do that without a hitch!

I'll take a less than perfect canoeing day any time.

:canoe:

Creek
Axes Rock!

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Re: Watching the sunrise 3/25/17
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 09:32:15 AM »
I didn't take many  pics for years because I didn't want to spoil the experience.  Kinda regret that.  I could've squeezed more time in.  But I moved pretty fast and loose.  I kinda look back on a lot of those moments and think, "That piece of time is all mine."

Sunrises are the best.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 09:41:45 AM »
I couldn't agree more. I was going to use a little DIY alcohol stove to brew my tea. That's what I wanted to share but oh well.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 01:59:15 PM »
There's a LOT of old canoe trip photos that I could share, but they're all shot on Kodachrome......mig ht as well be on glass-plate negatives or tintypes. :P

So......I really appreciate your efforts, Creek!  They bring back a lot of memories. :thumbsup:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 02:23:18 PM »
Can't do it before our yearly summer mountain sojourn but this fall I want to start transferring old photos to digital.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 03:32:31 PM »
What's the reason you couldn't have tea in the canoe? Find a flat rock and fire it up.

That last snow we got is lingering. The ground under is super sloppy.  I hope April is drier than the last two months.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 03:50:36 PM »
You missed the part where I'm probably trespassing on land as I explore the river xj. There was noise of some activity so I decided to not venture on dry land. Lots would depend on possible attitudes I would encounter. I just didn't feel the need to risk it. I had fun and that was the main thing. Good exercise too.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline woodsorrel

• Whetstone +
    • NatureOutside
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 04:06:25 PM »
Sometimes it's nice to get rid of those ancillary activities and just observe/enjoy nature.

- Woodsorrel
The best backpacks are named for national parks or mountain ranges. Steer clear of those named for landfills.
Bushcraft tips and tricks:  www.NatureOutside.c om

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 12:42:59 AM »
You missed the part where I'm probably trespassing on land as I explore the river xj. There was noise of some activity so I decided to not venture on dry land. Lots would depend on possible attitudes I would encounter. I just didn't feel the need to risk it. I had fun and that was the main thing. Good exercise too.

Creek

I meant inside the canoe.  Never reaching dry land. Water that calm wouldn't risk a spill too much. I would have probably used the alchy inside my nimblewell on the floor.

That water isn't considered trespassing is it? We have a water trail that one land owner claims to own the rights to the river across his land. He doesn't but he will hassle paddlers.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 08:22:34 AM »
I love sunrises on the water.  Nothing like em!  True therapy for the soul if there ever was such a thing.
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/