Author Topic: longer colder winters ahead  (Read 574 times)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
longer colder winters ahead
« on: July 09, 2017, 04:20:07 PM »
as many of know. the sun for some time has been cooling  down.
it's a cyclical thing. the maunder minimum took place between the 1700's
and 1800's.sharpen up those double bit axes ya hear.
seriously though this something we cannot control but we can prepare for.
some scientist believe it start to happen as soon as 2018.
thing is this does not happen all at once thank goodness.

But some of the early effects could cause many problems to the worlds
satelites and comms. massive cme's are common just prior to a
cooling cycle of the sun. any way might be good to go long on
thermal clothing. oh btw where are those southern members of ours.
i can see it now me hollerin up the driveway it's me shakey
only to hear the sound of a couple 12'ga's racking.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
Re: longer colder winters ahead
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 04:30:31 PM »
Well...not this coming winter, anyway. These folks nailed last winter to a "T".  I hope they are right about the coming year.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/90day/

The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 04:41:25 PM »
well OP ' always err on the side of caution. i'm puttin' by 4yrs wood this yr.
who knows where my back will be in 3 yrs'LOL

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 11:48:00 PM »
well OP ' always err on the side of caution. i'm puttin' by 4yrs wood this yr.
who knows where my back will be in 3 yrs'LOL
LOL! It only took me about a year to go from spitting 2 cords per day, to taking 2 days to split 1 cord. <groan>  I have 2 cord of wood in my back yard right now, but I'm not splitting wood when it's 101F outside!!
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 04:52:04 AM »
OP axes are cool but a 22ton log splitter is your friend, now if it could only
do the stacking too.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 05:49:12 AM »
I have not had a fireplace in over 20 years now.  Don't miss it. 

I'd like to see some colder winters.  Tired of Christmas in shorts and tee shirts.   lol

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 08:59:58 AM »
We have a couple of cords put up, mostly burr oak and pine, some ash.  Should get through the winter as we use the electric radiant heat more and more.  I like a wood stove going though so I still heat the shop with it.   It isn't as much fun to cut and stack as it was forty years ago.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 05:04:36 PM »
We have a couple of cords put up, mostly burr oak and pine, some ash.  Should get through the winter as we use the electric radiant heat more and more.  I like a wood stove going though so I still heat the shop with it.  It isn't as much fun to cut and stack as it was forty years ago.
You noticed that, too?  I love the coziness of the wood heat, but it's getting to be more chore, and less enjoyment.  I'm looking at a 6 ton electric splitter that will deal with a few knots. If I can continue to avoid the fir slash trees in the future, I can manage the tamarack (larch) easily enough with an ax.
Quite honestly, swinging the ax is the least tiring of the whole operation. It's all the bending and hauling that kills me off.  A log splitter isn't going to help with that. Pick up a piece, carry to the splitter, split it, it falls on the ground, pick it up again...<sigh>  And my ax doesn't have a 20-30sec return wait for the ram. LOL.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 05:19:49 PM »
Ol' P, when the time comes that the axe return rate matches the return rate on the powered splitter......it's a sign that it is time to invest in a propane tank! :chopwood:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 10:25:11 PM »
Ol' P, when the time comes that the axe return rate matches the return rate on the powered splitter......it's a sign that it is time to invest in a propane tank! :chopwood:
Not sure I follow "return rate", Craig, or where propane comes in.

We did a little contest a few years ago.  $1400 gas wood splitter vs. my Kelly DB.  Wood: seasoned larch

I had my 2 sons with me. The guy with the splitter had his son.
The boy would feed the splitter, and my sons would grab a piece of cord wood, set it on my chopping block in the optimum direction (no knots facing me, etc.) and I'd whack it.

The first 1/2 hr I was out-pacing him 2-to-1.  After an hour, I was getting tired, but the gas hog wasn't.  The splitter didn't have to stop for water breaks or other rest stops. The other guy was cheating, though. He'd grab his water bottle while the ram was recycling.

In the end, it was kinda like a quarter horse racing a thorough bred.  I was ahead for the fist quarter mile...then not so much.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 12:25:23 PM »
We already have 12 face cord stacked. We'll have another 12 delivered soon. I can get it cheaper than 1 months propane bill. so 2 months of propane equals 24 face cord of wood. 2 months propane vs 6 months of stove heat! We still use propane at night when the house cools enough for the furnace to kick on.

I'm feeling this winter will be bad too. I thought that last winter and we had no snow?

6 rows 5'x12'...

pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 12:42:35 PM »
I'm ready for a cold winter here too.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2017, 01:31:42 PM »
In our area a face cord is about 1/3 of a cord and runs either side of $70 for ash or burr oak.  A little less for pine.  It is about a full size long bed stacked to the rails and you have to drive up to an hour to get it sometimes.

Our house has propane forced air which we do not use.  It also has baseboard electric and some wall mounted high radiant units.  They cost very little to run compared to propane and our electric will runs about $150 a month in the winter just for the heat.  (We have a heat meter and that sells for a little less than normal electric usage by the KWH).  I have never calculated what the wood heat costs but suspect it is close to the same as electric so electric gets the nod.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline SamD

• Mill File+
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2017, 04:06:17 PM »

I'd like to see some colder winters.  Tired of Christmas in shorts and tee shirts.   lol

I have q working wood burning fireplace at the house here in Mims, FL (well kinda in Mims, really it the swamps inland from there! ;D ).

SamD
U.S. Army Paratrooper, DAV (life member), American Legion (life member), NMLRA (1 of 1000 member) & (life Member), NRA (life member)
"BY THE RUDE BRIDGE THAT ARCHED THE FLOOD. THEIR FLAG TO APRILS BREEZE UNFURLED. HERE ONCE THE EMBATTLED FARMERS STOOD. AND FIRED THE SHOT HEARD ROUND THE WORLD!"

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2017, 04:37:14 PM »
just saying, the northern hemisphere streches from the artic to the equator.

Offline Orbean

• Whetstone +
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2017, 04:45:24 PM »
We had a mild winter, not enough moisture, but other than that no complaints. I get apricots out of my backyard tree about once every four years , the other years it blooms too quickly and then we have a freeze.  However this year when we got our late freeze the fruit was large enough to survive it. For the past ten days i have canned well over 48 pints of apricot halves, and another 60 pint and half pint jars of jam and butter. Apricot butter is amazing.

Global warming will feed the world; global cooling, I am all about it, living in new mexico and all. 8)
Nice matters

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2017, 05:00:42 PM »
I'm ready for a cold winter here too.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That's a nice looking sandle... :banana:

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2017, 11:20:14 PM »
In our area a face cord is about 1/3 of a cord ...

Same here. A cord is 4x4x8 = 128 cu ft. A "face cord" is the face of a stacked cord, or 4' x 8' x 16" (one stick thick), or 42.6 cu ft stacked any way you want.  My calculator tells me 24 face cords would equal 8 cords, or 1,024 cu ft.

$70 for a 1/3 cord ($210/cord) would have me quit burning wood tomorrow.

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2017, 03:38:02 PM »
An interesting article I found, had to do with one of the survey ships engaged in studying global warming, they had to postpone their trip because of the unusual amount of ice where they were going to make their study. 

The sun is in the downward part of the 11 year cycle, I believe the bottom is in 2020.  That cycle merely reflects the amount of sun spot activity, another factor that has an impact on our weather is the incidence of coronal holes, which allow the solar wind to impact our planet. 

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2017, 06:12:22 PM »
An interesting article I found, had to do with one of the survey ships engaged in studying global warming, they had to postpone their trip because of the unusual amount of ice where they were going to make their study. 

The sun is in the downward part of the 11 year cycle, I believe the bottom is in 2020.  That cycle merely reflects the amount of sun spot activity, another factor that has an impact on our weather is the incidence of coronal holes, which allow the solar wind to impact our planet.

LOL!  Well, some parts of the country (Appalachia?) may have a tough winter coming up, but the PNW is in the bright red warmer-than-normal part of the Climate Prediction maps, all the way through NEXT summer!

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2017, 06:30:46 PM »
OP

I could go for that...

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2017, 09:15:39 PM »
OP

I could go for that...

Go to this site, then pull up the various 90 day forecasts.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/90day/

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2017, 05:53:32 AM »

I have q working wood burning fireplace at the house here in Mims, FL (well kinda in Mims, really it the swamps inland from there! ;D ).

SamD
Sam,  the house I had here in Gainesville, prior to this one, had a wood burning fire place.  I used it often, and enjoyed it.  Many homes here are so equipped.

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2017, 09:30:46 AM »
OP

For  Dec, Jan, Feb, it looks like we have a 50% chance of above normal temps.  I could go for that..thanks..j

But the caveat here is that this is just a prediction, and sometimes they cannot get it right from day to day let alone months in advance..

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2017, 10:00:18 AM »
OP

For  Dec, Jan, Feb, it looks like we have a 50% chance of above normal temps.  I could go for that..thanks..j

But the caveat here is that this is just a prediction, and sometimes they cannot get it right from day to day let alone months in advance..
It also means we have a 50% chance of business as usual. Those predictions called last winter, and this summer pretty accurately 6 months in advance. Can't fool Mother Nature, but they have been pretty accurate over the past 3 years.

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2017, 12:17:54 PM »
OP

After last winter I would like a little milder winter.  After I got the rig with the tracks that sure made my life a lot easier.

I have lots of standing dead stuff I would like to cut for fire wood, but it is so dry right now I do not dare run the chain saw.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2017, 01:02:02 PM »
OP

After last winter I would like a little milder winter.  After I got the rig with the tracks that sure made my life a lot easier.

I have lots of standing dead stuff I would like to cut for fire wood, but it is so dry right now I do not dare run the chain saw.
We just went from Stage I fire restrictions to Stage II  today. Not sure why they relaxed it since conditions haven't changed. Smokey haze everywhere. British Columbia is burning up!

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2017, 01:51:03 PM »
   xj35s

A nice pile of fire wood, and you have a good crop of Sumac.