Author Topic: Tick Control  (Read 350 times)

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
Tick Control
« on: April 21, 2017, 11:17:29 AM »
Wasn't quite sure where to put this, but thought some of y'all may be interested in this since I've seen many of you mention ticks/Lyme disease.  I have no experience with this product nor any monetary interest.  This certainly won't help while you're "out and about" in the woods and fields, but it may be something you might want to try for around the house.  Just passing it along FWIW.

https://www.outdoorhub.com/reviews/2017/04/20/great-new-way-kill-ticks-carry-lyme-disease/

The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
Re: Tick Control
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 11:32:11 AM »
Thanks for the info. I've already had one latch on that came from the back yard.
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 11:57:00 AM »

Depending on the cost and the size of your property it might be a worth while investment,  personally, though I live in a wooded area smack in the middle of deer tick heaven, and my property is abutted on three sides by neighbors who may or may not care about ticks,  actually, in the 28 years that I've lived here I've never found but a few ticks on me or the family pets in all that time.
  But, in mild weather seasons(spring, summer, and fall) I hit the woods at least a couple of times a week hiking, fishing, small game hunting, or day hiking,  and have picked off up to a couple of dozen in the course of a days outing,  fortunately I've never been bitten, but I do use Permethrin faithfully on my clothes and gear,  and usually a topical bug repellent on most exposed skin,  and I know that works.
  I'm not knocking those tick killing tubes,  but it kind of sounds allot like rolling the dice or like betting your life on a few primitive traps to catch enough food to keep you alive in a survival situation while by passing a lake full of fishing opportunities,   in my case my yard doesn't pose much of a threat, but the local woods do and that's where I need the protection. 
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 12:14:24 PM »
I can see maybe around a residence.  Tics on Max and us are almost an everyday thing.  I had that one dig one and it was benign but usually Kelly and I get them off within hours.

...now if they came up with a chigger killer.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 12:54:49 PM »
Wow, that is a neat idea! It's interesting how they think outside the box to find a solution.

I wish they would come up with a way to kill hantavirus too.

My bug plan is a bunch of chickens. They are very good at scratching around in the leaf litter looking for bugs to eat.

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 01:50:21 PM »
There are things worse than Lyme disease you can get from ticks.  I have three dogs and we are out in the forest every day.  I check my dogs regularly for ticks, last spring, I checked two of the dogs found no ticks and thought the third dog was OK as well.  I was very wrong, my German shepherd, was loaded with ticks. I did not realize this until she started displaying symptoms, that looked like sever hip dysplasia.  She was losing control of her hind legs, this was pretty sudden, so I loaded her into the truck and took her to the vet.

The vet advised that she had a form of paralysis, associated with tick bites.  He gave her some meds and gave me a flea and tick treatment for the other dogs.  Her symptoms went away within 12 hours, and after the treatments she had no more problems with ticks, for some reason the other two dogs had no ticks. 

After that experience I check all of my animals daily.  The highest probability of tick exposure is in the spring, in my locale, after it gets hot and dry, the ticks seem to die off.

I killed a mountain lion that was just a little too inclined to frequent my horse pasture, when we skinned him he was loaded with ticks, I had probably done him a great favor by shooting him.

The most probable cause of tick interaction with humans is from our pets, they go outside lay down in the grass and then bring the ticks in for us to "enjoy"..!

Contracting Lyme disease is on the order of being struck by lightening.  The name is derived from one of the first associated cases of the disease in Lyme Connecticut, one of the places I lived when I was in the service.  I spent a lot of time in the forest and never even saw a tick during the nearly ten years I lived there. 

If you want to see ticks, go to Florida.  My grand parents used to live there, on one of our visits when I was a small child, I was out playing with the really neat  Spanish moss that hung off the trees.  All I remember of that trip was the agony I went through while my mother and grandmother removed all of the ticks that had taken up residence on me.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 07:35:01 AM »

Your chances of contacting Lymes may be on the order of being hit by lightening,  but here in New England the odds get allot lower,  in my circle of friends who frequent the outdoors many of them (at least eight) have been or are being treated for the illness,  another has died from complications caused by the illness and one is permanently disabled with it, that's pretty serious, and now I'm told that there's a new strain up here in the North East that has morphed from Lymes that is much worse.

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 07:59:11 AM »
Heather's sister lives in New York City  :shocked: and she got REALLY sick from Lyme disease!  :spider:     I thought the only bites you had to worry about there were from rats. :shrug:
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 09:11:48 AM by wolfy »
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 08:37:59 AM »
Heather's sister lives in New York City  :shocked: and she got REALLY sick from Lyme's!  :spider:     I thought the only bites you had to worry about there were from rats. :shrug:

Rat bites are worrysome enough, but Lymes if untreated quickly can be life threatening, extremely painful,  and the series of shot treatments that one infected has to endure can be as bad or worse than the treatment for rabbies,  a good friend of mine and local gun shop owner died of heart problems brought on by Lymes,  and another close friend is in his mid 50's and is permanently disabled from the illness,  his symptoms are very much like the affects of a stroke,  he needs a cane or walker to get around, gets confused easily and has trouble forming sentences,  and he's stabilized.
  It's been a six year struggle for him,  he went through bouts of paralisis, blindness, dementia, and memory loss,  for about a month he couldn't even navigate his way around his own home,  now that he's had the "cure" he can drive again and his memory has returned,  but still has trouble talking and needs his cane or walker to get around.

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 09:03:41 AM »
There was one documented case of Lyme disease in Oregon, but the infected person was not from here, so it was not confirmed if the disease was actually contracted here or someplace else.

It is a debilitating disease and not to be taken lightly. The early symptoms are akin to the flu, and can last for years if misdiagnosed.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 09:29:54 AM »
   The one consistent fact about Lyme disease in FL is there is a huge problem in getting the facts.  Most are out of date.  A lot still severely underestimate the numbers.  There is still a problem in diagnosis (One site even states, about detection and treatment) if you don't ask for it, you won't get it.
    Not long ago on here I said there were only a handful of cases that actually were contracted it in FL.  The site has changed it's tune.  That's why I got a little antsy about that one that attached to me.  The numbers keep growing.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2017, 01:14:12 PM »
I maintain that the best defense is to make sure your animals are treated. It seems like anytime I have a tick on me is when I am in the house and one of the animals brought it in.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2017, 01:20:21 PM »
I agree totally.  We go to bed sure that we have no ticks on us and wake up with Max in bed and that creeping tickle as they try to find a tight spot to lock on.  Max has a double coat and it's pretty hard to check every inch and hair.  We get most off him right after a hike but some get by us.
Hunter S, Thompson

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2017, 01:50:38 PM »
I never have a problem with them anymore.....since I started wearing a tick collar. :lol:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2017, 02:29:57 PM »
I think my cats bring more into the house than the dogs do, I have yet to find one attached to a cat, but they will hitchhike on the cats.