Author Topic: DROUGHT  (Read 292 times)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
DROUGHT
« on: July 27, 2017, 02:44:14 PM »
Drought Monitor: Drought Growing Across the U.S.

https://www.agweb.com/article/drought-monitor-drought-growing-across-the-us-naa-wes-mills/

(Via AgWeb)

We are presently in stage D2 (Severe Drought).....how 'bout you?
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
Re: DROUGHT
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 03:23:23 PM »
flooded like mad. Not only does it rain every other day but it's a torrential downpour when it does. The rivers just start to recede and then it rains again. I haven't had the canoe out yet this year :(

I wish we could pipe it all out west. It's kind of funny. Most of our run off goes into lake Ontario(North) then eventually finds it's way to the Gulf of Mexico.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 03:31:11 PM by xj35s »
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 04:16:20 PM »
We are dry as and bone and 13 or so 90+ days. We had a month of rain and cool before that. Mother nature is a fickle mistress

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 06:17:44 PM »

It's rained an average of 3-1/2 days a week here since the middle of March,  all the rivers, ponds and lakes are over the norm for this time of year, and the woods are wet all the time,  this must be what the PNW is like all the time.
  The worst part is that the area has been transformed into a jungle,  I've got Mulien stalks growing in my back yard fence line where there was grass last summer, one stalk is over seven feet tall, got some kind of strange weeds, Cudzu, and God only knows what, and they thrive on Round Up,  a little drought would be welcome right about now.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 07:42:05 PM »
No drought here overall, but for about a 10 mile radius around me it is drier than it should be.  I can watch storms on radar heading this way and regardless of which direction they're moving they dry up before they get here.  Some sort of dry microclime right around here.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 07:57:48 PM »
No drought here overall, but for about a 10 mile radius around me it is drier than it should be.  I can watch storms on radar heading this way and regardless of which direction they're moving they dry up before they get here.  Some sort of dry microclime right around here.
That seems to be exactly what happens here, too.  Once it gets abnormally dry, any moisture in the air just ceases to exist.  Fronts come through constantly, but with no humidity in the air, the cold fronts do not trigger any meaningful rain events.....there might be a .15" sprinkle or two, but the all-day 'soakers' just don't happen.  Droughts, once they start, just feed on themselves and those "microclimes" just intensify. :-\

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 08:02:44 PM »
We are dry here as well.  Drought is severe.  We get those .15 to .30 rains and the heat and wind takes them away as fast as they get here.  Got .85 today and three hours later the road is dry and starting to get dusty again.  Alfalfa hay goes as high as $200 a ton (up from $85 last year this time) for 2nd cut and the lowest around is $150 a ton for decent hay. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 05:51:13 PM »
on the high side of the place the ground is startin ti crack up a bit.
but no as bad as some years back. i heard back the we had folks comming from a few states away
just to buy hay. and all bales round and square were damm spendy too. the farmland in
illinois was white and looked like places in africa during a famine,

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2017, 09:27:20 PM »
Lincoln got about 2.5" just the other day.
What a great day to be outside.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2017, 10:15:37 PM »
Lincoln's about 2 1/2 hours away from us and they were not included in the severe drought classification even before that 2.5" rain that they got a few days ago, but I heard that it was getting pretty dry down there, too.  That's the way it goes some years.  :-\

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2017, 06:45:14 AM »
here in North Florida,   from last fall to March this year,  we had about 6 months of what they called the most serious drought in 100 years.  We got about 1/4 of what was 'normal'. 
For the past two months though, it has been the wettest EVER in recorded history.    Over 34 inches.   Annual rainfall is only around 50 inches.        Go figure.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 06:50:48 AM by Mannlicher »

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2017, 03:24:41 PM »
The State's Department of Forestry changed the fire threat from high to extreme last week. There are ten active fires between Washington and Oregon.  Averaging 85+deg., and 10-12% humidity during the hottest part of the day and no rain in sight.

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2017, 06:05:06 AM »
No drought in East Texas this year.  Houston got 4" to 8" of rain in the last 24 hours and the south side of the city will likely flood.
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver