Author Topic: Photobucket is no longer a viable option.  (Read 3053 times)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
Re: Photobucket is no longer a viable option.
« Reply #100 on: August 02, 2017, 06:05:32 PM »
Well, resizing won't make much difference.  >:(
Inquiring minds wanted to know, so I contacted Picturetrail Support.
Here's the scoop....falls into the category "there ain't no free lunch".
Guess I'll be checking into Imgur, and reading THEIR fine print.

Moral of the story? Don't sign up for automatic billing, because as soon as you post one picture too many, the price goes up.

Hello

------ Account level options -----

Free Accounts: 36 pics or 20 MB Storage

Level 50 - $19.95/yr Premium Account with 500 Pics or 50MB Storage

Level 51 - $29.95/yr Premium Account with 1000 Pics or 75MB Storage

Level 52 - $39.95/yr Premium Account with 1500 Pics or 100MB Storage

Level 53 - $49.95/yr Premium Account with 2000 Pics or 125MB Storage

Level 54 - $59.95/yr Premium Account with 2500 Pics or 150MB Storage

Level 55 - $69.95/yr Premium Account with 3000 Pics or 175MB Storage

Level 56 - $79.95/yr Premium Account with 3500 Pics or 200MB Storage

Level 57 - $89.95/yr Premium Account with 4000 Pics or 250MB Storage

Level 58 - $99.95/yr Premium Account with 4500 Pics or 300MB Storage

Level 59 - $109.95/yr Premium Account with 5000 Pics or 600MB Storage

Once you reach either of those limits on your account, your account will be raised to the next level.

You can always check your storage levels and pricing by logging in and selecting My Account on the upper right.  Then selecting Account Status.

The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #101 on: August 02, 2017, 08:02:45 PM »
Dusted off my old Flickr account.  What a cluster this was, getting it to display. Don't know if it's worth it, but hey....it's free..

The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #102 on: August 02, 2017, 08:09:29 PM »
Well I am glad you did that but I sure don't see myself posting more than 500 pictures or 50MB.  I had 375 in PB when I dumped my albums. 

I think the danger with picture trail is hitting the MB limit in each stage.  It won't take all that many photos to get there.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #103 on: August 02, 2017, 08:19:07 PM »
Well I am glad you did that but I sure don't see myself posting more than 500 pictures or 50MB.  I had 375 in PB when I dumped my albums. 

I think the danger with picture trail is hitting the MB limit in each stage.  It won't take all that many photos to get there.
If you re-read  the responses from Picturetrail I posted, after the 31 day trial period, you get kicked down to the "Free" account which has a 36 picture, 20 Mb limit!!!

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #104 on: August 02, 2017, 08:23:34 PM »
I am talking about the $20 level.  500 photos or 50 MB.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #105 on: August 02, 2017, 08:28:21 PM »
I am talking about the $20 level.  500 photos or 50 MB.
Ah!  Well my Scott's blood (not to mention my wife) won't be having me pay for hosting when there are free ones out there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_image-sharing_websites

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #106 on: August 02, 2017, 08:30:58 PM »
I just went back to Imgur and posted a photo into the account I set up before.  It works pretty easily too.  Not as easy as PictureTrail but not impossible.

I guess it is free, but then so was Photobucket.
(Mark Twain)

Offline upnorth

• Whetstone +
  • Working on my feather sticks
« Reply #107 on: August 07, 2017, 04:52:58 PM »
Test
http://imgur.com/a/EYFwL
Will continue when not so tired.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 04:59:34 PM by upnorth »

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #108 on: August 07, 2017, 05:08:03 PM »

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #109 on: August 07, 2017, 05:11:59 PM »
Tell him how you did it, Ol' P......I'd do it, but since you just beat me to it by seconds, it's your responsibility now. >:D
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #110 on: August 07, 2017, 05:18:08 PM »
Tell him how you did it, Ol' P......I'd do it, but since you just beat me to it by seconds, it's your responsibility now. >:D

Open up your picture in Imgur. Right click and choose "copy link address". Go to the post you're making here and click on the button in the gallery that looks like binoculars. It will give you a set of{img}{/img}(in brackets) tags with your cursor in between them. Type CTRL-V (both at the same time) and your image link will be embedded in your post.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #111 on: August 07, 2017, 05:54:38 PM »

Open up your picture in Imgur. Right click and choose "copy link address". Go to the post you're making here and click on the button in the gallery that looks like binoculars. It will give you a set of{img}{/img}(in brackets) tags with your cursor in between them. Type CTRL-V (both at the same time) and your image link will be embedded in your post.
What "looks like binoculars" is actually a tiny portrait of the Mona Lisa.....1st button on the left end of the bottom row. :coffee:

Offline upnorth

• Whetstone +
« Reply #112 on: August 07, 2017, 07:03:05 PM »

He could tell me three times and tattoo it across my forehead, and I would likely pooch it, lol. Will come back when rested, too much fresh air today. Thanks about the kukri. I bought it late last fall or winter, used it once, then stored it. Took it out on the edge of town and hacked up some wood for a nice fire. I have pics from last year I believe, and maybe months from now I will try to do a write up of my first use impressions. Thanks all for the responses, appreciated.

Offline upnorth

• Whetstone +
« Reply #113 on: August 14, 2017, 11:49:10 AM »
Maybe I have to be signed in. I will try that.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 12:14:49 PM by upnorth »

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #114 on: August 14, 2017, 06:30:47 PM »
 :banana: IT WORKED!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline upnorth

• Whetstone +
« Reply #115 on: August 17, 2017, 12:25:00 PM »
:banana: IT WORKED!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:
You fellows that use Imgur, are you clicking copy and direct link ? Or is there another option ? If I follow the same protocols on other sites, I don't want some stranger being able to access my Picasa albums. I couldn't care less about Imgur. I set that up for us outdoor and gear heads. Do the links stop at Imgur ?  It's not a super big deal but I detest Facebook etc., so I like a modicum of privacy. Thanks.

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #116 on: August 17, 2017, 02:54:38 PM »
Don't know about who can see them but I use the IMG brackets to post them directly to the website.  I also would prefer that no one can go see other images I might have posted.l 
(Mark Twain)

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #117 on: August 17, 2017, 03:47:19 PM »
In your account settings in Imgur, set it to private.  Not quite sure what you're asking on the other question, but on the share links in Imgur, I use the BB code.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline buzzacott

• Whetstone +
« Reply #118 on: September 24, 2017, 12:13:32 AM »
Photobucket has pretty much broken the internet, but hey, it's their service and they are entitled to charge what they like for it. Normal market forces will see if they made a wise decision or not.

I have wordpress site. It's a blog, a free one. and I discovered I can upload pictures into my media folder in the back end of the site and then embed the pictures here on this forum and it's pretty simple and not dissimilar to doing it with photobucket in the good old days before they got greedy.

Tests:

Yup. Works OK.
Don't kill unless for the pot. Don't fell a green tree for a pole if there are dry poles nearby. Study the bush, learn to read its secrets; watch the mason fly building and go to the ant for another lesson... then you'll realise the bush is your friend.
Richard Graves - 1944

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #119 on: September 24, 2017, 11:18:06 AM »
Imgur works pretty well as a photo host. 

BTW, nice bunch of photos you have posted on this thread.  Neat telescope.
(Mark Twain)

Offline buzzacott

• Whetstone +
« Reply #120 on: September 24, 2017, 04:20:37 PM »
Ah imgur. Haven't used that one. I'll have to check it out.

Thanks, the telescope is a relatively new toy. 100 years old this year and weighs a ton. It's the same model as used by British and Australian snipers in WWI. In the pic I was using it for a spot of mountain scouting and field panorama sketching.

Cheers!
Don't kill unless for the pot. Don't fell a green tree for a pole if there are dry poles nearby. Study the bush, learn to read its secrets; watch the mason fly building and go to the ant for another lesson... then you'll realise the bush is your friend.
Richard Graves - 1944

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #121 on: September 24, 2017, 04:32:27 PM »
I'm really enjoying your photos, Buzz! :thumbsup: :hail:

Offline Katonijon

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #122 on: October 01, 2017, 02:47:44 PM »
RIP photobucket. Imgur and other alternatives are better anyway. Why did they go with such insane prices for images?

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #123 on: October 02, 2017, 07:51:03 AM »
So let me ask, If I pay for PB will all my pictures go back online in all my million forum posts?

Yeah great photo's. Wicked cruiser (fixed!) and vintage toy's. I want to know what that other thing is. Are you sniping martians? Cause it looks like you could zoom in on one at least!!!!!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 12:27:28 PM by xj35s »
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #124 on: October 02, 2017, 12:17:44 PM »
Nice Land Cruiser in that one photo. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #125 on: October 02, 2017, 01:06:44 PM »
So let me ask, If I pay for PB will all my pictures go back online in all my million forum posts?

Yeah great photo's. Wicked cruiser (fixed!) and vintage toy's. I want to know what that other thing is. Are you sniping martians? Cause it looks like you could zoom in on one at least!!!!!
I think PB has taken lessons from the Ransom Ware hackers!!!

Offline buzzacott

• Whetstone +
« Reply #126 on: October 02, 2017, 05:45:23 PM »

I think PB has taken lessons from the Ransom Ware hackers!!!

I think this'll spell doom for photobucket. I understand that it would cost a bunch to run the service and that click-through advertising isn't a viable funding source in this day and age of ad-blocker extensions in browsers, but their pricing structure is nuts. Most folks I know who use forums and such would probably have paid $20 or maybe even $50 a year if all this had been done in a reasonable fashion. But yeah, ransom ware style blackmail tactics were never going to work out well for photobucket.

I create d anew thread for vehicle stuff and edited this one - http://bladesandbushlore.com/index.php?topic=14155.new#new
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 07:25:31 PM by buzzacott »
Richard Graves - 1944

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #127 on: October 02, 2017, 05:49:27 PM »
Heck, yes.....DO it! :banana: :cheers:

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #128 on: October 02, 2017, 06:13:34 PM »
A hunting buddy of mine had that vintage Land Cruiser. We made a trek up the Nachez Trail in the Cascades. There was his LR, my '67 Scout, a 70's vintage Bronco, a Jeep CJ and an F150 p/u.  His Land Rover and my Scout were the only two that survived.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #129 on: October 07, 2017, 12:52:31 PM »
I posted a workaround fix I found elsewhere for this PBkt issue in another topic, so it would not be hidden in this one 3 pages in & easier to find for those who would like to try it. It is located here:
http://bladesandbushlore.com/index.php?topic=14161.new#new

G'Luck!
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #130 on: October 07, 2017, 02:22:05 PM »
I did this and it works. I can see all my very old pics that had disappeared. Can all of you though?

For example upthecreek's chevy was missing. Now it's there again. Can you all see it in post #9 ?

http://bladesandbushlore.com/index.php?topic=7267.0
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #131 on: October 07, 2017, 02:52:24 PM »
I did this and it works. I can see all my very old pics that had disappeared. Can all of you though?

For example upthecreek's chevy was missing. Now it's there again. Can you all see it in post #9 ?

http://bladesandbushlore.com/index.php?topic=7267.0
Nope. Post #9 still shows "3rd party..." crap!

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #132 on: October 07, 2017, 02:57:20 PM »
I posted a workaround fix I found elsewhere for this PBkt issue in another topic, so it would not be hidden in this one 3 pages in & easier to find for those who would like to try it. It is located here:

G'Luck!
Not sure which extension to pick. Reviews say sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.
Which one are you using, XJ?  I'm running Chrome.

UPDATE: I picked the one for Chrome written by Jesse Evers. Now I can see Upthecreek's truck! Yea!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 03:02:36 PM by Old Philosopher »

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #133 on: October 07, 2017, 05:05:27 PM »
Very cool. I'm using firefox and the newest version. I'm using the photobucket embed fix extension.

The best part of this is the ability to see other' photos There are soo many tutorials online that are worthless without pics. Now I can see them!!!

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #134 on: October 07, 2017, 05:11:53 PM »

G'Luck!
Excellent find, JB!!!  THANK YOU!!!

:cheers:

Offline buzzacott

• Whetstone +
« Reply #135 on: October 07, 2017, 08:30:55 PM »

G'Luck!

Thanks mate.

The internets are now un-broken again ;-)

upthecreek's Dodge is showing up fine.
Richard Graves - 1944